• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

Serves: 6
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: 3 Hours
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
1 x package of dry yeast (Do not use quick-rise)
3/4 cup tepid potato water (80 – 100 F)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup mashed potatoes. Don't add salt but do reserve the liquid
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp caraway seeds

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 x egg white, beaten with 1 1/2 tsp water
x kosher salt for dusting
x caraway seeds for dusting

Cooking Instructions:
1. Mix yeast with 1/4 cup of the tepid potato water and sugar in a separate bowl large enough to hold the remaining ingridents.
2. Combine mashed potatoes, remaining potato water, milk, butter, salt and caraway seeds in a separate bowl.
3. When yeast mixture is foamy, stir in the contents of 2., above. Add the flour, a cup at a time, stirring until dough comes away from bowl.
4. Turn out onto floured board and let rest while you clean and butter a bowl. Knead dough 10 minutes, adding flour if necessary to create a smooth dough. I use a mixer with dough hooks, on the "Fold" setting.
5. Return to bowl and roll dough around to coat it with butter. Cover with a towel and let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours. Punch dough down, knead again, flouring as needed, for 1-2 minutes. Roll out and divide into six pieces.
6. Form each piece into a smooth ball. Then flatten ball slightly so that it is roll shaped. Set 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
7. Cover loosely with towel and let rise until double in bulk, less than 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 375 F.
9. Make the star-shaped indentations with a spatula, and brush rolls with egg white mixture and sprinkle with desired amount of kosher salt and caraway seeds.
10. Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 F and bake 15-20 minutes, until rolls are medium brown.
11. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.

Serving Suggestions: I use cheap rump roast sliced thin, that has been cooked rare, and pitch it into a pouch of one-dollar au jus mix that has been boiling in a 2-quart kettle. I have one of those rare curly-cue, french-fry whole-potato devices, putting them into a cheap-o deep fryer, that I use outside on my porch because of smell and fire concern.

Additional Comments: You can freeze the dough after the first rising. Thaw, continue with the second rise. They will not rise very much, but they still taste good.