#1 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,153 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

How is there no tablets?

Well I got myself a Google Nexus 10 today. I had been looking at getting one for a while and the pick was between Fire HD, an Asus Transformer, and the nexus 7 or 10.

I got to look at the Fire again today and was just not feeling it. The Transformer was great - it was nice. Pay about $500 for the tablet - ok. Pay another $200 for the keyboard that you would want occasionally... no thanks.

So, I sat at Best Buy, looked at more reviews to make sure the Nexus was what I wanted. Of course, Best Buy does not carry them so I used BB computers to look up info on the local Staples. (Ended up not getting it there - it would take 24 hours to enter my Tax Exempt number). I had to go to Walmart. That was not fun, but so far I like it.

The key features are the size, the ability to have Google Drive work seamlessly and that I can research or someone else can research on it easily while doing documents on the laptop.

#2 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I myself have the Transformer. I agree, it's pricey, but I love it.

The Nexus 10 is a great choice.

#3 UConn James

UConn James

I'm a little behind on my paperwork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,308 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

iPad3, here. It's not perfect, but it's pretty sweet for what I use it for: FB, music, Netflix, games with nieces, Skype, browsing. Love the portability, it's really easy to use, long battery life. Don't use my laptop very often anymore....

#4 truth on hold

truth on hold

All Pro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

How is there no tablets?

Well I got myself a Google Nexus 10 today. I had been looking at getting one for a while and the pick was between Fire HD, an Asus Transformer, and the nexus 7 or 10.

I got to look at the Fire again today and was just not feeling it. The Transformer was great - it was nice. Pay about $500 for the tablet - ok. Pay another $200 for the keyboard that you would want occasionally... no thanks.

So, I sat at Best Buy, looked at more reviews to make sure the Nexus was what I wanted. Of course, Best Buy does not carry them so I used BB computers to look up info on the local Staples. (Ended up not getting it there - it would take 24 hours to enter my Tax Exempt number). I had to go to Walmart. That was not fun, but so far I like it.

The key features are the size, the ability to have Google Drive work seamlessly and that I can research or someone else can research on it easily while doing documents on the laptop.

N10 is a very good tablet. I think latest iPad is still a little better. But if youre not going apple, given the quality and price I think n10 is the way to go. Had mine for a while. The only criticism is the processor might be a tad underpowered relative to the screen pixels. Sometimes its a little jerky moving between screens, and gamers say can take a little extra time to load. Its not as consistently silky smooth like the latest iPad.

BTW definitely get the official cover from Google nexus. Its super thin and attaches directly to the top of the devices back. This exposes that great feeling grippy rubber back which other cases cover up. And the device with cover is still super thin. Cover came out just a few weeks ago and i waited forever it. But you're lucky since you just got yours. Here's a brief review someone put on UT of the cover:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack, 10 May 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#5 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,153 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

I got a case already as I waited for that one to be reviewed more. I will pick it up. My current case is pretty sweet, designed to flip open and be just like a laptop or flipped open and a regular tablet. http://www.rakuten.c.../246604723.html It's pretty nice.

I also call my tabby. My laptop is my lappytappy, or my lappy. I'm masculine as fawk.

#6 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Wife got me a Suface RT on the weekend. Liking it so far. I know the big knock is the lack of apps available but so far it has all I want. Ive always liked the Metro/Zune interface and it's a beautiful tablet. I've only had it a few days though.

#7 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Wife got me a Suface RT on the weekend. Liking it so far. I know the big knock is the lack of apps available but so far it has all I want. Ive always liked the Metro/Zune interface and it's a beautiful tablet. I've only had it a few days though.

Microsoft was selling the Surface RT and Pro at insanely cheap prices to people who attended the TechEd conference last week -- $99 for the RT, $399 for the Pro -- so I picked up one of each. I haven't used them very much yet, but the screen and build quality both seem top notch. Not a fan of the touch cover, but will probably buy a type cover for the Pro.

What apps are you using? I haven't really installed anything except for Pinball FX2 yet... :D

#8 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Damn how come you had tell me how much you paid!!!! I'm embarrassed to say what my wife paid. Is the pinball game good?
I haven't had time to install to much yet. I have got the basic stuff. Dropbox, Evernote, Netflix, Adam Carolla app. I did install a game that I had for my Android phone "Game Dev Story" that I really enjoy. It comes with the Xbox app that lets you access everything that is on my Xbox. Xbox video and so on. One thing that was important to me was getting my Slngbox to work with it. There is no official app for it but there is a way to get it to work which I did and now I'm a happy guy. I can post the link if you want it. The 10" plus size makes it great for watching tv. Haven't watched any HD movies yet. I also like the SD card slot and the USB port. Battery life seems nice as well. When purchased they offered a free cover but I have not received that yet.

#9 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,153 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

CloudPrint is a great ap. Push Bullet is great and you will soon realize how easy it is - especially once you get important contacts added - wife, gf, kids, etc. you can push files, lists, etc.

#10 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Damn how come you had tell me how much you paid!!!! I'm embarrassed to say what my wife paid. Is the pinball game good?
I haven't had time to install to much yet. I have got the basic stuff. Dropbox, Evernote, Netflix, Adam Carolla app. I did install a game that I had for my Android phone "Game Dev Story" that I really enjoy. It comes with the Xbox app that lets you access everything that is on my Xbox. Xbox video and so on. One thing that was important to me was getting my Slngbox to work with it. There is no official app for it but there is a way to get it to work which I did and now I'm a happy guy. I can post the link if you want it. The 10" plus size makes it great for watching tv. Haven't watched any HD movies yet. I also like the SD card slot and the USB port. Battery life seems nice as well. When purchased they offered a free cover but I have not received that yet.

Sorry -- but in order to get that price, you had to go to the conference, which cost well more than what you paid, so... It all works out. ;)

I'm doing a proof of conceptat work with my Surface Pro. I'm joining it to the domain, going to buy a port replicator so I can use multiple monitors and a full keyboard when at work, and see if it can replace the laptop. If it works well, we'll offer it to other people in the company instead of a laptop. (it's nice being the boss, so I can do things like this. ;) ).

My wife seems to like the RT. She was watching Netflix on it yesterday and hasn't had much trouble learning Windows 8, so that's good.

#11 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Sorry -- but in order to get that price, you had to go to the conference, which cost well more than what you paid, so... It all works out. ;)

I'm doing a proof of conceptat work with my Surface Pro. I'm joining it to the domain, going to buy a port replicator so I can use multiple monitors and a full keyboard when at work, and see if it can replace the laptop. If it works well, we'll offer it to other people in the company instead of a laptop. (it's nice being the boss, so I can do things like this. ;) ).

My wife seems to like the RT. She was watching Netflix on it yesterday and hasn't had much trouble learning Windows 8, so that's good.

Did you get the touch keyboard? Works pretty well. Can you figure out how to get Chrome working on it? As of now my only complaint is that I have to use IE.

#12 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Did you get the touch keyboard? Works pretty well. Can you figure out how to get Chrome working on it? As of now my only complaint is that I have to use IE.

I have a touch keyboard, but really don't like it -- I purchased the Type keyboard and hope that will work better. :) I'll then give the touch keyboard to my wife for her Surface RT.

I don't use Chrome, so haven't installed that yet. I'm still using IE, but haven't had much chance to use the tablet tbh.

#13 blzrul

blzrul

Is it "ready aim fire" or "ready fire aim?"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

The next big thing is "Phablets". That's a tablet (say 10" diagonal) that is powered by a smartphone that slides into the tablet. The tablet itself doesn't function alone, it's really just a big battery and touchscreen for the smartphone. And it has an optional keyboard (with USB) that is also a big battery...turns the whole thing into a netbooks. ASUS is furthest along with these, but they're not in the US yet via a carrier. We're so backward here when it comes to mobility. I have tested both the 1 and 2 versions and it's pretty darned awesome. Pricey but pretty darned cool https://www.asus.com...obile/PadFone2/

#14 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,153 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

The next big thing is "Phablets". That's a tablet (say 10" diagonal) that is powered by a smartphone that slides into the tablet. The tablet itself doesn't function alone, it's really just a big battery and touchscreen for the smartphone. And it has an optional keyboard (with USB) that is also a big battery...turns the whole thing into a netbooks. ASUS is furthest along with these, but they're not in the US yet via a carrier. We're so backward here when it comes to mobility. I have tested both the 1 and 2 versions and it's pretty darned awesome. Pricey but pretty darned cool https://www.asus.com...obile/PadFone2/

why would you use a USB keyboard over bluetoof?

#15 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

I decided to use the Surface Pro as a "Proof of Concept" (POC) at work. I'm going to go an entire month without using my laptop. It shouldn't be too difficult, since the Surface is a full fledged PC...

I have the type cover (which makes it MUCH easier to type!). I then bought an HP port replicator. I come into work in the morning and instead of putting my laptop on the docking station, I plug in a USB cable into the tablet. That gives me two 24" monitors (running at 1920x1080), as well as the Surface screen itself -- more real estate than with my laptop! The port replicator also gives me access to my keyboard, mouse, and gigabit Ethernet. Nice.

It's a lot lighter and easier to carry around to meetings, which is nice. It runs Windows 8 (laptop is Windows 7), but I've found that the complaints about the start screen are completely overstated. Just like in Windows 7, I do 99% of my work on the desktop and never see the start screen. If I need to find a program, instead of the start button, I reach up and tap the Windows logo on the tablet itself, and then type in the name of the program I want (calculator and notepad, mainly - I could pin those to the desktop, but haven't yet). It automatically drops me back into the desktop after doing that. Works great.

The only negative so far is that Windows doesn't know how to scale differently per monitor. With the 24" monitors, I don't want any scaling of the fonts/buttons, but with the tablet it's nice to scale 150% so that the buttons are bigger. That feature is coming in Windows 8.1 -- and is hardly a showstopper -- but is the only negative I've found so far.

#16 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I decided to use the Surface Pro as a "Proof of Concept" (POC) at work. I'm going to go an entire month without using my laptop. It shouldn't be too difficult, since the Surface is a full fledged PC...

I have the type cover (which makes it MUCH easier to type!). I then bought an HP port replicator. I come into work in the morning and instead of putting my laptop on the docking station, I plug in a USB cable into the tablet. That gives me two 24" monitors (running at 1920x1080), as well as the Surface screen itself -- more real estate than with my laptop! The port replicator also gives me access to my keyboard, mouse, and gigabit Ethernet. Nice.

It's a lot lighter and easier to carry around to meetings, which is nice. It runs Windows 8 (laptop is Windows 7), but I've found that the complaints about the start screen are completely overstated. Just like in Windows 7, I do 99% of my work on the desktop and never see the start screen. If I need to find a program, instead of the start button, I reach up and tap the Windows logo on the tablet itself, and then type in the name of the program I want (calculator and notepad, mainly - I could pin those to the desktop, but haven't yet). It automatically drops me back into the desktop after doing that. Works great.

The only negative so far is that Windows doesn't know how to scale differently per monitor. With the 24" monitors, I don't want any scaling of the fonts/buttons, but with the tablet it's nice to scale 150% so that the buttons are bigger. That feature is coming in Windows 8.1 -- and is hardly a showstopper -- but is the only negative I've found so far. Also, I think there is a Windows 8.1 beta out are you going to give it a try? I'm a little afraid to.

When you say "start screen" do you mean the tiles? I find the tiles pleasant to work with. You can organize them any way you want. So far I'm using it the opposite as you. Not using the desktop much as so far im using it for mail, video and games. Social stuff and so on so the tiles work great for me. My only complaint is as I stated before, IE. Would love to have Chrome browser on this. I guess my other complaint is not enough apps for such a nice piece of computer hardware. Like no HBO Go!!! Netflix is nice on this and try the YouTube app called "Hyper" Really good.

Edited by Dante, 03 July 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#17 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

When you say "start screen" do you mean the tiles?

Yup, the SmartTiles.

I do most of my work on the desktop because the apps I use most - Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, and Visio - are all desktop apps. I'm using it as a work laptop replacement; if it were a personal home machine, I'm sure I'd use more of the apps like Netflix. :)

I'm using Firefox (on the desktop) as well -- so you could install Chrome... Unless you have the Surface RT, in which case I think you're stuck (it uses a different processor, whereas the Surface Pro has an Intel processor and can therefore run any program you can normally run under Windows; my wife has the RT).

#18 blzrul

blzrul

Is it "ready aim fire" or "ready fire aim?"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

why would you use a USB keyboard over bluetoof?

It's not bluetooth, the table slides into the keyboard (like Surface). It's optional but I like keys and the fact that it's a gigantic battery.

#19 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,153 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

So I have an external DLNA capable HDD. Maybe 1TB I use it as a media server, more or less.

With my Nexus 10 I do not get the option of a 4g data option so I use FoxFi to create a wifi network on my Droid, which is a Verizon unlimited data contract.

I then downloaded a few apps, Vplayer VNpN and Vplayer Video Player which allow me to log in to my server and and stream to my mobile or tablet any movie, music or data I would like. I have the ability with NetGear to logic in remotely, as well, but more importantly, I can use GoogleDrive to remotely access my server regardless where I am.

I also have a 500g portable drive that I can plug in to my laptop and turn in to a server, as well.

Edited by jboyst62, 26 July 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#20 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

So I have an external DLNA capable HDD. Maybe 1TB I use it as a media server, more or less.

With my Nexus 10 I do not get the option of a 4g data option so I use FoxFi to create a wifi network on my Droid, which is a Verizon unlimited data contract.

I then downloaded a few apps, Vplayer VNpN and Vplayer Video Player which allow me to logic in to my server and and stream to my mobile or tablet any movie, music or data I would like. I have the ability with NetGear to logic in remotely, as well, but more importantly, I can use GoogleDrive to remotely access my server regardless where I am.

I also have a 500g portable drive that I can plug in to my laptop and turn in to a server, as well.

Are you sure you're a farmer? Shouldn't you be saying stuff like "Dang gum, I's don't know all this fancy smart phone stuff. I's pick up the receiver on my home phone, and asks the operator 'Mabel! Git me Johnny down at the feed store' and next thing ya know, Johnny is taking my order for more feed. Why, thats bein' smart."