Jump to content


Bills coach search update


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
240 replies to this topic

#1 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    TBD's franchise poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,819 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Per John Murphy:

Ken Whisenhunt interviewed.

Ray Horton to interview tonight.

Chip Kelly interviews Friday.

Mike McCoy over the weekend.


Per other sources:

Doug Marrone next week.

Lovie Smith supposedly contacted the Bills.  

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 02 January 2013 - 07:26 PM.


#2 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

    Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Come on Russ get chip Kelly take him deers hunting and fishing


#3 jcbillsfan

jcbillsfan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Chip scares me.   It's an all or nothing pick

Sounds like presser next Friday.

Edited by jcbillsfan, 02 January 2013 - 07:39 PM.


#4 Chris in Syracuse

Chris in Syracuse

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

I keep reading Lovie wants to coach the Bills.  Why have we not set up an interview?

#5 TallskiWallski83

TallskiWallski83

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

If you want to get the best Chip Kelly has to be target #1. There are tons of good coaches out there but there are only a few who qualify as "genius". Chip Kelly is an offensive innovator and was one step ahead of all other offenses at the college level. The NFL is trending towards the spread and its where the best talent will be in future years' drafts.

Hiring chip is bold and could lead to mega success. A no brainer IMO

Edited by TallskiWallski83, 02 January 2013 - 07:41 PM.


#6 SDS

SDS

    What price for a cobra's egg?

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostTallskiWallski83, on 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

A no brainer IMO

Finally something OBD excels at!

#7 Chris in Syracuse

Chris in Syracuse

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Chip Kelly reminds me of Steve Spurrier.  People speak of how he advised Bill Belicheat but when you have Tom Brady how much advise do you really need.

#8 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

What a difference a few years makes.  The big name has at least agreed to an interview!!

#9 kdiggz

kdiggz

    Mayor of Pegulaville

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Put your chips on chip hurrrrr

#10 Stenbar

Stenbar

    SuperGenious

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Its very rare when a "hot college" coach  duplicates his success in the NFL...Just sayin

#11 BillnutinHouston

BillnutinHouston

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Offer to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL and he's yours.

#12 SBUffalo

SBUffalo

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Please no Chip. Please yes Lovie.

#13 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    TBD's franchise poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,819 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostChris in Syracuse, on 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

I keep reading Lovie wants to coach the Bills.  Why have we not set up an interview?
Probably because they had the chance to knock off a couple of candidates with one trip to Phoenix, then a quick trip to Denver.  Lovie will probably meet next week.

PTR

#14 JPCinTULLY

JPCinTULLY

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostChris in Syracuse, on 02 January 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Chip Kelly reminds me of Steve Spurrier.  People speak of how he advised Bill Belicheat but when you have Tom Brady how much advise do you really need.
Tom wouldn't be Tom without Bill as Bill wouldn't be Bill without Tom the stars alighend for those two!

#15 ChanOverChin

ChanOverChin

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Chip Kelly is not the answer for the environment that the Bills,play in. The Bills need to go with a veteran NFL HC who can bring an experienced NFL staff with him.

Who is Kelly going to bring with him?? NFL neophytes, that's who.

Let's see NFL neophytes vs Belichick/Brady.

C'mon people.

#16 RealityCheck

RealityCheck

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Not to be a wise guy but what exactly is Chip Kelly doing scheme wise that hasn't already been done in the NFL?

#17 ChanOverChin

ChanOverChin

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm not impressed with that list at all.  Lovie Smith is the best NFL HC candidate by far on that list.

#18 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    TBD's franchise poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,819 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostChanOverChin, on 02 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

I'm not impressed with that list at all.  Lovie Smith is the best NFL HC candidate by far on that list.
So what is an impressive list to you?

PTR

#19 stony

stony

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostRealityCheck, on 02 January 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Not to be a wise guy but what exactly is Chip Kelly doing scheme wise that hasn't already been done in the NFL?

Good question, because not a lot strikes me off the bat. He's innovative and plays at a ridiculously high tempo which is a weapon in itself, but the whole "he's invented the wheel" thing going on is a bit much.

#20 KeisterHollow

KeisterHollow

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostTallskiWallski83, on 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

If you want to get the best Chip Kelly has to be target #1. There are tons of good coaches out there but there are only a few who qualify as "genius". Chip Kelly is an offensive innovator and was one step ahead of all other offenses at the college level. The NFL is trending towards the spread and its where the best talent will be in future years' drafts.

Hiring chip is bold and could lead to mega success. A no brainer IMO

I can't agree with you more! I've always had a real genius for reading people. I can identify character and he has what it takes to be successful. Very smart - and that is so much a necessity in our division. He reminds me of a Bellicheck, actually.
Just listen to a few interviews. He uses the right words to clearly and concisely communitcate, and he speaks very fast, which reflects how quickly he thinks. And he believes you have to build your offense around personnel! We need that FLEXIBILITY to be open to finding ways that work in defeating Bellicheck.

View PostChanOverChin, on 02 January 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Chip Kelly is not the answer for the environment that the Bills,play in. The Bills need to go with a veteran NFL HC who can bring an experienced NFL staff with him.

Who is Kelly going to bring with him?? NFL neophytes, that's who.

Let's see NFL neophytes vs Belichick/Brady.

C'mon people.

He's actually (Chip Kelly) of the opinion that you need to base your offense on your personnel.  And, just because they are a fast offense, doesn't mean it doesn't play good in the cold outdoors.  I love the idea of having a team that is OVERPREPARED, that has practiced MUCH harder than everyone else, and is putting the defense on its toes.  BTW - another thing Chip said, paraphrasing, is preparation is the key to success.  I've heard that mantra spoken before, but you see it working in places like Denver and N.E. - where dominant personalities push everyone else to be as committed.