Photo

Warm Up With Cardio, Then Go To Weights. Right? Wrong.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,469 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

http://www.thepostga...hts-right-wrong

#2 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

I hope more people see this. I know a lot of people who go to the gym, hit the eliptical for 20-30 minutes and call it a day. Even those Zoomba classes do not do much good. A 30-45 minute class barely touches the fat burning.

Also, I love people that lift for more then an hour or take their time doing it working out the same muscle group with half a dozen exercises. Get your warmup, stretch, pick 3 or 4 exercises, work out the muscle group in less then 40 minutes, cardio, stretch, sauna for 15 minutes then go home. You can be in and out the door in 90 minutes with this.

#3 BuffaloBillsSD

BuffaloBillsSD

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

I do 1-3 miles on the treadmill, then 4-5 exercises per daily muscle groups (day 1 chest/back, day 2 bi/tri, day 3 legs/shoulders), finish up with some stairs.

#4 paintmyhouse

paintmyhouse

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

I do all upper body in 1 day, debating whether I should split them up or not. Used to lift a lot and do craploads of cardio, but over the last 5 years I have loaded on 20 pounds after being married and got lazy. Need to really get back into. Just hit 40 too. Body is sore. I used to do 30-40miles a week jogging for 15 years straight before I got lazy 5 years ago.

#5 miserable_fan

miserable_fan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

you can get a great workout in 25 minutes if you know what you're doing. No need to be at the gym for 90 minutes at a time

#6 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

I go on the treadmill for a 10-minute warmup, do an upper body lift, a lower-body lift, crunches, then 20 minutes on the treadmill. Since May, I have lost 40 lbs. Every Wednesday, I substitute one hour of cardio and work off 900-1,000 calories.

Of course, changing my diet has helped as well

#7 Acantha

Acantha

Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

All these articles don't do anything but screw people up. The only "must do" thing about working out is actually working out. Find something you like and just do it. If your goal is to lose weight, diet is far more important than the order you do your workout.

#8 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

All these articles don't do anything but screw people up. The only "must do" thing about working out is actually working out. Find something you like and just do it. If your goal is to lose weight, diet is far more important than the order you do your workout.

I agree. If someone cuts their calorie intake and does an average of 30 minutes of exercise, they will lose weight. I'm stuck doing that now until I recover from my injury.

#9 Observer

Observer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

I agree. If someone cuts their calorie intake and does an average of 30 minutes of exercise, they will lose weight. I'm stuck doing that now until I recover from my injury.

Guarantee that if you eliminate all processed foods, eat no grains at all (no breads, pastas, beer, cereal, oats etc), no legumes (beans), no artificial sweeteners, minimal dairy and only natural sugar sources (fruits and veggies)--you can eat anything else you want and lose weight, and you will not be hungry.

Evolution agrees.

#10 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

Guarantee that if you eliminate all processed foods, eat no grains at all (no breads, pastas, beer, cereal, oats etc), no legumes (beans), no artificial sweeteners, minimal dairy and only natural sugar sources (fruits and veggies)--you can eat anything else you want and lose weight, and you will not be hungry.

Evolution agrees.

Life would suck though :wallbash:

#11 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hows the recovery going?

#12 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hows the recovery going?

I don't have any lower back pain anymore. Trying to decide how I will get back on the horse.

#13 Juror#8

Juror#8

A Rolex GMT and a glass of bourbon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Does this count for people only focused on gaining? I hardly do any cardio....like MAYBE once every few weeks. Even then my cardio consists of walking lunges. Is cardio a necessity? I don't want to burn anything and I'm consuming protein like it's scarce. I've gone from 191 to 215 in 9 months.

Can I assume that this is for people who are looking to lose weight?

#14 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,200 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

The idea behind the article is to use weight training to use up glycogen stores before doing cardio. I think its kind of silly, though, because your body will use glycogen for energy either way, and cardio burns a helluva lot more calories than weight training.

Here's a good article on weight and glycogen:

http://www.justinowi...nd-glycogen-de/

#15 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Does this count for people only focused on gaining? I hardly do any cardio....like MAYBE once every few weeks. Even then my cardio consists of walking lunges. Is cardio a necessity? I don't want to burn anything and I'm consuming protein like it's scarce. I've gone from 191 to 215 in 9 months.

Can I assume that this is for people who are looking to lose weight?

Your heart is just a muscle. If you work it, it gets stronger. If you don't, it won't.

IMO, any workout plan that ignores any aspect of cardio, building muscle, flexibility, coordination, rest (I include it because dedicated gym people like me often ignore this...I appreciate it more as I age) etc is incomplete. I workout with a huge muscleheaded guy that benches 380 and squats more than Iv'e ever cared to count. He played basketball with me a few years ago for about 30 minutes and couldn't keep up at all. It was embarrassing. He can't say he's in great shape despite years of a dedicated weightlifting program.

#16 millbank

millbank

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

it most important in any workout fitness plan that you properly before and after each workout warm up/ stretch and then properly cool down, each for about 10 minutes minimum .

Edited by millbank, 21 July 2012 - 06:57 AM.

#17 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

1342871823[/url]' post='2509790']
it most important in any workout fitness plan that you properly before and after each workout warm up/ stretch and then properly cool down, each for about 10 minutes minimum .

Warmup, yes. Stretch, not necessarily. Stretching weakens a muscle and can pre weaken you heading into performance. Sprinters performance has been shown to suffer after static stretching.

Edited by John Adams, 29 July 2012 - 06:11 AM.