#21 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Only in Europe right now.

They're announcing it for everywhere, they also talked about the US versions. That *doesn't* mean it'll be available anytime soon.

That being said, I think I'm going to pick up the HTC One X.

Edited by BlueFire, 03 May 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#22 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

See Bufffalo-inspired art at www.inkwellstudios.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,437 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Which is the "it" thing to do for tech geeks! :P

Honestly, is there really a need to re-engineer a device so advanced it would have made NASA guys faint a generation ago?

p.s. iphone4s works great for me.

Yes there is. Not so much re-engineer but shut off resource-sapping bloatware. But there are some hacked ROMs that are pretty cool to install.

PTR

#23 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

They're announcing it for everywhere, they also talked about the US versions. That *doesn't* mean it'll be available anytime soon.

That being said, I think I'm going to pick up the HTC One X.

I really like my One S right now. I really am tempted to get the One X just because of the better quality screen. I would have to change carriers though. I'll wait until the 30 days are almost up and see then.

#24 BUFFALOBART

BUFFALOBART

This space for rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

iPhones are the "it" phones for a lot of folks but I like the fact that you can "jailbreak" and customize Android phones.
PTR

.......As you can with the iPhone.......

#25 Fan in Chicago

Fan in Chicago

Holier than thou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

I use an old Motorola Defy (Android 2.2 version) and very happy with it. I am with T-mobile.

A thought - think about going for T-mobile's Value Plans if you need a lot of lines. This month T-mobile is allowing me to switch to a Value plan and my total bill for 4 lines+1 home phone, 2000 minutes (unltd on the homeline), 3 lines with data and unltd texting will be ~ $130. You have to buy your own devices but do the full math and see which works out better. I just need to buy two devices so in effect, I will be saving $70 per month ($840 per year) and spending about $600 to get two decent but slightly older devices.

BTW - if anyone wants to sell an older Android in good condition, please PM me.

#26 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

.......As you can with the iPhone.......

Depends on how techy you want to get. Android lets you control the software stack all the way down to the kernel.

#27 BuffaloBillsSD

BuffaloBillsSD

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I love my galaxy nexus on Verizon, I have it rooted and one of the many benefits of that is being able to tether to my laptop when I don't have Wifi without paying $30/mo for 2 gbs.

As for the battery life I picked up one of these portable phone charger and I have never had to worry about battery life. It can be a bit cumbersome if you are carrying it on your person but I usually put it in the girls purse.

#28 Ramius

Ramius

Don't Tread on Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,424 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Have you looked at Virgin Mobile? Unlimited data and 1200 minutes/month for $45. If you want only 300 minutes/month, it's only $35. My wife loves it.

http://www.virginmob...-talk-plans.jsp

You won't get the fanciest phone in the world, but it's better than paying $80/month for service, IMHO.

I'll second virgin mobile. I switched about a month and a half ago from verizon, and thusfar its worked great. You can still get good phones, just not top end ones. I got an LG Optimus, which works great as a decent little smartphone. I've already got a bunch of apps, and web browsing is pretty good too. As for the network, it works where you'd expect it to work, and doesn't work where you don't. I lose signal in the middle of east bum!@#$, but if you're on a major highway (or route), you'll get a signal. Also, since there's no contract, if you decide it sucks, you can always go back.

As for the cost of the phone, yes, if you get one through the website it's full price, but a bunch of stores put them on sale. As much as i hate best buy, i got my optimus from them when i switched. It was $130, but they had it on sale for $80 and it came with a free $35 virgin mobile top-up card with activation. Since i have the $45/month service, all told, i ended up paying $90 for the new phone and the first month of service.

#29 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I got the iphone 4s a couple months ago and joined the smart world community...very user friendly and have had no issues...and love having the world wide web (and the hundreds of useful apps) at my finger tips...if I use my phone constantly throughout the day I have to charge it every night, but if I use it only so-so throughout the day I can get two full days off the battery without charging...love the phone and am an iphone convert for life

Wow. If that's all it takes I'm scuttling plans to send the kid to university this fall and getting him a iphone. Downside is that it means I have to be in the world community. I'll pass and try to keep him at least half reasonable.

Edited by Dante, 03 May 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#30 KD in CA

KD in CA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,364 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Wow. If that's all it takes I'm scuttling plans to send the kid to university this fall and getting him a iphone. Downside is that it means I have to be in the world community. I'll pass and try to keep him at least half reasonable.

With the new itunesU you might be able to do just that.

#31 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'll be unoriginal and throw out another vote for the iPhone. I bought my iPhone 4 nearly two years ago and not a single issue. I can't imagine what else I could possibly need it to do, in fact it goes above and beyond on a daily basis. The most important thing for me is that I can rely on it. I know it will be there and I can depend on it, and that means a lot to me. On top of that, as I've said in other threads, I'm completely addicted to the retina display.

If you use iTunes at all, one of the coolest things it does is serve as a pretty highly functioning remote. I stream wirelessly (music) through an Apple Airport Express and it's all controlled with the iPhone. Not a single glitch or hassle. On top of that, I was watching a movie on Netflix the other day and I noticed a little icon on the bottom of the screen. I clicked on it, and it was the iPhone asking me if I wanted the audio output to be through the iphone itself or if I wanted to route it through the apple express. The latter allows me to use my higher end headphone rig for the audio while I watch a movie/concert/tv show on the iPhone. I had no idea it did that and was pretty darn excited when I realized it did.

I haven't even come close to tapping the potential of this phone. And even with the iPhone 5 apparently coming out soon, I don't even have any desire to upgrade. I keep it nice and safe in my OtterBox case and it's like my little buddy. :D

#32 PTS

PTS

Give Me Your Rich ... So I Can Pay Our Poor!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

If you are looking for the best phone, nothing comes close to the iPhone. It's well made, last forever and very useful. You won't be sorry.

#33 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

If you are looking for the best phone, nothing comes close to the iPhone. It's well made, last forever and very useful. You won't be sorry.

Last forever...? :unsure:

#34 stevestojan

stevestojan

Maybe NEXT year.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,281 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Last forever...? :unsure:

I will say they are well built. Certainly he was using hyperbole but no one has made as good of a build quality as apple, IMO. This of.course excludes "dumb" phones or those ones made for outdoorsmen that you can literally drop in water.

My boss still has his iPhone 2nd gen. Not too many phones still around from when that was released.

#35 sullim4

sullim4

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft.

I would probably say that the iPhone is the #1 all-around phone out there right now. iOS is very snappy, they have the most apps, call quality is good, the software is intuitive, hardware is excellent, etc. The cons would be cost, lack of a user replacable battery, and if something goes wrong, it's going to be expensive to fix.

Android IMO has fallen a few notches recently. The builds are highly customizable by carrier/manufacturer so you really have to do your research on particular phones on a given carrier. Some are great, but others can be junk. My girlfriend had a Motorola Droid 2 on Verizon and it was horrible - battery would drain quickly, performance was terribly sluggish, and call quality was very spotty.

As a MSFT guy, I would ask you not to count out Windows Phone. You're in AT&T country there in Dallas - give the Lumia 900 a try. Are there as many apps? No. But perf is just as good (if not better) than the iPhone, the live tiles are nice, and the hardware is great.

My HD7 running Windows Phone 7.5 is as snappy as when I first bought it 1.5 years ago.

#36 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft.

I would probably say that the iPhone is the #1 all-around phone out there right now. iOS is very snappy, they have the most apps, call quality is good, the software is intuitive, hardware is excellent, etc. The cons would be cost, lack of a user replacable battery, and if something goes wrong, it's going to be expensive to fix.

Android IMO has fallen a few notches recently. The builds are highly customizable by carrier/manufacturer so you really have to do your research on particular phones on a given carrier. Some are great, but others can be junk. My girlfriend had a Motorola Droid 2 on Verizon and it was horrible - battery would drain quickly, performance was terribly sluggish, and call quality was very spotty.

As a MSFT guy, I would ask you not to count out Windows Phone. You're in AT&T country there in Dallas - give the Lumia 900 a try. Are there as many apps? No. But perf is just as good (if not better) than the iPhone, the live tiles are nice, and the hardware is great.

My HD7 running Windows Phone 7.5 is as snappy as when I first bought it 1.5 years ago.

I agree with the new Lumia 900 and it's promise. I was considering one but as good as the software is( and I like it a lot) the hardware is dated. Is this due to strict Microsoft specifications? I do like that phone though and would like to see Windows phone take off for even more competition.
I disagree with Android dropping off. On the contrary, the OS has got much better over time and is just as if not "snappier" than ios. With my last upgrade I jumped 3 versions from Froyo to ICS and its's almost night and day. As for build quality, with so many phones out there are going to be some bad ones. It's not like it takes a lot to do research these days find out what's what with them.
Apple is good if thats your thing. I'd prefer not to have one because of the cons you mentioned but also the screen is just to small for me and I can't stand being locked into iTunes. But this is personal preference.

#37 stevestojan

stevestojan

Maybe NEXT year.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,281 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Dante, I see the Lumia not as dated, but perhaps a try at a "Retro" look? Not sure but I can't blame MSFT for trying. At least they're not blackberry. Oh and that little computer industry is a nice fallback in case the whole cell phone thing doesn't pan out. :)

#38 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Nothing comes close? Really?

There are a lot of positives to iOS and iPhones, and also a lot of negatives. To say nothing comes close is silly .

#39 sullim4

sullim4

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

I agree with the new Lumia 900 and it's promise. I was considering one but as good as the software is( and I like it a lot) the hardware is dated. Is this due to strict Microsoft specifications? I do like that phone though and would like to see Windows phone take off for even more competition.
I disagree with Android dropping off. On the contrary, the OS has got much better over time and is just as if not "snappier" than ios. With my last upgrade I jumped 3 versions from Froyo to ICS and its's almost night and day. As for build quality, with so many phones out there are going to be some bad ones. It's not like it takes a lot to do research these days find out what's what with them.
Apple is good if thats your thing. I'd prefer not to have one because of the cons you mentioned but also the screen is just to small for me and I can't stand being locked into iTunes. But this is personal preference.

WP7 hardware is a direct result of its software. There's no need to load the phones with fast processors - the software simply doesn't require it. The slower clock speed lessens demand on the battery, increasing its life. The only time my HD7 ever struggles is when I try to use Slacker Radio, and that's only because the app is buggy as all hell and no one seems to care to fix it. Otherwise I've run things from full-blown GPSes to watching 720p video and I have never had an issue with the clock speed of the processor.

If you're talking about the appearance of the phone, that's a different matter.

I will say though that my first recommendation to the average joe is still the iPhone. However, if for whatever reason you don't want to go that direction (cost, don't like Apple, etc), then my second would be the Windows Phone.

#40 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

I will say they are well built. Certainly he was using hyperbole but no one has made as good of a build quality as apple, IMO. This of.course excludes "dumb" phones or those ones made for outdoorsmen that you can literally drop in water.

My boss still has his iPhone 2nd gen. Not too many phones still around from when that was released.

Never used a Blackberry? They're rock solid. In fact one of my Apple friends picked up my Torch and said, "Wow. Now THIS is what a phone should feel like." Yes, I know, BB isn't doing well right now, but they still make great hardware and I love the physical keyboard.