Jump to content


Culture change in full swing


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 matter2003

matter2003

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

It is obvious there is a significant culture change going on on both sides of the ball. They have a blueprint of what they want, they have not deviated from it and are getting the exact types of players they want as evidenced by the scouting capsules all having the same words in them..

On offense, they are taking fast, athletic guys that put pressure on the D every play. The easiest way for a big play is to have fast guys outrun tired defensive players down the field...

On defense, they are taking fast, aggressive, physical players who try and destroy the ball carrier and play with an attitude. They are putting New England on notice that their days of laughing at us are over. They may win the game, but they are going to be in too much pain to be joking or laughing on those sidelines...

On both sides of the ball it is obvious the Bills plan on forcing other teams to match up with them, rather than having things dictated to us...a very refreshing approach...

Edited by matter2003, 27 April 2013 - 12:02 PM.


#2 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,522 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yep. This really has a different feel to it. Aggressive, fast, attacking. It's not what we are used to. Yet to be determined how it translates on the field.

What I like about it, especially on offense, is they seem to have a plan. This now makes sense why they let David Nelson go. They have Stevie and Woods on the outside (or opposite sides) who are solid, great route running receivers, and two speed demons on the inside, to scare the bejesus out of the defense, especially with CJ. Goodwin may not be a better WR than guys still on the board, so people think it was a bad decision, but he may be the exact cog that Hackett and Marrone want for this offense.

I didn't like the pick at first. But it's making more sense to me now.

#3 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,128 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Might also explain why no push for a TE. They're going to run a lot of 3 and 4-WR sets.

Consider also that in 5-WR sets, you could see either Brad Smith or CJ Spiller as the 5th WR.

#4 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,522 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostJR In Ann Arbor, on 27 April 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Might also explain why no push for a TE. They're going to run a lot of 3 and 4-WR sets.

Consider also that in 5-WR sets, you could see either Brad Smith or CJ Spiller as the 5th WR.
To me, it's just the way it played out. They wanted Delanie Walker in FA. They wanted Fred Davis and went after him. I think they did want a TE. Most all of the good ones in the rounds they were expected to go in were chosen before our pick came up.

#5 Rubes

Rubes

    The Doctor of Football...is IN

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 27 April 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yep. This really has a different feel to it. Aggressive, fast, attacking. It's not what we are used to. Yet to be determined how it translates on the field.

What I like about it, especially on offense, is they seem to have a plan. This now makes sense why they let David Nelson go. They have Stevie and Woods on the outside (or opposite sides) who are solid, great route running receivers, and two speed demons on the inside, to scare the bejesus out of the defense, especially with CJ. Goodwin may not be a better WR than guys still on the board, so people think it was a bad decision, but he may be the exact cog that Hackett and Marrone want for this offense.

I didn't like the pick at first. But it's making more sense to me now.

Wouldn't Stevie and Woods be on the inside, and the speed guys on the outside?


#6 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,522 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostRubes, on 27 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Wouldn't Stevie and Woods be on the inside, and the speed guys on the outside?
I'm sure they will split it up. A lot of times the little speedsters will play the slot and off the line so it's easier for them to get off the LOS, as well as go in motion. I never really fell for the idea that Stevie was going to be moved to the slot. Woods is a very solid outside WR who has a lot more speed than people give him credit for. he ran 4.4 (he had a bad ankle and 4.5 combine 40).

I'm liking Hackett a LOT more than I did when he was first hired when hearing players talking about him. This is going to be a fun offense.

#7 I 90

I 90

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

The culture change might be good news for Chippewa St. at the very least.

#8 Rubes

Rubes

    The Doctor of Football...is IN

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 27 April 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'm liking Hackett a LOT more than I did when he was first hired when hearing players talking about him. This is going to be a fun offense.

I agree, I'm pleasantly surprised how often I've been hearing praise for this guy. I'm excited to see what the new staff brings to the table on both sides of the ball.

Dammit, they've sucked me in again.


#9 Big C

Big C

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

We are getting FAST on offense and TOUGH on defense. I love this.

#10 Ennjay

Ennjay

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm wondering if the plan is sort of a throwback to how the Bills first used Don Beebe.  A speed guy goes long on every play, meaning some defender has to go with him (in a man) or a zone gets stretched.  The underneath defense effectively plays a man short (or so it's supposed to work), and the chances of a mismatch or finding a defender out of position are that much better.

#11 Lurker

Lurker

    16 pages is NOT enough

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostRubes, on 27 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Wouldn't Stevie and Woods be on the inside, and the speed guys on the outside?
I think we'll see a lot of bunch formations.   The small, speed guys running behind some pick-like interference, rather than the traditional X, Y and Z formations...

#12 matter2003

matter2003

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 27 April 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:


I'm sure they will split it up. A lot of times the little speedsters will play the slot and off the line so it's easier for them to get off the LOS, as well as go in motion. I never really fell for the idea that Stevie was going to be moved to the slot. Woods is a very solid outside WR who has a lot more speed than people give him credit for. he ran 4.4 (he had a bad ankle and 4.5 combine 40).

I'm liking Hackett a LOT more than I did when he was first hired when hearing players talking about him. This is going to be a fun offense.

This might be getting ahead of myself, but he reminds me of Jerry Rice...he's not that fast, its just that no one ever caught him from behind...

#13 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,522 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

View Postmatter2003, on 27 April 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

This might be getting ahead of myself, but he reminds me of Jerry Rice...he's not that fast, its just that no one ever caught him from behind...
Andre Reed was just like that. He ran 4.54 or something like that but I don't ever remember anyone catching him from behind, and he used to just explode with the ball in his hands and blow by people all the time.

I have seen Woods a lot, and I hate USC. He's a great WR. He was a complete second fiddle this year because Marquise Hill was just ridiculous, and still managed 76 catches and 11 TDs. Woods always produced, gets open deep, has good hands, runs great routes, 200 pounds (although sometimes listed at 190). He's just a solid player and fast.

Edited by Kelly the Dog, 27 April 2013 - 12:42 PM.


#14 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm pretty sure I read a "culture change" thread on here every offseason. Still waiting. I do like Marrone and the rationale behind this draft, though.

#15 matter2003

matter2003

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 27 April 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:


Andre Reed was just like that. He ran 4.54 or something like that but I don't ever remember anyone catching him from behind, and he used to just explode with the ball in his hands and blow by people all the time.

I have seen Woods a lot, and I hate USC. He's a great WR. He was a complete second fiddle this year because Marquise Hill was just ridiculous, and still managed 76 catches and 11 TDs. Woods always produced, gets open deep, has good hands, runs great routes, 200 pounds (although sometimes listed at 190). He's just a solid player and fast.

Yeah Reed used to take angles that just left defensive players flat footed...it was pretty amazing how he would just angle away from players and they couldn't catch him...

#16 ChesterRocCo

ChesterRocCo

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I will be the first to admit i'm not familiar with Marrones offensive scheme, but remember reading somewhere he hasn't used a lot of spread in the past.  If that's the case the two WR picks signals a change, or at least more use of a spread i would think.  Looking at the roster we have Johnson, Woods, Goodwin, Smith and Graham.  I haven't really heard TJ Graham mentioned much.  Does anyone know if hes still in, or if hes going to be the odd man out?  I still think he has potential and given the number of speedy receivers now on the roster he could create match up problems.

#17 RalphOP83

RalphOP83

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Not sure about tight end position, but I do know Dorin Dickerson was considered a TE...with a 4.4 40yd dash.
Easley ran a 4.39 at the combine.

Spiller 4.27
Goodwin 4.27
Graham 4.29
Easley 4.39
Dickerson 4.4

Who knows how it will shake out...but on paper we definitely have world class speed offensively.