Jump to content


Ron brooks


  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 BeastMode54

BeastMode54

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I don't have extreme insight into his play but I thought he was aggressive and all over the field. I think he could actually be a good one. Anyone else agree?

#2 MoreOffense

MoreOffense

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well they threw at him all day. And since they are the Jags...they had no success. That said...lets wait until Brady tests him and see how that goes.

#3 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

For his first start I thought he played well. Young CBs are gonna get picked on and burnt. It's a given.

However, Henne, Shorts, and Blackmon and Marcedes Lewis have been lighting it up pretty well over the last few weeks.

The weather hurt their passing game a bit but I liked what I saw from Brooks.

#4 mrags

mrags

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,209 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostTheNewBills, on 02 December 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

Well they threw at him all day. And since they are the Jags...they had no success. That said...lets wait until Brady tests him and see how that goes.
Was gonna say the same thing. He was picked on often today. He plays very aggressive and I still think he will be our other starter next to Gilmore for the future. He of course missed some time but I think he will get better. At least I hope so.

#5 wonderbread

wonderbread

    Selfish Lover

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

I think his inexperience really hurt them today. He could eventually be a decent player but really needs to work harder.

#6 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Or maybe he just needs more experience.

Brooks did not start in college btw.

For all we know, he has a great work ethic.

#7 billsfan11

billsfan11

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

very up and down day. looked great sometimes and lost on others. i think he will be a good player though. plus, cecil shorts who he was covering for the most part 1 on 1 is a pretty good receiver

#8 Dragonborn10

Dragonborn10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yes he didn't start at LSU last year which is a CB factory that had a top 10 DB drafted by Dallas and a Heisman Trophy candidate at the other spot.  He played nickel and is reportedly faster than both of the starters.  If he had not gotten hurt he would have been the nickel or dime DB.

#9 Cereal

Cereal

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I hope someone sat down after the game and told him not to be discouraged... As others have said, the Jags were picking on him all game; he's probably a little bit frustrated!

But yeah, it'd be tough to be disappointed, given it was his first start.

#10 jahnyc

jahnyc

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

He looked like a raw rookie to me.  Seemed like he was penalized a lot and had his back to the ball a fair amount.  We will see what the looks like with more practice and game experience.  Who knows at this point.

#11 mjt328

mjt328

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Really?

He was terrible today.

He got beat several times and never looked back for the ball.  In a closer game, that stupid personal foul could have cost us a win.
The only thing that saved his butt was that Henne sucks.

#12 Alphadawg7

Alphadawg7

    WATKINS!!!!!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostDadonkadonk, on 02 December 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Yes he didn't start at LSU last year which is a CB factory that had a top 10 DB drafted by Dallas and a Heisman Trophy candidate at the other spot.  He played nickel and is reportedly faster than both of the starters.  If he had not gotten hurt he would have been the nickel or dime DB.

He was also player of the game multiple times when he did get some starts because one of the others were out.  On any other team he would have been a college all star and a sure first rounder.  This kid is way talented, trust me when I say he is gonna be a good one.  Just like I predicted with Byrd on draft night, i also said it on draft night when brooks was taken,  and I am still saying it now...he's gonna be very good.

Edited by Alphadawg7, 02 December 2012 - 11:27 PM.


#13 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

View Postmjt328, on 02 December 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Really?

He was terrible today.

He got beat several times and never looked back for the ball.  In a closer game, that stupid personal foul could have cost us a win.
The only thing that saved his butt was that Henne sucks.

Yeah really. He's a rookie in his first start.

I can remember three passes he broke up and several times when he had good coverage.

It's a given that a rookie CB is his first career start is gonna have a few rough spots.

#14 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

It's always interesting comparing opinions here.

#15 QB Bills

QB Bills

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I don't think he was good at all today. He was getting beat all game long. Luckily it was Henne back there and not someone more competent.

Gilmore, on the other hand, had a great game. He seems to be getting better every week.

#16 jumbalaya

jumbalaya

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostCereal, on 02 December 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

I hope someone sat down after the game and told him not to be discouraged... As others have said, the Jags were picking on him all game; he's probably a little bit frustrated!

But yeah, it'd be tough to be disappointed, given it was his first start.
I hope that he is grown up enough that no one had to sit down and say that to him.  This isn't little league for god's sake.

#17 TakeYouToTasker

TakeYouToTasker

    The smartest man in the room.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

He looked like a promising rookie with a fair amount of upside making his first professional start and drawing a very tough coverage assignment against one of the leagues best young play-makers at the WR position.

He made a few mistakes, but never got lost in coverage, used the sideline well, controlled routes, and closed on the ball better than I anticipated.  He also played a much more physical game than I had anticipated.

All in all, a pretty good first effort.  I am encouraged.

#18 Numark

Numark

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

compare gilmore's first few games to his last few games....


brooks did just fine for his first start.  I was impressed

#19 mjt328

mjt328

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostSan Jose Bills Fan, on 02 December 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:



Yeah really. He's a rookie in his first start.

I can remember three passes he broke up and several times when he had good coverage.

It's a given that a rookie CB is his first career start is gonna have a few rough spots.

Bad is bad.  Good is good.  
Rookie or not, he was bad today.  With a better QB and recievers, there is no telling how many yards he would have let up today.

If he gets better, I will get excited about him.

I've just seen too many Aaron Williams, Justin Rogers, Leodis McKelvin, Ellis Lankster, Ashton Youboty performances... and watched those guys never get better after their rookie seasons.

#20 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

View Postmjt328, on 02 December 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

Bad is bad.  Good is good.  
Rookie or not, he was bad today.  With a better QB and recievers, there is no telling how many yards he would have let up today.

If he gets better, I will get excited about him.

I've just seen too many Aaron Williams, Justin Rogers, Leodis McKelvin, Ellis Lankster, Ashton Youboty performances... and watched those guys never get better after their rookie seasons.

I hear you but I think you have to look at things in context too.

For instance, how would you judge Nick Foles' performance tonight?