Jump to content


FWIW: Whitner commentary on Bills coaching


  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 iommi

iommi

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

http://www.49ers.com...86-291021117e39

#2 Coach Tuesday

Coach Tuesday

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'm sorry but I just can't stomach listening to him talk - can someone sum it up?

#3 SageAgainstTheMachine

SageAgainstTheMachine

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostCoach Tuesday, on 04 October 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

I'm sorry but I just can't stomach listening to him talk - can someone sum it up?

Really?  He's not Socrates, but a pretty well spoken man.

#4 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostSageAgainstTheMachine, on 04 October 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Really?  He's not Socrates, but a pretty well spoken man.

I think so as well.In summary..he said he was drafted for a position he did  not fit in the cover 2..Said all good things bout Stevie, Freddie, CJ. Said sometimes you caoch em and stuff works in practice, does not work in game.

Only thing I took was somewhat off what Chan said eralier in week, and I am paraphasing...guys not confident they will win, and that can be coaching"

You can tell he is confident they will beat the Bills on Sunday..not cocky but confident

But Bills work hard and play hard.

Edited by plenzmd1, 04 October 2012 - 01:22 PM.


#5 Buffalo 66

Buffalo 66

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Sometimes the truth hurts.

#6 BuffaloFan68

BuffaloFan68

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for sharing the post.  It just goes to show that the players know when the coaching is setting them up to fail.

#7 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostBuffaloFan68, on 04 October 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Thanks for sharing the post.  It just goes to show that the players know when the coaching is setting them up to fail.

What a crock.  This isn't pee wee or high school.  There are only a few coaches who are truly difference makers (Peyton, BB, Harbaugh).  Most of the rest of the coaches are whatever.  90% of the time, talent and elite QBs win.   There is nothing I hate worse than fans blaming coaches for underachieving millionaire players.

That said, I like Whitner and he never got a fair shot here.  He was nothing but a positive Bill and was a good solid player, jsut not the #8 overall.  But that was never his fault, yet fans couldn't separate that.  Anyways, he's to Graham catching a td bomb on DW on Sunday.

#8 atlbillsfan1975

atlbillsfan1975

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostC.Biscuit97, on 04 October 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

What a crock.  This isn't pee wee or high school.  There are only a few coaches who are truly difference makers (Peyton, BB, Harbaugh).  Most of the rest of the coaches are whatever.  90% of the time, talent and elite QBs win.   There is nothing I hate worse than fans blaming coaches for underachieving millionaire players.

That said, I like Whitner and he never got a fair shot here.  He was nothing but a positive Bill and was a good solid player, jsut not the #8 overall.  But that was never his fault, yet fans couldn't separate that.  Anyways, he's to Graham catching a td bomb on DW on Sunday.
Exactly.
Whitner was a solid player. Worth the 8th pick? No. But that is not his fault. He tried to be  aleader on a team that had none, including its coach- under Jauron.
He is showing that with proper players around him and good coaching he is a solid starter in this league. Good luck to him, but yes i hope Graham or another guy gets deep behind him because hit bites on a play fake to freddie. I would come out with that play to start the game.

#9 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

View Postatlbillsfan1975, on 04 October 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Exactly.
Whitner was a solid player. Worth the 8th pick? No. But that is not his fault. He tried to be  aleader on a team that had none, including its coach- under Jauron.
He is showing that with proper players around him and good coaching he is a solid starter in this league. Good luck to him, but yes i hope Graham or another guy gets deep behind him because hit bites on a play fake to freddie. I would come out with that play to start the game.

Good point.  He will be some amped for this game and probably super aggresive.  Play action passes could work really well.

#10 KollegeStudnet

KollegeStudnet

    on like a mofo

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Whitner's words seem truthful...and the truth hurts

#11 KollegeStudnet

KollegeStudnet

    on like a mofo

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Here is some truth...

What Whitner is saying is Jim Harbaugh is a great coach and great coaches come in and create a winning atmosphere with the players he has.

Harbaugh took an underachieving 6-10 team with a bust of a QB...and molded it into a 13-3 team with the same group and that bust of a QB took this team to the 2011 NFC Championship game.

Chan Gailey is 12-24 as the Bills head coach and is 30-38 all time in the NFL as a head coach.

Chan's contract is up at the end of this season.

One of Whitner's biggest gripes about Chan is he didn't like how he publicly criticized players--including himself and didn't play to the players potential.

Edited by KollegeStudnet, 04 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.


#12 BuffBill

BuffBill

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

View Postiommi, on 04 October 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

I read it and don't have one bit of a problem actually believing what he said.  I know he ran his mouth here, but it was mostly the competitor in him, but what he says about his time in Buffalo, and the team results while he was here do go hand in hand.  He wasn't one of these ex-Bills who is bashing the city, fans or even the weather, what he did say didn't surprise me even one little tiny bit.

View PostC.Biscuit97, on 04 October 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

What a crock.  This isn't pee wee or high school.  There are only a few coaches who are truly difference makers (Peyton, BB, Harbaugh).  Most of the rest of the coaches are whatever.  90% of the time, talent and elite QBs win.   There is nothing I hate worse than fans blaming coaches for underachieving millionaire players.

That said, I like Whitner and he never got a fair shot here.  He was nothing but a positive Bill and was a good solid player, jsut not the #8 overall.  But that was never his fault, yet fans couldn't separate that.  Anyways, he's to Graham catching a td bomb on DW on Sunday.
Not saying it is always the coach, and often times it isn't, but why were so many people bashing Wannstedt after the Patriots game?

#13 KollegeStudnet

KollegeStudnet

    on like a mofo

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostBuffBill, on 04 October 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:


Not saying it is always the coach, and often times it isn't, but why were so many people bashing Wannstedt after the Patriots game?

As much as I want Chan to win, I highly doubt he will with Wannstache.  Adjustments are key, as are blitzes.  We have Anderson and Mario on the ends--with hardly any blitzes!?

(This is an example to acknowledge your post...of me venting again about Wannstedt)

Edited by KollegeStudnet, 04 October 2012 - 02:48 PM.


#14 BUFFALOTONE

BUFFALOTONE

    C'Mon Jimmy!!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

HE could always hit but semed hesitent in the scheme, now he just runs down hill and takes chances with the best front 7 in football.

#15 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,613 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostKollegeStudnet, on 04 October 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Here is some truth...

What Whitner is saying is Jim Harbaugh is a great coach and great coaches come in and create a winning atmosphere with the players he has.

Harbaugh took an underachieving 6-10 team with a bust of a QB...and molded it into a 13-3 team with the same group and that bust of a QB took this team to the 2011 NFC Championship game.

Chan Gailey is 12-28 as the Bills head coach and is 30-38 all time in the NFL as a head coach.

Chan's contract is up at the end of this season.

One of Whitner's biggest gripes about Chan is he didn't like how he publicly criticized players--including himself and didn't play to the players potential.

I heard an inteview with Harbaugh on a local sports station this week. They asked him about the "collegiate" atmosphere he's created with the Niners.  He said the whole collegiate atmosphere he's created would be correct if it weren't so erroneous. :lol:   But he said why they all work so hard and seem to enjoy what they do is because they're all real good at what they do. I heard a quote from the conductor of the NY Philharmonic once (forgot his name).  His goal with the orchestra is to make his role superfluous.  That is so true and it is the same with football.

#16 ko12010

ko12010

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostC.Biscuit97, on 04 October 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:



What a crock.  This isn't pee wee or high school.  There are only a few coaches who are truly difference makers (Peyton, BB, Harbaugh).  Most of the rest of the coaches are whatever.  90% of the time, talent and elite QBs win.   There is nothing I hate worse than fans blaming coaches for underachieving millionaire players.

That said, I like Whitner and he never got a fair shot here.  He was nothing but a positive Bill and was a good solid player, jsut not the #8 overall.  But that was never his fault, yet fans couldn't separate that.  Anyways, he's to Graham catching a td bomb on DW on Sunday.

I don't think it's possible for me to disagree with you more. Your sentiments here reflect IMO the attitude of fans who want everything to be as simple as black and white. I think coaches, systems, management are extremely important

#17 FeartheLosing

FeartheLosing

    In our prayers

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostBUFFALOTONE, on 04 October 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

HE could always hit but semed hesitent in the scheme, now he just runs down hill and takes chances with the best front 7 in football.
My take is he was so worried about doing everyone else's job in Buffalo he had a tough time just doing his own. All he did was make the tackles the front 7 in front of him would whiff on.

Whitner is right about Harbough,although I hope BB is correct and the Bills end up with Vic Fangio as their new HC next year

View Postko12010, on 04 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

I don't think it's possible for me to disagree with you more. Your sentiments here reflect IMO the attitude of fans who want everything to be as simple as black and white. I think coaches, systems, management are extremely important
yea me too, coaching is everything

#18 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postko12010, on 04 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

I don't think it's possible for me to disagree with you more. Your sentiments here reflect IMO the attitude of fans who want everything to be as simple as black and white. I think coaches, systems, management are extremely important

Then explain why Belichick was a Dick Jauron type coach before Brady?  What did Bill Walsh do before Montana?  Of course, systems matter but it still is a player driven league.  If Gailey had a qb like Brady or Rodgers, he magically becomes a much better coach.  His system has made unheralded guys like Fitz, F Jax, SJ, and Nelson into quality NFL players.  So he's a good coach.  However without having that elite QB, he will always be limited.

IMO, Harbaugh is the best coach in the NFL because of what he has done with a limited QB.  Andy Reid may be the best QB coach in the NFL and has made average qbs look very good.  But he has always been limited because he never had that one true elite QB (McNabb was close but we all saw how his career finished).  Again, behind every great coach is a great QB.

#19 KollegeStudnet

KollegeStudnet

    on like a mofo

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostFear the Beard, on 04 October 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:


Whitner is right about Harbough,although I hope BB is correct and the Bills end up with Vic Fangio as their new HC next year

Fangio would be a great HC!

What's funny is Vic Fangio is a 3-4 coach, which means we would switch back to a 3-4. Lol we would switch back again.

Edited by KollegeStudnet, 04 October 2012 - 03:48 PM.


#20 Lincoln Osiris

Lincoln Osiris

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have to agree with him, I mean the evidence is clear as day, it doesn't matter who we have on the field the coaching is outdated. No real coaches want to come in and work under Ralph Wilson in my eyes idk what it is but we can't get good coaches to come here.