Jump to content


Top 4 needs according to Buddy


  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 freester

freester

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

QB, WR, TE,CB

After listening to all the buddy interviews he seems to feel our roster is OK at G and LB. ( LB likely now includes Mark Anderson and Mario Williams as 3-4 pass rushers)  I think these will be the positions of our top 4 picks.  No doubt QB at 8 (Nassib or Barkley)  then WR, CB,TE not necessarily in that order.

#2 Green Lightning

Green Lightning

    Mr. Peanut

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Looking like it.  I'm not unhappy with that strategy. I read a lot of posts saying no way on picking a quarterback at number 8. I say if they like a guy and think he could be our franchise guy then screw draftnics and pick him. Let's get a damn quarterback in here.

#3 KeisterHollow

KeisterHollow

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

I think QB at 8, but between 2-4 I believe we'll get TE, LB, and either WR or CB.  Those 3 picks are going to largely depend on which talents are available.  If, for instance, Ertz is available in RD 2, it'd be hard for Buffalo to pass on that.  If not, I could see them taking one of the top ILB prospect and going TE in RD 3 with a guy like McDonald.  CB and WR look like mid round picks - there'll be guys available in the 4-6 rounds who will have the size/speed combo that will be appealing.  Having McKelvin and Easley take a little pressure off, I think, of Nix and Co. to have to go high round picks with either WR or CB.  If a real talent falls, sure, they might go that way, but I think they're also likely to take a mid-round flyer on a smaller school prospect or a guy who might have fallen further than they'd of projected.

#4 Kirby Jackson

Kirby Jackson

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

I am not a big fan of QB at 8 because I don't thing that there is a QB worthy of the 8th pick. My thinking is that you are married to this guy for at least a few years. I am really high on next years class and you are not going to pick QB in the 1st in back to back years with the same staff. If you end up with the next Blaine Gabbert you will miss out on some franchise type guys next year and be further from good than you are now.

If you took a QB at 41 and he didn't work out you could go QB next year in the first.

#5 eball

eball

    Omar Sly

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostKirby Jackson, on 17 April 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

I am not a big fan of QB at 8 because I don't thing that there is a QB worthy of the 8th pick. My thinking is that you are married to this guy for at least a few years. I am really high on next years class and you are not going to pick QB in the 1st in back to back years with the same staff. If you end up with the next Blaine Gabbert you will miss out on some franchise type guys next year and be further from good than you are now.

If you took a QB at 41 and he didn't work out you could go QB next year in the first.

It's all subjective, and the draftniks' opinions really don't matter one bit.  If the Bills like a guy as a potential franchise QB, and he's there at #8, they should take him.  No questions asked.  It's time to stop being afraid of being wrong.

#6 freester

freester

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostKirby Jackson, on 17 April 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

I am not a big fan of QB at 8 because I don't thing that there is a QB worthy of the 8th pick. My thinking is that you are married to this guy for at least a few years. I am really high on next years class and you are not going to pick QB in the 1st in back to back years with the same staff. If you end up with the next Blaine Gabbert you will miss out on some franchise type guys next year and be further from good than you are now.

If you took a QB at 41 and he didn't work out you could go QB next year in the first.

While I agree with you completely,  I am quite certain the bills will take a QB at eight.  I think the smartest move would be to trade down.

#7 Coach Tuesday

Coach Tuesday

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

I kind of wish Buddy would shut his mouth.  While I often appreciate his honesty, and it makes it more fun as a fan to have an indication about what their strategy will be, it's free information that he gives out to his competitors.  I find it stupid.

#8 eball

eball

    Omar Sly

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostCoach Tuesday, on 17 April 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

I kind of wish Buddy would shut his mouth.  While I often appreciate his honesty, and it makes it more fun as a fan to have an indication about what their strategy will be, it's free information that he gives out to his competitors.  I find it stupid.

I think all of us put more stock into it than the other teams do.  Seriously.  And Brandon would certainly sit Buddy down and tell him to shut up if that wasn't the case.

#9 Brainiac21

Brainiac21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

View Postfreester, on 17 April 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

QB, WR, TE,CB

After listening to all the buddy interviews he seems to feel our roster is OK at G and LB. ( LB likely now includes Mark Anderson and Mario Williams as 3-4 pass rushers)  I think these will be the positions of our top 4 picks.  No doubt QB at 8 (Nassib or Barkley)  then WR, CB,TE not necessarily in that order.
absolutely corret, and i think it probably IS in that order.  they didn't really hint at OT in this interview, but going from the past, i doubt they are looking at that.

#10 Haven Moses

Haven Moses

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

All this means is that our #1 pick will be OL or LB.

#11 Brainiac21

Brainiac21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

View Posteball, on 17 April 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

I think all of us put more stock into it than the other teams do.  Seriously.  And Brandon would certainly sit Buddy down and tell him to shut up if that wasn't the case.
i dunno... i got the feeling that he gives away more than he intends quite often and had visions of them being grateful for the day they can remove his mouth from the podium.  i think you can take a lot from what he says, more than you should.

#12 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Does everyone trust the coaches and scouts to make the right decision after they've met with, interviewed, worked out and evaluated all the quarterbacks they're interested in? I do.

#13 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,068 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Postfreester, on 17 April 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

QB, WR, TE,CB

After listening to all the buddy interviews he seems to feel our roster is OK at G and LB. ( LB likely now includes Mark Anderson and Mario Williams as 3-4 pass rushers)  I think these will be the positions of our top 4 picks.  No doubt QB at 8 (Nassib or Barkley)  then WR, CB,TE not necessarily in that order.

1. His comments lead me to believe that they either (a) really trust Colin Brown or David Snow to win the LG spot, or (b) plan to move either Hairston or Sanders to LG
2. He also said that the team won't reach for a need, so to me, that says QB at 8 isn't a lock

View PostCoach Tuesday, on 17 April 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

I kind of wish Buddy would shut his mouth.  While I often appreciate his honesty, and it makes it more fun as a fan to have an indication about what their strategy will be, it's free information that he gives out to his competitors.  I find it stupid.

I hear you, but he's certainly not bound by his word to draft those positions.  I mean, in the same quote he did say that you can't rule out G at 8 because of how good those guys are.

View PostHaven Moses, on 17 April 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

All this means is that our #1 pick will be OL or LB.

Not if you look at Nix's draft history

#14 Kirby Jackson

Kirby Jackson

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

View Posteball, on 17 April 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:



It's all subjective, and the draftniks' opinions really don't matter one bit.  If the Bills like a guy as a potential franchise QB, and he's there at #8, they should take him.  No questions asked.  It's time to stop being afraid of being wrong.

I guess that if I am looking for a franchise QB at 8 I am looking for a safe pick. I'm not saying that Andrew Luck's are easy to come by but there was no chance of him being a bust. I feel like in this class there will be a couple of these guys that can play and a couple of disasters. If you are wrong it sets you back much further. There are a few in next years class that I think are safer. If they go QB at 8 you can forget about those guys next year even if the guy we draft is a dumpster fire. I would like to get someone in the 2nd and if he isn't the franchise guy capitalize next year.

#15 BuffaloRebound

BuffaloRebound

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostBrainiac21, on 17 April 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

i dunno... i got the feeling that he gives away more than he intends quite often and had visions of them being grateful for the day they can remove his mouth from the podium.  i think you can take a lot from what he says, more than you should.

Agreed.  Only thing I felt they were not being honest about was their interest in Austin.  No doubt they like his abilities, but I think he'd be duplicative with Spiller.  What I gathered from yesterday is they're gonna take a QB in the 1st round, preferrably after a trade down.  The whole thing about Kaepernick and Wilson being top 5 picks if they came out now was a dead give-away.  Then I expect a big WR/TE or DB if one falls in the 2nd.

#16 johnnywo

johnnywo

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostKirby Jackson, on 17 April 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

I am not a big fan of QB at 8 because I don't thing that there is a QB worthy of the 8th pick. My thinking is that you are married to this guy for at least a few years. I am really high on next years class and you are not going to pick QB in the 1st in back to back years with the same staff. If you end up with the next Blaine Gabbert you will miss out on some franchise type guys next year and be further from good than you are now.

If you took a QB at 41 and he didn't work out you could go QB next year in the first.

We knew Blaine Gabbert would fail.... well....just because his name is Blaine. Same way Geno will fail....Sometimes you can tell they will be TURRIBLE just by their name... :w00t:

#17 eball

eball

    Omar Sly

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostKirby Jackson, on 17 April 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

I guess that if I am looking for a franchise QB at 8 I am looking for a safe pick. I'm not saying that Andrew Luck's are easy to come by but there was no chance of him being a bust. I feel like in this class there will be a couple of these guys that can play and a couple of disasters. If you are wrong it sets you back much further. There are a few in next years class that I think are safer. If they go QB at 8 you can forget about those guys next year even if the guy we draft is a dumpster fire. I would like to get someone in the 2nd and if he isn't the franchise guy capitalize next year.

I hear you, but don't you agree if the Bills believe a guy is a franchise QB there is no reason to wait?  They have thoroughly evaluated ALL of the QBs coming out.

View Postjohnnywo, on 17 April 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

We knew Blaine Gabbert would fail.... well....just because his name is Blaine. Same way Geno will fail....Sometimes you can tell they will be TURRIBLE just by their name... :w00t:

Very true, Mr. Barkley.

#18 billsfan_34

billsfan_34

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostGreen Lightning, on 17 April 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Looking like it.  I'm not unhappy with that strategy. I read a lot of posts saying no way on picking a quarterback at number 8. I say if they like a guy and think he could be our franchise guy then screw draftnics and pick him. Let's get a damn quarterback in here.
Damn right......let's get a Qb and quit messin around

#19 kasper13

kasper13

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

I don't know why they still let Buddy Nix do anything. He's just not a good GM. Deep down inside, don't we all know they will blow this draft? What they should have done is trade the 8th and get extra picks. If they take a QB at 8th, that is just a bad pick, Buddy says they have 6 guards. Any of them any good? Better than Warmack? Nobody wants the 8th overall pick? Then just take best available. Too many questions. Too many holes to fill. Not enough quality starters let alone depth. Huge question at QB...still. That's a bunch of big problems.

#20 JPS

JPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostGreen Lightning, on 17 April 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Looking like it.  I'm not unhappy with that strategy. I read a lot of posts saying no way on picking a quarterback at number 8. I say if they like a guy and think he could be our franchise guy then screw draftnics and pick him. Let's get a damn quarterback in here.
He did say that we will find out whether he was worth the 8th pick in 2-3 years.  He's going to take a lot of heat if it's Nassib.