Jump to content


Buddy Nix's Honesty Means...


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jjmac

jjmac

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

that Chan Gailey wil be our coach next year, and Fitz will be our QB; unless, of course, RW fires him.

#2 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,494 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

No, it means that RIGHT NOW, when asked about it in the MIDDLE OF A SEASON, they are the coach and QB for now and the future. UNLESS better options make themselves available.

#3 jjmac

jjmac

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

That's not what he said the last interview I read.  He said that Gailey had at least next year.

#4 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,494 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Postjjmac, on 10 December 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

That's not what he said the last interview I read.  He said that Gailey had at least next year.

Right, because Chan technically has another year on his contract, and because the Bills cannot upgrade the position thanks to Ralph. But if there was a better option available and willing to come here, I'd bet Buddy talks to them. That being said, the better options aint comin. They already denied interviews 3 years ago, and the owner situation has only gotten worse.

There will be NO coaching changes/upgrades until Ralph is gone and the franchise situation stabilizes. It's a fact that us fans just have to live with.

#5 Maddog69

Maddog69

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Chan will be here.   They will draft a rookie QB to compete with Fitz and buy Nix/Gailey another couple years of paychecks.

#6 BmoreBills

BmoreBills

    Team Kelly, United

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostMaddog69, on 10 December 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Chan will be here.   They will draft a rookie QB to compete with Fitz and buy Nix/Gailey another couple years of paychecks.

Compete???? They don't even let Tavares Jackson DRESS much less play and they TRADED for him!!!!!!!!!!!

You have high expectations my friend LOL :D

#7 DDD

DDD

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostBmoreBills, on 10 December 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Compete???? They don't even let Tavares Jackson DRESS much less play and they TRADED for him!!!!!!!!!!!

You have high expectations my friend LOL :D

That is precisely why Nix and Gailey should be fired.  Trade for a guy who was going to get cut then keep him inactive for an entire season.  Someone didn't do there homework.   Though the stakes were much bigger, it reminded me of the stupidity shown by Marv Levy when he passed on Ngata for Whitner that traded back into the 1st round to draft McCargo.

#8 Maddog69

Maddog69

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostBmoreBills, on 10 December 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Compete???? They don't even let Tavares Jackson DRESS much less play and they TRADED for him!!!!!!!!!!!

You have high expectations my friend LOL :D
The competition would be a sham.   The whole idea of drafting a QB would be to sell the "future potential" of the kid on the fan base and owner so that Nix/Gailey get more time on the payroll.

Edited by Maddog69, 10 December 2012 - 01:47 PM.


#9 MaineMoxie

MaineMoxie

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, he seemed to make it clear that, in his mind, rebuilding takes more than three years.  Mind you, he took over a team that had finished 7-9 three out of the four previous years so it's not like they were starting from scratch.  There are plenty of examples of quicker turn-arounds (e.g. Indy this year, Miami a few years ago, etc.).

#10 vincec

vincec

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostMaineMoxie, on 10 December 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Yeah, he seemed to make it clear that, in his mind, rebuilding takes more than three years.  Mind you, he took over a team that had finished 7-9 three out of the four previous years so it's not like they were starting from scratch.  There are plenty of examples of quicker turn-arounds (e.g. Indy this year, Miami a few years ago, etc.).
It didn't take the Rams three years to get getter than the Bills.  They did it in one year.  And they started from 2-14.

It's just an excuse.  Show me the baby.

#11 Mopreme

Mopreme

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

The Gailey/Nix team is a losing team.  They have done nothing but set this team further back from being a playoff contender.

#12 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

View Postvincec, on 10 December 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

It didn't take the Rams three years to get getter than the Bills.  They did it in one year.  And they started from 2-14.

It's just an excuse.  Show me the baby.

The team we lost to yesterday is not closer than the Bills.

#13 paupmvp1995

paupmvp1995

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostDrDareustein, on 10 December 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Right, because Chan technically has another year on his contract, and because the Bills cannot upgrade the position thanks to Ralph. But if there was a better option available and willing to come here, I'd bet Buddy talks to them. That being said, the better options aint comin. They already denied interviews 3 years ago, and the owner situation has only gotten worse.

There will be NO coaching changes/upgrades until Ralph is gone and the franchise situation stabilizes. It's a fact that us fans just have to live with.
That is such a short sited simplistic view.  If the Bills lose there last 3 in dreadful fashion, which is pretty likely.  (no way we are moving the ball on the Seahawks, Dolphins or Jets)  What else can Ralph do?  He HAS to get rid of Chan.  I think Brandon and the other cronies in the front office will demand it.  Believe it or not, this is still a business, that is geared towards making a profit.  Noone will be buying tickets for a team coming off of a run of 4-12, 6-10 and 5-11 seasons.  It just isn't happening.  Sure Ralph is out of it at his age.  But he does have advisors.  And I strongly think they will force Buddy to fire Chan.  (but I think Buddy will fire Chan on his own if the team completely tanks)  And I also think there would be a strong possibility that Buddy will "retire" as well.  There is no way Chan is back, unless the team completely turns it around in the next three games.  (And that isn't happening, because we have one of the easiest offenses to defend in the league)  At best we will score two TD's in any of our last 3 games.

#14 Graybeard

Graybeard

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postpaupmvp1995, on 10 December 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

That is such a short sited simplistic view.  If the Bills lose there last 3 in dreadful fashion, which is pretty likely.  (no way we are moving the ball on the Seahawks, Dolphins or Jets)  What else can Ralph do?  He HAS to get rid of Chan.  I think Brandon and the other cronies in the front office will demand it.  Believe it or not, this is still a business, that is geared towards making a profit.  Noone will be buying tickets for a team coming off of a run of 4-12, 6-10 and 5-11 seasons.  It just isn't happening.  Sure Ralph is out of it at his age.  But he does have advisors.  And I strongly think they will force Buddy to fire Chan.  (but I think Buddy will fire Chan on his own if the team completely tanks)  And I also think there would be a strong possibility that Buddy will "retire" as well.  There is no way Chan is back, unless the team completely turns it around in the next three games.  (And that isn't happening, because we have one of the easiest offenses to defend in the league)  At best we will score two TD's in any of our last 3 games.
As dismal as this sounds, I think it seems like the most realistic and optimistic view of future that I have read on this forum.

#15 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,509 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Buddy's "honesty"?  Like when he was getting 15 calls for the HC job, a day, or when he said he wasn't going to trade Lynch?  Or this past January, when he said about drafting a QB in 2012:  "If there's one at the right time, yeah we'd take one"--despite passing completely on the deepest QB draft in many years?

#16 vincec

vincec

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

View PostTheTruthHurts, on 10 December 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

The team we lost to yesterday is not closer than the Bills.
They beat the Bills yesterday, on the road.  They have a head coach with a strong track record of success.  They have a strong owner.  They have a franchise QB candidate.  STL will be in the playoffs next season (if not this season).  The Bills?  Not likely.

#17 BrooklynBills

BrooklynBills

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostDrDareustein, on 10 December 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Right, because Chan technically has another year on his contract, and because the Bills cannot upgrade the position thanks to Ralph. But if there was a better option available and willing to come here, I'd bet Buddy talks to them. That being said, the better options aint comin. They already denied interviews 3 years ago, and the owner situation has only gotten worse.

There will be NO coaching changes/upgrades until Ralph is gone and the franchise situation stabilizes. It's a fact that us fans just have to live with.

View Postpaupmvp1995, on 10 December 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

That is such a short sited simplistic view.  If the Bills lose there last 3 in dreadful fashion, which is pretty likely.  (no way we are moving the ball on the Seahawks, Dolphins or Jets)  What else can Ralph do?  He HAS to get rid of Chan.  I think Brandon and the other cronies in the front office will demand it.  Believe it or not, this is still a business, that is geared towards making a profit.  Noone will be buying tickets for a team coming off of a run of 4-12, 6-10 and 5-11 seasons.  It just isn't happening.  Sure Ralph is out of it at his age.  But he does have advisors.  And I strongly think they will force Buddy to fire Chan.  (but I think Buddy will fire Chan on his own if the team completely tanks)  And I also think there would be a strong possibility that Buddy will "retire" as well.  There is no way Chan is back, unless the team completely turns it around in the next three games.  (And that isn't happening, because we have one of the easiest offenses to defend in the league)  At best we will score two TD's in any of our last 3 games.

I think its pretty simple.  If we win the last 3 or go 2-1, I think there is no question that Chan comes back.  If we go 1-2 or lose the last 3, I think Chan will be fired.  I think its pretty clear that Buddy doesn't WANT to fire Gailey.  But if the team really crumbles in the end of the season here, Buddy will HAVE to fire him.  I think Gailey is dangerously close to losing the team here.  There are some serious questions about how he is running the team that have to be being discussed within the locker room.  Also, I think the Gailey/Nix connection is alot looser than most people think.  These guys have no prior connection and it is well known that Gailey was not Nix's top choice for the job.

Secondly, yes, Mike Shanahan turned them down.  As did Jim Harbaugh.  And Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer did decline the interview.  I cannot speak to the Grimm situation but Harbaugh wanted to stay on the West Coast and Schotty was coming off two straight trips to AFC championship game.  I believe that Shanahan was concerned about there not being a strong personnel man here (can't blame him).  Both Leslie Frazier and Perry Fewell did interview.  Leslie Frazier was a very sought after HC candidate and Fewell is an up and coming assistant who will be getting plenty of interviews this offseason and will probably get a HC job at some point.  Brian Billick openly campaigned for the job as well.  To say that no one wanted the job is a bit of a stretch.  

We could have (and should have) hired Frazier.  This was a year before he took the Vikings job.  He was the clear front runner to be the head coach but the rumor was that Ralph wanted an offensive mind after the big guys like Cowher and Shanahan turned him down.  

To say no one wants the job is a bit of a stretch.  No one wanted the job 3 years ago because the front office was in such disarray it was astonishing.  Russ Brandon was the GM the previous year.  They were talking to coaches before hiring a GM.  It was a mess.  Believe it or not there is alot more stability now.  The ownership/impending relocation is an issue, but not one that would preclude a prospective HC candidate from accepting the job.  There were many more factors involved than that.

#18 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

View Postjjmac, on 10 December 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

that Chan Gailey wil be our coach next year, and Fitz will be our QB; unless, of course, RW fires him.

View Postjjmac, on 10 December 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

That's not what he said the last interview I read.  He said that Gailey had at least next year.

I don't know why you would take anything Nix says literally. He can be very honest at times and other times, he's playing poker, just like any other NFL GM.

View PostBrooklynBills, on 10 December 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

I think its pretty simple.  If we win the last 3 or go 2-1, I think there is no question that Chan comes back.  If we go 1-2 or lose the last 3, I think Chan will be fired.  I think its pretty clear that Buddy doesn't WANT to fire Gailey.  But if the team really crumbles in the end of the season here, Buddy will HAVE to fire him.  I think Gailey is dangerously close to losing the team here.  There are some serious questions about how he is running the team that have to be being discussed within the locker room.  Also, I think the Gailey/Nix connection is alot looser than most people think.  These guys have no prior connection and it is well known that Gailey was not Nix's top choice for the job.

Secondly, yes, Mike Shanahan turned them down.  As did Jim Harbaugh.  And Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer did decline the interview.  I cannot speak to the Grimm situation but Harbaugh wanted to stay on the West Coast and Schotty was coming off two straight trips to AFC championship game.  I believe that Shanahan was concerned about there not being a strong personnel man here (can't blame him).  Both Leslie Frazier and Perry Fewell did interview.  Leslie Frazier was a very sought after HC candidate and Fewell is an up and coming assistant who will be getting plenty of interviews this offseason and will probably get a HC job at some point.  Brian Billick openly campaigned for the job as well.  To say that no one wanted the job is a bit of a stretch.  

We could have (and should have) hired Frazier.  This was a year before he took the Vikings job.  He was the clear front runner to be the head coach but the rumor was that Ralph wanted an offensive mind after the big guys like Cowher and Shanahan turned him down.  

To say no one wants the job is a bit of a stretch.  No one wanted the job 3 years ago because the front office was in such disarray it was astonishing.  Russ Brandon was the GM the previous year.  They were talking to coaches before hiring a GM.  It was a mess.  Believe it or not there is alot more stability now.  The ownership/impending relocation is an issue, but not one that would preclude a prospective HC candidate from accepting the job.  There were many more factors involved than that.

Good, solid take.

The Bills job is not a highly-coveted one but there's good talent on the roster and there are good coaches out there who would be interested in the job.

#19 ganesh

ganesh

    You can do things on a football field that are severely illegal

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Postvincec, on 10 December 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

It didn't take the Rams three years to get getter than the Bills.  They did it in one year.  And they started from 2-14.

It's just an excuse.  Show me the baby.
That is because they invested in a good HC in Jeff Fisher..Not a retread like Gailey who couldn't even win in College.

#20 Sisyphean Bills

Sisyphean Bills

    Trusst Brandon

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,271 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

View Postganesh, on 10 December 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

That is because they invested in a good HC in Jeff Fisher..Not a retread like Gailey who couldn't even win in College.

Well, Gailey won in college.  Giff Smith even helped deliver some great recruiting classes.  Gailey just couldn't beat the good college teams and stuck with a QB that choked in crunch time.