Jump to content


Russ Brandon: Bills 'haven't been relevant for way too long

No Schitt Sherlock!!!

  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Jabber

Jerry Jabber

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

http://blogs.buffalo...y-too-long.html

"I'm not going to look back on the last 13 years," Bills President Russ Brandon told reporters at the NFL scouting combine, "but it's certainly on the minds of a lot of people and understandably so.

"We've got to get back to the playoffs, and we've got to start making some dents into being significant and being relevant in this league. We haven't been relevant for way too long. So it's time to change that, time to change the culture."

So that's it, just getting back to the playoffs is enough for Brandon? What good is it to make the playoffs just to get bounced in the first or second round?! I think after 13 years of terrible football, the Bills organziation owes it to us fans to make this team into a Superbowl winner.

#2 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I have no problem with those comments. Sounds like they are trying to change the culture by doing a totally different direction that retread failed HC.

I don't understand the hate RB

#3 Kellyto83TD

Kellyto83TD

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hell we need a winning record!  THEN playoffs, then superbowl. Baby steps...

#4 mrags

mrags

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,209 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Everyone wishes for a Superbowl. There's been less than 30 Superbowl winners in history. At the end of the day, you've got to make the playoffs just to get a shot and if you make the playoffs, you DO have a shot.

Also, he made comments like this months ago and people jumped him for the exact same thing. Just an FYI. We've been over this exact topic before.

#5 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,734 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostJerry Jabber, on 28 February 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

http://blogs.buffalo...y-too-long.html

"I'm not going to look back on the last 13 years," Bills President Russ Brandon told reporters at the NFL scouting combine, "but it's certainly on the minds of a lot of people and understandably so.

"We've got to get back to the playoffs, and we've got to start making some dents into being significant and being relevant in this league. We haven't been relevant for way too long. So it's time to change that, time to change the culture."

So that's it, just getting back to the playoffs is enough for Brandon? What good is it to make the playoffs just to get bounced in the first or second round?! I think after 13 years of terrible football, the Bills organziation owes it to us fans to make this team into a Superbowl winner.

yes, i imagine he sees the ceiling of the franchises ambition as a wild card birth at 9-7 and getting blown out week one of the playoffs. this quote clearly proves he does not want a ring.

#6 Jerry Jabber

Jerry Jabber

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postmrags, on 28 February 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Everyone wishes for a Superbowl. There's been less than 30 Superbowl winners in history. At the end of the day, you've got to make the playoffs just to get a shot and if you make the playoffs, you DO have a shot.

Also, he made comments like this months ago and people jumped him for the exact same thing. Just an FYI. We've been over this exact topic before.

I know we've been over this topic before. This was just posted by Tim Graham and I wanted to comment on it. I'm no longer giving this organziation the benefit of doubt, it's time to see results. We can go on about all the stuff that's wrong with the Bills and where they failed over the past 13 years, but that horse has been beaten into oblivion. We all know the Bills aren't going anywhere without a real Franchise QB. The way this draft class is looking at the QB position, it doesn't look like our savior is there. So maybe there will be a franchise QB in the 2014 draft.

View PostNoSaint, on 28 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

yes, i imagine he sees the ceiling of the franchises ambition as a wild card birth at 9-7 and getting blown out week one of the playoffs. this quote clearly proves he does not want a ring.

I put what Brandon said just above Jauron's famous quote of "It's hard to win in the NFL."

#7 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,734 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostJerry Jabber, on 28 February 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:



I know we've been over this topic before. This was just posted by Tim Graham and I wanted to comment on it. I'm no longer giving this organziation the benefit of doubt, it's time to see results. We can go on about all the stuff that's wrong with the Bills and where they failed over the past 13 years, but that horse has been beaten into oblivion. We all know the Bills aren't going anywhere without a real Franchise QB. The way this draft class is looking at the QB position, it doesn't look like our savior is there. So maybe there will be a franchise QB in the 2014 draft.



I put what Brandon said just above Jauron's famous quote of "It's hard to win in the NFL."

yes... clearly.... we have been bad and need to make it back to the playoffs has a lot in common with that.

#8 JPS

JPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hey... I don't think there's any accident with the Bills sucking during Brandon's entire employment, but do we need to jump on everything he says? Often, he says the right thing. Saying the right things have never been a problem. Check out the ticket sales.

I don't care what he says or what Buddy says. It's time to put up.

#9 KD in CT

KD in CT

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,960 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

You can't please some of the people any of the time.    :rolleyes:

#10 Kellyto83TD

Kellyto83TD

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Let me just bottom line this for all Bills fans... Russ Brandon = Ralph wilson. He is his clone. Russ even says he learned his way of doing things from Ralph. He kept Nix out of loyalty and friendship and he lost me right then. I knew right then there would be no real change.

Then this exaustive search was ended with getting a college coach with some NFL Exp. but from an average program and that guy brought in a guy with no NFL OC Exp to be the OC. THEN they keep fitz and state he gets to compete for the job.

This shows me nothing has changed.  I had hope when Ralph passed a new owner would come in, clean house acrosss the board and do it right. My greatest fear now is Russ is really part of an ownership group in place and will spearhead the franchise when Ralph passes meaning.... 50 MORE years of Ralph Wilson type ownership.

#11 jcbillsfan

jcbillsfan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

the goal is to get to the playoffs, more and more it is get in then do some damage  

giants two years ago and this year the ravens

#12 Jerry Jabber

Jerry Jabber

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostJPS, on 28 February 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Hey... I don't think there's any accident with the Bills sucking during Brandon's entire employment, but do we need to jump on everything he says? Often, he says the right thing. Saying the right things have never been a problem. Check out the ticket sales.

I don't care what he says or what Buddy says. It's time to put up.

Gailey said all the right things, but where did that get the Bills: 4-12, 6-10 & 6-10. It's time to hold these guys accountable. By holding these guys accountable is by quit going to the games, quit buying merchandise, etc... Once The Ralph is half full and the team is making a lot less money, that is when some action takes place. The Bills organization should feel very lucky to have us as a fan base. I don't know of anywhere else in the country that fans would have been this loyal to an organzation that has been inept for such a long time.

I agree, it's time to put up!

View PostKellyto83TD, on 28 February 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Let me just bottom line this for all Bills fans... Russ Brandon = Ralph wilson. He is his clone. Russ even says he learned his way of doing things from Ralph. He kept Nix out of loyalty and friendship and he lost me right then. I knew right then there would be no real change.

Then this exaustive search was ended with getting a college coach with some NFL Exp. but from an average program and that guy brought in a guy with no NFL OC Exp to be the OC. THEN they keep fitz and state he gets to compete for the job.

This shows me nothing has changed.  I had hope when Ralph passed a new owner would come in, clean house acrosss the board and do it right. My greatest fear now is Russ is really part of an ownership group in place and will spearhead the franchise when Ralph passes meaning.... 50 MORE years of Ralph Wilson type ownership.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :worthy:  I agree 100%

#13 Triple Threat

Triple Threat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

I actually think he would have sounded more like a moron if he would have said "The playoffs aren't good enough and I'm not looking to just be relevant and have winning records,  we want championships".

#14 QCity

QCity

    GM

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostKD in CT, on 28 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

You can't please some of the people any of the time. :rolleyes:

lol so true, some are just happiest when complaining. People were wondering who the next whipping boy will be after Kelsey? Here's your answer!

#15 Best Player Available

Best Player Available

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostJerry Jabber, on 28 February 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

http://blogs.buffalo...y-too-long.html

"I'm not going to look back on the last 13 years," Bills President Russ Brandon told reporters at the NFL scouting combine, "but it's certainly on the minds of a lot of people and understandably so.

"We've got to get back to the playoffs, and we've got to start making some dents into being significant and being relevant in this league. We haven't been relevant for way too long. So it's time to change that, time to change the culture."

So that's it, just getting back to the playoffs is enough for Brandon? What good is it to make the playoffs just to get bounced in the first or second round?! I think after 13 years of terrible football, the Bills organziation owes it to us fans to make this team into a Superbowl winner.
Hey,thanks for your meaningless lip service Russ. You still aren't prying much new money out of old fans pockets. Until you actually do something. Talk is cheap Russ. And you are the problem not the solution.

rant out.

#16 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 28 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

yes, i imagine he sees the ceiling of the franchises ambition as a wild card birth at 9-7 and getting blown out week one of the playoffs. this quote clearly proves he does not want a ring.

What Brandon'sresponse proves is that he is not a lunatic. The Bills have not been in the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. Realistically assessing this current roster they won't be in the playoffs next year for sure and probably not the next year or year after. If he started talking about the SB at this juncture he would not only be laughed off of the stage but he would forever lose his credibility.

Of course Brandon wants a ring. But at this point it is such a long shot probability it makes sense to first work your way out of the dumps of irrelevancy and move in a forward direction. Instead of wishing for magical leaps that only happen in your dreams he needs to build the team the right way. It's simply going to take time to get to the point of being a competitive team, which we are not right now. The laughable scores in the 49ers and Seahawk games demonstrated how bad our team really is. Just maybe in a few years if this organization starts making smart decisions instead of so many head scratching decisions they might be in a positon to at least be respectable instead of the laughing stock of the league.

Buddy Nix is the current GM, the person most responsible for personnel decisons. His record is 16-32 over the past three years. His team has been virtually incapable of defeating winning teams during that stint. As of now he is still on the job calling the shots. At this point if Brandon had the audacity to whisper the words SB he should be forceably placed in a straitjacket and taken to a mental institution to be injected with potent pyschotropic drugs to bring him out of his state of delusion..

Edited by JohnC, 28 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.


#17 jahnyc

jahnyc

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

It will be interesting to see if anything has really changed or enough has changed.  Russ Brandon is in charge and RW is much less involved and has ceded authority.  The Bills fire Gailey and his coaches and bring in a new coach and staff.  Nix stays, but Whaley is clearly up next.

I think the team could have benefitted from a new GM with strong experience, but they decided to keep Nix, which concerns me.  I am not enamored with his drafts over the last three years.  The team may a bit more talent now versus when Nix became GM, but the overall talent level is still low.  If Nix steps down, are we confident that Whaley can be the guy?  How involved has he been with recent drafts?

So where we are?  Some change, but probably not enough.

#18 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,892 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostKD in CT, on 28 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

You can't please some of the people any of the time. :rolleyes:

Well, if he hadn't been GM and/or CEO for the past 4 seasons, his critique of the team's "relevance" might actually carry some heft.  Instead, it's laughable. Now he wants the team to be relevant again, instead of a cash cow for Mr. Burns?

#19 artmalibu

artmalibu

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Talk is cheep!!

#20 Dibs

Dibs

    Myth Buster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostTriple Threat, on 28 February 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I actually think he would have sounded more like a moron if he would have said "The playoffs aren't good enough and I'm not looking to just be relevant and have winning records,  we want championships".
+1