Jump to content


Hard to believe Marcell Dareus is only 22


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Buffalo Mike1

Buffalo Mike1

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

http://www.buffaloru...ts-under-age-25

#2 Nanker

Nanker

    Blls Nation Unite!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Well, he did only go to kallage for only three years. He was a starter all three though.

#3 covac23

covac23

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

That is why I never jumped on the "Why is Marcell underperforming this year?" train.  He's really still a kid in a grown man's body who I think, hard a time dealing with his brother's untimely murder.

But what's really disappointing is when you type "Marcell Dareus" in Google, the third result is "bust."  The fact that some are putting Marcell in the same category as Aaron Maybin as a "Bust" isn't right.  

GO BILLS!!!

#4 Joe_the_6_pack

Joe_the_6_pack

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postcovac23, on 03 February 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

That is why I never jumped on the "Why is Marcell underperforming this year?" train.  He's really still a kid in a grown man's body who I think, hard a time dealing with his brother's untimely murder.

But what's really disappointing is when you type "Marcell Dareus" in Google, the third result is "bust."  The fact that some are putting Marcell in the same category as Aaron Maybin as a "Bust" isn't right.  

GO BILLS!!!
In one way he could be worse since he was drafted a full 8 spots ahead of maybin.

#5 Doc

Doc

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,625 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

That's interesting because the NFL website has his birthday as 11/18/89.  You'd think they'd know.

#6 covac23

covac23

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostJoe_the_6_pack, on 03 February 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

In one way he could be worse since he was drafted a full 8 spots ahead of maybin.

IMO, the two are incomparable considering Marcell has been productive in professional football, unlike Maybin.

#7 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostJoe_the_6_pack, on 03 February 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

In one way he could be worse since he was drafted a full 8 spots ahead of maybin.

True...

There are similarities in that the Bills passed on some very, very good players to Draft Maybin...But the list of talent they passed on to Draft Marcell is scary...And I'm not even saying that Dareus was not the right pick for The Bills at the time...But good grief...Green, Peterson, Jones, Watt, and Smith!!! Oh man... :cry:

I have not given up on the kid either...Not by a long-shot...I'm hoping the first thing Pettine told him was that he needs to drop 25 lbs by Camp...I think with some proper guidance and Coaching Marcell could be very good...But the clock is ticking...And he darn well better improve REAL fast if he expects to be in the conversation with the massive amount of talent that came out of his Draft class... B-)

#8 Joe_the_6_pack

Joe_the_6_pack

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

I was quite vocal on this board about wanting green or peterson ahead of him. Green is a no brainer now (I bet 32 of 32 teams would rather have him) and I bet a majority would rather have Peterson too. Marcel just lacks a burst, leverage and a certain dynamism to ever be in a ngata or wilfork category. Which is what I want out of a #3 overall 330+ DT.

#9 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostJoe_the_6_pack, on 04 February 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

I was quite vocal on this board about wanting green or peterson ahead of him. Green is a no brainer now (I bet 32 of 32 teams would rather have him) and I bet a majority would rather have Peterson too. Marcel just lacks a burst, leverage and a certain dynamism to ever be in a ngata or wilfork category. Which is what I want out of a #3 overall 330+ DT.

I remember that Joe! It's funny because a lot of folks thought Marcell was a BPA pick...But some, like you, felt that Green was clearly the BPA...I absolutely remember reading that right here in the days leading up to the Draft...Others felt Peterson was...It was no where near clear cut that Dareus was the best player on the board at #3...

And yes Green is a beast...But you know what? So is Julio Jones...I think 32 out of 32 would take either of them over Marcell...It's a hard pill to swallow...It's not like you can just point to one guy and say we missed...It's the whole lot of them...Special, special, talent...All-Pro talent...Defensive Player Of The Year talent... :doh:

Oh well... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS, 04 February 2013 - 02:13 AM.


#10 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    BERSERKER

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostJoe_the_6_pack, on 04 February 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

I was quite vocal on this board about wanting green or peterson ahead of him. Green is a no brainer now (I bet 32 of 32 teams would rather have him) and I bet a majority would rather have Peterson too. Marcel just lacks a burst, leverage and a certain dynamism to ever be in a ngata or wilfork category. Which is what I want out of a #3 overall 330+ DT.

I'd rather have Watt but give the kid a chance, and this will be his third defense in 3 yrs so don't be surprised if we start out slow again.

#11 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostBuffalo Barbarian, on 04 February 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

I'd rather have Watt but give the kid a chance, and this will be his third defense in 3 yrs so don't be surprised if we start out slow again.

I'm sure most Bills fans are more than willing to have patience with Dareus...But he's a DT...It's not rocket-science...I don't think scheme is what has held, or what will hold, Dareus back... B-)

#12 Dragonborn10

Dragonborn10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostJoe_the_6_pack, on 04 February 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

I was quite vocal on this board about wanting green or peterson ahead of him. Green is a no brainer now (I bet 32 of 32 teams would rather have him) and I bet a majority would rather have Peterson too. Marcel just lacks a burst, leverage and a certain dynamism to ever be in a ngata or wilfork category. Which is what I want out of a #3 overall 330+ DT.
How long did it take Wilfork to become dominant?  Ngata is playing with a HOF MLB behind him and superstars to the right and left.  Maybe you should give Dareus a little more time.

View PostKOKBILLS, on 04 February 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

I'm sure most Bills fans are more than willing to have patience with Dareus...But he's a DT...It's not rocket-science...I don't think scheme is what has held, or what will hold, Dareus back... B-)
Wrong thinkning.  DT is one of the most difficult positions to excel at early into an NFL career.  WR being probably the most difficult.  DT's can take years to develop.  Is this physical or mental?  I don't know.  I beleive there is a lot more technique with regard to using hands for leverage, angles, and ability to read run/pass.  I think you are simplifying the position too much.  However it could be just  physical.  Maybe these guys simply need to continue to mature (or get juiced the NFL way) to handle the pounding of a NFL 16 game schedule playing against NFL quality lineman.
So again I say - give him time.

#13 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    BERSERKER

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostDadonkadonk, on 04 February 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Wrong thinkning.  DT is one of the most difficult positions to excel at early into an NFL career.  WR being probably the most difficult.  DT's can take years to develop.  Is this physical or mental?  I don't know.  I beleive there is a lot more technique with regard to using hands for leverage, angles, and ability to read run/pass.  I think you are simplifying the position too much.

That's what I think as well but feel that QB is the hardest position to master because you have know everything and there is so much more pressure on them to do well than every other position.

#14 Jim in Anchorage

Jim in Anchorage

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostDadonkadonk, on 04 February 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

How long did it take Wilfork to become dominant?  Ngata is playing with a HOF MLB behind him and superstars to the right and left.  Maybe you should give Dareus a little more time.


Wrong thinkning.  DT is one of the most difficult positions to excel at early into an NFL career.  WR being probably the most difficult.  DT's can take years to develop.  Is this physical or mental?  I don't know.  I beleive there is a lot more technique with regard to using hands for leverage, angles, and ability to read run/pass.  I think you are simplifying the position too much.  However it could be just  physical.  Maybe these guys simply need to continue to mature (or get juiced the NFL way) to handle the pounding of a NFL 16 game schedule playing against NFL quality lineman.
So again I say - give him time.
So DE is easy?

#15 Dragonborn10

Dragonborn10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostBuffalo Barbarian, on 04 February 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

That's what I think as well but feel that QB is the hardest position to master because you have know everything and there is so much more pressure on them to do well than every other position.
How many QB's aren't good for a few years and then suddenly are great?  Not many.  Flacco may be the best argument for that kind of career trajectory though he was never bad early on.  Fortunately or unfortunately with QB it looks like they either get it or they don't early in their career.  The good of that is you can give up on a guy after 16-32 starts.  There is enough film to know at that point that he is not going to make it.  We know now Fitz is awful but NIx decided to pull the trigger on a new deal(negotiating against himself again) after too small of a sample size.  Sanchez is done in New York.  He will get another year due to his contract but I doubt he starts by week 8.  If we draft a guy in round one or two this year they don't have to wait around until 2018 to know if he is the next great one.

View PostJim in Anchorage, on 04 February 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

So DE is easy?
No position is easy but I would argue DE is easier to make an impact early.  Most of the obstacles they face are in front of them - ie an offensive tackle and maybe a RB to chip them.  Now your point will be more interesting in the next couple of years as the read option becomes more commonly used.  As you know the read by the QB is on the DE.  The DE will be faced with more choices against this type of play.  Going against a more traditional offense they are either running at or away from you or you are rushing the passer.

#16 Hater

Hater

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

View Postcovac23, on 03 February 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

That is why I never jumped on the "Why is Marcell underperforming this year?" train. He's really still a kid in a grown man's body who I think, hard a time dealing with his brother's untimely murder.

But what's really disappointing is when you type "Marcell Dareus" in Google, the third result is "bust." The fact that some are putting Marcell in the same category as Aaron Maybin as a "Bust" isn't right.

GO BILLS!!!

That's Right He is still a kid, He has Only Played 2 Season, what do people think, he's going have 30 sacks or was that Mario that's supposed to have 30 sacks, Bills Fans need to relax Marcell & Mario are doing what they are supposed to do, the whole line needs time to gel together then better results are going to happen

#17 Dean Cain

Dean Cain

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Dareus' 11 career sacks put him in top 20 sacks for Bills all-time. Compared to other DTs Dareus is top statistical leader among DTs drafted in 2011. We could have missed on Nick Fairley.

#18 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostBigCountryBills, on 04 February 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

Dareus' 11 career sacks put him in top 20 sacks for Bills all-time. Compared to other DTs Dareus is top statistical leader among DTs drafted in 2011. We could have missed on Nick Fairley.

Pointing out who else we could have missed on hardly strengthens your argument...

#19 Dorkington

Dorkington

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Unless he improves, he will go down as a bust. But not in the Maybin sort of way. He was drafted at #3, and is playing like a second round pick. Solid, decent, but not great. Whereas Maybin was drafted at (I forget) and plays like he shouldn't have been drafted at all.

#20 Joe_the_6_pack

Joe_the_6_pack

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostMr. WEO, on 04 February 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Pointing out who else we could have missed on hardly strengthens your argument...
Especially since Fairley's 2nd season he put comparable #'s to Dareus, while playing in 3 fewer games

2012   Tackles    Sacks   Forced Fumbles
Dareus    39 5.5    0
Fairley 34 5.5    2

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack, 04 February 2013 - 07:42 AM.