Photo

can you lose fat and weight with pushups and squats?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MARCELL DAREUS POWER

MARCELL DAREUS POWER

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

if i do pushups and squats, maybe a few jumping jacks for 20 minutes-6 days a week, along with smart eating habits, :unsure: will i lose weight?

#2 LeviF91

LeviF91

Uh huh, alright.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

if i do pushups and squats, maybe a few jumping jacks for 20 minutes-6 days a week, along with smart eating habits, :unsure: will i lose weight?

Depends on how much you eat. Weight loss = burning more than you take in. Building muscle helps increase how much you burn.

#3 millbank

millbank

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories). It really is that black and white. Far to many make the process more complex than need be. In the end it is about motivation and will... Individually its about finding a daily or regular diet and exercise regimen each of us will stick to in the normal course of living. Many folks because they go on special diets and fitness training have success on short term , but in not correcting what was cause of weight in first place revert back to past routines and often in life it a process of yo-yoing up and down in weight.

Edited by millbank, 25 June 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#4 MARCELL DAREUS POWER

MARCELL DAREUS POWER

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories). It really is that black and white. Far to many make the process more complex than need be. In the end it is about motivation and will... Individually its about finding a daily or regular diet and exercise regimen each of us will stick to in the normal course of living. Many folks because they go on special diets and fitness training have success on short term , but in not correcting what was cause of weight in first place revert back to past routines and often in life it a process of yo-yoing up and down in weight.

Yeah, ive been doing this for about 1 month and ive only lost roughly 10 lbs. 325-315ish... i guess its a just a slow process.

maybe once a week ill go for a jog and some sprints instead of the usual pushups and squats, etc...

it just sucks because i used to weigh 190-220.

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER, 25 June 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#5 millbank

millbank

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, ive been doing this for about 1 month and ive only lost roughly 10 lbs. 325-315ish... i guess its a just a slow process.

maybe once a week ill go for a jog and some sprints instead of the usual pushups and squats, etc...

it just sucks because i used to weigh 190-220.

i encourage you to find a fitness activity you will and can do the rest of your life as regular as you brush your teeth and shower... if need be get your self a dog to walk each day . Take time to take look at the national food guidelines of proper portions of protein, vegetables, fruit, whole grains. Rule of thumb is it not healthy to lose more than 3 lbs a week.

American Food Guidelines

Avoid the gimmicks....

#6 MARCELL DAREUS POWER

MARCELL DAREUS POWER

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

is pushups, squats and jumping jacks sufficient? maybe a few sprints too? like 6 days a week

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER, 27 June 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#7 millbank

millbank

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

is pushups, squats and jumping jacks sufficient? maybe a few sprints too? like 6 days a week

Calorie Calculator

Health officials will tell you it important we have a weekly exercise regimen where we exercise for 35 continuous minutes for at least four times a week. How rigorous this be entirely dependent on the individual and where it sensible to seek your doctors advice as to what is appropriate for you. You would be surprised for instance if you were to take 40 minutes after dinner each day to go for a brisk walk in your area, or if you were to drive to a scenic area nearby that is reachable all year round. Such can become social as well as you will find walking a activity of choice for many people. Which ever it can be a solitary activity or social one, but it one activity where generally economics does not rule any of us out of and we are able to do to late in our natural lives. Like many things it about being your own person, it not important in relation to others how fast or long you are walking, one need do their best and regularly and results will come.
One practice that is of value to consider in terms of burning more calories is often we park cars as close to front doors of wherever we are visiting, park further away in lot so you will walk a little further. When having option to walk a few flights or stairs or elevator , take the stairs. Walk to the corner store instead of jumping in the car. Such activities add up. .....

Edited by millbank, 27 June 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#8 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,642 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

Just do crossfit.

#9 MARCELL DAREUS POWER

MARCELL DAREUS POWER

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Calorie Calculator

Health officials will tell you it important we have a weekly exercise regimen where we exercise for 35 continuous minutes for at least four times a week. How rigorous this be entirely dependent on the individual and where it sensible to seek your doctors advice as to what is appropriate for you. You would be surprised for instance if you were to take 40 minutes after dinner each day to go for a brisk walk in your area, or if you were to drive to a scenic area nearby that is reachable all year round. Such can become social as well as you will find walking a activity of choice for many people. Which ever it can be a solitary activity or social one, but it one activity where generally economics does not rule any of us out of and we are able to do to late in our natural lives. Like many things it about being your own person, it not important in relation to others how fast or long you are walking, one need do their best and regularly and results will come.
One practice that is of value to consider in terms of burning more calories is often we park cars as close to front doors of wherever we are visiting, park further away in lot so you will walk a little further. When having option to walk a few flights or stairs or elevator , take the stairs. Walk to the corner store instead of jumping in the car. Such activities add up. .....

I Guess 6 20 min workouts would be ok...

#10 millbank

millbank

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

I Guess 6 20 min workouts would be ok...

i encourage to find a exercise regimen that will become part of your life just the same as brushing your teeth and showering. Something good for all seasons and something you will continue with as you get older. A short term plan will give you only short term results. It important to take a part of day and make it your time and be not flexible about it. Most often it means going to bed an hr. earlier getting up an hr earlier , such things can be tough at first but in time become life routine that you , your family , friends, ect understand. One just need look about , see and talk with older folk , I mean those in their late eighties, nineties, ect. You will find they in most cases are active people, walking, volunteering, doing their own tasks instead of hiring others to do it for them, make smart choices in diet. , do activities where they are meeting others, (being isolated, alone, bored huge enemy for those having weight issues) . I can be surprising how does doing the simple stuff right, can make all the difference in the world. To often we look for answers to our difficulties in so many area's , pondering about the process at depths, and extents we muddy it to feeling as though it all impossible, when the answer to it more often than not right in front of our noses to be found in doing the basic and simple correctly.

( old guy talking who has had much experience in doing much wrong)

Edited by millbank, 02 July 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#11 Juror#8

Juror#8

A Rolex GMT and a glass of bourbon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Squats is a composite exercise, usually associated with gaining muscle. Push ups is a solid upper-body exercise.

At the end of the day in order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you're taking in. I would think that a cardio exercise would be better dedicated to accomplishing that objective.

I guess that in theory you could accomplish the same through squats and push ups, I would just think that it would take longer. But you'd certainly have a solid and very strong core once everything slimmed out.

#12 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

If you want ot lose wieght, you'll need to eat less (and better). Exercise won't get you too far on weight loss. Working of a Snickers bar or a glass of OJ on an elliptical machine will take you 30 minutes. Working out doesn't get you that far towards weight loss at first. Once you put on muscle though, it can help.

If you want to lose weight but stay "full feeling," avoid all the simple carbs that you can. Never eat bread, grains, or pasta--or at least if you feel you must have a piece of bread now and then, make that your desert...one piece and that's it. Treat all that crap like a roll of sweet tarts: Pure usueless candy food. Eat lots of protein and for carbs, veggies and fruit (though much less than veggies). Don't drink your calories where you can avoid it...especially beer. Obviously, stay away from sweets and any processed food (any packaged food with more than 5 ingredients or an ingredient you never heard of, treat as a forbidden Frankenfood). You will lose weight and feel full. If you're already overweight, just making those changes will drop a lot of pounds.

Obviously skipping breakfast or another meal is retarded because then you'll binge on crap food as your body goes into desperation for easy calories.

The formula is not that hard to understand. It is hard for some to execute.

Edited by John Adams, 16 July 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#13 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

If you want ot lose wieght, you'll need to eat less (and better). Exercise wont' get you too far on weight loss. Working of a Snickers bar or a glass of OJ on an elliptical machine will take you 30 minutes. Working out doesn't get you that far towards weight loss at first. Once you put on muscle though, it can help.

If you want to lose weight but stay "full feeling," avoid all the simple carbs that you can. Never eat bread, grains, or pasta--or at least if you feel you must have a piece of bread now and then, make that your desert...one piece and that's it. Treat all that crap like a roll of sweet tarts: Pure usueless candy food. Eat lost of protein and for carbs, veggies and fruit (though much less than veggies). Don't drink your calories where you can avoid it...especially beer. Obviously, stay away from sweets and any processed food (any packaged food with more than 5 ingredients or an ingredient you never heard of, treat as a Frankenfood). You will lose weight and feel full. If you're already overweight, just making those changes will drop a lot of pounds.

Obviously skipping breakfast or another meal is retarded because then you'll binge on crap food as your body goes into desperation for easy calories.

The formula is not that hard to understand. It is hard for some to execute.

Even putting on muscle doesn't help that much. For each pound of muscle, you burn something like 10-15 extra calories a day. Certainly helps, but not over diet.

#14 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

I have read that you burn a 1/3 more fat, if you do at least 20 minutes cardio after weight lifting. I think you could substitute the pushups for weight, as they both are resistance training.

What you eat is also very important- I used to eat burger king and McDonalds twice a day and pizza hut twice a week. Now I have a lot of protein smoothies (wasn't big on fruit before) and substituted PB&J on wheat for the burgers- wheat instead of white is a good switch, as long as it really is wheat.

Another good switch, if you like pizza, it to go with the thin/crunchy crust, as most of the calories are in the crust- keep away from pepperoni, bacon and sausage as toppings- if you really must have meat on your pizza, stick with chicken or ham.

#15 Drifter

Drifter

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Marcell, everyone here has given great advice. I have used many of these strategies to lose over 100 pounds.
Sustained movement would serve you better at this stage than short hard bursts like sprinting. As a runner I can tell you it take time for your ligaments and joints to adjust to the pounding. The added weight you are carrying will stress your joints giving you a higher chance of injury. Start off by walking 4-5 times a week for at least 20 minutes, then build up time from there.

#16 MARCELL DAREUS POWER

MARCELL DAREUS POWER

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

now, ive lost more weight... down to 302ish... i do weights 3 days a week, cardio the other 3 days( 30-40min)... been trying to supplement 2 protein shakes( for breakfast and snack) and then eat 2 500 cal meals...

i usually stay between 1500-2000 cals

still need to lose a good 50lbs

i was 331

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER, 08 September 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#17 LiterateStylish

LiterateStylish

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Most bariatric surgeons will tell you that it is NOT that simple.

#18 birdog1960

birdog1960

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

i see many, many people in search of the answer to weight loss...and there isn't a single one (and anyone who tells you there is, is lying and probably looking for a dishonest buck). it's about the simple equation of burning off more than you take in. an endocrinologist colleague gives a simple answer to the question when asked. he writes "1200 calories" and tells them that's the secret. that's pretty hard to do though.

i recently bought zumba for wii and did it 20 minutes a night for a week. lost about 3#'s and almost an inch of waist. and enjoyed it. if i were single i'd probably enjoy doing it even more in a class. there's a few studies on zumba and they've been very encouraging.

another recent study looked at commonalities of women over 50 who were successful at weight loss. the most obvious commonsality was daily intake of fruits and vegetables...always good advice.

#19 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,771 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

i see many, many people in search of the answer to weight loss...and there isn't a single one (and anyone who tells you there is, is lying and probably looking for a dishonest buck). it's about the simple equation of burning off more than you take in. an endocrinologist colleague gives a simple answer to the question when asked. he writes "1200 calories" and tells them that's the secret. that's pretty hard to do though.

i recently bought zumba for wii and did it 20 minutes a night for a week. lost about 3#'s and almost an inch of waist. and enjoyed it. if i were single i'd probably enjoy doing it even more in a class. there's a few studies on zumba and they've been very encouraging.

another recent study looked at commonalities of women over 50 who were successful at weight loss. the most obvious commonsality was daily intake of fruits and vegetables...always good advice.

The time I saw the most results was when I cut bread/pasta and most sugars to a minimum and upped my protein intake as well as lots of veggies and exercising everyday.

My personal trainer/nutritionist came from this back ground : http://www.charlespoliquin.com/

#20 MARCELL DAREUS POWER

MARCELL DAREUS POWER

RFA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

can you act like mcgahee and lose weight?