Jump to content


I never saw this coming regarding Dareus's play....


  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Kipers Hair

Kipers Hair

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:49 PM


Dareus, according to the football analytics site ProFootballFocus.com, is the lowest-rated of 77 defensive tackles, and last of all defensive tackles against the run.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297FUJa9d



#2 deep2evans

deep2evans

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

don't really know what to say.  shocking doesn't do it justice.

of all the disappointments (mario, fitz, no pass rush, safety play), dareus' sucktitude might be the worst.  compounding that problem is the fact that there are a few hall-of-fame type of talents drafted right after him.  would certainly be par for the !@#$ing course if we swung and missed again in the top 5 of a draft.  he NEEDS to pick it up and play to his "potential" or we're in worse shape than we think.

#3 AReed Deep For6

AReed Deep For6

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

We gotta cross our fingers as a fanbase and hope all this falls on Wannys shoulders.  Dareus looked awesome last year and I had hoped for alot more through these first 5games from him.  Pleassssssssse pretty please have this all be Wannys fault

#4 kobe808lak

kobe808lak

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hope its just a rough stretch for him... not playing like the guy he was in College.

#5 BillsFanM.D.

BillsFanM.D.

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Remember...... the guy is dealing with very recent tragedy in his family.   There are no 'rules' for how one copes with those type of things.  He may not be all that 'into' his job right now.  I know he makes millions etc, but he is also human.

#6 papazoid

papazoid

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

of the first five players drafted in marcel's class.....only one hasn't made it to the pro bowl......

#7 Best Player Available

Best Player Available

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostKipers Hair, on 12 October 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:


Dareus, according to the football analytics site ProFootballFocus.com, is the lowest-rated of 77 defensive tackles, and last of all defensive tackles against the run.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297FUJa9d


Not a big worry. Wanny just needs to get the kid some better "fit(s)". He'll be fine when he has a true NFL coach next season. or he will be gone when his rookie contract expires.

#8 playman

playman

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostBest Player Available, on 12 October 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Not a big worry. Wanny just needs to get the kid some better "fit(s)". He'll be fine when he has a true NFL coach next season. or he will be gone when his rookie contract expires.

and then become a fixture in the pro-bowl and goes into the hall as one of the most dominating DTs ever -.-

#9 Best Player Available

Best Player Available

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

View Postplayman, on 12 October 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

and then become a fixture in the pro-bowl and goes into the hall as one of the most dominating DTs ever -.-
Oh, that's a given!

#10 MDH

MDH

    My mind is going...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'm curious what they had him rated last year when everybody was singing his praises.  He didn't just suddenly start sucking.  Two things are different - 1) he's dealing with the death of his brother (i.e. his heart might not be into playing atm and I wouldn't blame him) and 2) New defensive scheme and coordinator.

I'd imagine it's a combination of the two.  The guy is a talent and if he wants to be good he will be good.  My guess is he turns it around at some point this season, I just hope it's not too late.

#11 5 Wide

5 Wide

    Saint Doug

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just a bad fit so far this year. Maybe its his level of fitness, or he is struggling to fit in. Centers and guards are giving him fits.

#12 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

View Postpapazoid, on 12 October 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

of the first five players drafted in marcel's class.....only one hasn't made it to the pro bowl......

Not to mention Julio Jones, JJ Watt, and Aldon Smith were all Drafted after the Top 5... B-)

#13 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    When your number is called you got to make a play!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

You know the Bills are the worst team in the NFL against the run, well technically 3rd worst, but they're only 6 yards difference between the Jests and 'Aints.

So how could an individual rank well on a team like that?

Run Defense is a team sport.

#14 Hopeful

Hopeful

    clearing the swamp

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostKipers Hair, on 12 October 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:


Dareus, according to the football analytics site ProFootballFocus.com, is the lowest-rated of 77 defensive tackles, and last of all defensive tackles against the run.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297FUJa9d



Well, right now the Bills are #30 for run D as a team and that's only because they did OK against KC and the Browns.

It kind of stands to reason the individual players on a team in that position aren't going to be highly rated.

#15 D521646

D521646

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

The guy did lose someone really close to him a few weeks ago and still played.  I'm not questioning his heart.

Tim-

#16 DC Tom

DC Tom

    Also sniping at retards from the balcony

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostD521646, on 12 October 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

The guy did lose someone really close to him a few weeks ago and still played.  I'm not questioning his heart.

Tim-

Although it could be that his loss is causing him to reconsider his commitment to football.

#17 HalftimeAdjustment

HalftimeAdjustment

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

So, if I was the coach and felt he was underperforming because of his recent family tragedy... I would probably do this:

1) Keep him in as starter. Officially dropping him would probably be bad for him and probably bad for team morale given the situation.
2) Call for a LOT of substitution packages with his backup. Assuming his backup is playing better. Otherwise.... do nothing.

Beyond that you just have to give him time to work through it. If he comes back next year and does poorly you deal with it at that time... Hopefully that is not the case. If it hurts his performance for future seasons he should seek help... but I do not think the team can get into that. Right now the loss is too fresh and there is very little anyone can do about it.

#18 LandShark13

LandShark13

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

On a more positive note Randy Starks won AFC defensive player of the week!


Sorry couldn't help myself =)

#19 Johnny Hammersticks

Johnny Hammersticks

    You want a beer? How about some ether?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

View Postkobe808lak, on 12 October 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Hope its just a rough stretch for him... not playing like the guy he was in College.

Not playing like the player he was in his rookie season either...

#20 bouds

bouds

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostMDH, on 12 October 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I'm curious what they had him rated last year when everybody was singing his praises.  He didn't just suddenly start sucking.  Two things are different - 1) he's dealing with the death of his brother (i.e. his heart might not be into playing atm and I wouldn't blame him) and 2) New defensive scheme and coordinator.

I'd imagine it's a combination of the two.  The guy is a talent and if he wants to be good he will be good.  My guess is he turns it around at some point this season, I just hope it's not too late.

Here's a fantasy football related article they put out a few months ago.

https://www.profootb...marcell-dareus/

And he had no other pass rushers around him.  His run grade wasn't the greatest last year, but it was a positive even though Kyle Williams was out for the majority of the year.