27 replies to this topic

#1 SDS

SDS

What price for a cobra's egg?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

Two Bills Drive updated the message board software this weekend to finally take advantage of a newer software release. It has been, many, many years since we have done this due to the fairly significant effort that is involved. Along with this, our skin has changed significantly from the old skin. It took quite awhile for 1.9 million posts to be converted, but we hope you find it was worth it.

You will find many improvements, such as:

Link Sharing
Easily share links from your community to Facebook, Twitter, and more. Great way to drive traffic to your community!

Status Updates
Enhancements to the existing member status system in IP.Board to include the ability to reply and more.

Topic Preview
Preview the first few lines of a topic without loading the entire topic.

View Reputation
Optionally allow your members to see who gave reputation points on their posts.

Twitter Integration
Your members can now link their account with their Twitter account!

Improved Facebook Integration
Further enhance the link between your community and Facebook to drive traffic. Including new Facebook Graph API

Profile Customizations: Part 1 and Part 2
Allow your members to customize the look and feel of their profile page.

Notification System
An easier way to be notified of all the various events that happen in your community. And Improvements

Search Engine Overhaul
Search engine rebuilt from the ground up introducing more flexibility and power.

All new Mobile Skin
Mobile skin for many popular devices to enable easy access to your community.

Automatic Media Embedding
Automatic parsing of YouTube and other media into posts.

Thank you for choosing Two Bills Drive as your Buffalo Bills message board of choice!

#2 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,832 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

Agghhh!! Change!! Change bad!!

(until I get used to it)

#3 Astrobot

Astrobot

TSW's Draft Droid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

Very clean-looking, very crisp. Me Likey!

#4 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

The new search function is horrible.

#5 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

View PostGG, on 23 August 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

The new search function is horrible.

Ok... care to expend upon that?

The old one wasn't all that great either.

#6 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2010 - 12:36 PM, said:

Ok... care to expend upon that?

The old one wasn't all that great either.

Sure, the old one I thought was more feature rich in filtering out individual posts vs topics and easier to tie posters to the search string.  Unless I'm misisng something obvious, it looks much harder to filter out what I'm looking for.

#7 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

View PostGG, on 23 August 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

Sure, the old one I thought was more feature rich in filtering out individual posts vs topics and easier to tie posters to the search string.  Unless I'm misisng something obvious, it looks much harder to filter out what I'm looking for.

Click on that incredibly obvious gear next to it (the universal graphic for advanced search :rolleyes:) and I think you'll get what you are looking for.

#8 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2010 - 01:14 PM, said:

Click on that incredibly obvious gear next to it (the universal graphic for advanced search :rolleyes:) and I think you'll get what you are looking for.

Not quite, tried that and it's inferior.

Before, you could type in a few letters of a user' sname and the popup would narrow down the list to select the exact name.  Now, it looks like you have to get the exact name in the search box.  Also, the filter to show posts vs topics isn't there.  Lastly, when you do manage to find the post you're looking for, you can't do anything with it unless you click on the post link on the upper right.

So maybe the search mechanism is faster, but the search function for us knuckleheads is more cumbersome and less functional.  Unless it was intentional on your part to ease the clubbing of morons.

#9 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

View PostGG, on 23 August 2010 - 02:56 PM, said:

Not quite, tried that and it's inferior.

Before, you could type in a few letters of a user' sname and the popup would narrow down the list to select the exact name.  Now, it looks like you have to get the exact name in the search box.  Also, the filter to show posts vs topics isn't there. Lastly, when you do manage to find the post you're looking for, you can't do anything with it unless you click on the post link on the upper right.

So maybe the search mechanism is faster, but the search function for us knuckleheads is more cumbersome and less functional.  Unless it was intentional on your part to ease the clubbing of morons.

That's the way it has always been. The old function gave you the option to view a list of posts, but there was nothing you could do until you went to where the post lived. There is an option to display posts vs. topics. Just look again.

I can see the auto-complete function being convenient.

I don't write the stuff, I just install it. As far as I can see, it is almost exactly the same. The only diff being the auto-complete function.

#10 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2010 - 03:05 PM, said:

That's the way it has always been. The old function gave you the option to view a list of posts, but there was nothing you could do until you went to where the post lived.

Again, close, but not quite.  The old board gave you a list of posts and you could click on the post and it brought you to the post.  Now it just brings you to the top of the page where the search string was found, but not to the post.

There is an option to display posts vs. topics. Just look again.

Nope, the only option is "Search Titles Only"

I can see the auto-complete function being convenient.

I don't write the stuff, I just install it. As far as I can see, it is almost exactly the same. The only diff being the auto-complete function.

Not even close.

#11 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

View PostGG, on 23 August 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

Again, close, but not quite.  The old board gave you a list of posts and you could click on the post and it brought you to the post.  Now it just brings you to the top of the page where the search string was found, but not to the post.

Nope, the only option is "Search Titles Only"

Not even close.

Here are the screen shots... Unless you aren't conveying what you mean correctly, the green arows point to exactly what you say is missing.

Attached File  Picture 2 copy.png   74.34K   13 downloads Attached File  Picture 3 copy.png   199.18K   11 downloads

#12 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

Here are the screen shots... Unless you aren't conveying what you mean correctly, the green arows point to exactly what you say is missing.

Attachment Picture 2 copy.png Attachment Picture 3 copy.png

That's not the Search box I'm getting.  Maybe you have more controls as an admin.  I only see search options to filter the word, date & member, along with places to search - members, forums, gallery.

#13 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

View PostGG, on 23 August 2010 - 04:19 PM, said:

That's not the Search box I'm getting.  Maybe you have more controls as an admin.  I only see search options to filter the word, date & member, along with places to search - members, forums, gallery.

I can't imagine why they would be different. Can you upload a screen shot?

#14 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,832 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

Here's the screen shots I get (had to split it in two pics)

http://i35.tinypic.com/nye0jq.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/3599w5u.jpg

Edited by Just Jack, 23 August 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#15 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostJust Jack, on 23 August 2010 - 06:21 PM, said:

Here's the screen shots I get (had to split it in two pics)

http://i35.tinypic.com/nye0jq.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/3599w5u.jpg

that is exactly what my screen looks like. BTW, you could have uploaded them here.

#16 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,832 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

I don't get the attachment option on this part of the forums, tried the insert image and that didn't work either.

#17 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Gerry, try clicking on the "forums" button on the form. That opens up the new options.

#18 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,832 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

While we're talking about searches, can the word length be changed from 4 letters to 3? Many times I'm searching for a post that I know part of it was a three letter word, but the search engine rejects it because the word is not long enough.

#19 SDS

SDS

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

View PostJust Jack, on 23 August 2010 - 09:35 PM, said:

While we're talking about searches, can the word length be changed from 4 letters to 3? Many times I'm searching for a post that I know part of it was a three letter word, but the search engine rejects it because the word is not long enough.

I don't think so.

#20 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2010 - 07:36 PM, said:

Gerry, try clicking on the "forums" button on the form. That opens up the new options.

I think it could be the software controls that corporate IT puts on Explorer.  Attached is the image I get on the work laptop, but I get the full search function on the hoome PC.

Attached Files

• Attached File  tsw.jpg   92.46K   7 downloads