139 replies to this topic

#121 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,200 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Well... I went with JB when Verizon sent it to me a couple of days ago! I figured what the heck and rolled the dice... LoL... Just had a few apps that didn't work and my weather widget was nuked... Many are claiming Sticky Notes app was nuked and lost all data (in any widget they had)... Glad I use another app... Of all things, I lost a very simple and basic stopwatch app... I found an even better classic one... LoL... Dodged a bullet!

Oh... And yes... Replying to myself... LoL... Ooops! :lol:

EDIT: I wish they would tell you what you may lose linked right to the update screen... Then you can scramble to back stuff up. Again, no big deal and way less painful getting used to the new OS since it is a lot like ICS... Runs a lot smoother too!

Not sure if your phone manufacturer modifies it, but android's standard clock/alarm app has a stopwatch built in.

#122 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Not sure if your phone manufacturer modifies it, but android's standard clock/alarm app has a stopwatch built in.

Come to think of it... I never checked that out... I know with the Jelly Bean upgrade, people have been belly aching that they removed the alarm app and added an app call "clock." I gotta check it out.

Sounds corny... But I was looking for the classic stopwatch thing... LoL... I found it as the Ultimate Stopwatch app... Looks like a classic analog stopwatch... Petty cool... ;-) Has the digital to .001 of sec below... Some apps get pretty fancy with split/lap times etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 06 April 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#123 Passepartout

Passepartout

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well just got a new phone myself just today. As it is not a smart phone or a special phone. But it is just a regular phone as those Smartphones or Iphones would confuse the living daylights out of me!

#124 BuffOrange

BuffOrange

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

So I've done a sickening amount of research the last few months. Finally just pulled the trigger on a Nexus4. Goodnight Verizon. It's been a fun 12yrs but between your CIA-like tight lipped secrecy on upcoming releases, your grossly overpriced plans, your hideous abundance of bloatware, and your lame Droid branding...take a hike.
Of course one VZ trademark you can't trash is their coverage. Like the hot chick who knows she's a 10 and seems to take full advantage of it. I don't know what T-Mobile's coverage is like in say Buffalo, but if it's nearly as good as the maps indicate, it seems like a no-brainer if you're in a major metro area? (I'm in Philly).

Edited by BuffOrange, 29 April 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#125 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,210 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

So I've done a sickening amount of research the last few months. Finally just pulled the trigger on a Nexus4. Goodnight Verizon. It's been a fun 12yrs but between your CIA-like tight lipped secrecy on upcoming releases, your grossly overpriced plans, your hideous abundance of bloatware, and your lame Droid branding...take a hike.
Of course one VZ trademark you can't trash is their coverage. Like the hot chick who knows she's a 10 and seems to take full advantage of it. I don't know what T-Mobile's coverage is like in say Buffalo, but if it's nearly as good as the maps indicate, it seems like a no-brainer if you're in a major metro area? (I'm in Philly).

Congrats on the switch, one day, too... I hope to make the switch.

Of course, when I get my next phone I am going to literally call up and negotiate a contract.

In other news, I got the latest update to whatever the current latest software is for Droid. I think it's a little cleaner but a lot harder to type all of a sudden.

#126 BuffOrange

BuffOrange

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Jellybean? Anyway my plan is unlimited text/data & 100min's for $30, prepaid. Pretty much the stone cold nuts if you don't talk much like me. Was paying $75 for 450min's I didn't use and limited text/data. It's also getting harder and harder to find on T-mo's site and the rumors on Android forums are that it's going away in a few days (I called to confirm it wouldn't be taken away after I signed up ie 'grandfathered') so anyone looking now is a good time to make a move (contingent on their coverage in your area obviously - for me it appears very good). And the Nexus seems pretty awesome, $350, no contract.

#127 truth on hold

truth on hold

All Pro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Jellybean? Anyway my plan is unlimited text/data & 100min's for $30, prepaid. Pretty much the stone cold nuts if you don't talk much like me. Was paying $75 for 450min's I didn't use and limited text/data. It's also getting harder and harder to find on T-mo's site and the rumors on Android forums are that it's going away in a few days (I called to confirm it wouldn't be taken away after I signed up ie 'grandfathered') so anyone looking now is a good time to make a move (contingent on their coverage in your area obviously - for me it appears very good). And the Nexus seems pretty awesome, $350, no contract.

N4 by LG is best phone Ive had (big improvement over the N3 made by Samsung). But I got it last year and so far this year the HTC One seems to be generating the most favorable reviews. I checked it out the other day and the phone does seem to live up to the hype (build quality, screen, processing speed, camera, etc), but the software LG added to the OS reminds me of Windows 8, which I hate.

I wonder if theres a safe, simple way to wipe the HTC software from the device and install pure Android (which is now up to Jelly Bean 4.2), and receive Android updates as soon as they come out, just like a Nexus device. (btw Nexus is also rumored to be coming out with a new phone this year, thankfully made by LG and not Samsung).

#128 BuffOrange

BuffOrange

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

N4 by LG is best phone Ive had (big improvement over the N3 made by Samsung). But I got it last year and so far this year the HTC One seems to be generating the most favorable reviews. I checked it out the other day and the phone does seem to live up to the hype (build quality, screen, processing speed, camera, etc), but the software LG added to the OS reminds me of Windows 8, which I hate.

I wonder if theres a safe, simple way to wipe the HTC software from the device and install pure Android (which is now up to Jelly Bean 4.2), and receive Android updates as soon as they come out, just like a Nexus device. (btw Nexus is also rumored to be coming out with a new phone this year, thankfully made by LG and not Samsung).

Ya I never understood the whole phone fanboy thing. I'm sure the htc1 is a great phone. From a value standpoint though I'd say the n4 takes the cake. For me phones have reached a point where once the specs reach a certain plateau, all the extra gravy just isn't worth the additional premium.

#129 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Just got a Galaxy Note 3 last week and I'm blown away. Great phone. Smooth as shite. Lots of features and this thing shoots 4k high def!! Battery life is fantastic because it has a 3200 hm battery. And if that's not good enough you can always get a spare to replace. Screen is beautiful and big. Appreciate that when older because it makes it so much easier to type and just see in general. Haven't even got into using the stylus yet.

#130 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Just got a Galaxy Note 3 last week and I'm blown away. Great phone. Smooth as shite. Lots of features and this thing shoots 4k high def!! Battery life is fantastic because it has a 3200 hm battery. And if that's not good enough you can always get a spare to replace. Screen is beautiful and big. Appreciate that when older because it makes it so much easier to type and just see in general. Haven't even got into using the stylus yet.

I am up for grading. I am still rocking and satisfied with my Droid Bionic. It was top of the line when it came out and still probably among the top 10% of the phones available. The Razr, GalaxyS' are supposed to be better, though.

I haven't found a new phone I like yet, I haven't checked out rumors of upcoming phones, either, though.

#131 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

I am up for grading. I am still rocking and satisfied with my Droid Bionic. It was top of the line when it came out and still probably among the top 10% of the phones available. The Razr, GalaxyS' are supposed to be better, though.

I haven't found a new phone I like yet, I haven't checked out rumors of upcoming phones, either, though.

This one is worth checking out. As I'm using it I'm getting more and more impressed. From the 1080p display to the dual screen multitasking. 3gigs ram and expandable memory card. Can replace the battery if necessary with a freshly charged one but the battery life is so good I just can't see having to do that unless you are going on a long car ride or flight. Just starting to use the stylus . To see it's true functionality google some you tube reviews and tips videos. Will give you a idea. The other phone that I almost bought is the LG G2. Really nice and a big screen as well. 5.2" I think. I upgraded from a HTC One S. Not that old but the Note 3 is leaps ahead of that phone. So glad I made the move if you can't tell.

Edited by Dante, 11 October 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#132 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

This one is worth checking out. As I'm using it I'm getting more and more impressed. From the 1080p display to the dual screen multitasking. 3gigs ram and expandable memory card. Can replace the battery if necessary with a freshly charged one but the battery life is so good I just can't see having to do that unless you are going on a long car ride or flight. Just starting to use the stylus . To see it's true functionality google some you tube reviews and tips videos. Will give you a idea. The other phone that I almost bought is the LG G2. Really nice and a big screen as well. 5.2" I think. I upgraded from a HTC One S. Not that old but the Note 3 is leaps ahead of that phone. So glad I made the move if you can't tell.

It's just hard to be ready for a new phone. My Bionic got whatever it is now, ICS?, about 8 months ago and it's been like a totally new phone. I am very careful with it and it's definitely paid for... Still, I long for a phone with Droid flexibility, the Windows phone camera, and the Blackberry servers with the reliability and toughness of an LG flip phone.

#133 BuffOrange

BuffOrange

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

Bump!

So the battery on my Nexus 4 has sorta gone to crap. Anyone have the HTC M8? Debating between that or the new Moto X. Not really interested in Samsung since everyone has one, and all the bloatware they load on there.

The other phone that I almost bought is the LG G2. Really nice and a big screen as well. 5.2" I think.

Kinda wish I got that. Seems like a massively underrated phone in retrospect that still holds up more than a year later - good battery too. The G3 might be a wee too big for my liking.

#134 Very wide right

Very wide right

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

LOL, guys using an Iphone  :doh:

#135 blzrul

blzrul

Is it "ready aim fire" or "ready fire aim?"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

There are 4 cellular carriers in the US. I have worked for two of them, and worked with the other two as partners.  Here's my two cents:

• Companies like US Cellular, Cricket, MetroPCS, etc - use these carriers' networks.  Metro is T-Mo and Cricket is AT&T, for example. You can learn a lot if you go to Radio Shack or cellular kiosks in places like Costco - they resell that service too.  SO, consider the network. Where will you use the phone most?  Check the coverage there.
  • If you go for a non-contract plan, you'll save money BUT you'll pay full price for the phone.  You'll either pay up front, or in monthly installments. Sure, quit any time and you'll owe the balance on the phone.
  • What kind of apps do you want or need?  Be realistic.  I have an iPad and a Samsung Galaxy and I much prefer the Android OS. Most apps are available for both.  However, Windows Phone, dead though it is, is very easy to use.  The downside is there aren't as many apps and with MSFT getting out of the business, not likely to be new ones.
  • I advise you to stick with GSM if you can.  That was you can unlock the phone, for example if you choose T-Mobile and hate it, you can get the phone unlocked to work on AT&T.  BEWARE though - T-Mobile makes it hard to unlock some phones. Ask up front.

Anyway my advise is first figure out REALLY what you want to do.  If your current phone is 3 years old, you may not want the latest, etc Samsung Galaxy 7 edge...it's cool but you could get a deal on a Galaxy 6 edge that would be an awesome improvement over what you want.  Then, choose your network.  After that you can comparison shop.

Good luck.

#136 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,312 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

LOL, guys using an Iphone  :doh:

I was a droid user up till about 6 months ago, switched to an iPhone, haven't looked back. It's the only apple product i'll ever use.

Edited by joesixpack, 15 August 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#137 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,453 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

I was a droid user up till about 6 months ago, switched to an iPhone, haven't looked back. It's the only apple product i'll ever use.

You are getting old and lazy I see. Don't worry, if you get in a jam w/the tech, you can reach out to an Apple Genius by calling the tech support number.

I ordered these for you... Look for a package coming from Amazon:

058-03-cataract-sunglasses.jpg

You'll get the walker for Christmas.

:-P

#138 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,404 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

i use both, but not by choice

droid user by choice.  personal phone and tablet are android and i have a streaming device based on android os

stuck with an iphone for work

from my user name i think you can guess i'm a Linux geek and a fan of the Open Source model

That plus I'm not a douche nozzle hipster Apple fanboy

#139 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

Just got a Galaxy Note 7. Beautiful phone to look at. Just finished synching stuff up, installing apps now recharging. We will see how it is when I use it. 

#140 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,312 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

i use both, but not by choice

droid user by choice.  personal phone and tablet are android and i have a streaming device based on android os

stuck with an iphone for work

from my user name i think you can guess i'm a Linux geek and a fan of the Open Source model

That plus I'm not a douche nozzle hipster Apple fanboy

I'm no fanboy, trust me. I build my own computers, and recently switched to Linux on my home computer.

I don't own an ipod/pad/mac/appletv.

It's simply my previous two android phones left me really salty