Jump to content


Poll, Is there a Franchise QB in this year's draft


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Is there a Franchise QB in this years draft? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Is there a Franchise QB in this years draft?

  1. Yes, I definitely think there is one (49 votes [71.01%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 71.01%

  2. No, The choices this year will probably be average at best (20 votes [28.99%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 28.99%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 simpleman

simpleman

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

The question is do you take a QB with the 8th pick in the draft if you are not very sure he will become your Franchise QB?

Do you think there is a legitimate Franchise QB in this years draft? Who?

Edited by simpleman, 03 April 2013 - 10:15 AM.


#2 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,875 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think that one of them will become a franchise QB but I also have no idea, or even inkling, as to which of them it will be. I think perhaps that should be a third option in your poll. So I probably wouldn't draft a guy at #8 because I would not have a strong feeling I knew which of them was the one.

I think Manuel has the highest upside but is the most raw. Geno probably, maybe, might, have the biggest chance at being the franchise guy. Nassib has a small chance but has to be considered. Barkley may have the best shot of being a Matt Hasselback in his prime kind of player. Wilson has a 6.21% chance.

#3 jr1

jr1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Erik James Manuel

#4 Trader

Trader

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

My answer is: "Perhaps", written with a total lack of conviction.   Worse than that even if there is a, "franchise" QB in this draft I don't see any of them defeating Kappnernick, RG3,  Luck, or Russell Wilson in a playoff game in the next 7-8 years.

#5 H2o

H2o

    2014 - The Year of the Buffalo Bills

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I say no, but no one knows for sure. I say there is no clear cut prospect that fits that bill.

#6 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,406 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostTrader, on 03 April 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

My answer is: "Perhaps", written with a total lack of conviction.   Worse than that even if there is a, "franchise" QB in this draft I don't see any of them defeating Kappnernick, RG3,  Luck, or Russell Wilson in a playoff game in the next 7-8 years.

You mean beat 2nd rounder Karpernick or 3rd rounder Russell Wilson? Or Joe Flacco,18 overall from Delaware beating Luck, Peyton, & Brady (6th round) on the way to winning a SB?

Point is, these "experts" don't know crap. A lot of teams don't know crap. But odds are, there is at least on franchise qb in this draft. I'm not 100% sure who it is but I know you definitely aren't going to find one if you don't draft once because you are waiting for the good class next year or you have Kevin Kolb.

#7 Cash

Cash

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yes, and I think his name is Geno Smith.  I'm not super confident in that statement, but outside of extremely-rare prospects like Luck or RG3 or Peyton or Elway, you can't be very confident in any prospect's ability to become a franchise QB.  Smith's resume is good enough for me to be comfortable with that risk at #8, but no one else's is.

#8 Dorkington

Dorkington

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

No clue who, but I feel like chances are there is someone who will become a franchise QB.

#9 1billsfan

1billsfan

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,455 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Looking at the landscape of the AFC, once Brady and Manning retire you have Luck, Flacco and a more and more frequently broken down Rothlesberger as the top QBs in what will be a weak conference in the next decade.

It's not like the NFC which is loaded with great QBs. So the prospect of getting potential franchise QB talents like Smith, Manuel or Scott would be very promising for hopes of the Buffalo Bills returning to the Superbowl. I could see any of those three guys taking the Bills to the Superbowl in the soon to be very weak AFC. Then once you get in, you never know...

#10 KeisterHollow

KeisterHollow

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

So many people are saying what a poor QB class this is - I don't think it is bad at all.  I've been following the Bills for more than 20 years, and I've been closely following the draft, the players coming out, for at least 15 years.  There have been weak QB classes - the Clausen class was pretty weak.  However, I really think Luck, RGIII, and Wilson coming out last year and doing so well has skewed the perception of this class.  There doesn't appear to be an elite QB like that coming out, but I think some of these guys could end up being as good as Wilson, or Tannehill, and better than Dalton, in a few years.

I've been saying for months that Barkley is already good enough to be a franchise QB.  His arm is no worse than Tom Brady's coming out of college, and Brady has never had a tough time in the cold north.  I still believe if Buffalo has a shot at Barkley - who I think will be the first QB taken - they'll run to the podium.

Geno has all the physical tools, but you've got to question his intelligence.  If he has enough of a mind for the game, and can read defenses, he'll end up being a franchise QB, too.

Manuel could end up being very good.  Nassib has everything you want in a QB, except his accuracy is a little questionable.  If he can fix it, he'll end up being a solid starter.

Then there are guys like Wilson and Glennon who have shown they can win, and their arms are good enough.  A lot of it depends on where they end up, but there will be, I believe, at least 3 QB's in this draft who end up being good NFL starters, and probably 1 or 2 who end up considered top 12 in a few years.  That's my opinion - and I'll see if I'm right come draft day, because if these guys are as decent as I think you'll see 6 of them gone by the end of the 2nd round.  And that'll still leave guys like Dysert, Scott, and the unheralded guys like Rodgers going in the later rounds.

#11 HoF Watkins

HoF Watkins

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Is there a guy in this draft that will lead a team to 2 consecutive playoffs wins at some point in his career? I think so.

Is it worthwhile to try and find a guy in this draft that can do it? YES!

Will Fitz ever do that? No.

Will Kolb? No.

#12 Dean Cain

Dean Cain

    DAS AUTO

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Great question. I'd make the argument there must be given the fact that there are 32 teams in need of QBs there can't just be one franchise QB per year.

An even better question would be does our organization have the infrastructure to develop a franchise QB? Infrastructure as in competent FO, HC, ASTC, support from owner and/or president.

#13 OldTimer1960

OldTimer1960

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

What is the definition of a franchise QB?  Is it someone from this draft who be given a couple years as a starter, but fail to prove himself (as it looks like Blaine Gabbert is doing)?

Is it someone who is an adequate middle of the NFL starter for 5 or more years?  (Think someone like Matt Hasselback in his prime)

Or is it that rare QB who starts for 5+ years and you are not thinking about trying to find someone better (ex: Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers...)

#14 1billsfan

1billsfan

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,455 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostOldTimer1960, on 03 April 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

What is the definition of a franchise QB?  Is it someone from this draft who be given a couple years as a starter, but fail to prove himself (as it looks like Blaine Gabbert is doing)?

Is it someone who is an adequate middle of the NFL starter for 5 or more years?  (Think someone like Matt Hasselback in his prime)

Or is it that rare QB who starts for 5+ years and you are not thinking about trying to find someone better (ex: Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers...)

I think the baseline for the "franchise QB" label are QBs like McNair, McNabb, Rivers and Romo. Guys who have the ability to carry a franchise, but aren't necessarily in the "elite" category.

IMO Hasselback was a good QB, yet I never thought of as a franchise level QB.

Edited by 1billsfan, 03 April 2013 - 05:31 PM.


#15 bananathumb

bananathumb

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Manuel has best chance of being a Flacco.  But no guarantees.  The others...all late rounders.

#16 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostKeisterHollow, on 03 April 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

So many people are saying what a poor QB class this is - I don't think it is bad at all.  I've been following the Bills for more than 20 years, and I've been closely following the draft, the players coming out, for at least 15 years.  There have been weak QB classes - the Clausen class was pretty weak.  However, I really think Luck, RGIII, and Wilson coming out last year and doing so well has skewed the perception of this class.  There doesn't appear to be an elite QB like that coming out, but I think some of these guys could end up being as good as Wilson, or Tannehill, and better than Dalton, in a few years.

I've been saying for months that Barkley is already good enough to be a franchise QB.  His arm is no worse than Tom Brady's coming out of college, and Brady has never had a tough time in the cold north.  I still believe if Buffalo has a shot at Barkley - who I think will be the first QB taken - they'll run to the podium.

Geno has all the physical tools, but you've got to question his intelligence.  If he has enough of a mind for the game, and can read defenses, he'll end up being a franchise QB, too.

Manuel could end up being very good.  Nassib has everything you want in a QB, except his accuracy is a little questionable.  If he can fix it, he'll end up being a solid starter.

Then there are guys like Wilson and Glennon who have shown they can win, and their arms are good enough.  A lot of it depends on where they end up, but there will be, I believe, at least 3 QB's in this draft who end up being good NFL starters, and probably 1 or 2 who end up considered top 12 in a few years.  That's my opinion - and I'll see if I'm right come draft day, because if these guys are as decent as I think you'll see 6 of them gone by the end of the 2nd round.  And that'll still leave guys like Dysert, Scott, and the unheralded guys like Rodgers going in the later rounds.

I agree that the expectations for QB classes appear to be out-of-whack.  

It is easier to play QB in the NFL now than ever and the guys coming in are far more prepared than they have ever been.

The rising tide is raising all ships, to the point where you can have a QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick who thows 25 TD's but is actually a bottom 5 of the league QB.

I think there are a lot of potentially very good QB's in this draft.

On a side note, I think that the sudden hyper-enforcement of penalties and fines for hits to QB's and receivers actually worked to Fitz' disadvantage.  It really dumbed-down the mental requirements of the QB position while also giving protection to fragile QB's.....which Fitz is certainly not.  Chris Chandler and Chris Miller would have been franchise QB's in this era.

#17 first_and_ten

first_and_ten

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

I would have to think somone in this draft will rise up and be a great pro. I'm not a guy who studies college football that closely, but am I wrong to think that someone rises every year?

#18 jeremy2020

jeremy2020

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

'Franchise' is a broad term.

#19 simpleman

simpleman

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Franchise to me would mean that the player has unique talent among NFL QBs. He has all the tangibles and intangibles it takes to be a superior QB for years to come, not just a quick shot at the playoffs.
Of recently drafted QBs I would say that Luck & RGIII have highest potential to be Franchise QBs. They have all the tools and have shown them on the playing field. As impressed as I was with Wilson, he might become one. Kaepernick might be. Time will tell. The Panthers hope Newton actually is one. Miami is taking a huge leap of faith that Tannehill might become one. Thank God it was Jags and not us that thought Gabbert was a Franchise QB. I was so relieved the Bills took Dareus when Miller was gone.
A Franchise QB has the physical and mental skills to excel at QB in the NFL. He has the personality, leadership skills and work ethic to do what it takes to take the team to the big dance, hopefully more than once. He is someone your team plans their next 5 to 10 years around. When you draft someone for the offense the first thing you consider is, how does he make your QB and your team better? You draft future players, release players, sign FAs, all based around your QB. Your offensive system revolves around getting the most out of his strengths and avoiding his weaknesses.
A QB can be an average QB and still not be a Franchise QB. He can be a caretaker, he can be good at avoiding mistakes that hold your team back. He can play not to loose and let the other Franchise players at other positions on the team do their job and propel your team toward the playoffs. He can possibly even win a few games for you and take you to the playoffs. He could even help a good team overall squeak into the SB. But you don’t depend on him to play at that top level year after year. You just expect him to not loose games for you. You don’t build an offensive system or draft/sign players for the future based on him being there. That is the difference to me between a passable NFL QB and a Franchise QB.

#20 Bills Fan888

Bills Fan888

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostC.Biscuit97, on 03 April 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

You mean beat 2nd rounder Karpernick or 3rd rounder Russell Wilson? Or Joe Flacco,18 overall from Delaware beating Luck, Peyton, & Brady (6th round) on the way to winning a SB?

Point is, these "experts" don't know crap. A lot of teams don't know crap. But odds are, there is at least on franchise qb in this draft. I'm not 100% sure who it is but I know you definitely aren't going to find one if you don't draft once because you are waiting for the good class next year or you have Kevin Kolb.
The 2002, 2003, and 2007 drafts all had no franchise QB's and plenty more had only one player turn out. It's not like you're guaranteed a franchise QB. If you look at a lot of these drafts, only the QB drafted number 1 overall turns out and more often than not you need a top 10 talent to have a starter. We can try to get lucky in the 2nd or 3rd this year and try to find our Andy Dalton in someone like Nassib or diamond in the rough like Matt Scott, but besides possibly Geno Smith, I don't know if there's any franchise QB's this year.