Jump to content


Quarterbacks in the Draft


  • Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#41 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostJTO, on 05 January 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Aaron Murray looked really good.
Ditto that

#42 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I just started watching the videos on this year's QBs. As opposed to previous years I'll probably concentrate on this position for obvious reasons.

I've watched all the passing plays of Tyler Wilson's week 8 game against Ole Miss and week 12 game against LSU.

This kid is extremely talented and very tough. I like him a lot. I'd like to hear more about how many concussions he's had and when they occurred.

I like Tyler Wilson very much.

Based only on the Clemson-LSU game the other night, I love Tajh Boyd.

View Postjumbalaya, on 05 January 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Landry looked like a slow thinker out there, if there is a term / condition for that.

Let me think about that for a second.

#43 ....lybob

....lybob

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostJohnC, on 05 January 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

You are not asking the right question. Whether he is the worst qb in the league or not is not the issue. What is blatently obvious is that as a starter he is inadequate. With that type of mediocre qb you will never be able to seriously compete. From a competitive standpoint it makes little difference whether your qb is ranked 32, 28, 26, 24 etc. If a race driver is driving a car with four flat tires he stands no chance of winning. When a team is led by a qb who is inaccurate with limited arm strength it is not going anywhere that is meaningful.
True but needing, wanting, deserving a better QB doesn't make one appear- they are either there or not- some find girls beautiful at 3.30 am when alcohol and desperation take their effect but morning light proves them wrong.

#44 Hopeful

Hopeful

    clearing the swamp

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Postkobe808lak, on 05 January 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Aaron Murray anybody?  I haven't seen him much but his stats are pretty sick.

Off the subject a bit and meaning no offense, but could you possibly see your way to changing your avatar now?  At least put a red "no" sign over it?

#45 CSBill

CSBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

View Post8and8Forever, on 05 January 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

So did Taj Boyd against the closest thing to an NFL defense any college QB will see


Taj Boyd fits the mold of the QBs of the future: athletic, big arm, smart, and can beat you running or throwing. If not him, someone like him is what Bills need to go after.

View Post....lybob, on 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I would like people to study this list of QBs - I think a lot of fans on this board are delusional, I've seen posts where people list 11 of this years QBs and think any one  of them will be better than Fitz, nonsense!!! while we all would like to upgrade from Fitz he is by no means the worse QB in the NFL. For the fans who think it will be easy to upgrade from Fitz the truth is 9-10 of this years QBs will be no more relevant in three years than Dave Ragone or Kliff Kingsbury. There are years that 3-4 quality QBs come out but there are also years where there is nada (2007) an average year is one starter better than Fitz and one  starter the same or worse than Fitz. This is a weak year for QBs Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weeden would be rated 1-4 if they were in this class, so I really hope that Nix doesn't let fan pressure force him to pick a QB just to pick a QB, if you really love a QB then move heaven and earth to get him ( Washington, Denver) but picking a QB to appease the fans is a loser move. Also picking a 4-5 round talent in the first round doesn't give the pick first round talent.



2003. Carson Palmer , Byron Leftwich,  Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, Seneca Wallace,  Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Brooks Bollinger, Kliff Kingsbury, Ken Dorsey

2004.   Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger,  J. P. Losman, Matt Schaub†, Luke McCown, Craig Krenzel, Andy Hall, Josh Harris, Jim Sorgi, Jeff Smoker, John Navarre, Cody Pickett, Casey Bramlet, Matt Mauck, B. J. Symons,  Bradlee Van Pelt

2005.  Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers,  Jason Campbell,  Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter,David Greene, Kyle Orton, Stefan LeFors, Dan Orlovsky, Adrian McPherson, Derek Anderson,  James Kilian,   Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick

2006. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Charlie Whitehurst,  Brodie Croyle,  Brad Smith, Ingle Martin,  Omar Jacobs, Reggie McNeal, Bruce Gradkowski, D. J. Shockley,

2007. JaMarcus Russell,  Brady Quinn,   Kevin Kolb,  John Beck,   Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, Isaiah Stanback ,Jeff Rowe,  Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer,  Tyler Thigpen,

2008.   Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm,  Chad Henne,  Kevin O'Connell, John David Booty,   Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, Colt Brennan, Andre' Woodson, Matt Flynn,

2009.   Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Pat White,  Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar Nate Davis,  Tom Brandstater, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Curtis Painter,

2010. Sam Bradford,  Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton,  Rusty Smith,  Dan LeFevour,  Joe Webb,   Sean Canfield, Tony Pike, Zac Robinson

2011. Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton,  Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallett, Ricky Stanzi,  T. J. Yates,   Nathan Enderle,  Tyrod Taylor,   Greg McElroy

2012.   Andrew Luck,   Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill,  Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, B. J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish

Reality Bites!

Please, just let us live in our fantasy football world where whomever we draft in the third round will become our BIlls savior . . . that is, until about the 3rd game he plays in.

Edited by CSBill, 05 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.


#46 Hopeful

Hopeful

    clearing the swamp

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostFisher Bills, on 05 January 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

I hope we can get a trade for Kirk cousins. I don't know why we passed on him last year

The Redskins drafted an "heir and a spare" last year for good reason.  An aggressive, runthreat QB such as RGIII is high risk of going out with a concussion on any play.
Cousins will not be available.

I think we intended to draft him, or Wilson, and were caught with our britches down when Wilson went in the 3rd and then Washington took Cousins 3 picks above us after giving so much for RGIII in the 1st

Hindsight is always 20-20 and it's not a player's fault where we drafted him.  This is one draft, though, where I find it hard to understand why we took TJ Graham when both Wilson and Cousins were still on the board.

#47 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I think the popular and growing belief that there are no good QBs in this draft is mostly bunk.

Yes there is no Luck or RGIII.

That said there are some very intriguing guys out there that some astute front office will identify and select and that will become excellent NFL QBs IMO.

For every true expert who holds this belief I feel that there are multiples of others who are simply parroting this opinion and others who are simply being defeatist Bills fans.

#48 Not Again

Not Again

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

<--------- This guy!

#49 Bullsfan

Bullsfan

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

while Johnny Manziel did look good last night I think it is premature to talk about who the Bills should draft. First things first. Lets hire a qualified head coach and see what type of offense he runs. Secondly there is another Sr. quarterback that no one is talking about that has played well all season and led his team to a major bowl game. I mean if you want to consider his 2012 season, completing 180-of- 272 passes for 2.490 yards for 15 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and rushing for 890 yards and 22 touchdowns en route to an 11-1 record. Why not Collin Klein? Just sayin.

#50 Rob's House

Rob's House

    I ain't no frickin monument to justice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

View Postbisonbrigade, on 05 January 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:


What I meant is that there is a history of USC QB;s Sanchez, Leinart, and Palmer that shows that it's the schools system that makes them look good and they are exposed when they leave.
Does the fact that Barkley played under a different coach from all the others mentioned change the equation at all, or does this USC system transcend the coaching staff?

#51 FutureBillsGM

FutureBillsGM

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I would spend a 7th round pick on Sean Renfree from Duke.  "They" had him rated as a late round prospect before he was hurt in the bowl game (pectoral muscle- out 6 months, no combine/workouts) and are now saying he will most likely go undrafted,  He has good size (6'4, 225) and can make all of the NFL throws.  He was very accurate (over 67% on the year) and his coach at Duke is a QB mentor and has said he has the same work ethic as Peyton and Eli.  I'm surprised he wasn't6 valued higher before the injury.

#52 Bronc24

Bronc24

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostBullsfan, on 05 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

while Johnny Manziel did look good last night I think it is premature to talk about who the Bills should draft. First things first. Lets hire a qualified head coach and see what type of offense he runs. Secondly there is another Sr. quarterback that no one is talking about that has played well all season and led his team to a major bowl game. I mean if you want to consider his 2012 season, completing 180-of- 272 passes for 2.490 yards for 15 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and rushing for 890 yards and 22 touchdowns en route to an 11-1 record. Why not Collin Klein? Just sayin.

Collin Klein will be an INT machine in the NFL.  What I want from a QB, besides the physical skills, are the intangibles.  Manziel showed tremendous fire last night...Jones showed nothing.

#53 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    Go Bills

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,769 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostVABills, on 05 January 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:



Bud and PBR are not really beer.  You should move up in the world.  :nana:
Yuck.

Josh wilson though? Seriously?

#54 Wings and Beer

Wings and Beer

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23, on 05 January 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

None of these guys have that "IT" factor this year. Its funny even you guys can't seem to pic which one its been alot of "think" and "maybe" being put into those quotes. All that means is we shouldn't draft a QB in the first hell I say at all. If we can wait another year and get Manzel that would do it for me. I know he's the real deal and so does everybody else. Get a Vet and wait on him...

Not knocking your idea at all, but I find it amusing/depressing that we said the exact same thing last year about Barkley.  'Since we can't get Luck or RG3, let's wait and hope we win the Barkley lottery next year.'. Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but wow, what a difference a year makes!

#55 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

View Post....lybob, on 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I would like people to study this list of QBs - I think a lot of fans on this board are delusional, I've seen posts where people list 11 of this years QBs and think any one  of them will be better than Fitz, nonsense!!! while we all would like to upgrade from Fitz he is by no means the worse QB in the NFL. For the fans who think it will be easy to upgrade from Fitz the truth is 9-10 of this years QBs will be no more relevant in three years than Dave Ragone or Kliff Kingsbury. There are years that 3-4 quality QBs come out but there are also years where there is nada (2007) an average year is one starter better than Fitz and one  starter the same or worse than Fitz. This is a weak year for QBs Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weeden would be rated 1-4 if they were in this class, so I really hope that Nix doesn't let fan pressure force him to pick a QB just to pick a QB, if you really love a QB then move heaven and earth to get him ( Washington, Denver) but picking a QB to appease the fans is a loser move. Also picking a 4-5 round talent in the first round doesn't give the pick first round talent.



2003. Carson Palmer , Byron Leftwich,  Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Dave Ragone, Chris Simms,     Seneca Wallace,  Brian St. Pierre, Drew Henson, Brooks Bollinger, Kliff Kingsbury, Ken Dorsey

2004.      Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger,  J. P. Losman, Matt Schaub†, Luke McCown, Craig Krenzel, Andy Hall, Josh Harris, Jim Sorgi, Jeff Smoker, John Navarre, Cody Pickett, Casey Bramlet, Matt Mauck, B. J. Symons,  Bradlee Van Pelt

2005.  Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers,  Jason Campbell,  Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter,David Greene, Kyle Orton, Stefan LeFors, Dan Orlovsky, Adrian McPherson,     Derek Anderson,  James Kilian,      Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick

2006. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Charlie Whitehurst,  Brodie Croyle,  Brad Smith, Ingle Martin,  Omar Jacobs, Reggie McNeal, Bruce Gradkowski, D. J. Shockley,

2007. JaMarcus Russell,  Brady Quinn,      Kevin Kolb,  John Beck,      Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, Isaiah Stanback ,Jeff Rowe,  Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer,  Tyler Thigpen,

2008.      Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Brian Brohm,  Chad Henne,  Kevin O'Connell, John David Booty,      Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, Colt Brennan, Andre' Woodson, Matt Flynn,

2009.      Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Pat White,  Stephen McGee,     Rhett Bomar Nate Davis,  Tom Brandstater, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Curtis Painter,

2010. Sam Bradford,  Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton,  Rusty Smith,  Dan LeFevour,  Joe Webb,      Sean Canfield, Tony Pike, Zac Robinson

2011. Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton,  Colin Kaepernick,     Ryan Mallett, Ricky Stanzi,  T. J. Yates,      Nathan Enderle,  Tyrod Taylor,      Greg McElroy

2012.      Andrew Luck,      Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill,  Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, B. J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish

Man ohhh man, 2007 was a bad year. Thanks for reminding me.

#56 Nitro

Nitro

    "Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. " Patton

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

This QB class reminds me of those in 2006 and 2007. Each had talent but big enough negatives to scuttle all of their careers. Get used to the fact that Nix waited too long to draft the QB the Bills needed.

View PostBullsfan, on 05 January 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

while Johnny Manziel did look good last night I think it is premature to talk about who the Bills should draft. First things first. Lets hire a qualified head coach and see what type of offense he runs. Secondly there is another Sr. quarterback that no one is talking about that has played well all season and led his team to a major bowl game. I mean if you want to consider his 2012 season, completing 180-of- 272 passes for 2.490 yards for 15 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and rushing for 890 yards and 22 touchdowns en route to an 11-1 record. Why not Collin Klein? Just sayin.
Collin Klein?  Really?  Even the game announcers said he will no be a pro QB. Good athlete and great kid.  Klein is a projected TE for the pro level.

#57 Dr. Trooth

Dr. Trooth

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think Landry Jones will turn out to one of the best, if not the best third string QBs in the NFL.

I think Colin Klein could become a good #3 or #4 WR in the NFL if he were to work hard and land on a team that has a top 5 QB.  


#58 VABills

VABills

    Obama saving oil one pound of pressure at a time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,617 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostDr. Trooth, on 05 January 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

I think Landry Jones will turn out to one of the best, if not the best third string QBs in the NFL.

I think Colin Klein could become a good #3 or #4 WR in the NFL if he were to work hard and land on a team that has a top 5 QB.  

Klein is Brad Smith

#59 ....lybob

....lybob

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostBringBackFergy, on 05 January 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Man ohhh man, 2007 was a bad year. Thanks for reminding me.
2003 and 2006 were not much better- 2004 and 2012 were really good years, - I hope people understand that I'm not against drafting a QB I'm against forcing a pick, I'm against "we really need a QB and Losman is the next best guy" type pick- again if the Bills after cold clinical scouting fall in love with a QB do what you have to do to get him but if none of the QBs really impress then stay the course with Fitz try to get  Dwayne Bowe,  Jared  Cook in FA and continue to Build the defense in the draft.

#60 billstolast

billstolast

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

View Post8and8Forever, on 05 January 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:


So did Taj Boyd against the closest thing to an NFL defense any college QB will see

I agree boyd has had 2 great years and he played with lsu guys hanging all over him I hope he comes out and we get him

Edited by billstolast, 05 January 2013 - 05:37 PM.