Jump to content


Should the Bills trade UP to #1???


  • Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Just saw a discussion on NFLN that went:

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

Edited by DrDareustein, 15 March 2013 - 09:42 PM.


#2 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,507 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostDrDareustein, on 15 March 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

Just saw a discussion on NFLN that went:

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

8 to 1 would almost 100% include next years first. And likely our second this year - and that would be a discount already.

#3 Hopeful

Hopeful

    clearing the swamp

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostDrDareustein, on 15 March 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

Just saw a discussion on NFLN that went:

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

I could be wrong, I don't see Geno Smith as the player you put it all out on the table for.

#4 Best Player Available

Best Player Available

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Man that sounds like something almost impossible to do. The QB pick at 1 doesn't exist unless a GM is into buying fools gold. i think Nix is smart enough to pass.

#5 BRAWNDO

BRAWNDO

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 15 March 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

8 to 1 would almost 100% include next years first. And likely our second this year - and that would be a discount already.
This

View PostHopeful, on 15 March 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

I could be wrong, I don't see Geno Smith as the player you put it all out on the table for.
And this.

#6 BillsWatch

BillsWatch

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

When you have only 6 draft picks and many holes trading up is not a scenario which makes much sense.
Have comp picks been awarded yet?

#7 DefenseWinzChampionshipz

DefenseWinzChampionshipz

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Bills don't draft african american quarterbacks... Let alone dress them...

#8 rayray808

rayray808

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

if you have the #1 pick, a QB is there and you are willing to trade it away......... then that QB is not worth taking at #1 IMO

Colts would NEVER have traded that pick away for Luck
Panthers would NEVER have traded that pick away for Cam
etc...

#9 DefenseWinzChampionshipz

DefenseWinzChampionshipz

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

I hate you all... Sorry, I had to let negativity out on my 666th post...

#10 Big C

Big C

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Lol at that idea.

#11 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,277 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostDrDareustein, on 15 March 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

Just saw a discussion on NFLN that went:

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

I like Geno a lot...More than most....I think his upside is very high...

But I'm not in favor of Trading anything from the 2014 Draft...As much as I like Geno I can honestly say I like McCarron, Bridgewater, and Manziel more...So I would be unwilling to give up anything in 2014...I would like to see them ADD picks to 2014...

I would much rather see The Bills pass on Geno this year, trade down a couple times in the 1st, take a QB with one of their first two Picks, and be prepared to make a big move in 2014 for a QB if necessary...

But that's just me... B-)

#12 JPS

JPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostDefenseWinzChampionshipz, on 15 March 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I hate you all... Sorry, I had to let negativity out on my 666th post...
That's actually funny. Does it make me a bad person to think that's funny?

#13 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,277 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostJPS, on 15 March 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

That's actually funny. Does it make me a bad person to think that's funny?

Nope...I thought it was hilarious!!! :D

#14 JPS

JPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

By the way, I've decided to check out of the Geno/Barkley debate.  I DUNNO!  I haven't studied these guys.  30,000 foot view. Nobody reminds me of any wildly successful NFL QB. But I sure hope the guys at OBD get this right because we're F'd for another few years if they don't.

Go Bills.

#15 KGUNBILLS

KGUNBILLS

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

No way, draft Patterson @ #8, Tyler Bray in the second round, try to fill hole with rounds 3-6, your hoping at best at that point, but it could happen. Start the season off with some trick plays to at least make it a little interesting. 13 years of nothing at all....... I am all for some trick plays, at least for entertainment value.

#16 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postrayray808, on 15 March 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

if you have the #1 pick, a QB is there and you are willing to trade it away......... then that QB is not worth taking at #1 IMO

Colts would NEVER have traded that pick away for Luck
Panthers would NEVER have traded that pick away for Cam
etc...

The Colts had no one at QB.
The Panthers had no one at QB.
The Chiefs just traded for Alex Smith and he will be their franchise guy for the foreseeable future. They dont need a QB and they could get a Tackle at 8.

The Chiefs have made the following Free Agent Signings or Trades so far:
Alex Smith QB
Chase Daniel QB
Anthony Fasano TE
Dwayne Bowe WR
Donny Avery WR
Geoff Schwartz OL
Mike DeVito DE
Sean Smith CB
Dunta Robinson CB

Hence they dont need anyone at #1 unless they want to take an OT or DE. But they can trade down and still get value.

Edited by DrDareustein, 15 March 2013 - 10:31 PM.


#17 mitchmurraydowntown

mitchmurraydowntown

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

The real problem is we'd have to pay him #1 pick money, which isn't going to sit well with Ralph. I know he's supposedly not in charge but those really high checks don't write themselves, they need an extra signature.

#18 ecgetty

ecgetty

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostBest Player Available, on 15 March 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Man that sounds like something almost impossible to do. The QB pick at 1 doesn't exist unless a GM is into buying fools gold. i think Nix is smart enough to pass.
.  Haaaaaa. That is rich...


#19 Dragonborn10

Dragonborn10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostDrDareustein, on 15 March 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

The Colts had no one at QB.
The Panthers had no one at QB.
The Chiefs just traded for Alex Smith and he will be their franchise guy for the foreseeable future. They dont need a QB and they could get a Tackle at 8.

The Chiefs have made the following Free Agent Signings or Trades so far:
Alex Smith QB
Chase Daniel QB
Anthony Fasano TE
Dwayne Bowe WR
Donny Avery WR
Geoff Schwartz OL
Mike DeVito DE
Sean Smith CB
Dunta Robinson CB

Hence they dont need anyone at #1 unless they want to take an OT or DE. But they can trade down and still get value.

To quote you. The Chiefs had no one at QB and could have chosen Smith as their QB of the future.  Instead Andy Reid took Alex Smith.  I will trust Reid's opinion and pass on trading up for Smith.  If he drops to 8 so be it.  If not and Milner falls then trade down and get a QB later.

#20 DrDareustein

DrDareustein

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

View Postmitchmurraydowntown, on 15 March 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

The real problem is we'd have to pay him #1 pick money, which isn't going to sit well with Ralph. I know he's supposedly not in charge but those really high checks don't write themselves, they need an extra signature.

Newton and Luck's contracts were both 4 years/$22mil, fully guaranteed. Peanuts for a possible franchise QB. Totally worth it.

View PostDadonkadonk, on 15 March 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

To quote you. The Chiefs had no one at QB and could have chosen Smith as their QB of the future.  Instead Andy Reid took Alex Smith.  I will trust Reid's opinion and pass on trading up for Smith.  If he drops to 8 so be it.  If not and Milner falls then trade down and get a QB later.

I dont know how much correlation can be drawn from Reid wanting Alex Smith to his opinion on every other QB possibility. He just liked A. Smith best, and now he has the #1 spot to work with as well.