Jump to content


WGR qb ratings by Joe Buscaglia

very good prospects exist

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

The attached linked is a draft qb rating from WGR's Joe B. He rates his three top draft prospects for the Bills in the order of Barkley, Wilson and Smith. He gives a good concise evaluation of the players. I have always liked the way he assesses players and approaches the draft. He takes the approach that it isn't just about evaluating players so much as evaluating how they would fit with your particular system.

At this point my preferred qb prospect is Tyler Wilson. But I would be more than happy with any of his top three prospects.There is simply no excuse for us to come out of this draft without a qualilty qb prospect. I'm not adverse to trading down a tad but would not risk waiting for the second round to get the qb we want.


http://wgr550.com/Bu...nkings/15468263

#2 zonabb

zonabb

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Classic example of why turning the draft on and watching it unfold is the best use of your time. Every media outlet has some self-anointed in-house expert with rankings. How much time has this guy spent in a scouting department as a scout, at any level?

Lets stop glorifying these mock drafts and rankings. If I worked at WGR and was given that same opportunity to rank players, my opinion would be as invalid as his. Opportunty is Apparently equal to credibility.


#3 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostJohnC, on 08 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

The attached linked is a draft qb rating from WGR's Joe B. He rates his three top draft prospects for the Bills in the order of Barkley, Wilson and Smith. He gives a good concise evaluation of the players. I have always liked the way he assesses players and approaches the draft. He takes the approach that it isn't just about evaluating players so much as evaluating how they would fit with your particular system.

At this point my preferred qb prospect is Tyler Wilson. But I would be more than happy with any of his top three prospects.There is simply no excuse for us to come out of this draft without a qualilty qb prospect. I'm not adverse to trading down a tad but would not risk waiting for the second round to get the qb we want.


http://wgr550.com/Bu...nkings/15468263

I can't say I'm a fan of Wilson.  He reeks of a system QB to me.  What Petrino QB has ever done anything in the pros?  I know there are always outliers (Rodgers and Tedford), but I don't see Wilson as a special player at the next level.  I'd prefer Smith and Barkley (how potential #1 overall picks become bums during a season baffles me) with Nassib and Manuel as fallbacks.

#4 Buftex

Buftex

    JIM KELLY: the reason for the seasons!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postzonabb, on 08 February 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Classic example of why turning the draft on and watching it unfold is the best use of your time. Every media outlet has some self-anointed in-house expert with rankings. How much time has this guy spent in a scouting department as a scout, at any level?

Lets stop glorifying these mock drafts and rankings. If I worked at WGR and was given that same opportunity to rank players, my opinion would be as invalid as his. Opportunty is Apparently equal to credibility.

Someone just got zonabbed!

#5 13player

13player

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I am for Barkley or no QB, he is the only one worth any kind of risk, otherwise draft the best reciever available and go get Alex Smith!

Edited by 13player, 08 February 2013 - 10:10 AM.


#6 Rubes

Rubes

    The Doctor of Football...is IN

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,787 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostBuftex, on 08 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Someone just got zonabbed!

:lol: :lol:

#7 KeisterHollow

KeisterHollow

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

His analysis does, I think, show that there are QB's to be had this year - and more than just 2 or 3.  I also like Barkley, and agree, mostly, with his rankings.  It tells me we should be set to get either Wilson, Barkley, or Smith at 8 this year.  If we pass on them in favor of another position, the likes of Bray, or Manuel, or Nassib in round 2 are also nice.  I think, though, if you go round 2 QB you hae to also bring in a Veteran.

#8 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

View Postzonabb, on 08 February 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Classic example of why turning the draft on and watching it unfold is the best use of your time. Every media outlet has some self-anointed in-house expert with rankings. How much time has this guy spent in a scouting department as a scout, at any level?

Lets stop glorifying these mock drafts and rankings. If I worked at WGR and was given that same opportunity to rank players, my opinion would be as invalid as his. Opportunity is Apparently equal to credibility.

All that may be true...But in Buffalo I'm not certain it's actually relevant considering almost anyone, Joe B included, could have done as good if not better than Buddy with a Big Board made out of cork and a few darts... B-)

#9 BillsVet

BillsVet

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostKOKBILLS, on 08 February 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

All that may be true...But in Buffalo I'm not certain it's actually relevant considering almost anyone, Joe B included, could have done as good if not better than Buddy with a Big Board made out of cork and a few darts... B-)

Buddy believes analytics is a fancy highfalutin way of saying the Bills needs to invest in Mel Kiper's draft magazine or your aforementioned method of picking players.

#10 ....lybob

....lybob

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Quote

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:23 AM
I rate them 1. Geno Smith 2. Matt Barkley 3. Tyler Wilson 4. Glennon 5. Manuel 6. Bray

1. Geno Smith - I think Smith and Barkley are similar in neither has glaring flaws but I think Geno Smith is a little taller, a little more athletic with better escape ability and a better runner, has a little stronger arm and is a little more accurate - I think he will be pretty good but think Tony Romo not Aaron Rodgers

2. Matt Barkley- I think could be a pretty good QB in the right system- If you're rating him better than Smith it has to be on things that don't show up on video (competitiveness, leadership, intelligence) or maybe for playing larger more pressurized venues

3. Tyler Wilson- talent wise I think he's very close to Barkley but small hands and two concussions make me downgrade him a little

4. Mike Glennon - will need a team with an excellent OL, strong running game and some good offensive weapons too have a chance-escape ability is pretty poor but is strong enough to throw with a hand grabbing him and is tall enough to throw with a DT in his face.

5. E.J. Manuel- most upside of this years QB but some serious questions too-  Very good size and very athletic but more Ben Roethlisberger than Cam Newton- intelligent but like Fitz might not always translate to football intelligence - lacks the three quicks I look for ( quick decisions, quick feet, quick release) not terrible but not up their with Geno  Smith or even Barkley

6. Tyler Bray- many of the best throws I've seen this year but maybe even more terrible throws - one game he threw two ints and could have easily had ten more- I think his arm strength is #1and at times he zips the ball 40-50 yards into small windows almost perfectly but so many god awful throws, skinny frame, and less than stellar athletic ability should make him a day three guy draft wise.

I rated then a little differently but I place a very high value on the QB being able to make a positive play when the OL breaks down or the receivers are covered - Geno Smith showed me the best ability to buy time to make throws or get first downs running.

#11 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    Read The FN Manuel

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,738 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Joe Buscaglia and Brian Koziol take a look at the top quarterbacks 2013 has to offer:

WGR NFL Draft Podcast #2

#12 I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Maybe Joe Licata will come out early! :D

#13 first_and_ten

first_and_ten

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostKeisterHollow, on 08 February 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

His analysis does, I think, show that there are QB's to be had this year - and more than just 2 or 3.  I also like Barkley, and agree, mostly, with his rankings.  It tells me we should be set to get either Wilson, Barkley, or Smith at 8 this year.  If we pass on them in favor of another position, the likes of Bray, or Manuel, or Nassib in round 2 are also nice.  I think, though, if you go round 2 QB you hae to also bring in a Veteran.

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick considered a veteran? :rolleyes:

#14 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostI, on 08 February 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Maybe Joe Licata will come out early! :D

Someone needs to tell his coach that he needs to play the qb who can throw the best more. I would love to see the homeboy shine. :thumbsup:

#15 TC in St. Louis

TC in St. Louis

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

ESPN has Geno Smith rated number one,  with a score of 91.  They say he's the 23rd best player in the draft.  Their second rated QB, Barkley, scores 88, ranked #32.  Glennon scored 87, #37, Wilson-81, #60.  Jones gets 80 and is ranked 64th.  Bray is 79, ranked #70.

EJ Manuel scores 70 and is not in the top 100.

Ryan Nassib scores 69, and is not in the top 100.

Last year, Russell Wilson also scored 69.  So these numbers don't necessarily mean anything.  That said, I hope they don't take Nassib at #8, or even in the 2nd round.  If they go QB early, I hope it's Geno Smith, Glennon or Barkley.

#16 purple haze

purple haze

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Barkley is just okay.  I see alot of SC games in Cali.  His arm is not better than it's given credit for.  His decision making, this season at least, was very suspect.  He is not the most athletic either.  Intangibles?  Fitz has intangibles too.  We'll see if Barkley does well at the combine/pro day.  Maybe his arm strength has improved, but...

To me he's a Fitz "type" with a higher profile and less athleticism.

#17 ....lybob

....lybob

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 08 February 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Joe Buscaglia and Brian Koziol take a look at the top quarterbacks 2013 has to offer:

WGR NFL Draft Podcast #2
geez do I have to hear the propaganda again that Nassib outplayed Geno Smith in the Pinstripe bowl yes Syracuse won but their two RBs combined for 365yrds - Geno Smith was 19/28 201yds 2 TDs 0 ints
Nassib 11/23 130yds 2TDs 1int


Syracuse

#18 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Post....lybob, on 08 February 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

geez do I have to hear the propaganda again that Nassib outplayed Geno Smith in the Pinstripe bowl yes Syracuse won but their two RBs combined for 365yrds - Geno Smith was 19/28 201yds 2 TDs 0 ints
Nassib 11/23 130yds 2TDs 1int


Syracuse

If a QB's team wins, they are awesome.  If they lose, they suck.  Thus, Flacco is a much better QB than Brady & Manning.  The rest of the team has nothing to do with that.  Duh.

And seriously, if Geno Smith was on a team with a defense that was middle of the road, they would have been challenging for a BCS bowl.

#19 Lurker

Lurker

    16 pages is NOT enough

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

View Postzonabb, on 08 February 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Classic example of why turning the draft on and watching it unfold is the best use of your time. Every media outlet has some self-anointed in-house expert with rankings. How much time has this guy spent in a scouting department as a scout, at any level?

Lets stop glorifying these mock drafts and rankings. If I worked at WGR and was given that same opportunity to rank players, my opinion would be as invalid as his. Opportunty is Apparently equal to credibility.

Good post...