Jump to content


Quarterbacks in the Draft


  • Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 Buffaloed in Pa

Buffaloed in Pa

    CLEAN PLAYER

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I`m still sticking with Glennon. Best arm,If he can be coached on not making throws off the wrong foot on those picks,he will be worth a mid 1st. Throws the best ball Tight and no balloon balls on deep throws.  Jones on the other hand is like Fitz dink and dunk ,no deep ball. Lots of air.

#22 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    GO BILLS

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostVABills, on 05 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Wilson is the best of the bunch.  And he will go in the first.  Before this season he got a new coach and OC.  He should have come out last year.  He's basically Josh Wilson in Seattle only bigger with a better arm.
I also enjoy beer.

#23 Erik

Erik

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Does anyone else think the QB needy teams at the top of the draft will go for the high-ranked players at the other positions first and then try to trade back into the 1st later in the round for the QB?

#24 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,306 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostRuntheDamnBall, on 05 January 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

I also enjoy beer.

:lol:

But seriously, without going overboard, I do think Wilson will see a steady rise leading up to the Draft...The kid just got boned by his douche of a HC (Petrino) and it cost him big-time in his Sr year...If he has good workouts, he'll rise up mostly because of the many questions with the other prospects in this Draft... B-)

#25 kobe808lak

kobe808lak

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Aaron Murray anybody?  I haven't seen him much but his stats are pretty sick.

#26 VABills

VABills

    Obama saving oil one pound of pressure at a time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,617 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostRuntheDamnBall, on 05 January 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

I also enjoy beer.

Bud and PBR are not really beer.  You should move up in the world.  :nana:

#27 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostVABills, on 05 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Wilson is the best of the bunch.  And he will go in the first.  Before this season he got a new coach and OC.  He should have come out last year.  He's basically Josh Wilson in Seattle only bigger with a better arm.

If I had to venture a guess at this very early stage I would guess that Tyler Wilson would be our qb selection in the draft. If Buddy is materially involved with the draft process he fits his mold of playing in the SEC and performing on a big stage. Wilson didn't perform as well as he could have due to injuries (concussions) and turnover in the coaching staff and turmoil in the program. From what I saw of him in his prior year he is better than what he showed this year. That is encouraging

I'm not a Bobby Petrino fan. He is a sleaseball. But Wilson's development was stunted because of his departure. I see Wilson as a prospect who is capable of playing sooner than some of the other very interesting qb prospects in this draft.

#28 bisonbrigade

bisonbrigade

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostJohnC, on 05 January 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

If I had to venture a guess at this very early stage I would guess that Tyler Wilson would be our qb selection in the draft. If Buddy is materially involved with the draft process he fits his mold of playing in the SEC and performing on a big stage. Wilson didn't perform as well as he could have due to injuries (concussions) and turnover in the coaching staff and turmoil in the program. From what I saw of him in his prior year he is better than what he showed this year. That is encouraging

I'm not a Bobby Petrino fan. He is a sleaseball. But Wilson's development was stunted because of his departure. I see Wilson as a prospect who is capable of playing sooner than some of the other very interesting qb prospects in this draft.
Right now Wilson would be my top choice, with Tyler Bray 2nd and Nassib 3rd.

Edited by bisonbrigade, 05 January 2013 - 11:55 AM.


#29 JM57

JM57

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

View Postbisonbrigade, on 05 January 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:


Right now Wilson would be my top choice, with Tyler Bray 2nd and Nassib 3rd.

Yes, Tyler Wilson is the best choice........










To join his fellow Bobby Petrino acolytes Brian Brohm, Hunter Cantwell and Stefan LeFors in the unemployment line after a very brief NFL career proves them to be nothing but a system QB

#30 T master

T master

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

View Postbisonbrigade, on 04 January 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

If you have been following the quarterbacks in this draft class you will notice a lot of stinkers. Here's the breakdown,

Currently Landry Jones is stinking up the Cotton Bowl. Pass on this one.
Geno Smith sucked the big one in the snow New Era Pinstripe bowl. Pass.
Mike Glennon 3 picks in a loss in the Music City Bowl. Pass.
Barkley out with an injury, a Sanchez clone. Pass.

There is only 3 I would even consider drafting and none in the first round.Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib. The Bills should take the Best Available player with the 8th pick in the draft. In the second round take one of the 3 QB's.

"

Although i say i agree entirely with the first part of your post I have a difference in the second part , not so much a difference but a lack of proof in what i have & have not seen .

Nassib i'm not real sure of , although he won his bowl game which i didn't see i saw some youtube stuff that didn't impress me much, On the other hand though i did see Taj Boyd & think he would be a perfect fit here in the Queen city !!

Edited by T master, 05 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.


#31 ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

None of these guys have that "IT" factor this year. Its funny even you guys can't seem to pic which one its been alot of "think" and "maybe" being put into those quotes. All that means is we shouldn't draft a QB in the first hell I say at all. If we can wait another year and get Manzel that would do it for me. I know he's the real deal and so does everybody else. Get a Vet and wait on him...

#32 You herd it hear last

You herd it hear last

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

View Postbisonbrigade, on 04 January 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

If you have been following the quarterbacks in this draft class you will notice a lot of stinkers. Here's the breakdown,

Currently Landry Jones is stinking up the Cotton Bowl. Pass on this one.
Geno Smith sucked the big one in the snow New Era Pinstripe bowl. Pass.
Mike Glennon 3 picks in a loss in the Music City Bowl. Pass.
Barkley out with an injury, a Sanchez clone. Pass.

There is only 3 I would even consider drafting and none in the first round.Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib. The Bills should take the Best Available player with the 8th pick in the draft. In the second round take one of the 3 QB's.

"

I get what you're saying, but you have to admit the ceiling on the ones you've excluded is higher (aside from the freakish arm strength of Bray)... imo, the team needs to stop thinking of the bust factor until we get a real QB and focus more on the potential.

If Geno can throw for 600/7 in a game once, who's to say he can't again? Who do you think would have a better chance to do that in the pros? Would you bet your money on Smith or Nassib?

#33 Fisher Bills

Fisher Bills

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I hope we can get a trade for Kirk cousins. I don't know why we passed on him last year

#34 ....lybob

....lybob

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I would like people to study this list of QBs - I think a lot of fans on this board are delusional, I've seen posts where people list 11 of this years QBs and think any one  of them will be better than Fitz, nonsense!!! while we all would like to upgrade from Fitz he is by no means the worse QB in the NFL. For the fans who think it will be easy to upgrade from Fitz the truth is 9-10 of this years QBs will be no more relevant in three years than Dave Ragone or Kliff Kingsbury. There are years that 3-4 quality QBs come out but there are also years where there is nada (2007) an average year is one starter better than Fitz and one  starter the same or worse than Fitz. This is a weak year for QBs Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weeden would be rated 1-4 if they were in this class, so I really hope that Nix doesn't let fan pressure force him to pick a QB just to pick a QB, if you really love a QB then move heaven and earth to get him ( Washington, Denver) but picking a QB to appease the fans is a loser move. Also picking a 4-5 round talent in the first round doesn't give the pick first round talent.



2003. Carson Palmer , Byron Leftwich,  Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, Chris Simms,     Seneca Wallace,  Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Brooks Bollinger, Kliff Kingsbury, Ken Dorsey

2004.      Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger,  J. P. Losman, Matt Schaub†, Luke McCown, Craig Krenzel, Andy Hall, Josh Harris, Jim Sorgi, Jeff Smoker, John Navarre, Cody Pickett, Casey Bramlet, Matt Mauck, B. J. Symons,  Bradlee Van Pelt

2005.  Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers,  Jason Campbell,  Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter,David Greene, Kyle Orton, Stefan LeFors, Dan Orlovsky, Adrian McPherson,     Derek Anderson,  James Kilian,      Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick

2006. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Charlie Whitehurst,  Brodie Croyle,  Brad Smith, Ingle Martin,  Omar Jacobs, Reggie McNeal, Bruce Gradkowski, D. J. Shockley,

2007. JaMarcus Russell,  Brady Quinn,      Kevin Kolb,  John Beck,      Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, Isaiah Stanback ,Jeff Rowe,  Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer,  Tyler Thigpen,

2008.      Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm,  Chad Henne,  Kevin O'Connell, John David Booty,      Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, Colt Brennan, Andre' Woodson, Matt Flynn,

2009.      Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Pat White,  Stephen McGee,     Rhett Bomar Nate Davis,  Tom Brandstater, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Curtis Painter,

2010. Sam Bradford,  Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton,  Rusty Smith,  Dan LeFevour,  Joe Webb,      Sean Canfield, Tony Pike, Zac Robinson

2011. Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton,  Colin Kaepernick,     Ryan Mallett, Ricky Stanzi,  T. J. Yates,      Nathan Enderle,  Tyrod Taylor,      Greg McElroy

2012.      Andrew Luck,      Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill,  Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, B. J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish

#35 swnybillsfan

swnybillsfan

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23, on 05 January 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

None of these guys have that "IT" factor this year. Its funny even you guys can't seem to pic which one its been alot of "think" and "maybe" being put into those quotes. All that means is we shouldn't draft a QB in the first hell I say at all. If we can wait another year and get Manzel that would do it for me. I know he's the real deal and so does everybody else. Get a Vet and wait on him...
i believe you have to roll the dice on someone at some point this year. especially if the best alternative is to get a guy off the street and throw him in there with the hopes of drafting in the top spot next year. take the guy you like the most and do the best you can with him.

#36 Dibs

Dibs

    Myth Buster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Post....lybob, on 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I would like people to study this list of QBs - I think a lot of fans on this board are delusional, I've seen posts where people list 11 of this years QBs and think any one  of them will be better than Fitz, nonsense!!! while we all would like to upgrade from Fitz he is by no means the worse QB in the NFL. For the fans who think it will be easy to upgrade from Fitz the truth is 9-10 of this years QBs will be no more relevant in three years than Dave Ragone or Kliff Kingsbury. There are years that 3-4 quality QBs come out but there are also years where there is nada (2007) an average year is one starter better than Fitz and one  starter the same or worse than Fitz. This is a weak year for QBs Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weeden would be rated 1-4 if they were in this class, so I really hope that Nix doesn't let fan pressure force him to pick a QB just to pick a QB, if you really love a QB then move heaven and earth to get him ( Washington, Denver) but picking a QB to appease the fans is a loser move. Also picking a 4-5 round talent in the first round doesn't give the pick first round talent.



2003. Carson Palmer , Byron Leftwich,  Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, Seneca Wallace,  Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Brooks Bollinger, Kliff Kingsbury, Ken Dorsey

2004.   Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger,  J. P. Losman, Matt Schaub†, Luke McCown, Craig Krenzel, Andy Hall, Josh Harris, Jim Sorgi, Jeff Smoker, John Navarre, Cody Pickett, Casey Bramlet, Matt Mauck, B. J. Symons,  Bradlee Van Pelt

2005.  Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers,  Jason Campbell,  Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter,David Greene, Kyle Orton, Stefan LeFors, Dan Orlovsky, Adrian McPherson, Derek Anderson,  James Kilian,   Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick

2006. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Charlie Whitehurst,  Brodie Croyle,  Brad Smith, Ingle Martin,  Omar Jacobs, Reggie McNeal, Bruce Gradkowski, D. J. Shockley,

2007. JaMarcus Russell,  Brady Quinn,   Kevin Kolb,  John Beck,   Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, Isaiah Stanback ,Jeff Rowe,  Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer,  Tyler Thigpen,

2008.   Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm,  Chad Henne,  Kevin O'Connell, John David Booty,   Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, Colt Brennan, Andre' Woodson, Matt Flynn,

2009.   Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Pat White,  Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar Nate Davis,  Tom Brandstater, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Curtis Painter,

2010. Sam Bradford,  Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton,  Rusty Smith,  Dan LeFevour,  Joe Webb,   Sean Canfield, Tony Pike, Zac Robinson

2011. Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton,  Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallett, Ricky Stanzi,  T. J. Yates,   Nathan Enderle,  Tyrod Taylor,   Greg McElroy

2012.   Andrew Luck,   Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill,  Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, B. J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish

Though I totally agree with you that the odds of landing with a top starter is low(though seems improved in recent years)....the objective is not simply to end up with a QB who is better than Fitz(regardless of if you ranked him 15th or 32nd).
The objective is to obtain a star QB.

If you look at the top QBs in the league you will find that a vast majority of them were drafted in the 1st round(& early 2nd).  We likely will be selecting a QB high in this years draft which means we are selecting a player who has the best chance to become a star....rather than one that has a tiny chance of doing so....or trading for one who has zero chance of doing so.

#37 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

View Post....lybob, on 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I would like people to study this list of QBs - I think a lot of fans on this board are delusional, I've seen posts where people list 11 of this years QBs and think any one  of them will be better than Fitz, nonsense!!! while we all would like to upgrade from Fitz he is by no means the worse QB in the NFL.

You are not asking the right question. Whether he is the worst qb in the league or not is not the issue. What is blatently obvious is that as a starter he is inadequate. With that type of mediocre qb you will never be able to seriously compete. From a competitive standpoint it makes little difference whether your qb is ranked 32, 28, 26, 24 etc. If a race driver is driving a car with four flat tires he stands no chance of winning. When a team is led by a qb who is inaccurate with limited arm strength it is not going anywhere that is meaningful.

#38 Ryan L Billz

Ryan L Billz

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

The qbs in the high school all star game have better arms than Fitz.        Fitzless 2013.   Let him go away plzzzzzz

#39 peterpan

peterpan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

The best two arnt even on your list.

Dyzert and Nassib

View PostRyan L Billz, on 05 January 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

The qbs in the high school all star game have better arms than Fitz. Fitzless 2013.   Let him go away plzzzzzz

Hahahahahaha I thought the same thing while watching.

Edited by peterpan, 05 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.


#40 jumbalaya

jumbalaya

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Landry looked slow, indecisive, not very accurate and horrible under pressure.  He appeared to take a lot of time when he should have been hurrying it up, looked like a slow thinker out there, if there is a term / condition for that.