Jump to content


A Few Thoughts About The "Best Player Available".....


  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Bill from NYC

Bill from NYC

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,677 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

I am NOT an advocate of this type of draft philosophy. Some positions (obviously QB) mean much more than others.
If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8.. Kolb hopefully will provide a window of time to do this.

The above said, DJ Fluker, imho, will be the best RT since Erik Williams. Yes, I said this. I have never, ever seen a RT coming out of college who looks as good as this kid. People on Sirius say he can play LT but ino that would be dumb. The kid is a monster RT. I like Warmack a ton at guard, but Fluker is just an insane RT.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a position of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.
AND, they could probably trade down and do this.

Edited by Bill from NYC, 05 April 2013 - 07:34 PM.


#2 mjt328

mjt328

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

Best player available should always be balanced with positional importance, supply & demand and team needs.

Last year, most rankings had Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson and David DeCastro listed as the best overall players in the draft.  But the Colts and Redskins would have been nuts to pass on Luck or RG3.

#3 OldTimer1960

OldTimer1960

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Fluker is interesting, but don't they already "have him" in Cordy Glenn?  I could see Lane Johnson to play LT and move Glenn to RT - then I think they'd have both good run and pass blocking.  

I am not a fan of Tyler Bray.  He didn't light it up with two outstanding WRs in college.  It is hard for me to project success for him in the NFL where he'll face better competition with likely less at WR than he had at Tennessee.

#4 ExWNYer

ExWNYer

    Hopeful Bills romantic at heart...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostBill from NYC, on 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

I am NOT an advocate of this type of draft philosophy. Some positions (obviously QB) mean much more than others.
If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8.. Kolb hopefully will provide a window of time to do this.

The above said, DJ Fluker, imho, will be the best RT since Erik Williams. Yes, I said this. I have never, ever seen a RT coming out of college who looks as good as this kid. People on Sirius say he can play LT but ino that would be dumb. The kid is a monster RT. I like Warmack a ton at guard, but Fluker is just an insane RT.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a positio of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.
AND, they could probably trade down and do this.
1) I agree with you on Pears.

2) Please have someone video you when the Bills are on the clock in the 1st Round and post it here. If they take a DB early, I want to see the carnage as your head explodes. That would be sooooooooooooooo cool! :death: :w00t: :nana:  :lol:

Edited by ExWNYer, 05 April 2013 - 07:36 PM.


#5 ny33

ny33

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

View Postmjt328, on 05 April 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Best player available should always be balanced with positional importance, supply & demand and team needs.

Last year, most rankings had Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson and David DeCastro listed as the best overall players in the draft.  But the Colts and Redskins would have been nuts to pass on Luck or RG3.

Those rankings were wrong, then. In terms of their abilities at their respective positions and their overall impact on the game, RG3 and Luck were certainly better than Richardson and (injured for most of the season) Decastro.

That being said, I think it was the consensus last year that RG3 and Luck were truly special QB talents, unlike anyone coming out this year.

#6 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostBill from NYC, on 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

I am NOT an advocate of this type of draft philosophy. Some positions (obviously QB) mean much more than others.
If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8.. Kolb hopefully will provide a window of time to do this.

The above said, DJ Fluker, imho, will be the best RT since Erik Williams. Yes, I said this. I have never, ever seen a RT coming out of college who looks as good as this kid. People on Sirius say he can play LT but ino that would be dumb. The kid is a monster RT. I like Warmack a ton at guard, but Fluker is just an insane RT.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a positio of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.
AND, they could probably trade down and do this.

If there is a year to trade down and acquire more picks this is the year to do it. But is the staid GM going to act out of character and exercise some flexibility in this draft? His old school approach is sufficating this franchise.

How would you compare Fluker with Andre Smith, another very big  Crimson Tide lineman?

With respect to the qb prospects in this draft I am baffled. There are so many conflicting reports that it is difficult to get a clear assessment on this qb class. If I had to venture a guess the Bills are going to draft a qb who is suited for the westcoast offense. It that is the case then that leans toward Barkley and Nassib being selected. Don't besurprised if Nix ends up with Tyler Wilson in the second round. Nix has a bias for the southern boys from the SEC. From what I have read Marrone favors Barkley.

#7 Bill from NYC

Bill from NYC

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,677 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostExWNYer, on 05 April 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

1) I agree with you on Pears.

2) Please have someone video you when the Bills are on the clock in the 1st Round and post it here. If they take a DB early, I want to see the carnage as your head explodes. That would be sooooooooooooooo cool! :death: :w00t: :nana:  :lol:

My worst meltdown was the 2006 draft. Taking Whitner sent me over the edge.The A. Williams selection was the most angry I have been since then.
Now, I expect idiocy. Sad but true.

View PostJohnC, on 05 April 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

If there is a year to trade down and acquire more picks this is the year to do it. But is the staid GM going to act out of character and exercise some flexibility in this draft? His old school approach is sufficating this franchise.

How would you compare Fluker with Andre Smith, another very big  Crimson Tide lineman?

Fluker is stronger, in better condition, and a MUCH harder worker. The kid can take over a game. Spiller, your favorite lol, would have literal truck sized holes on the right side. John, please watch tape if any exists and you tell me.

#8 JohnC

JohnC

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostBill from NYC, on 05 April 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

My worst meltdown was the 2006 draft. Taking Whitner sent me over the edge.The A. Williams selection was the most angry I have been since then.
Now, I expect idiocy. Sad but true.



Fluker is stronger, in better condition, and a MUCH harder worker. The kid can take over a game. Spiller, your favorite lol, would have literal truck sized holes on the right side. John, please watch tape if any exists and you tell me.

At a later time I will watch some tape of him. What I can say now is that last year's  Alabama OL is the best college line I have ever seen. They were big, tough, mobile and were smart. When they played Notre Dame it was men against boys.

#9 K-9

K-9

    Long Timer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostJohnC, on 05 April 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

At a later time I will watch some tape of him. What I can say now is that last year's  Alabama OL is the best college line I have ever seen. They were big, tough, mobile and were smart. When they played Notre Dame it was men against boys.

The heck with the ND game. Did you see 'Bama play against Georgia in the SEC title game? They made a better defense than ND look even sillier. 350 yards rushing? That's shades of Nebraska running over Cal-Poly Pamona back in the day. Seriously, that line could enter the NFL intact and hold their own, especially from G to G. Some of the best interior OL play I've seen in years.

GO BILLS!!!

#10 SoulMan

SoulMan

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Bills have so many needs, BPA is the only strategy.


That and red helmets.

#11 mjt328

mjt328

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

View Postny33, on 05 April 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:



Those rankings were wrong, then. In terms of their abilities at their respective positions and their overall impact on the game, RG3 and Luck were certainly better than Richardson and (injured for most of the season) Decastro.

That being said, I think it was the consensus last year that RG3 and Luck were truly special QB talents, unlike anyone coming out this year.

That's exactly my point.  You can't compare the impact a QB has on the game to a guard.

If we draft a QB and hit a homerun, we are back in the playoffs.  We draft Warmack and hit a homerun, our team is slightly better than last season with Levitre.

#12 jjmac

jjmac

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostBill from NYC, on 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

I am NOT an advocate of this type of draft philosophy. Some positions (obviously QB) mean much more than others.
If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8.. Kolb hopefully will provide a window of time to do this.

The above said, DJ Fluker, imho, will be the best RT since Erik Williams. Yes, I said this. I have never, ever seen a RT coming out of college who looks as good as this kid. People on Sirius say he can play LT but ino that would be dumb. The kid is a monster RT. I like Warmack a ton at guard, but Fluker is just an insane RT.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a position of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.
AND, they could probably trade down and do this.

View PostBill from NYC, on 05 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

I am NOT an advocate of this type of draft philosophy. Some positions (obviously QB) mean much more than others.
If the Bills think that there is a qb in this draft who can develop into a top 10 qb, they should grab him at #8.. Kolb hopefully will provide a window of time to do this.

The above said, DJ Fluker, imho, will be the best RT since Erik Williams. Yes, I said this. I have never, ever seen a RT coming out of college who looks as good as this kid. People on Sirius say he can play LT but ino that would be dumb. The kid is a monster RT. I like Warmack a ton at guard, but Fluker is just an insane RT.

Btw, I think more of Pears than the average Bills Fan. He can play, and is especially good (when healthy) on running plays. I know that RT isn't a position of need on the Bills. I get it. But a draft in rounds 1 and 2 of Fluker/Bray would work for me.
AND, they could probably trade down and do this.


When we drafted Spiller, he was BPA. Did we need him?  On paper, no.  Aren't you glad he's on the roster now?

#13 ny33

ny33

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

View Postmjt328, on 05 April 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

That's exactly my point.  You can't compare the impact a QB has on the game to a guard.

If we draft a QB and hit a homerun, we are back in the playoffs.  We draft Warmack and hit a homerun, our team is slightly better than last season with Levitre.

Right. I'm also saying that even Warmack isn't necessarily a home-run; "safe" prospects are often busts, or don't become stars. Richardson had an average year last year, and RB is the most overrated position in the league (a first-round starting RB hasn't been to the Super Bowl in years).

#14 Bill from NYC

Bill from NYC

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,677 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

View Postjjmac, on 06 April 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

When we drafted Spiller, he was BPA. Did we need him?  On paper, no.  Aren't you glad he's on the roster now?

He is exciting to watch and a very good player, but not necessarily a great selection.

#15 jjmac

jjmac

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostBill from NYC, on 06 April 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:



He is exciting to watch and a very good player, but not necessarily a great selection.

Looking back on that draft, would you have selected someone else?

#16 Nanker

Nanker

    Blls Nation Unite!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

DJ Fluker Draft Profile:



#17 K-9

K-9

    Long Timer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostNanker, on 06 April 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

DJ Fluker Draft Profile:



I tried to concentrate solely on Fluker but my eyes kept shifting to Warmack while I watched. What a player.

Seriously though, Fluker will make some team happy for a long time.

GO BILLS!!!

#18 Beerball

Beerball

    Things happen...

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,512 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

View Postjjmac, on 06 April 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

When we drafted Spiller, he was BPA. Did we need him?  On paper, no.  Aren't you glad he's on the roster now?
A devil's advocate would ask you how many playoff wins Spiller has produced, and he/she might also wonder how many more years he will be productive. Will he be productive when the Bills are a playoff team? Will he still be on the roster?

The Bills drafting Spiller and switching to the 3/4 at the same time set the franchise back 5 years.

Do I love watching him run the ball? Absolutely I do, but it's about winning.

#19 jjmac

jjmac

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostBeerball, on 06 April 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

A devil's advocate would ask you how many playoff wins Spiller has produced, and he/she might also wonder how many more years he will be productive. Will he be productive when the Bills are a playoff team? Will he still be on the roster?

The Bills drafting Spiller and switching to the 3/4 at the same time set the franchise back 5 years.

Do I love watching him run the ball? Absolutely I do, but it's about winning.

In this QB drive league, I would say our situation at that position has had more to do with our January vacations.  Spiller is a dynamic playmaker, and I for one am really, really glad he was on the roster when Fredex went down.

#20 Beerball

Beerball

    Things happen...

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,512 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

View Postjjmac, on 06 April 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

In this QB drive league, I would say our situation at that position has had more to do with our January vacations.  Spiller is a dynamic playmaker, and I for one am really, really glad he was on the roster when Fredex went down.
True, I don't know if Lynch could have carried the load without him. (still in devil's advocate mode)