Jump to content


Matt Barkley - QB - USC

draft

  • Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#1 RogerNapalm

RogerNapalm

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

For those who want us to pick Matt Barkley with our #8 pick.

Have we learned nothing? I implore you, please divert your thinking by simply using history as a lesson.

Mark Sanchez - Suuuuuuucks
Matt Leinhart - Laugh out loud
Carson Palmer - Had a minute or two of success
Rob Johnson - This should be enough right here
John David Booty - Who?
Todd Marinovich - Yep
Rodney Peete - Was a wonderful back up for many years

Barkley is doomed and frankly hasn't shown much beyond what any of these other chumps have ever shown.

Does any more need to be said?

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?

#2 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

science has officially proven that USC qbs are busts. you heard it in the OP first guys, dont you forget it.

#3 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostRogerNapalm, on 10 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

For those who want us to pick Matt Barkley with our #8 pick.

Have we learned nothing? I implore you, please digress by simply using history as a lesson.

Mark Sanchez - Suuuuuuucks
Matt Leinhart - Laugh out loud
Carson Palmer - Had a minute or two of success
Rob Johnson - This should be enough right here
John David Booty - Who?
Todd Marinovich - Yep
Rodney Peete - Was a wonderful back up for many years

Barkley is doomed and frankly hasn't shown much beyond what any of these other chumps have ever shown.

Does any more need to be said?

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?
I would like nothing more than go wildly off topic using history as my guide.  But before I do I really must know, what do you think those words mean?

#4 Billsrhody

Billsrhody

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

The fact that you've heard of that many QBs from USC serves as a counterpoint. Find me a school that has put more QBs in the NFL in the past 15 years.

History means next to nothing in the case of Matt Barkley. Different coach, different system and different development over the past 2 years.

#5 RogerNapalm

RogerNapalm

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostJauronimo, on 10 January 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

I would like nothing more than go wildly off topic using history as my guide.  But before I do I really must know, what do you think those words mean?
I beg you to divert from your line of thinking  by looking at USC's history of QB/NFL success. Is that what you understood them to mean?

#6 GG

GG

    Exit 151

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostRogerNapalm, on 10 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?

Do your own homework Sue

#7 Chris in Syracuse

Chris in Syracuse

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I think in the right system he could be very successful.

#8 RogerNapalm

RogerNapalm

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostBillsrhody, on 10 January 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

The fact that you've heard of that many QBs from USC serves as a counterpoint. Find me a school that has put more QBs in the NFL in the past 15 years.

History means next to nothing in the case of Matt Barkley. Different coach, different system and different development over the past 2 years.

15 years of garbage.

View PostChris in Syracuse, on 10 January 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

I think in the right system he could be very successful.
I have a tough time seeing him being successful, but stranger things have happened.

#9 section122

section122

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostBillsrhody, on 10 January 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

History means next to nothing in the case of Matt Barkley. Different coach, different system and different development over the past 2 years.

I knew the op was going to be exactly what it was so I came fully prepared to post these exact thoughts.  

As for Barkley, he started as a true freshman which none of the other guys did.  He has more experience than all of the other guys you mentioned.  I think that is very important as well as that whole except for the school name nothing else ties any of those guys to each other thing.

#10 BmoreBills

BmoreBills

    Team Kelly, United

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostRogerNapalm, on 10 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

For those who want us to pick Matt Barkley with our #8 pick.

Have we learned nothing? I implore you, please digress by simply using history as a lesson.

Mark Sanchez - Suuuuuuucks
Matt Leinhart - Laugh out loud
Carson Palmer - Had a minute or two of success
Rob Johnson - This should be enough right here
John David Booty - Who?
Todd Marinovich - Yep
Rodney Peete - Was a wonderful back up for many years

Barkley is doomed and frankly hasn't shown much beyond what any of these other chumps have ever shown.

Does any more need to be said?

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?

Dude, you hit the nail on the head! Luckily, we're not going to draft him, so the point is moot ;)

#11 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postsection122, on 10 January 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:



I knew the op was going to be exactly what it was so I came fully prepared to post these exact thoughts.  

As for Barkley, he started as a true freshman which none of the other guys did.  He has more experience than all of the other guys you mentioned.  I think that is very important as well as that whole except for the school name nothing else ties any of those guys to each other thing.

i get the USC bias, and i dont love barkley personally - but ill give him some credit for not jumping ship on the sanctions too.

#12 BuffaloPride

BuffaloPride

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostChris in Syracuse, on 10 January 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

I think in the right system he could be very successful.
Not only that but Musberger says his girlfriend is hot!!!

#13 Heels20X6

Heels20X6

    This...is my raisin d'etre.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostRogerNapalm, on 10 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

For those who want us to pick Matt Barkley with our #8 pick.

Have we learned nothing? I implore you, please digress by simply using history as a lesson.

Mark Sanchez - Suuuuuuucks
Matt Leinhart - Laugh out loud
Carson Palmer - Had a minute or two of success
Rob Johnson - This should be enough right here
John David Booty - Who?
Todd Marinovich - Yep
Rodney Peete - Was a wonderful back up for many years

Barkley is doomed and frankly hasn't shown much beyond what any of these other chumps have ever shown.

Does any more need to be said?

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?

Carson was well on his way to being an elite QB.  Unfortunately, one blown out knee later, and he became a shell of his former self.  He's never been the same since that Steelers game.

View PostBuffaloPride, on 10 January 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Not only that but Musberger says his girlfriend is hot!!!

Wrong QB.  That's AJ McCarron's girl.  Who is hot.

Not to say Barkley doesn't have a smoking piece of ace of his arm either.

#14 section122

section122

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 10 January 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:



i get the USC bias, and i dont love barkley personally - but ill give him some credit for not jumping ship on the sanctions too.
I get the bias too I just don't agree with it at all.  I could see if it was the same coach, I could see if all of the others were 4 year starters.  This thought process has bothered me since people railed against orakpo bc he was from Texas and "Texas players are all lazy" bc mike Williams was.  

I give him a lot of credit for sticking through the sanction years as well and think the whole it's USC there talent is better than anyone else doesn't apply to him bc of this.  The line at USC was horrendous this year.

I personally think he will end up being the best of this years class but I don't know how good he will ultimately be.  Last year I think he outplayed Andrew luck throughout the season.  Time will tell.

#15 I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I have never understood this logic. Player X should be discounted because he went to school Y. I can't think of a position with more misses than QB. OK, you're right. The list is lackluster. But to discount MB because he went to USC seems short sighted. Tell me he has poor pocket presence, a weak arm, runs at glacial speed, is myopic, whatever, and I'm listening.

What schools HAVE produced HOF QBs on a consistent basis?

#16 Peter

Peter

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I would not take any QB with our 8th (whether from USC or any other university) in this year's draft.  Later in the first round or with our second pick, I would consider it.

#17 Rob's House

Rob's House

    I ain't no frickin monument to justice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,896 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

It doesn't matter b/c all Buffalo QBs suck. Name me one Buffalo QB who was good in this century.

#18 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostRogerNapalm, on 10 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

I beg you to divert from your line of thinking  by looking at USC's history of QB/NFL success. Is that what you understood them to mean?
I know thats what you meant, but digress is not the correct word.

#19 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postsection122, on 10 January 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:


I get the bias too I just don't agree with it at all.  I could see if it was the same coach, I could see if all of the others were 4 year starters.  This thought process has bothered me since people railed against orakpo bc he was from Texas and "Texas players are all lazy" bc mike Williams was.  

I give him a lot of credit for sticking through the sanction years as well and think the whole it's USC there talent is better than anyone else doesn't apply to him bc of this.  The line at USC was horrendous this year.

I personally think he will end up being the best of this years class but I don't know how good he will ultimately be.  Last year I think he outplayed Andrew luck throughout the season.  Time will tell.

there are some things that certain regions tend to produce, and that certain teams boosters promises may attract.... usc for instance selling hollywood probably gets particular character traits more heavily.... their boosters, even with a different staff probably help funnel similar guys, and handle them with some consistency even with different coaches.

that said, every player is an individual.

#20 SBUffalo

SBUffalo

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

None of those guys have been viewed the way Barkley has. Barkley is considered a very polished QB that started for a long time. He's only comparable to Carson Palmer. JDB was never expected to be much. Mark Sanchez started for a year.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft