139 replies to this topic

#41 linksfiend

linksfiend

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Are you locked into a certain network? (For example, if you get a sizable discount through work)
If so, start here: http://reviews.cnet....st-smartphones/
Then click on "Best (Your Carrier) Phones" on the left

#42 kegtapr

kegtapr

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

Mark me down as a vote for the iPhone. I debated back and forth for my last upgrade. In the end the deciding factor was the physical size of the phone. The andriods are just getting too big. I don't care to hold a mini tablet up to my head and they're uncomfortable in my pocket. I hope apple doesn't follow the trend and make it larger.

#43 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Mark me down as a vote for the iPhone. I debated back and forth for my last upgrade. In the end the deciding factor was the physical size of the phone. The andriods are just getting too big. I don't care to hold a mini tablet up to my head and they're uncomfortable in my pocket. I hope apple doesn't follow the trend and make it larger.

I think you're referring to the Samsung Galaxy Note -- too big to be a phone, too small to be a tablet! :D

Seriously though, there's roughly a million different phones there. To say all of the Android phones are getting too big is rather silly.

#44 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,859 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I hate to say I can't live without my iPhone 4s and I am not an apple geek. I love that thing, the third iPhone I have owned. I also found a little battery charger that cost $4.95 you can plug in and it pretty much recharges the phone, and you can use it while it is recharging. It sticks out of the end 1-2", but it's pretty handy if you know you are going to run out of juice. That rarely happens for me though.

#45 kegtapr

kegtapr

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

I think you're referring to the Samsung Galaxy Note -- too big to be a phone, too small to be a tablet! :D

Seriously though, there's roughly a million different phones there. To say all of the Android phones are getting too big is rather silly.

I didn't say all, but any of the latest ones worth owning are, not just the note. Even the razr was too big for my liking and the galaxy s III just looks silly. IMO 3.5 inch screens are the sweet spot. 4 inches is pushing the edge when it comes to physical size and anything larger men need to carry a purse.

#46 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

WP7 hardware is a direct result of its software. There's no need to load the phones with fast processors - the software simply doesn't require it. The slower clock speed lessens demand on the battery, increasing its life. The only time my HD7 ever struggles is when I try to use Slacker Radio, and that's only because the app is buggy as all hell and no one seems to care to fix it. Otherwise I've run things from full-blown GPSes to watching 720p video and I have never had an issue with the clock speed of the processor.

If you're talking about the appearance of the phone, that's a different matter.

I will say though that my first recommendation to the average joe is still the iPhone. However, if for whatever reason you don't want to go that direction (cost, don't like Apple, etc), then my second would be the Windows Phone.

Yes I wasn't really talking about the appearance. I actually like the look of it. You would know more about the hardware requirements as it pertains to the software so I take your word for it. I watched one review where the guy didn't like the screen or the camera. It could be him just nit picking? Don't know since I haven't actually used or even looked at a real one. My son has the HD7 like you and I looked at another model( can't remember which one) at Best Buy and I liked software. My wife is due for a upgrade and I'm thinking of getting her one for just the simplicity of it.

Edited by Dante, 06 May 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#47 ofiba

ofiba

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

What do you Iphone users use for GPS navigation?

#48 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Never used a Blackberry? They're rock solid. In fact one of my Apple friends picked up my Torch and said, "Wow. Now THIS is what a phone should feel like." Yes, I know, BB isn't doing well right now, but they still make great hardware and I love the physical keyboard.

Yuck. No thanks. I much prefer HTC's build quality over Blackberry's.

My friend has a Note and loves it. I was surprised at how it nicely fit in the pocket of a pair of jeans.

#49 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,859 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

It has GPS navigation on it. What it doesn't have is the voice telling you the turn-by-turn directions, but there is a pretty cheap app for that.

#50 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

It has GPS navigation on it. What it doesn't have is the voice telling you the turn-by-turn directions, but there is a pretty cheap app for that.

Google Navigation doesn't do that on the iPhone?

#51 ofiba

ofiba

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Google Navigation doesn't do that on the iPhone?

Nope

#52 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I picked up the HTC One X today.... AWESOME phone! LOVE it.

#53 \GoBillsInDallas/

\GoBillsInDallas/

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Update: I got the Samsung Galaxy SŪ III.

Time for all you guys to flame away at what a poor choice I made.

:lol:

#54 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Update: I got the Samsung Galaxy S® III.

I got a new job, so will probably be turning in my Blackberry Torch for the Galaxy S III as well. I went to Verizon yesterday and was able to play with it for a few minutes -- it looks huge, but fits in my hand and pocket well (twss?). Let us know what you think of it after using it for a few days. :)

#55 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

I got a new job, so will probably be turning in my Blackberry Torch for the Galaxy S III as well. I went to Verizon yesterday and was able to play with it for a few minutes -- it looks huge, but fits in my hand and pocket well (twss?). Let us know what you think of it after using it for a few days. :)

That phone looks nice. I don't the the HTC OneX or S are available at Verizon are they? If you don't have to stay with Verizon the HTC's are nice phones that are worth a look. I got the One S (I'm on a family plan with T-Mobile and they have the One S not the One X) and so far I can't complain about one thing. Fast, nice build and a pleasant surprise is the battery life. Much improved over the Samsung Vibrant I had before.
Also, just read this. One series going to get Jelly Bean update

Edited by Dante, 07 July 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#56 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,054 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I am up for a new phone this month. Not sure what to get. All the input is very good . Interested in the Samsung and I phone.

#57 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

no flaming here, i have the nexus...just do yourself a favor and have a spare, or two batteries, and carry a charging method if you are going to be out all day...its a fun phone/os....mine is used strictly as a toy, don't use it for work, and I like the bells and whistles...couple complaints but they are universal and they seem to be working on releases to fix them.

fwiw...google music is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! take advantage of it!

Update: I got the Samsung Galaxy SŪ III.

#58 Pete

Pete

circle the wagons friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,597 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

maps

#59 stevestojan

stevestojan

Maybe NEXT year.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,279 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I upgraded to ios 6. It's AWESOME. the new maps app is killer! Beta 2 made it even better.

The iOS 6 version of maps no longer uses google maps. It provides full turn by turn directions. The one thing android had over iOS for what I personally use my phone for.

And since switching BACK to the iPhone 4s from the galaxy nexus I can once again not have to worry about carrying 3 batteries.

#60 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

That phone looks nice. I don't the the HTC OneX or S are available at Verizon are they? If you don't have to stay with Verizon the HTC's are nice phones that are worth a look. I got the One S (I'm on a family plan with T-Mobile and they have the One S not the One X) and so far I can't complain about one thing. Fast, nice build and a pleasant surprise is the battery life. Much improved over the Samsung Vibrant I had before.
Also, just read this. One series going to get Jelly Bean update

No, the One X is AT&T only, and I'm considering that one as well. I think I'm going to go with Verizon though because the monthly rates seem cheaper unless I only want 450 minutes a month.