Jump to content


Infallible organizations don't exist


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

LOL at how fast this board would implode if we were paying this guy $8.25M

Packers TE Jermichael Finley, due a $3 million roster bonus by 4 pm today, will remain in Green Bay and make $8.25 million this season.

#2 Triple Threat

Triple Threat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think over half would want us to sign him for that kind of money.

#3 John Cocktosten

John Cocktosten

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I barely come on this board anymore but I've noticed that you've taken over the OBD apologist duties. Scott McClellan feels bad for you.

#4 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostTriple Threat, on 25 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

I think over half would want us to sign him for that kind of money.

That's terrifying.

View PostJohn Cocktosten, on 25 March 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

I barely come on this board anymore but I've noticed that you've taken over the OBD apologist duties. Scott McClellan feels bad for you.

:huh:

#5 DefenseWins

DefenseWins

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Maybe if we had a Super Bowl contending team like the Packers, I could see shelling out 8.25 Million for Finley...

#6 Coach Tuesday

Coach Tuesday

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

What about an all-fallible organization?  Seems like that's what we have here.  The NFL has structured things in such a way that to pull off the string of failure that the Bills have is quite an impressive feat.  They are amazing at sucking.

#7 Best Player Available

Best Player Available

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yea, the Packers aren't as savvy as Nix, overpaying get a DE (Anderson) for 8 mil. And, then you got the punt catcher
Brad Smith. And how about stealing the other punt catcher McClovin? Good thing were not the Packers

#8 Triple Threat

Triple Threat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostBest Player Available, on 25 March 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

Yea, the Packers aren't as savvy as Nix, overpaying get a DE (Anderson) for 8 mil. And, then you got the punt catcher
Brad Smith. And how about stealing the other punt catcher McClovin? Good thing were not the Packers

The fact you think Anderson makes 8 million speaks volumes.

#9 BillsWatch

BillsWatch

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostBest Player Available, on 25 March 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

Yea, the Packers aren't as savvy as Nix, overpaying get a DE (Anderson) for 8 mil. And, then you got the punt catcher
Brad Smith. And how about stealing the other punt catcher McClovin? Good thing were not the Packers

I guess you do not know the difference between a punt catcher (which the Bills have had before) and a punt returner.  Not surprising since you are not a Bills fan.

#10 Best Player Available

Best Player Available

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostTriple Threat, on 25 March 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

The fact you think Anderson makes 8 million speaks volumes.
originally reported at 27.5 mil for 4 years. The News then changed the number (Gaughlin). Who knows. He's overpaid
Next time I'll check before hurting peoples feelings. Sorry.

View PostBillsWatch, on 25 March 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

I guess you do not know the difference between a punt catcher (which the Bills have had before) and a punt returner.  Not surprising since you are not a Bills fan.
Sarcasm, it's a TBD mainstay.

#11 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

If the Packers can make a roster mistake, then certainly Buddy can be forgiven for an entire roster--it's basically the same thing.   I mean this proves nobody's perfect, right?

Right?

#12 MarkKelso'sHelmet

MarkKelso'sHelmet

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

hahaha, you're right, all teams are the same, and nobody is better than the bills.  it's just a coincidence that we've lost 13 years in a row.  we are just as good as the steelers, the pats, the ravens, and the packers. you're trying way too hard man...

#13 Tcali

Tcali

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostCoach Tuesday, on 25 March 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

What about an all-fallible organization?  Seems like that's what we have here.  The NFL has structured things in such a way that to pull off the string of failure that the Bills have is quite an impressive feat.  They are amazing at sucking.

So true. What the Bills have accomplished in a league that is about as economically fair as you can get is extraordinary.

#14 Dibs

Dibs

    Myth Buster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostBest Player Available, on 25 March 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

originally reported at 27.5 mil for 4 years. The News then changed the number (Gaughlin). Who knows. He's overpaid
Next time I'll check before hurting peoples feelings. Sorry.

Sarcasm, it's a TBD mainstay.

For those interested.....
Anderson only had a 3.5m cap hit last season.......and has a 4.5m cap hit this season.

#15 TheFunPolice

TheFunPolice

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

The Bills haven't been to the playoffs since 1999.

That's probably less likely than getting to a Super Bowl in that time period.

#16 Dibs

Dibs

    Myth Buster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostTheFunPolice, on 26 March 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

The Bills haven't been to the playoffs since 1999.

That's probably less likely than getting to a Super Bowl in that time period.

All things being equal.....over the past 13 seasons(2000-2012)....

The odds....

That an individual team makes at least one Super Bowl = 56.8%  (1 in 1.76)

That an individual team misses the playoffs every year = 0.2%  (1 in 450)


This would have to be one of the most depressing stats I have every figured. :cry:

Edited by Dibs, 26 March 2013 - 08:59 AM.


#17 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,197 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

The inference that Finley's contract blunder is somehow a pass for our FO is strange to me.

The point was to look at his number and go "wow, that sucks."

Instead, I created the latest FO stitch 'n bitch. Oh well, with four weeks until the draft, with a tight-lipped new HC and with a 13 year QB/playoff-less run one should expect the TBD content to oscillate closely between "we suck" and "here are the top 15 QB's I want."

#18 Cash

Cash

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostDibs, on 26 March 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

All things being equal.....over the past 13 seasons(2000-2012)....

The odds....

That an individual team makes at least one Super Bowl = 56.8%  (1 in 1.76)

That an individual team misses the playoffs every year = 0.2%  (1 in 450)


This would have to be one of the most depressing stats I have every figured. :cry:

Yeah, pretty much.  As to the original post, I don't care for it.  Yeah, no one's perfect.  So what?  I'm supposed to feel better about the sad-sack Bills because the eternally-good Packers are overpaying for their TE this year?  Is that the equalizer that's going to put our teams on the same level?  Besides, if Finley ever fixes his dropsies, he'll actually be worth that paycheck.  And if he doesn't, they'll just cut him next year.  Big whoop.

View PosttaC giB ehT, on 26 March 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

The inference that Finley's contract blunder is somehow a pass for our FO is strange to me.

The point was to look at his number and go "wow, that sucks."

Instead, I created the latest FO stitch 'n bitch. Oh well, with four weeks until the draft, with a tight-lipped new HC and with a 13 year QB/playoff-less run one should expect the TBD content to oscillate closely between "we suck" and "here are the top 15 QB's I want."

I think you might have found a different reaction to your OP if it had been titled differently.  As it stood, many of us (me included) interpreted it as meaning something along the lines of, "see, the Bills aren't so bad, even the Packers screw up sometimes!"  My apologies for misreading your intent, but I do think the subject line was misleading in that regard.

#19 Sisyphean Bills

Sisyphean Bills

    Trusst Brandon

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostCash, on 26 March 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I think you might have found a different reaction to your OP if it had been titled differently.  As it stood, many of us (me included) interpreted it as meaning something along the lines of, "see, the Bills aren't so bad, even the Packers screw up sometimes!"  My apologies for misreading your intent, but I do think the subject line was misleading in that regard.

True.  A thread title like "nobody's perfect" is a segue for a following excuse.  "Nobody is perfect, dad.  I didn't mean to wrap your car around the tree last night after abstaining at the party."

At any rate, the Packers possibly overpaying Finley does nothing to make me feel the Bills have improved their roster.

#20 eball

eball

    Omar Sly

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,795 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostBest Player Available, on 25 March 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

Yea, the Packers aren't as savvy as Nix, overpaying get a DE (Anderson) for 8 mil. And, then you got the punt catcher
Brad Smith. And how about stealing the other punt catcher McClovin? Good thing were not the Packers

Smith does have 6 TDs in his two seasons here (3 receiving, 2 rushing, 1 return), and McLovin is probably the most explosive return man in the game in addition to being a valuable DB.  Another poster commented on the true cap hit for Anderson, which is half of what you suggest.

But carry on, by all means.