139 replies to this topic

#1 \GoBillsInDallas/

\GoBillsInDallas/

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

My contract runs out next month, and my 3-year-old phone is limited in what it can do. (No calendar, for example)

Looking for ideas on what to buy/avoid and what plans to buy/avoid.

#2 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I am very happy with my verizon nexus...i am grandfathered on the data plan so that isn't an issue for me. it's nothing but a big toy for me, but i am very happy with it.

My contract runs out next month, and my 3-year-old phone is limited in what it can do. (No calendar, for example)

#3 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Have you looked at Virgin Mobile? Unlimited data and 1200 minutes/month for $45. If you want only 300 minutes/month, it's only $35. My wife loves it.

http://www.virginmob...-talk-plans.jsp

You won't get the fanciest phone in the world, but it's better than paying $80/month for service, IMHO.

#4 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Official Transport of TBD Members and WGR 550

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Have you looked at Virgin Mobile? Unlimited data and 1200 minutes/month for $45. If you want only 300 minutes/month, it's only $35. My wife loves it.

http://www.virginmob...-talk-plans.jsp

You won't get the fanciest phone in the world, but it's better than paying $80/month for service, IMHO.

maybe its different here in Canada, but my Fiance is with them and she has a Blackberry Bold on her plan. No Data so she doesn't get emails sent directly to her, but the phone has WiFi so you can access the internet in hot spots and free Facebook if you are into that.

#5 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

See Bufffalo-inspired art at www.inkwellstudios.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,393 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'd consider the Samsung Galaxy S series phones. They run Android. The new Motorola Droid phones have sealed batteries which I'm not wild about. The LG Revolution looks interesting too. iPhones are the "it" phones for a lot of folks but I like the fact that you can "jailbreak" and customize Android phones.

PTR

#6 nucci

nucci

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,175 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have a Galaxy S2 from Samsung. Very good phone.

#7 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,656 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Old-style rotary with a twisted copper line.

Or, for all the retro coolness with a smartphone, just get Bluetooth handset.

#8 section122

section122

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

I'd consider the Samsung Galaxy S series phones. They run Android. The new Motorola Droid phones have sealed batteries which I'm not wild about. The LG Revolution looks interesting too. iPhones are the "it" phones for a lot of folks but I like the fact that you can "jailbreak" and customize Android phones.

PTR

I switched from Droid to an iphone and won't go back. It really depends on what you use your phone for. If your a techie then droids are the way to go as you can do much more with them as promo stated. If you just want a good, functional, and easy to use phone I recommend the iphone. As for Droids the razor x (or max not sure) is well reviewed by computer geek friends.

#9 stevestojan

stevestojan

Maybe NEXT year.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,279 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I switched from iPhone to Droid and regret it. I have a galaxy nexus and although I love the size, the battery life is horrendous. I have to carry two batteries. The complaint about the iPhone is no replaceable battery. Well for me that didn't matter since it lasted all day. I will have to change this phones battery in the next hour.

If I were you, I'd wait til June. Iphone5 should be announced at WWDC

#10 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

I am waiting for ICS 4.04 to see if there is any marked improvement in the battery...i also carry 2...i just had to call customer support(honestly a very pleasant experience)..the back cover of mine wouldn't stay snapped in...kept popping out one or two tabs(yes i had the extended back on it)...they sent a new back and a new extended battery(they don't issue them seperately), fit as it was supposed to. Wonder if the heat from the device is causing the backs to shrink a bit...hoping i can get away without sending back the old...but i'm sure they'll press me for it

I switched from iPhone to Droid and regret it. I have a galaxy nexus and although I love the size, the battery life is horrendous. I have to carry two batteries. The complaint about the iPhone is no replaceable battery. Well for me that didn't matter since it lasted all day. I will have to change this phones battery in the next hour.

If I were you, I'd wait til June. Iphone5 should be announced at WWDC

#11 stevestojan

stevestojan

Maybe NEXT year.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,279 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I am waiting for ICS 4.04 to see if there is any marked improvement in the battery...i also carry 2...i just had to call customer support(honestly a very pleasant experience)..the back cover of mine wouldn't stay snapped in...kept popping out one or two tabs(yes i had the extended back on it)...they sent a new back and a new extended battery(they don't issue them seperately), fit as it was supposed to. Wonder if the heat from the device is causing the backs to shrink a bit...hoping i can get away without sending back the old...but i'm sure they'll press me for it

The back cover is also a joke. It took one time taking it off to realize the design was just not thought through. Mine now never fits right. Sorry, but glass and steel of apple was just so much nicer. I wanted a bigger screen but it wasn't worth it. And as far as "being able to customize" that gets old after a day. I use my phone for text, GPS, Netflix, and music. I don't need a million Widgets or different ROMs. I will be laying retail for the new iPhone when it comes out. Completely disappointed that I switched.

#12 KRC

KRC

Sammavaca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,408 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have a Galaxy S2 from Samsung. Very good phone.

I have the same phone. Works fine for me. Better than the Blackberry I had before.

#13 BillsFanNC

BillsFanNC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'm going to recommend the galaxy nexus. I have one of those battery saving apps installed and I don't really have battery issues. Of course I just keep a charger at home, in my car and at my desk at work so when I leave anywhere I'm usually on full charge. I'm by no means a huge power draining app user though, I don't stream netflix or anything like that on the phone.

#14 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

See Bufffalo-inspired art at www.inkwellstudios.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,393 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm going to recommend the galaxy nexus. I have one of those battery saving apps installed and I don't really have battery issues. Of course I just keep a charger at home, in my car and at my desk at work so when I leave anywhere I'm usually on full charge. I'm by no means a huge power draining app user though, I don't stream netflix or anything like that on the phone.

What battery saving app do you use?

PTR

#15 KD in CA

KD in CA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,330 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

PTR

Which is the "it" thing to do for tech geeks! :P

Honestly, is there really a need to re-engineer a device so advanced it would have made NASA guys faint a generation ago?

p.s. iphone4s works great for me.

Edited by KD in CT, 03 May 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#16 PaattMaann

PaattMaann

Life Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

I got the iphone 4s a couple months ago and joined the smart world community...very user friendly and have had no issues...and love having the world wide web (and the hundreds of useful apps) at my finger tips...if I use my phone constantly throughout the day I have to charge it every night, but if I use it only so-so throughout the day I can get two full days off the battery without charging...love the phone and am an iphone convert for life

#17 dogma+

dogma+

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I bought an iPhone for the first time 3 years ago and I haven't looked back. Well made, sturdy, and will last you a long time. I have colleagues who own Droids and go through them every 6 months. They're not well made. A lot of plastic.

I would vote iPhone.

#18 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

They're announcing the new Samsung Galaxy S III right now. Should check it out!

#19 nucci

nucci

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,175 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

They're announcing the new Samsung Galaxy S III right now. Should check it out!

Only in Europe right now.

#20 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

You might want to look at the new HTC One series of phones. My contract with T-Mobile ran out and I picked up a HTC One S last Saturday. Very fast. Great camera as well. Also a sturdy build with a beautiful kinda brushed blue aluminum case. It runs the newest version of ICS plus HTC sense which actually kinda of enhances ICS instead of getting in the way. A nice sleek sexy phone and so far so good. Connects nicely via bluetooth in my car. Beats Audio as well. I was really considering the HTC One X on ATT but it has a 4.7" screen. I kinda like the slightly smaller 4.3 of the S.
Also, don't be misled by posts in this thread about build quality. There are literally hundreds of different Android based phones varying greatly in features and quality. Some are fantastic. Some definitely suck. Go check them out yourself and read reviews.

One S

One X

Edited by Dante, 03 May 2012 - 04:10 PM.