21 replies to this topic

#1 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,459 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:18 PM

While I'll always prefer Sirius, here's some links to articles and other sites to help you decide.

Articles

Radio Goes Digital

Satellite Radio: XM or Sirius?

Satellite Radio Shoots The Moon

Info

How Satellite Radio Works

CNET's Quick Guide to Satellite Radio

Crutchfield Advisor: Satellite Radio

Satellite Radio Blog

Online Communities

Sirius Backstage

XM Fan

Satellite Radio Companies

Sirius Satellite Radio

XM Radio

#2 Tom

Tom

Buffalo Born Bills Fan in NJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:06 AM

I had XM & switched to Sirius because of NFL programming and the impending Howard Stern move. Comparing the two, XM has better sports channels (other than NFL) with the Sporting News and FoxSports and much better reception (less drop-outs due to tree's, etc). This is huge.....

#3 Bill from NYC

Bill from NYC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:27 PM

Could someone tell me more about the NFL station on Sirius? Is there an additional cost to get the games as like DirecTV?
Also, is there 24 hour football talk radio?
Thanks.

#4 Zamboni Man

Zamboni Man

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

Could someone tell me more about the NFL station on Sirius? Is there an additional cost to get the games as like DirecTV?
Also, is there 24 hour football talk radio?
Thanks.

There are no extra costs involved with the NFL games. The NFL Radio station is 24 hours, however they replay the day time shows during late night.

Off topic but Dan Reeves and Chris Mohr are the hosts of one of the shows.

#5 Bill from NYC

Bill from NYC

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

There are no extra costs involved with the NFL games. The NFL Radio station is 24 hours, however they replay the day time shows during late night.

Off topic but Dan Reeves and Chris Mohr are the hosts of one of the shows.

View Post

Thanks! I cant wait to put this in my car!

#6 tennesseeboy

tennesseeboy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,994 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:01 AM

I've done rather well with Sirius stock.

#7 LABillzFan

LABillzFan

Plan Ahea!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:29 AM

Finally giving in to Sirius radio and need input for those who use it.

Looking at a deal for the Sportster Replay with executive docking station and car kit for $99. I suspect they have a new one coming out, but I'm looking for feedback on this unit.

Anyone using it? Everyone happy with their service? Preference for service plans?

#8 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,459 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Preference for service plans?

It depends on how long you'll have the service and how much you're willing to pay upfront. The Lifetime is a good deal, you can even upgrade a radio at a later time for just an additional $75. I've got three radios on my account, two are month to month, one is on a six month plan, since it was a deal for a free radio when you subscribed for 6 months.

#9 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

It depends on how long you'll have the service and how much you're willing to pay upfront. The Lifetime is a good deal, you can even upgrade a radio at a later time for just an additional $75. I've got three radios on my account, two are month to month, one is on a six month plan, since it was a deal for a free radio when you subscribed for 6 months.

I thought I read that you can't get lifetime anymore, since they're looking to merge with XM?

#10 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,459 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

It's still listed as available on their webpage for $499.

#11 LABillzFan

LABillzFan

Plan Ahea!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

It's still listed as available on their webpage for $499.

That subscription would make sense if you were flipping out your receiver every six or seven years, but I have to wonder...is your Sirius radio like your cellphone? Are you upgrading it every year or so?

#12 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,459 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

That subscription would make sense if you were flipping out your receiver every six or seven years, but I have to wonder...is your Sirius radio like your cellphone? Are you upgrading it every year or so?

It depends on the person. If you need the latest/greatest features, then you would change every couple of years. But me, I'm still happy with my original radio I got over three years ago.

#13 Mike In Illinois

Mike In Illinois

Getting the Led Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

I have owned a Sportster Replay for a year-and-a-half and love it. I have been rough on my unit, though; I've been through two low-profile antennas (I'm now using the one that came with the boombox- which I enjoy as well) and one power supply. I am constantly taking my portable car unit in and out of cars for my job or personal life. If you use the suction cup and mount it to your windshield it shouldn't be a problem- I don't use that feature for whatever reason. I see myself keeping my replay for quite some time; I don't see a need to upgrade to a new unit right now. Keep checking Sirius. Also check out Autorized Sirius Seller; they seem to have options on radios and equipment/accessories.

The content is great too. I do listen to Stern and his channels (FERRALL!) but love the music channels. Those are commercial-free.

Hope this helps out some.

Mike

#14 Andrew in CA

Andrew in CA

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Does anyone know if Sirius automatically renews your account or allows it to expire? I signed up for a 2-year deal in Feb. '07, and I don't use my radio much anymore since I'm driving much less. The deal allowed for a one-time payment at the time of activation, and the website is ambiguous regarding renewal. Do I need to contact them to tell them I don't want to renew or can I just let it go? Thanks.

#15 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,459 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone know if Sirius automatically renews your account or allows it to expire? I signed up for a 2-year deal in Feb. '07, and I don't use my radio much anymore since I'm driving much less. The deal allowed for a one-time payment at the time of activation, and the website is ambiguous regarding renewal. Do I need to contact them to tell them I don't want to renew or can I just let it go? Thanks.

It's automatic.

#16 Andrew in CA

Andrew in CA

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

It's automatic.

Thanks.

#17 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Anyone know if you can get baseball games on Sirius? I get football games on XM right now with the best of Sirius

#18 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,459 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Anyone know if you can get baseball games on Sirius? I get football games on XM right now with the best of Sirius

MLB was an exclusive for XM, last I read this past spring it was still going to be exclusive. So you should be fine as an XM subscriber.

#19 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

MLB was an exclusive for XM, last I read this past spring it was still going to be exclusive. So you should be fine as an XM subscriber.

I don't understand why they're keeping stuff separate. Seems like it would make more sense to just combine everything and be done with it. They're a single company, but it's really hard to tell....

#20 dse2010

dse2010

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

I cant even listen to terrestrial radio anymore. Howard 100 & 101 is about all I listen to. Sirius ftw!