Jump to content


Mike Mayock: Blackmon vs Floyd


  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    RIP Ralph Wilson

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

Mike Mayock said when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for.  . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ."  to paraphrase he said he is a big, strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for.  . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for.  . ." to the bext logical step, talent wise you're getting an elite, skilled WR at #10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

Edit:
The video is back up and was added to the ASU pro day video.

It turns out Mayock didn't stumble over his words as much as a
I remembered. The Floyd discussion starts at 2:32:

http://www.nfl.com/v...the-draft-board

(Mayock also agrees with me that Vontaze Burficit is not draftable.)

Edited by Why So Serious?, 31 March 2012 - 11:16 AM.


#2 BobChalmers

BobChalmers

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostWhy So Serious?, on 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Mike Mayock when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for.  . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ."  to paraphrase he said ge is big strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for.  . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

...

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

What you quote here clearly indicates that it was a big no-no for Mayock to say the specific issue with Floyd was "struggling with alcohol".  He realized his mistake the second time and stumbled trying not to repeat it.  That wasn't good enough so they pulled the video.

Edited by BobChalmers, 30 March 2012 - 05:30 AM.


#3 billsoverdue

billsoverdue

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostWhy So Serious?, on 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Mike Mayock when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for.  . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ."  to paraphrase he said ge is big strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for.  . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for.  . ." Talent wise you're getting an elite skilled WR at#10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

In my humblest of opinions.....I think we're going Floyd or Gilmore. I think either of these players are plugged in from day one and contribute immediately.

The value just doesn't seem to be there with the other culprits (Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Martin, Reif, Kuechly, Tannehill).

DeCastro? I can't kill the pick as most seem to think his play is eventually Pro Bowl caliber. But to draft a guard at the pick....?

Gun to my head? It'll be Gilmore. A good pick.

#4 bkep32

bkep32

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

I dont think floyd is top 10 talent in this draft.  There really isnt a standout player to me this year after pick 7.  AFter that they are all in the 16-25 range.  Go watch some route running of floyd on you tube and he doesnt get any seperation from the db.   That is one big problem i think in my eyes.  Yea he can win the jump ball but do you want your reciever fighting for the ball everytime thrown to him.  I would rather wait until the 2nd round to get the likes of jeffery, randel or if a bill fan can hope...I really like stephan hill in the second.

#5 Hopeful

Hopeful

    clearing the swamp

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostWhy So Serious?, on 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Mike Mayock said when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for.  . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ."  to paraphrase he said he is a big, strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for.  . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for.  . ." to the bext logical step, talent wise you're getting an elite, skilled WR at #10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

I recall the Mayock sentiments on Gabbert last year and am unimpressed.  I'll wait to see the opinions of those who evaluate talent for a living.

That doesn't mean Floyd isn't good, or worthy of a top-twelve pick, it just means there may be another WR who is getting less press picked before him, another WR who is getting less press picked mmediately after him, and a long gap between Blackmon and Floyd in the draft orderwith Floyd going much lower than 12

Edited by Hopeful, 30 March 2012 - 07:11 AM.


#6 deep2evans

deep2evans

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

View Postbkep32, on 30 March 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

I dont think floyd is top 10 talent in this draft.  There really isnt a standout player to me this year after pick 7.  AFter that they are all in the 16-25 range.  Go watch some route running of floyd on you tube and he doesnt get any seperation from the db.   That is one big problem i think in my eyes.  Yea he can win the jump ball but do you want your reciever fighting for the ball everytime thrown to him.  I would rather wait until the 2nd round to get the likes of jeffery, randel or if a bill fan can hope...I really like stephan hill in the second.

i think this is why teams !@#$ up drafts IMO - this logic right here.  Floyd was dominant for 4 years, while Hill has 49 career catches.  Yet because you've deemed Floyd as someone who "can't get separation", you'd rather take a player who hasn't really show much at all and is a huge gamble.  

Not to go at you man, but I obviously couldn't disagree more.  Floyd ran in the low 4.4s.  His 3700 receiving yards and 37 TDs show his separation is okay.

#7 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    RIP Ralph Wilson

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

View Postbkep32, on 30 March 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

I dont think floyd is top 10 talent in this draft.  There really isnt a standout player to me this year after pick 7.  AFter that they are all in the 16-25 range.  Go watch some route running of floyd on you tube and he doesnt get any seperation from the db.   That is one big problem i think in my eyes.  Yea he can win the jump ball but do you want your reciever fighting for the ball everytime thrown to him.  I would rather wait until the 2nd round to get the likes of jeffery, randel or if a bill fan can hope...I really like stephan hill in the second.
Stephen Hill simply ran real fast and jumped real far and high in his underwear and at his pro day ran scripted routes for a few minutes against air.
He has no tape. He played in a run first, run second, and run third offense. His job was to run by defenders when they put 10 in the box.
His high is 28 catches in a season.
Stephen Hill had a great combine but is a completely raw WR project that would take years to possibly develop into anything decent in the NFL.
Before the combine he was a 7th round / UDFA prospect.
I don't believe actual NFL GMs have moved him that high up on their board.
Since the Raiders don't pick until the 5th I doubt Stephen Hill goes in the first 50 picks.
Stephen Hill is exactly the kind of prospects the Bills need to stay away from with their first 3 picks. A project that won't contribute until 2015, if that.

Edited by Why So Serious?, 30 March 2012 - 07:10 AM.


#8 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

View PostWhy So Serious?, on 30 March 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

Stephen Hill simply ran real fast and jumped real far and high in his underwear and at his pro day ran scripted routes for a few minutes against air.
He has no tape. He played in a run first, run second, and run third offense. His job was to run by defenders when they put 10 in the box.
His high is 28 catches in a season.
Stephen Hill had a great combine but is a completely raw WR project that would take years to possibly develop into anything decent in the NFL.
Before the combine he was a 7th round / UDFA prospect.
I don't believe actual NFL GMs have moved him that high up on their board.
Since the Raiders don't pick until the 5th I doubt Stephen Hill goes in the first 50 picks.
Stephen Hill is exactly the kind of prospects the Bills need to stay away from with their first 3 picks. A project that won't contribute until 2015, if that.

Talent has never been the issue with Floyd; at least not in my opinion.

I've always been of the opinion that--when a player has off-field incidents--it should raise a red flag with the FO.  However, that doesn't mean you don't draft the guy, but rather that you need to make significantly more effort to get comfortable with his character and maturity level if you're serious about drafting him.  If Nix and Gailey have done so for Floyd, and feel comfortable, then I'm all for it.

As to Hill, I understand your point, but I think you are over-stating things.  I believe he was more likely a 3rd-4th round prospect pre-combine, and now he'll definitely go in the top 35 picks.  I'm not sure that's wrong either...it's not that teams will draft him specifically based off of his combine numbers, but rather that his impressive numbers make teams go back and watch more of his on-field performance.  While his opportunities were limited, he was very impressive in terms of his speed and physicality, so it doesn't really surprise me that he's a rising prospect.

Just my 1 cent...

#9 CSBill

CSBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostWhy So Serious?, on 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Mike Mayock said when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for.  . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ."  to paraphrase he said he is a big, strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for.  . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for.  . ." to the bext logical step, talent wise you're getting an elite, skilled WR at #10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

My personal bias against anything Notre Dame skews my perspective of Floyd. However, as I understand it, he did a huge personal transformation this year at ND: moved back into a dorm, normal dorm, not the athletes baby sitting house like so many big time programs have; submitted to some careful restrictions the coach staff put on him; and, went out and led by his attitude and performance on the field. He is starting to grow on me. Might be the perfect compliment to Stevie.

#10 Dr. Fong

Dr. Fong

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

I'm a Notre Dame fan, so I've seen a good amount of Michael Floyd. I've never seen him take over a game like I saw Blackmon take over the Fiesta Bowl against Stanford. Of course it's just one game and you can't judge a career on one game, but if I had the choIce it'd be Blackmon and it wouldn't be close.

Edited by Dr. Fong, 30 March 2012 - 08:03 AM.


#11 voodoo poonani

voodoo poonani

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

View Postbillsoverdue, on 30 March 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

In my humblest of opinions.....I think we're going Floyd or Gilmore. I think either of these players are plugged in from day one and contribute immediately.

The value just doesn't seem to be there with the other culprits (Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Martin, Reif, Kuechly, Tannehill).

DeCastro? I can't kill the pick as most seem to think his play is eventually Pro Bowl caliber. But to draft a guard at the pick....?

Gun to my head? It'll be Gilmore. A good pick.


I think it is more likely the team goes with Dre Kirkpatrick in 1, Stephen Hill in 2, and whoever is left at tackle in rounds 3 or 4.

#12 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    TBD's franchise poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

All I will say is it's refreshing for once not to have a draft where we are debating which QB to draft.

PTR

#13 robertpaul49

robertpaul49

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

I have no idea how Floyd will do in the NFL.  I am concerned about the Bills selecting players with questionable characters, which is something they have done in the last ten years.

I know people were upset that the Bills selected Spiller, but the Bills drafted Spiller because of the problems with Lynch, who had alcohol problems, i.e. hit an run.

McGahee, Henry, Mike Williams, James Hardy, all had character issues of one sort or another.  I would rather have John Fina then Marshawn Lynch.  I believe that the Bills are trying to build a team first before getting a franchise quarterback, a similiar strategy that the Steelers had before Rothlesberger. Get a left tackle so a young quarterback can develop in case Fitz doesn't improve, or to improve the chances that he does improve.  

Wide receivers are a lot easier to find than left tackles, especially since there will be more in the later rounds.  I really hope that this isn't going to be another year where the Bills neglect the tackle position again.

#14 Doc

Doc

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Floyd would be great, but if the Bills are looking to add a receiver, I'd still go Fleener.

#15 billsoverdue

billsoverdue

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

View Postrobertpaul49, on 30 March 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

I have no idea how Floyd will do in the NFL.  I am concerned about the Bills selecting players with questionable characters, which is something they have done in the last ten years.

I know people were upset that the Bills selected Spiller, but the Bills drafted Spiller because of the problems with Lynch, who had alcohol problems, i.e. hit an run.

McGahee, Henry, Mike Williams, James Hardy, all had character issues of one sort or another.  I would rather have John Fina then Marshawn Lynch.  I believe that the Bills are trying to build a team first before getting a franchise quarterback, a similiar strategy that the Steelers had before Rothlesberger. Get a left tackle so a young quarterback can develop in case Fitz doesn't improve, or to improve the chances that he does improve.  

Wide receivers are a lot easier to find than left tackles, especially since there will be more in the later rounds.  I really hope that this isn't going to be another year where the Bills neglect the tackle position again.
Who is this tackle that is worthy of the #10 overall? Or does it not matter?

#16 NewEra

NewEra

    I don't "know", I "think"

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

I've been on board with the Floyd pick since the draft order was set.  Minus his off the field stuff( he's exactly what this team needs.  Floyd, kuechly, Gilmore or Kirkpatrick please.

#17 Cheddar's Dad

Cheddar's Dad

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

View Postdeep2evans, on 30 March 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

i think this is why teams !@#$ up drafts IMO - this logic right here.  Floyd was dominant for 4 years, while Hill has 49 29 career catches.  Yet because you've deemed Floyd as someone who "can't get separation", you'd rather take a player who hasn't really show much at all and is a huge gamble.  

Not to go at you man, but I obviously couldn't disagree more.  Floyd ran in the low high 4.4s.  His 3700 receiving yards and 37 TDs show his separation is okay.

Fixed it. You're welcome.

#18 PDaDdy

PDaDdy

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostWhy So Serious?, on 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Mike Mayock said when it comes to the tape Michael Floyd is just as good as Blackmon.

He went in to say "If it wasn't for.  . . He has struggled with alcohol . . . Listen when you look at the tape . . ."  to paraphrase he said he is a big, strong, can win jump balls, runs great routes and "is probably the best blocking WR in the draft."

He went on to say it is going to be up to a GM to determine how comfortable they are with his off the field stuff. He never went on to finish the thought about "If it wasn't for.  . . " he kind of stumbled around his words on that.

He said he expects Floyd to be a "top 12" pick so if you take the early "IF it wasn't for.  . ." to the bext logical step, talent wise you're getting an elite, skilled WR at #10 that dropped because of off the field stuff a la Randy Moss and Dez Bryant.

What's strange is the video was taken down from NFL.com.

Now that the beloved Mike Mayock has echoed my sentiments on Floyd anyone feel better about the Floyd pick?

My comments on Blackmon vs Floyd. Floyd might be available at the #10 pick. Blackmon won't. If we go offense Floyd is probably the best pick but I still don't know what you do about the LT position. Even if Bell resigns we would be rotating an undrafted FA and a 2nd year 4th round pick at the LT spot because of the injuries that Bell suffers every year.

We need to fix that spot somehow. Maybe it doesn't have to be in the first round but if you are looking for a day 1 starter the first round is the best place to look.

#19 billsoverdue

billsoverdue

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostCheddar, on 30 March 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

Fixed it. You're welcome.
What was the difference? 4.47 as opposed to 4.42? I'm not sure if you were trying to be accurate or that it should make a difference.

#20 bkep32

bkep32

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

View Postdeep2evans, on 30 March 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

i think this is why teams !@#$ up drafts IMO - this logic right here.  Floyd was dominant for 4 years, while Hill has 49 career catches.  Yet because you've deemed Floyd as someone who "can't get separation", you'd rather take a player who hasn't really show much at all and is a huge gamble.  

Not to go at you man, but I obviously couldn't disagree more.  Floyd ran in the low 4.4s.  His 3700 receiving yards and 37 TDs show his separation is okay.

No big deal thats why i started those comments but let me tell you this.  We drafted a guy who had 3 years in college had roughly 2700 yards 36 td's...anyone know who i am talking about?  James Hardy those numbers look dominant too...its not what you did in college its how you transfer to the NFL.  I see stephan hill transfering better then floyd.  If bills take floyd i hope he makes me eat my own words but i dont want him at 10.  Rather draft him after late teens early 20's.