Jump to content


Here is my first Buffalo Bills Mock Draft, What do you think?


  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Damond Talbot

Damond Talbot

    Rookie

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

1st Round - Matt Barkley - USC Trojans - QB - I know some people won't like this pick but he is by far the most polished quarterback in this year's draft. We would have been pumped to get him last year because of his season. Nothing has changed besides his injury, but he is still the best QB in this draft.

2nd Round - Justin Hunter - Tennessee - WR - Hunter is a first round talent but, I believe Bills will go WR here, if Hunter is gone, look for the Bills to get Robert Woods, who I know they have sat down with numerous times. Hunter is a better playmaker but unfortunately his team mate is taking away from his amazing season.

3rd Round - Travis Kelce - Cincinnatti - TE - Doug Marrone is a former O-Lineman and loves his tight ends. Kelce has the talents of a Rob Gronkowski and Bills will need as many targets they can get on the field. Kelce will stretch the field and does a great job at blocking.

4th Round - Kiko Alonso - Oregon - ILB - This kid is a machine. He is 6'4 and one of my favorites in the draft. He has had a recent arrest that will make his stock drop a little but this kid should be a second rounder. He can cover and hits like a truck.

5th Round - Mark Harrison - Rutgers - WR - Let's face it Buffalo needs some targets, and this kid is the next Terrell Owens/Eric Moulds. Harrison's build is amazing and both Marrone and Pettine know a thing or two about Harrison. Harrison is a steal here. Big strong kid, who can block down field.

6th Round - Daxton Swanson - Sam Houston State - CB - This kid is one of the most under rated corners in the draft. He help lead the SHSU team to the Championship. Swanson is a stud corner and can play both inside and outside. He pulled his hammy halfway through the forty and still ran a 4.5, his coaches say he will run a 4.3 if healthy for his pro day. Kid is a beast.

7th Round - Tavaris Jackson Trade.

#2 #34fan

#34fan

    Hate to say I told you so... Especially since I didn't.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Hm. Mark Harrison ain't bad. -No love for Tim Wright?

Need more D-backfield players. Say, while I have you on the phone, What do you know about Cordell Roberson?

#3 Damond Talbot

Damond Talbot

    Rookie

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Cordell Roberson is a small school wide receiver from Stephen F. Austin. Has big play ability, goes across the middle, has very strong hands. He is a very tough kid, he should have been at a better program.  Roberson to me is a Undrafted Free Agent because of the wide receiver depth. He is a stand out and will have several teams calling for his services.  I am sure he broke a 1000 yards this year, because Stephen F. loves to chuck the ball.  They have a defensive end from Stephen F. Austin as well who was a Baylor transfer named Willie Jefferson.  He is a big kid, 6'5 and they say he can play both DE and TE.  Pretty freak athlete there.  Hope that answer was good enough for you.  God Bless

If you have any other questions, hit me up on twitter @drocksthaparty

I will be here for a while, I just wanted to post my mock since I am a die hard Bills fan.  Go Bills

#4 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

More of an offensive mock, huh Damond?

Funny it was during the post-draft period last year that I was thinking the Bills didn't have too many holes to fill. And now not even a year later, it seems there are a lot of holes.

I guess the blessing/curse is that the team could truly go best player available for most of their picks.

I'm intrigued by this Alonso guy.

#5 #34fan

#34fan

    Hate to say I told you so... Especially since I didn't.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostDamond Talbot, on 27 February 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Cordell Roberson is a small school wide receiver from Stephen F. Austin. Has big play ability, goes across the middle, has very strong hands. He is a very tough kid, he should have been at a better program.  Roberson to me is a Undrafted Free Agent because of the wide receiver depth. He is a stand out and will have several teams calling for his services.  I am sure he broke a 1000 yards this year, because Stephen F. loves to chuck the ball.  They have a defensive end from Stephen F. Austin as well who was a Baylor transfer named Willie Jefferson.  He is a big kid, 6'5 and they say he can play both DE and TE.  Pretty freak athlete there.  Hope that answer was good enough for you.  God Bless

If you have any other questions, hit me up on twitter @drocksthaparty

I will be here for a while, I just wanted to post my mock since I am a die hard Bills fan.  Go Bills

:thumbsup: Thanks for the info.

Scared to touch barkley on account of that shoulder, and his failure to make good on all his big talk... I don't mind the Alonso pick... Swanson kid sounds interesting.

#6 T master

T master

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

SUCKS !! just based on the fact that you took a USC QB in the first round WTH are you thinking wasn't Rob Johnson enough ???

#7 billsfan89

billsfan89

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I don't hate it, not thrilled. I don't think Barkley is a terrible pick, best pro ready QB. Then draft him a few targets because we are just devoid of targets. We can sign some players to help on the defensive side and also supplement the WR position. Its all relative but in philosophy going heavy on offense isn't a bad idea.

#8 Hopeful

Hopeful

    clearing the swamp

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostDamond Talbot, on 27 February 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

1st Round - Matt Barkley - USC Trojans - QB - I know some people won't like this pick but he is by far the most polished quarterback in this year's draft. We would have been pumped to get him last year because of his season. Nothing has changed besides his injury, but he is still the best QB in this draft.

2nd Round - Justin Hunter - Tennessee - WR - Hunter is a first round talent but, I believe Bills will go WR here, if Hunter is gone, look for the Bills to get Robert Woods, who I know they have sat down with numerous times. Hunter is a better playmaker but unfortunately his team mate is taking away from his amazing season.

3rd Round - Travis Kelce - Cincinnatti - TE - Doug Marrone is a former O-Lineman and loves his tight ends. Kelce has the talents of a Rob Gronkowski and Bills will need as many targets they can get on the field. Kelce will stretch the field and does a great job at blocking.

4th Round - Kiko Alonso - Oregon - ILB - This kid is a machine. He is 6'4 and one of my favorites in the draft. He has had a recent arrest that will make his stock drop a little but this kid should be a second rounder. He can cover and hits like a truck.

5th Round - Mark Harrison - Rutgers - WR - Let's face it Buffalo needs some targets, and this kid is the next Terrell Owens/Eric Moulds. Harrison's build is amazing and both Marrone and Pettine know a thing or two about Harrison. Harrison is a steal here. Big strong kid, who can block down field.

6th Round - Daxton Swanson - Sam Houston State - CB - This kid is one of the most under rated corners in the draft. He help lead the SHSU team to the Championship. Swanson is a stud corner and can play both inside and outside. He pulled his hammy halfway through the forty and still ran a 4.5, his coaches say he will run a 4.3 if healthy for his pro day. Kid is a beast.

7th Round - Tavaris Jackson Trade.

Interesting mock, Damond.  I wouldn't be upset about giving the offense some love in the top rounds.  I'd be kind of concerned about waiting until Round 4 to address the gaping hole in the middle of the field on LB.  It seems to me we need a top LB as badly as we need a top WR and a new QB.  Then of course there is the ol' "Best Player Available" thing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing - appreciate your insights especially on the small school guys.

View PostSan Jose Bills Fan, on 27 February 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

Funny it was during the post-draft period last year that I was thinking the Bills didn't have too many holes to fill. And now not even a year later, it seems there are a lot of holes.

You n me both SJBF.  We thought that between drafts and FA the defense had improved if not "arrived" and some of us hoped that early 2011 Fitz was the real deal there, too.

#9 VirginiaMike

VirginiaMike

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Since we don't see any other teams picks, I assume the you think Geno Smith will already be picked.  There is no way, in my opinion, that you take Barkley before Smith.  He is not as good as Smith.

#10 Florida Gator 14

Florida Gator 14

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

I don't think Matt Barkley or Justin Hunter are right for us. Barkley doesn't have to arm to play is Buffalo, and Hunter would've been the third best WR on his team, had Da'Rick Rodgers not been kicked off for drugs, and he doesn't have the big frame Buddy is looking for.

#11 Triple Threat

Triple Threat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostSan Jose Bills Fan, on 27 February 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:


Funny it was during the post-draft period last year that I was thinking the Bills didn't have too many holes to fill. And now not even a year later, it seems there are a lot of holes.


Really we're no different than any other team in respect to holes.  Of course we are different than the teams that have their QB, but I'm talking about just holes to fill.

I'm talking to my neighbor yesterday in the driveway who's a Steelers fan.  He's like "we need a corner, 2 WR's, a Linebacker (2 if they can't sign Foote), Harrison's probably gone, Woodley's not living up to his contract.  Troy and Keisel are old and not the players they were,  and we need a RB.  Oh and we're like 54 million over the cap."  I was like damn you just don't think about the Steelers like that.

Radio here in Charlotte this morning.  The Panthers are absolutely desperate for 1 WR if not 2.  Just as desperate for a D tackle and linebackers.  They need a TE, DE, LT, Guard, etc.  You get my point.

The issue is when you're hopefuls don't become answers it leaves not only feeling this way, but it's the reality.  For example last year.  In our minds we counted on Sheppard, but when he doesn't become an answer it's a problem.  I'm not a Nix basher by any means, this is just what these young draft picks will do to you.

#12 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostDamond Talbot, on 27 February 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

1st Round - Matt Barkley - USC Trojans - QB - I know some people won't like this pick but he is by far the most polished quarterback in this year's draft. We would have been pumped to get him last year because of his season. Nothing has changed besides his injury, but he is still the best QB in this draft.

2nd Round - Justin Hunter - Tennessee - WR - Hunter is a first round talent but, I believe Bills will go WR here, if Hunter is gone, look for the Bills to get Robert Woods, who I know they have sat down with numerous times. Hunter is a better playmaker but unfortunately his team mate is taking away from his amazing season.

3rd Round - Travis Kelce - Cincinnatti - TE - Doug Marrone is a former O-Lineman and loves his tight ends. Kelce has the talents of a Rob Gronkowski and Bills will need as many targets they can get on the field. Kelce will stretch the field and does a great job at blocking.

4th Round - Kiko Alonso - Oregon - ILB - This kid is a machine. He is 6'4 and one of my favorites in the draft. He has had a recent arrest that will make his stock drop a little but this kid should be a second rounder. He can cover and hits like a truck.

5th Round - Mark Harrison - Rutgers - WR - Let's face it Buffalo needs some targets, and this kid is the next Terrell Owens/Eric Moulds. Harrison's build is amazing and both Marrone and Pettine know a thing or two about Harrison. Harrison is a steal here. Big strong kid, who can block down field.

6th Round - Daxton Swanson - Sam Houston State - CB - This kid is one of the most under rated corners in the draft. He help lead the SHSU team to the Championship. Swanson is a stud corner and can play both inside and outside. He pulled his hammy halfway through the forty and still ran a 4.5, his coaches say he will run a 4.3 if healthy for his pro day. Kid is a beast.

7th Round - Tavaris Jackson Trade.

I like the qb pick in the first round. It will be interesting to see if Geno Smith is on the board when we make our selection. There is no doubt that we need receivers but we also need quality players on the defensive side of the ball. If the Bills go for offense in the first round they should try to get an impact LB in the second round.

What is very apparent is that after three years Nix has created a roster that has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese. What the heck has he accomplished after three years at the helm? It seems that we are walking up a down escalator that is moving at a faster rate than we are moving.

More and more I'm leaning toward trading down and acquiring more picks. The problem is we have a lackluster GM who is incapable of exercising a trace of creativity.

View PostTriple Threat, on 28 February 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Really we're no different than any other team in respect to holes.  Of course we are different than the teams that have their QB, but I'm talking about just holes to fill.


Quote

The issue is when you're hopefuls don't become answers it leaves not only feeling this way, but it's the reality.  For example last year.  In our minds we counted on Sheppard, but when he doesn't become an answer it's a problem.  I'm not a Nix basher by any means, this is just what these young draft picks will do to you.

You pinpointed the primary reason why this franchise has struggled: Missing on too many draft picks.  Having to frequently go back to address the same problem  doesn't advance your cause.

You are again on target in recognizing that if you don't have a franchise qb you can't overcome your roster liabilities.

Edited by JohnC, 28 February 2013 - 09:20 AM.


#13 RyanC883

RyanC883

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'd take Barkley over Smith every time.  Barkley plays under pressure all year last year and still puts up great stats.  Smith implodes during the second half of last season and caves into the Syracuse D pressure during the bowl game.  Barkley is also more of a leader than Smith, who is apparently a more laid-back, reserved kind of guy.  Smith is good, but Barkley is a better fit.

#14 ProbablyWrong

ProbablyWrong

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I like it a lot, provided we make a few moves in FA as well to shore up the defense.

#15 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,115 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostRyanC883, on 28 February 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I'd take Barkley over Smith every time.  Barkley plays under pressure all year last year and still puts up great stats.  Smith implodes during the second half of last season and caves into the Syracuse D pressure during the bowl game.  Barkley is also more of a leader than Smith, who is apparently a more laid-back, reserved kind of guy.  Smith is good, but Barkley is a better fit.

Honestly, I'd be happy with either one.  I just want them to do something.  I think both guys are getting severely undervalued.  Smith pretty much had to score 40+ every game to win.  Barkley had to overcome a bad defense and a daddy's boy coach who has never been good anywhere.  They might not be Luck or RG3, but they are certainly better than guys like Ponder, Tannehill, Gabbert, Locker, etc.

#16 RyanC883

RyanC883

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostC.Biscuit97, on 28 February 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

Honestly, I'd be happy with either one.  I just want them to do something.  I think both guys are getting severely undervalued.  Smith pretty much had to score 40+ every game to win.  Barkley had to overcome a bad defense and a daddy's boy coach who has never been good anywhere.  They might not be Luck or RG3, but they are certainly better than guys like Ponder, Tannehill, Gabbert, Locker, etc.

Good points about Smith.  I just think he is a bit like Landry Jones and shrinks under pressure.  He also had arguably the best WR tandem to throw to last year.  Although, perhaps they were so good because he was there.  Who knows.  I put Barkley as QB1 on my board, with Wilson and Smith as close QB2's.  I won't be upset if they end up with one of those three.  And then draft another QB next year if we don't hit it this year.

#17 Brainiac21

Brainiac21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Smith didn't look too reserved to me in the Syracuse game.  If anything he had to be calmed down when things didn't go his way.  I could use a little of that after seeing the beaten-looking Ftizpatrick trudge off the field head down after his picks. That said, it's hard to imagine Marrone picking the guy he beat 4 times in a row over his own guy who beat him... tough to justify.

But basically, I'd need a lot more convincing Barkley is worth a top 10 pick when i've been reading he has 2nd or 3rd round arm talent recently.  Guess we'll see at his pro day, but if he does not wow people, there is no way we take a below-average arm at #8.

#18 1billsfan

1billsfan

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,397 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostBrainiac21, on 28 February 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Smith didn't look too reserved to me in the Syracuse game.  If anything he had to be calmed down when things didn't go his way.  I could use a little of that after seeing the beaten-looking Ftizpatrick trudge off the field head down after his picks. That said, it's hard to imagine Marrone picking the guy he beat 4 times in a row over his own guy who beat him... tough to justify.

But basically, I'd need a lot more convincing Barkley is worth a top 10 pick when i've been reading he has 2nd or 3rd round arm talent recently.  Guess we'll see at his pro day, but if he does not wow people, there is no way we take a below-average arm at #8.

I think the Matt Barkley people have convinced themselves that he can somehow become a franchise QB without a actually having a real "NFL Franchise QB" strong arm. That's like searching for a unicorn.

Now, if your definition of an NFL Franchise QB includes the name Andy Dalton, then you would of course include his "talent twin" Matt Barkley. But there in lies the problem right there. Andy Dalton is and will forever be an average NFL QB.

It's sad to see how many Bills fans will now settle for the Andy Dalton model of "he's not really a franchise QB but we'll pretend anyways."

The only guys in this draft who have real NFL Franchise QB arms are Smith, Manuel, Bray, and Glennon.

#19 Rob's House

Rob's House

    I ain't no frickin monument to justice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

I would love this draft. It does a good job of maximizing the value this draft has to offer while addressing team needs.

#20 tennesseeboy

tennesseeboy

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,885 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Interesting draft but I see us getting a linebacker (or maybe even a defensive end, with Kelsay retiring) in the first.  Picking eighth there is an outside chance of great OT or CB sneaking through to us.  I just don't see Barkely as our guy for the long haul, and not as number 8 material.  There will be a qb almost as good available in round 2.

The other picks look very good.  I would take a chance on the honey badger in round 4 if he makes it that far.