Jump to content


[closed]Next Bills HC should be .....


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#1 merlin

merlin

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Bruce Arians .

Living here in the Indianapolis area, I've been very impressed with the job he's done in the roles of both HC and OC since Chuck Pagano's illness.   He definitely has his team "playing to win", rather than "playing not to lose".   Yesterday's close game with the Titans is a good example.   Less than 2 minutes to play, Titans out of time-outs, Colts ball on their own 25 yard line, up by 4,  2nd and 8, and he has his rookie qb throw a 12-yard strike to his rookie TE over the middle ...(which looked to be into tight coverage!)   Luck got the completion, and the Colts did the "victory formation" to win the game.

MOST coaches probably would have played it safe at that point - run as much time off the clock as possible, punt it, and hope the defense could prevent a last-second touchdown.   But Arians showed confidence in his offense, and it paid off.   They've won 8 out of 10 since Arians took over for Pagano, and almost every win has been close, "gutty" football, requiring key calls in key situations, good clock management at "crunch time", and a willingness to take some risks - everything the Bills currently lack.

Colts expect Pagano to be back on the sideline by the last game of the season, (and hopefully into the playoffs).   I don't know that Arians would consider taking a HC job somewhere else next year if it were offered - but he's at least the TYPE of coach I'd hope the Bills would go after if they get the chance.

GO BILLS!

#2 xsoldier54

xsoldier54

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Wouldn't mind this at all.  It's time we had a coach with some balls.

#3 Maddog69

Maddog69

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I've had this exact same thought.   I just don't think Arians would leave Indy at this point.   But we should have the conversation.
I would love to see them take  a shot at Chip Kelly or David Shaw from the college ranks.  Or maybe even Dabo Sweeney from Clemson.

#4 ALF

ALF

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

ESPN.com: NFL Nation Posted Image

Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Focused Arians hopes for head-coach shot


By Paul Kuharsky

Bruce Arians is 60 and NFL teams are not looking for 60-year-olds as their new head coaches.

But he’s something else, too -- a guy who’s good with young quarterbacks who’s done great work this season with Andrew Luck.

And teams will be looking for a guy like that.



Posted ImageArians
Will the Colts' offensive coordinator and interim head coach, who's filling in for Chuck Pagano, be in line for a head-coaching job when the season ends? Does he want to be?

“You always do,” he told Tennessee reporters on a conference call today. “I mean, if you’re coaching, that’s one of your goals. As long as you in are in the business. When I was a young assistant in college, I wanted to be a head coach in college. And every since I’ve been in the NFL I’d love to have had a chance.

“This might be my only chance and I’ve really had a great time with it. But I can’t wait for Chuck to get healthy and to get back."

Would Arians expect a team looking for a quarterback-developing head coach to call him? Has he earned that?

"Well I don’t know," he said. "That’s up to the owners and the general managers at this point to decide what they are looking for. I’m not going to hold my breath at my age and where I am at in my career. I’d love to have the opportunity to talk to one, but if it doesn’t happen, I’m cool with it.”

I understand wanting young and I do think younger coaches tend to connect with and relate to NFL players better.

But Arians has connected with these Colts fantastically well. He’s groomed Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Luck in their early NFL days. He's connected to a great coaching network so he should be able to hire a good staff. Those things should get him on the lists of owners and GMs who will be in the market.

“We need to capture this moment we have while we have it,” Reggie Wayne said. “He’s done a great job. He’s kept the team together, which is not easy. It could have been an easy excuse for us to fail, we lost our head coach, now everything will go south. ...

“He’s earned himself [a look] for a head-coaching job somewhere. Hopefully we can take advantage of him while we have him now and when that time comes, it comes.”
http://espn.go.com/b.../print?id=67898

#5 Jy Re

Jy Re

    Kick its ass, JK

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

... hired ASAP

#6 49er Fan

49er Fan

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Arians is a top candidate, also look at Mike McCoy from Denver

#7 BmoreBills

BmoreBills

    Team Kelly, United

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Andy Reid!!!!! Forget college coaches... if you get Andy Reid a quarterback worth a damn at least, we're good. He just didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach- the place he's in now is an absolute pit that is far worse off than Buffalo.

Flame me if you wish, but it is time to stop pussyfooting around and get a guy who has proven he can win and win and win.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/ReidAn0.htm

Edited by BmoreBills, 10 December 2012 - 02:19 PM.


#8 dwight in philly

dwight in philly

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

View Postindependent, on 10 December 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

ESPN.com: NFL Nation Posted Image

Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Focused Arians hopes for head-coach shot


By Paul Kuharsky

Bruce Arians is 60 and NFL teams are not looking for 60-year-olds as their new head coaches.

But he’s something else, too -- a guy who’s good with young quarterbacks who’s done great work this season with Andrew Luck.

And teams will be looking for a guy like that.



Posted ImageArians
Will the Colts' offensive coordinator and interim head coach, who's filling in for Chuck Pagano, be in line for a head-coaching job when the season ends? Does he want to be?

“You always do,” he told Tennessee reporters on a conference call today. “I mean, if you’re coaching, that’s one of your goals. As long as you in are in the business. When I was a young assistant in college, I wanted to be a head coach in college. And every since I’ve been in the NFL I’d love to have had a chance.

“This might be my only chance and I’ve really had a great time with it. But I can’t wait for Chuck to get healthy and to get back."

Would Arians expect a team looking for a quarterback-developing head coach to call him? Has he earned that?

"Well I don’t know," he said. "That’s up to the owners and the general managers at this point to decide what they are looking for. I’m not going to hold my breath at my age and where I am at in my career. I’d love to have the opportunity to talk to one, but if it doesn’t happen, I’m cool with it.”

I understand wanting young and I do think younger coaches tend to connect with and relate to NFL players better.

But Arians has connected with these Colts fantastically well. He’s groomed Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Luck in their early NFL days. He's connected to a great coaching network so he should be able to hire a good staff. Those things should get him on the lists of owners and GMs who will be in the market.

“We need to capture this moment we have while we have it,” Reggie Wayne said. “He’s done a great job. He’s kept the team together, which is not easy. It could have been an easy excuse for us to fail, we lost our head coach, now everything will go south. ...

“He’s earned himself [a look] for a head-coaching job somewhere. Hopefully we can take advantage of him while we have him now and when that time comes, it comes.”
http://espn.go.com/b.../print?id=67898
same age as chan... same "good working with QB'S" rep.. as chan.. just a little leery...

#9 Maddog69

Maddog69

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostBmoreBills, on 10 December 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Andy Reid!!!!! Forget college coaches... if you get Andy Reid a quarterback worth a damn at least, we're good. He just didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach- the place he's in now is an absolute pit that is far worse off than Buffalo.

Flame me if you wish, but it is time to stop pussyfooting around and get a guy who has proven he can win and win and win.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/ReidAn0.htm
What has Reid done that is so impressive?    Without McNabb he's been terrible.    I would stay away from Reid and his drama.

#10 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

...but we don't need a Head Coach who's good with quarterbacks. We already have Dave Lee.

*Pshhhhh*

#11 BmoreBills

BmoreBills

    Team Kelly, United

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

.....

Edited by BmoreBills, 10 December 2012 - 02:25 PM.


#12 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,494 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Finally, a thread that provides an answer to their suggestion. Kudos. Not sure Arians is the guy for the job, but he's worth looking into.

#13 BmoreBills

BmoreBills

    Team Kelly, United

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostMaddog69, on 10 December 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

What has Reid done that is so impressive? Without McNabb he's been terrible. I would stay away from Reid and his drama.

With Vick and a disgusting offensive line he's been terrible, you mean. I think that is on the GM for not realizing Vick isn't a franchise QB... and what drama???? Is it any more dramatic than it has been with Gregg Williams? Mike Mularkey? Dick Jauron? Chan Gailey?!?!? NONE of those guys had a winning record with ANY QB except the Bledsoe blip year of 2004 at 9-7!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by BmoreBills, 10 December 2012 - 02:25 PM.


#14 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Arians may be a decent start, but saying he "groomed" Big Ben and P Manning is a bit of a stretch on the ol' resume....

#15 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Whaley should have big say in the next HC to be.

#16 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    BERSERKER

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

View Postmerlin, on 10 December 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Bruce Arians .

Living here in the Indianapolis area, I've been very impressed with the job he's done in the roles of both HC and OC since Chuck Pagano's illness.   He definitely has his team "playing to win", rather than "playing not to lose".   Yesterday's close game with the Titans is a good example.   Less than 2 minutes to play, Titans out of time-outs, Colts ball on their own 25 yard line, up by 4,  2nd and 8, and he has his rookie qb throw a 12-yard strike to his rookie TE over the middle ...(which looked to be into tight coverage!)   Luck got the completion, and the Colts did the "victory formation" to win the game.

MOST coaches probably would have played it safe at that point - run as much time off the clock as possible, punt it, and hope the defense could prevent a last-second touchdown.   But Arians showed confidence in his offense, and it paid off.   They've won 8 out of 10 since Arians took over for Pagano, and almost every win has been close, "gutty" football, requiring key calls in key situations, good clock management at "crunch time", and a willingness to take some risks - everything the Bills currently lack.

Colts expect Pagano to be back on the sideline by the last game of the season, (and hopefully into the playoffs).   I don't know that Arians would consider taking a HC job somewhere else next year if it were offered - but he's at least the TYPE of coach I'd hope the Bills would go after if they get the chance.

GO BILLS!

Simon is mad at you now ( :P )

He is having the best HC interview all season, hope he talks real well in front of Ralph.

#17 section122

section122

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

He was part of pti's 5 good minutes and they asked him about never being a hc.  He looked genuinely sad and had no answer for why teams never looked his way.  The light went on immediately and I thought I would love to see him here.  I wonder if Whaley and he had a good relationship.  He is a sb winning coordinator and one that Big Ben and now the Colts have had nothing but good things to say about.  After the play calling debacle this year I would be happier to see him on the sidelines than Chan next year.

#18 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,494 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostBuffalo Barbarian, on 10 December 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Simon is mad at you now ( :P )

He is having the best HC interview all season, hope he talks real well in front of Ralph.

Hopefully Ralph is no where near the interview room.

#19 Bufcomments

Bufcomments

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I was thinking this at the end of the Indy game. Chan was outcoached by an Intern HC.

I think Arians would be first on the list. Hopefully Buddy has one.

Edited by Bufcomments, 10 December 2012 - 02:35 PM.


#20 BillnutinHouston

BillnutinHouston

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostFixxxer, on 10 December 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Whaley should have big say in the next HC to be.

Anyone know if Arians' time in Pittsburgh coincided with Whaley's?  I'll have to check later when I have time.