Jump to content


Bill Polian's top 4 qualities in a franchise QB


  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 the skycap

the skycap

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

1) Arm Strength
2) Accuracy
3) Ability to process information
4) Clutch performer

Which QB in this draft possess all or many of these qualities?

#2 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Postthe skycap, on 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

1) Arm Strength
2) Accuracy
3) Ability to process information
4) Clutch performer

Which QB in this draft possess all or many of these qualities?

EJM

#3 Bangarang

Bangarang

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Nassib

He also doesn't wear sleeves regardless of how cold it is. Kid was government engineered to play for the Bills.

#4 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,316 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

None of them really have shown to be clutch performers, despite things like Manuel winning his bowl games.

I hate to say this, but Ryan Nassib probably has the most of all of those players if the four criterion were given equal credence.

#5 Stenbar

Stenbar

    SuperGenious

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

According to that segment where you received your information Landry Jones is the closest to his requirements..Ill go with Mr. Polian and his selection of qbs over anyone else......

#6 Dr. Trooth

Dr. Trooth

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

#3 on the list is hands down and over the top in Nassib's favor... and it ain't close for 2nd place.

Edited by Dr. Trooth, 17 April 2013 - 05:30 PM.


#7 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,316 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostDr. Trooth, on 17 April 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

#3 on the list is hands down and over the top in Nassib's favor... and it ain't close for 2nd place.
Barkley is very highly regarded in that part of his game. You're letting your bias get away with you saying it ain't close.

#8 the skycap

the skycap

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PosttaC giB ehT, on 17 April 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:



EJM

Gruden was concerned with his "ball security"

#9 CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Tyler Wilson

#10 JPS

JPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

E. AJ McCarron

Seriously, I dunno that any of the available QBs nail all 4.

#11 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,345 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostBangarang, on 17 April 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Nassib

He also doesn't wear sleeves regardless of how cold it is. Kid was government engineered to play for the Bills.
except that he played in a dome in college...

View Postthe skycap, on 17 April 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Gruden was concerned with his "ball security"
Yeah, did you see that?  I actually had ESPN on for that segment.  I was laughing my arse off, because he does have a point but he hammered away at something so small it was boring.  Instead of working on the other issues he has in his game he stuck on something any peewee football player could have told him was an error.  Gruden is a douchenozzle.

#12 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PosttaC giB ehT, on 17 April 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

EJM

EJ Manuel is no where near a clutch performer.  Manuel also has question on processing information.

Nassib is probably the closest to getting all 4 of all the QB's. EVeryone else has 2 out of 4.

Edited by TheTruthHurts, 17 April 2013 - 06:23 PM.


#13 K-9

K-9

    Long Timer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,192 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Are those in his order of importance because he always stressed accuracy as his number one quality in a QB, followed by smarts to process information quickly. I can't see him making arm strength most important when he was always so adamant about accuracy and smarts.

GO BILLS!!!

#14 Passepartout

Passepartout

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

It is about being clutch and winning when it comes down to it. Plus making split second decisions!

#15 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,267 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postthe skycap, on 17 April 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Gruden was concerned with his "ball security"

Honestly...Not to say that Gruden was incorrect...But that is an easily correctable "fault" in EJ's game...That's very coach-able... B-)

#16 ....lybob

....lybob

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

The reason we are arguing over 3 or 4 QBs is because there are no obvious franchise QBs in this draft and our desperate need for said franchise QB changes none of these pig ears into a silk purse

#17 Dr. Trooth

Dr. Trooth

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 17 April 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:


Barkley is very highly regarded in that part of his game. You're letting your bias get away with you saying it ain't close.

Go back to the tapes for yourself... Barkley holds onto it longer... he's still processing... and when the ball comes out, Nassibs release is more compact and quicker.

#18 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,316 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostDr. Trooth, on 17 April 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Go back to the tapes for yourself... Barkley holds onto it longer... he's still processing... and when the ball comes out, Nassibs release is more compact and quicker.
I live in LA and have seen him a ton. I don't want the Bills to draft him at all. But that is one of the strengths of his game. The compact release has little to processing information. It's important, and a great strength of Nassib's. But it's a different category of skill.

#19 KeisterHollow

KeisterHollow

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I saw the episode - and it wasn't arm strength overall - like a cannon of an arm - but that first and foremost the QB had to be capable of making all the throws an NFL QB would need to make. Then it was accuracy, then processing info quickly, and finally clutch play.

Yeah, I was really disappointed that Jaworski and Pollian both had Barkley pretty far down on their lists. Pollian had Jones as his number 1 QB, then Nassib. That was a real shocker - although, considering Jones's records and history, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the middle of the 3rd round. They both had Nassib as their 2nd QB, I believe. Nassib appears to be getting the most consistent props of any of these QB's. I'm amazed - I've been all in on Barkley. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wrong. I can't help seeing what I see, and I just believe Barkley is the guy, but at this point, I'll be happy if the Bills end up with Nassib, Barkley, Wilson, or Smith - even Manuel.

#20 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostKeisterHollow, on 17 April 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

I saw the episode - and it wasn't arm strength overall - like a cannon of an arm - but that first and foremost the QB had to be capable of making all the throws an NFL QB would need to make. Then it was accuracy, then processing info quickly, and finally clutch play.

Yeah, I was really disappointed that Jaworski and Pollian both had Barkley pretty far down on their lists. Pollian had Jones as his number 1 QB, then Nassib. That was a real shocker - although, considering Jones's records and history, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the middle of the 3rd round. They both had Nassib as their 2nd QB, I believe. Nassib appears to be getting the most consistent props of any of these QB's. I'm amazed - I've been all in on Barkley. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wrong. I can't help seeing what I see, and I just believe Barkley is the guy, but at this point, I'll be happy if the Bills end up with Nassib, Barkley, Wilson, or Smith - even Manuel.

I know arm strength can be overrated in importance but I don't think I've ever seen a QB with a weaker arm than Matt Barkley with the possible exception of Chad Pennington.

His arm is weaker than Matt Cassel's, Fitz', Orton's, McCoy's, anyone's. It's screamingly obvious AFAIC.

All you have to do is watch the video and it jumps off the screen… and I intentionally only watched his games from 2011 when he was completely healthy and had a great season.