Jump to content


Jadeveon Clowney - DE - University of South Carolina

draft

  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BlackBenny_*

Guest_BlackBenny_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I have been watching this sophomore DL from the USC Gamecocks.  He was the top rated recruit coming out of high school. They are saying he is the best DL prospect they have seen since Bruce Smith.  Bruce was one of the few guys who had it all.  He could bull rush you with his strength or he could blow around you with his speed.  That's why no one could block him one on one.  Clowney has the same attributes.  He's strong enough to bull rush and fast enough to fly around you.  Watching this kid is truely amazing.  He made highlight reel plays over and over.  Here's a good hit he had agains Michigan.
If Buffalo loses all of it's games and has the first pick in 2014 they better draft him. Unless he gets hurt he will most likely be the first player chosen in the 2014 draft.  :thumbsup:



#2 Dr. Trooth

Dr. Trooth

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

1st pick on 2014 is Johnny Football

#3 zevo

zevo

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Clowney is being touted as the best defensive prospect in a long long time....that hit he laid in the bowl game was down right nasty

View PostDr. Trooth, on 13 January 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

1st pick on 2014 is Johnny Football

I'm pretty sure he isn't eligible

Edited by zevo, 13 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.


#4 TakeYouToTasker

TakeYouToTasker

    The smartest man in the room.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

The odds of him developing into a very good to great professional are pretty strong, assuming a strong work ethic and good luck on the health and injury front.  The odds of him developing into arguably the greatest defensive end of all-time and posting 200+ sacks are terrible.

#5 gobillsinytown

gobillsinytown

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

From his highlight reel on youtube, he's definitely got a good first step, and knows how to take advantage of the pressure and blocking that his d linemates are bringing.  But, like most d line prospects, it will depend on how well he transitions to the next level, when the quality of o linemen he will be facing week in and week out will increase dramatically.



#6 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

closer to a Lawrence Taylor than a Bruce Smith...just different style.

And yes, if Manziel isn't in the next draft class, Clowney should go #1

#7 Guest_BlackBenny_*

Guest_BlackBenny_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostTakeYouToTasker, on 13 January 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

The odds of him developing into a very good to great professional are pretty strong, assuming a strong work ethic and good luck on the health and injury front.  The odds of him developing into arguably the greatest defensive end of all-time and posting 200+ sacks are terrible.

You are a master of the obvious.  Of course the odds are against him becoming the greatest defensive end of all time.. A lot of things can happen. I never said he was going to be the best DE of all time. Too many variables come into play from starting an NFL career, to it's end.  Just like Andrew Luck of Indy.  They said he was the BEST QB prospect since John Elway.  That doesn't GUARANTEE he will be better than Elway, it just means he has the potential to become that good.
To sum it up, a guy like Luck has the talent & potential, so there is pretty good chance he might turn out.  A guy like FItztrajic will NEVER be a good quarterback because he doesn't have the tools nor the talent. Fitz's chances of becoming a great quarterback are 0 to NONE!.

#8 Billshank Redemption

Billshank Redemption

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

he will give manziel a damn good run for his money definitely the favorite as of now though

#9 Johnny Hammersticks

Johnny Hammersticks

    You want a beer? How about some ether?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Postthebandit27, on 13 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

closer to a Lawrence Taylor than a Bruce Smith...just different style.

And yes, if Manziel isn't in the next draft class, Clowney should go #1

Manziel is a red-shirt freshman this year, therefore he will be a red-shirt sophmore next season.  I think he's eligible for the 2014 draft.  I any case, I think Clowney would be the no-brainer #1 pick.

Quote

A year as a "redshirt" player in college counts toward eligibility even though the player was not allowed to participate in games during that year. Therefore players who have completed their redshirt sophomore year can enter the NFL draft.

http://www.ehow.com/...lity-rules.html

#10 Rob's House

Rob's House

    I ain't no frickin monument to justice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Postgobillsinytown, on 13 January 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:


From his highlight reel on youtube, he's definitely got a good first step, and knows how to take advantage of the pressure and blocking that his d linemates are bringing.  But, like most d line prospects, it will depend on how well he transitions to the next level, when the quality of o linemen he will be facing week in and week out will increase dramatically.

I've heard this one before. Fool me once...

#11 aristocrat

aristocrat

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Aldon Smith, miller, watt are getting pretty good starts after that 200 sack record.  They have a long way to go obviously but this kid clowney looks like he could step in and start now.  Depends if he gets picked up on a good team as well.

#12 Rob's House

Rob's House

    I ain't no frickin monument to justice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Suppose for whatever reason Buffalo still needed a QB in 2014 (situation hasn't changed there) and we've got the choice between Clowney and Manzelli.  Who would say to take Clowney and get a QB later?

#13 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

    Go Bills!!!!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostRob, on 13 January 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I've heard this one before. Fool me once...
:lol:

#14 mannc

mannc

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostDr. Trooth, on 13 January 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

1st pick on 2014 is Johnny Football
Nope.  Marcus Mariotta.

#15 JM57

JM57

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Postgobillsinytown, on 13 January 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

From his highlight reel on youtube, he's definitely got a good first step, and knows how to take advantage of the pressure and blocking that his d linemates are bringing.  But, like most d line prospects, it will depend on how well he transitions to the next level, when the quality of o linemen he will be facing week in and week out will increase dramatically.


He's a freak of nature. The things he can do as a 6'6 player just defy logic. I have seen him with his body at absolutely ridiculous angles to better utilize leverage, I have seen him blow by tackles with his first step, I have seen him bullrush tackles right into the backfield, etc. His swim, rip and punch moves are all otherworldly. The odds of him being a very good pro...I would say are very good. As long as he doesn't lose that drive.

The fact he walked onto campus, started and was a top 3 DE in the SEC from day 1 BUT still came back for his sophomore season as a more complete player (vastly improved against the run IMO) is a good start. He's a once in a generation type player if I have ever seen one.

#16 BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

View Postmannc, on 13 January 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:


Nope.  Marcus Mariotta.

He's good, but mostly a product of Kelly's system at Oregon. I'd consider other options before Mariotta.

As for Clowney...he's an absolute beast. As long as he stays healthy, he'll be the consensus first draft pick of 2014.

#17 THE KIKO MONSTER

THE KIKO MONSTER

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Clowney eould have some big shoes to fill!

(I can't believe none of y'all beat me to it)

#18 CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostJM57, on 13 January 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

He's a freak of nature. The things he can do as a 6'6 player just defy logic. I have seen him with his body at absolutely ridiculous angles to better utilize leverage, I have seen him blow by tackles with his first step, I have seen him bullrush tackles right into the backfield, etc. His swim, rip and punch moves are all otherworldly. The odds of him being a very good pro...I would say are very good. As long as he doesn't lose that drive.

The fact he walked onto campus, started and was a top 3 DE in the SEC from day 1 BUT still came back for his sophomore season as a more complete player (vastly improved against the run IMO) is a good start. He's a once in a generation type player if I have ever seen one.
Exactly, Clowney has the talent and ability to break every record on the books for dlineman. He's THAT good.

if we have a shot at him or Manziel, its an easy choice, Clowney is the pick hands down.

#19 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    Kyle Williams 95

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostBlackBenny, on 13 January 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

I have been watching this sophomore DL from the USC Gamecocks.  He was the top rated recruit coming out of high school. They are saying he is the best DL prospect they have seen since Bruce Smith.  Bruce was one of the few guys who had it all.  He could bull rush you with his strength or he could blow around you with his speed.  That's why no one could block him one on one.  Clowney has the same attributes.  He's strong enough to bull rush and fast enough to fly around you.  Watching this kid is truely amazing.  He made highlight reel plays over and over.  Here's a good hit he had agains Michigan.
If Buffalo loses all of it's games and has the first pick in 2014 they better draft him. Unless he gets hurt he will most likely be the first player chosen in the 2014 draft.  :thumbsup:



we have never lost all of our games and quit talking like we will. We finally have a head coach with  clue how to coach and a DC who I think could end up being the best in the Biz.

Also if we do lose out we better get friggin Johny Manziel after we bribe an agent to make illegal gifts to him and he is forced to come out.

and he is eligible in 2014;

"How quickly Manziel realizes that potential largely will depend on him. The soonest he can be eligible for the draft is the spring of 2014, after his sophomore season, when he will have been out of high school for three years — the minimum allowed under NFL rules."

http://www.dallasnew...t-a-problem.ece

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian, 13 January 2013 - 11:46 PM.


#20 TakeYouToTasker

TakeYouToTasker

    The smartest man in the room.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostBlackBenny, on 13 January 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:



You are a master of the obvious.  Of course the odds are against him becoming the greatest defensive end of all time.. A lot of things can happen. I never said he was going to be the best DE of all time. Too many variables come into play from starting an NFL career, to it's end.  Just like Andrew Luck of Indy.  They said he was the BEST QB prospect since John Elway.  That doesn't GUARANTEE he will be better than Elway, it just means he has the potential to become that good.
To sum it up, a guy like Luck has the talent & potential, so there is pretty good chance he might turn out.  A guy like FItztrajic will NEVER be a good quarterback because he doesn't have the tools nor the talent. Fitz's chances of becoming a great quarterback are 0 to NONE!.
No.  You said he could be "The Next Bruce Smith".  Own your words.

I may have mastered the obvious, but you're far from such simple mastery yourself, apparently.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft