Jump to content


Colin Brown re-signed


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Trooth

Dr. Trooth

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

2 year deal according to KFFL.

#2 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

And per PFT here are the terms:

Colin Brown, who would have been a restricted free agent, has signed a two-year, $1.445 million contract, per a source with knowledge of the deal.

Brown received a signing bonus of $25,000.  He’ll earn a base salary of $630,000 in 2013, along with $30,000 workout bonus.  The deal contains a split salary of $358,000, which will be paid in the event Brown lands on injured reserve.
For 2014, Brown has a base salary of $730,000 and a workout bonus of $30,000.

http://profootballta...ory/rumor-mill/

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan, 16 February 2013 - 08:54 AM.


#3 jcbillsfan

jcbillsfan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Nice depth.   I would really like to see Reinhart signed

#4 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

View Postjcbillsfan, on 16 February 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Nice depth.   I would really like to see Reinhart signed

I have a feeling if the Bills are successful in re-signing Levitre that Rhinehart will be gone.

I think Rhinehart stays only if we lose Levitre.

Just my gut.

#5 mead107

mead107

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,609 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

You could be right.

#6 jumbalaya

jumbalaya

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

gotta keep levitre & byrd, losing either is not an option.

#7 Saint Doug

Saint Doug

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

For basically a scrub and a trivial contract, I still will never be able to imagine making such a large amount of money.

#8 bowery4

bowery4

    "‘Chance favors the prepared mind‘’

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think it is a good move, he is a giant guy and he can really be a road grater in the run blocking department. Also a LT that plays center when needed, nice versatility.

#9 CSBill

CSBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostSan Jose Bills Fan, on 16 February 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I have a feeling if the Bills are successful in re-signing Levitre that Rhinehart will be gone.

I think Rhinehart stays only if we lose Levitre.

Just my gut.

makes sense, but would love to keep both. However, if Levitre goes, Rhinehart will be our starting LG next season.

#10 JM57

JM57

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Rinehart is really, really good depth. He could start on many teams in this league at RG. Its why we don't notice a huge drop off when he comes in to play. But neither he nor Urbik is wellsuited for LG. Its why we need Levitre to be resigned

#11 JPS

JPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Colin Brown is garbage.

#12 jcbillsfan

jcbillsfan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Rheinhardt can play left.   After qb, how much to pay levitre is the most interesting offseason decision.

#13 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postkas23, on 16 February 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

For basically a scrub and a trivial contract, I still will never be able to imagine making such a large amount of money.

That's funny because my impression of the terms was completely the opposite.

I've never heard of a modern-day NFL player only getting a $25,000 signing bonus.

His workout bonus is $30,000 which is also pretty meager and I've never heard of a "split salary" where he only gets half of his veteran minimum if he lands on IR. In fact in a game like football that strikes me as very unfair and I would hope the NFLPA has taken notice of this.

Who ever heard of a split salary?

#14 Saint Doug

Saint Doug

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostSan Jose Bills Fan, on 16 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:



That's funny because my impression of the terms was completely the opposite.

I've never heard of a modern-day NFL player only getting a $25,000 signing bonus.

His workout bonus is $30,000 which is also pretty meager and I've never heard of a "split salary" where he only gets half of his veteran minimum if he lands on IR. In fact in a game like football that strikes me as very unfair and I would hope the NFLPA has taken notice of this.

Who ever heard of a split salary?

Regardless, I would love to have these problems.

#15 Green Lightning

Green Lightning

    Mr. Peanut

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Good move, good depth. He's a giant guy with a lot of upside. What our track record with injuries  on the offensive line, we need quality backups.

#16 Mark Vader

Mark Vader

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

View Postkas23, on 16 February 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Regardless, I would love to have these problems.
Me too. Hell, I'd be happy with practice squad money.

#17 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Postbowery4, on 16 February 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think it is a good move, he is a giant guy and he can really be a road grater in the run blocking department. Also a LT that plays center when needed, nice versatility.

I agree, the man-love to performance ratio for Eric Wood around here is a bit too high and when Wood tore his acl a couple of years ago I think too much was made of Brown not playing well in his place.  He held his own, and as you stated he is an enormous guy on a dirt cheap contract.  And I like the two year aspect of the deal.  In the event that Brown has to play in place of an injured Eric Wood(a good possibility) and Brown performs well enough as a starter, the Bills would have him under contract when Wood is hitting free agency next year, which gives them options.  The odds are against that happening, but so was Scott Chandler ever making it and he has been a solid starter.  It's a small deal, but I appreciate deals that make sense and this one does, IMO.

#18 Dean Cain

Dean Cain

    DAS AUTO

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

A good veteran for depth that overlaps the end of Wood's contract. Will be interesting to see what we do with Mr. Wood.

#19 Dragonborn10

Dragonborn10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I like the move.
Levitre is as good as gone.  The Bills won't pay him top money but someone else will.  He has a chance to play for a winner.

#20 Bill from NYC

Bill from NYC

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,688 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostBADOLBEELZ, on 16 February 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

I agree, the man-love to performance ratio for Eric Wood around here is a bit too high and when Wood tore his acl a couple of years ago I think too much was made of Brown not playing well in his place.  He held his own, and as you stated he is an enormous guy on a dirt cheap contract.  And I like the two year aspect of the deal.  In the event that Brown has to play in place of an injured Eric Wood(a good possibility) and Brown performs well enough as a starter, the Bills would have him under contract when Wood is hitting free agency next year, which gives them options.  The odds are against that happening, but so was Scott Chandler ever making it and he has been a solid starter.  It's a small deal, but I appreciate deals that make sense and this one does, IMO.

I think that this was a great signing for the reasons that you mentioned. Frankly, I am surprised that the got him at this low price. Btw, do you think that they will be able to sign Levitre? I know that it could be done, but if my life depended on it I am thinking that he walks.