7 replies to this topic

#1 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

So once i moved out (in October) i started eating out alot but i did exercise daily as my apartment is above a fitness center which made daily exercise really convenient. In a month i put on like 5 pounds which finally made me understand the true impact of a diet has on your body composition.

From about mid-December to now (excluding 4 days during the holidays), I've been eating mostly veggies/fruit and a lot of meat (mostly chicken, tuna) as well as 2 protein shakes a day (one breakfast and one post workout)

I've also had to be very careful about the meat I eat because I had high cholesterol so I've been monitoring that as well.

I started out at 240 (6 feet tall). So far, in about a month and a half, I've lost about 20 pounds, i've gotten a lot stronger (since I'm doing a lot of low rep sets to increase strength and maximize my muscle growth). I can average my daily calorie intake to about 1800 / day (while my RMR + daily energy consumption is about 3000).

So ther you have it, i've tried the soup diet, i've tried low carb, i've tried a ton of things but cutting out crap carbs like pasta and bread and replacing with complex carbs like broccoli, celery carrots and alot of fruit have worked so far.

Keep in mind that i can very easily fall off the wagon but the positive results have motivated me. I've kept the junk food ratio to about once a week when I'm hanging out with friends and it's been alright so far.

#2 RkFast

RkFast

Schmuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

Its not the hard way.

Burn more than you take in.

It really couldnt be SIMPLER.

#3 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

Its not the hard way.

Burn more than you take in.

It really couldnt be SIMPLER.

It's hard when you're Italian and you're used to eating pasta every day and have a terrible sweet tooth :lol:

#4 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

It's hard when you're Italian and you're used to eating pasta every day and have a terrible sweet tooth :thumbsup:

It's hard when you're human. I'm not fat and it's hard not to overeat. But only every day. It never gets easier but it does become a habit.

#5 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

It's hard when you're Italian and you're used to eating pasta every day and have a terrible sweet tooth :lol:

switch to wheat pasta and have fruit instead of candy. You don't have to give up as much as you think. I lost 7 pounds in 2 months. Unfortunately, I have ways to go.

#6 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

switch to wheat pasta and have fruit instead of candy. You don't have to give up as much as you think. I lost 7 pounds in 2 months. Unfortunately, I have ways to go.

Just as an update, since May, I have lost 30 pounds and am down to 185

#7 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

I'm not a dieter but have recently found an eating style that makes a lot of sense, and I'm losing weight I didn't think I needed to, and having a huge boost in energy and other general health. Try out Paleo eating, the premise of which is just to eat things humans evolved to eat as hunter gatherers, so no dairy, no added sugars, and no grains of any sort (that no oatmeal, no bread, no pasta, no wheat, etc.). My cheat food is red wine...how can I help it if paleolithic people didn't make wine?

Kind of simple in approach. My wife is a huge fan of Sara Fragaso's Everyday Paleo cookbook. For her, Paleo-based eating breaks a 7 year streak of being a vegetarian eating no fish or meat of any kind. It's cured a skin ailment (Rosacea) in about 2 weeks, after struggling with it for years. Also given her a huge energy boost (this for a woman who is at the gym at 4am 6 days a week).

Just throwing it out there. I eat whenever I'm hungry and am not overweight by most measures, but I'm losing some stubborn stomach flab and appear to be on my way to definition through my middle that I never thought possible.

#8 dayman

dayman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

A whole foods and plant based diet will literally cure disease. Not only will it keep you healthy, it will reverse heart disease and diabetes. No medicine can do that.