Jump to content


Alex Carrington - Profootballfocus Secret Superstar


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 DukeyBomb

DukeyBomb

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

You have to hand it to the big guy. You also have to hand it to the coaches for keeping him around ahead of Dwan Edwards. Now I am definitely not one of those guys counting Troup out and I am more than excited to see a rotation of Williams, Dareus, Carrington and Troup for years. I'm excited for this line and it really has become the strength of this defense like everyone thought it should be. And one last note... I really like Kelsay but is he not the weakest link for sure this time? I think Merriman right now still has some upside coming back from those injuries. He's only going to get better with playing time. Keep him over Kelsay. Just my two cents.

Alex Carrington — DT, Buffalo Bills

The big news in Buffalo has obviously been the resurgence of big-money free agent acquisition Mario Williams, who looked much more like the player we saw in the past in last week’s win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Lost in all the talk about Williams however, was the stellar play of defensive tackle Alex Carrington who, despite playing just 20 snaps on Sunday, had his most impressive display of the season.
With such a limited snap count he saw just three snaps against the run against Jacksonville, but in making two tackles which resulted in defensive stops — giving him a Run Stop Percentage of 66.7% — he flashed the ability to play the run well. Most of his work came as a pass rusher and, with two sacks from 13 snaps, he finished the game with a PRP Rating of 15.4%. Both sacks came in a fourth quarter that saw him add a batted pass on 4th-and-5 with 1:54 left in the game. Both Mario and Kyle Williams will continue to be the focus of the defensive line, but on Sunday Carrington showed that he can contribute as part of a rotation — good news for Bills fans who expected more consistency from the defensive line this season.

#2 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    Kyle Williams 95

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

He definitely played well but as they say one game isn't a trend, Hopefully he continues to improve.

(Troupe is done, stick a fork in him)

#3 Stussy109

Stussy109

    Russ Brandon CEO CFO VP of CHucke CHeese's ANalytics Dept

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

Alex Carrington was a beast, he deserves big props. He was dominating so much i didnt get a chance to see, but it looked like he was playing against a 3rd string guard. He was bullrushing every play, even splitting double teams.

#4 CSBill

CSBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

He has been improving all season, I think he is going to be a quality rotational guy for many years to come. I still wonder, could he be a good fit for end in the 4-3 scheme? He and Mario protecting the edge, now that would be something to see.

And, (cue the dream music now) if Troupe ever gets back, taht would be icing on the cake for this D-line.

#5 Shoutbox

Shoutbox

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostBuffalo Barbarian, on 07 December 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

He definitely played well but as they say one game isn't a trend, Hopefully he continues to improve.

(Troupe is done, stick a fork in him)

Troup is done? You know that for sure? You know something about his health that the rest of us don't? Is he finished just like Carrington was finished by the beginning of this season?

#6 Webster Guy

Webster Guy

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostMarc Miller, on 07 December 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

Troup is done? You know that for sure? You know something about his health that the rest of us don't? Is he finished just like Carrington was finished by the beginning of this season?
The guy underwent surgery for a fractured spine, a scary injury for anyone---especially an interior lineman in the NFL who battles 300 pounders in the trenches every play.   It would be nice to see him contribute someday but I agree its a long shot for sure.  

As far as Carrington goes, he was underwhelming at LB and DE for us, and was on the roster bubble this offseason for sure.  I thought we would cut the guy in favor of Dwan Edwards in there, who played well last season. Thankfully we switched to the 4-3 and moved him inside which is looking like his natural position now.    

If you didn't question Carrington making the team then you don't follow training camp.

#7 JPS

JPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostBuffalo Barbarian, on 07 December 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

He definitely played well but as they say one game isn't a trend, Hopefully he continues to improve.

(Troupe is done, stick a fork in him)

Is he still with the team?? Troupe??

Edited by JPS, 07 December 2012 - 08:29 AM.


#8 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,502 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Carrington has been steadily improving since he got here, and through 3 defensive schemes and 3 different positions in 3 years. He seems to come up big when needed. I cant remember the plays from the previous seasons, but I wasnt surprised that it was Carrington who got a piece of that kick in Arizona and saved the game.

Not bad for a young player who is getting limited time in a very good rotation. If he can keep consistently producing, he could be a keeper for years to come.

#9 Webster Guy

Webster Guy

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostJPS, on 07 December 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

Is he still with the team?? Troupe??
IR

#10 mountainwampus

mountainwampus

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostCSBill, on 07 December 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

He has been improving all season, I think he is going to be a quality rotational guy for many years to come. I still wonder, could he be a good fit for end in the 4-3 scheme? He and Mario protecting the edge, now that would be something to see.

And, (cue the dream music now) if Troupe ever gets back, taht would be icing on the cake for this D-line.

Yes, he can play end. Kelsay got injured last year and Carrington took over (technically as a 3-4 OLB) and he had major success. He had 4 run stuffs and a pass deflect for an INT, playing at Kelsays spot for 2 games. It boggles the mind why he's not on the field more. He looked like JJ Watt batting a pass in the last minute of the Jax game.

#11 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Carrington is what we wanted Maybin to be.. orator least what we would have settled for...

I really hope Troup pans out. Hard not to like him

#12 PaattMaann

PaattMaann

    TBD's Resident Drunk

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

lol @ Troupe love....hes fat, has a bad back, and is ugly....seeeee yaaaaaaaaa

#13 Haven Moses

Haven Moses

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Carrington is what we wanted Darius to be...

#14 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,502 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostHaven Moses, on 07 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

Carrington is what we wanted Darius to be...

lol, not even close. Here is another classic example of "The backup QB being the most popular guy". Except this time it's DT.

Dareus has had a bit of a sophomore slump and Carrington has played well in his limited opportunities, but let's not get crazy.

#15 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostDrDareustein, on 07 December 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:



lol, not even close. Here is another classic example of "The backup QB being the most popular guy". Except this time it's DT.

Dareus has had a bit of a sophomore slump and Carrington has played well in his limited opportunities, but let's not get crazy.
Which is why I said what we wanted Maybin to be. A situational player designed to impact a game in a low percentage of plays.

Edit:  someone comparing Dareus to Carrington. Ha.

Edited by jboyst62, 07 December 2012 - 09:48 AM.


#16 T master

T master

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostWebster Guy, on 07 December 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

The guy underwent surgery for a fractured spine, a scary injury for anyone---especially an interior lineman in the NFL who battles 300 pounders in the trenches every play.   It would be nice to see him contribute someday but I agree its a long shot for sure.  

As far as Carrington goes, he was underwhelming at LB and DE for us, and was on the roster bubble this offseason for sure.  I thought we would cut the guy in favor of Dwan Edwards in there, who played well last season. Thankfully we switched to the 4-3 and moved him inside which is looking like his natural position now.

If you didn't question Carrington making the team then you don't follow training camp.

I did question his play in the preseason but i also questioned us playing him out of his natural position which was DE in college .

That was the reason we drafted him, but they changed scheme to 3/4 & then the LB experiment (go figure that one) & that is what lead to his bad play the guy has been out of position pretty much ever since we signed him ...

I can only imagine him at about 290 at DE opposite of Mario ...

Edited by T master, 07 December 2012 - 10:05 AM.


#17 MDFan

MDFan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostDrDareustein, on 07 December 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

lol, not even close. Here is another classic example of "The backup QB being the most popular guy". Except this time it's DT.

Dareus has had a bit of a sophomore slump and Carrington has played well in his limited opportunities, but let's not get crazy.
Agree.  I am pleased to see Carrington making plays, but Dareus is the better player despite his slump this year.  The player we saw last year in Dareus was not an illusion.  He is talented and capable and I am betting he will rebound next year, despite the fact that many fans seem to have given up on him and want to call him a bust.

#18 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    When your number is called you got to make a play!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostMDFan, on 07 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Agree.  I am pleased to see Carrington making plays, but Dareus is the better player despite his slump this year.  The player we saw last year in Dareus was not an illusion.  He is talented and capable and I am betting he will rebound next year, despite the fact that many fans seem to have given up on him and want to call him a bust.

Any fan that wants call Dareus a bust should be drug out into the street and put to rest. That is beyond stupid.

I thought Carrington made plays at the end of last year but it was such a bad season it was hard to focus on that dim light.

He looks even better this year but he is doing what you want in a rotational player he is making plays when he is on the field. He is not giving the opposition's offensive line any rest.

I like Carrington but Dareus is a beast.

Taking Williams or Dareus out for a few plays and sticking Carrington is exactly what we want in our defensive line. Relentless Beasts with no reprieve for the offensive line.

#19 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,502 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostWhy So Serious?, on 07 December 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Any fan that wants call Dareus a bust should be drug out into the street and put to rest. That is beyond stupid.

I thought Carrington made plays at the end of last year but it was such a bad season it was hard to focus on that dim light.

He looks even better this year but he is doing what you want in a rotational player he is making plays when he is on the field. He is not giving the opposition's offensive line any rest.

I like Carrington but Dareus is a beast.

Taking Williams or Dareus out for a few plays and sticking Carrington is exactly what we want in our defensive line. Relentless Beasts with no reprieve for the offensive line.

Thank you MDFan and WSS?

WRT the bold... exactly! And I dont get why it always has to be "only one or the other" with the fans when we have multiple good players at the same position. Same thing happened with Jackson and Spiller. Posters who supported Jackson would also tear down Spiller, and vice versa.

BILL-ieve it or not, we can have multiple good players at a position. And if you like one, it doesnt mean the other sucks.

#20 RyanC883

RyanC883

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostMDFan, on 07 December 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Agree.  I am pleased to see Carrington making plays, but Dareus is the better player despite his slump this year.  The player we saw last year in Dareus was not an illusion.  He is talented and capable and I am betting he will rebound next year, despite the fact that many fans seem to have given up on him and want to call him a bust.

Agreed: labeling Dareus being a bust is ridiculous.  It could be a softmore slump, and don't forget that his brother was murdered.  Someone needs to get his head on right though.  He needs to take this offseason and work himself back into the beast he was last year.  He needs to come out motivated and hungry.