Jump to content


Official John Murphy Show Thread


  • Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 ajzepp

ajzepp

    TBD's Resident Focker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,245 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

I've noticed that there are more an more of us who have been listening to this excellent show. I think it's time that John have one central thread where we can all share feedback on what goes down. He is great at asking the questions that we, as fans, want answers to and I try not to miss any broadcasts.

As has been mentioned before, for those of you who might live outside of Blo and want to listen, download the tune-in radio app and search for John Murphy Show and/or WGR.

I'd like to start it off by asking if someone can please translate WTF Kiko Alonso said on tonight's show. I only caught the tail end of the interview, but that was plenty. I'm uneasy about this guy's criminal past, and all the mumbling and slurring of his words tonight didn't do much to make me any more optimistic about him. I hope Im wrong, but I wasn't impressed at all with what I heard tonight.

Contrast that with yesterday when he had EJ's former high school coach on for an interview. That was great and I encourage you guys to check it out on buffalobills.com

#2 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    Read The FN Manuel

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

View Postajzepp, on 01 May 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

I've noticed that there are more an more of us who have been listening to this excellent show. I think it's time that John have one central thread where we can all share feedback on what goes down. He is great at asking the questions that we, as fans, want answers to and I try not to miss any broadcasts.

As has been mentioned before, for those of you who might live outside of Blo and want to listen, download the tune-in radio app and search for John Murphy Show and/or WGR.

I'd like to start it off by asking if someone can please translate WTF Kiko Alonso said on tonight's show. I only caught the tail end of the interview, but that was plenty. I'm uneasy about this guy's criminal past, and all the mumbling and slurring of his words tonight didn't do much to make me any more optimistic about him. I hope Im wrong, but I wasn't impressed at all with what I heard tonight.

Contrast that with yesterday when he had EJ's former high school coach on for an interview. That was great and I encourage you guys to check it out on buffalobills.com

I could understand him, but subtitles would have been nice. :lol:

#3 ajzepp

ajzepp

    TBD's Resident Focker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,245 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 01 May 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

I could understand him, but subtitles would have been nice. :lol:

lol, that would have helped for sure

#4 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Here's a few interesting facts about Kiko Alonso that people should know to help understand him.

In spite of going to high school in the very affluent town of Los Gatos, CA, Kiko is the child of immigrant parents.

His father is a Cuban who lived in Puerto Rico and his mother is from Columbia.

As such he grew up in a house where neither parent was a native english speaker.

His real name is Kristian, a name that made him the subject of lots of teasing growing up.

People who've had life experiences like this would understand why Kiko might have had some issues growing up, not to mention his less-than-stellar speaking ability.

#5 Wayne Fontes

Wayne Fontes

    Practice Squad

  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

God help society if this guy doesn't stick in the NFL (or maybe even if he does).

#6 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    Read The FN Manuel

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

View Postajzepp, on 01 May 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

lol, that would have helped for sure

Kiko's audio link is up:  http://forums.twobil...80#entry2801416

Good luck. :)

#7 ajzepp

ajzepp

    TBD's Resident Focker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,245 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostSan Jose Bills Fan, on 01 May 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Here's a few interesting facts about Kiko Alonso that people should know to help understand him.

In spite of going to high school in the very affluent town of Los Gatos, CA, Kiko is the child of immigrant parents.

His father is a Cuban who lived in Puerto Rico and his mother is from Columbia.

As such he grew up in a house where neither parent was a native english speaker.

His real name is Kristian, a name that made him the subject of lots of teasing growing up.

People who've had life experiences like this would understand why Kiko might have had some issues growing up, not to mention his less-than-stellar speaking ability.

He also has a DUI and an alcohol-related theft charge, so he's going to be under a bit of a microscope until he puts some distance in there. My roommate is Cuban and I live in an area where I often communicate with non-English speaking Hispanics. It didn't come off as if he lacked command of the English language...it came off like he was feeling good. I hope that WASN'T the case, cause we need this guy to keep his head clean and produce on the field.

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 01 May 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Kiko's audio link is up:  http://forums.twobil...80#entry2801416

Good luck. :)

Nice, thanks :)  I hope that we can all follow your lead and post links to the best segments as we come across them. John does a fantastic job balancing interesting interviews with news, insider opinion, and caller feedback. Every once in a while Thurman comes on, which are some of my favorite shows. We get his thoughts on the current happenings at One Bills Drive along with some great stories from our glory years.

#8 NickelCity

NickelCity

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

I'm not worried about Kiko at all. I think everyone will come around when they start seeing him interviewed more frequently, and get past his "unique" speech patterns. More often then not, he's genuinely excited about the game, and it's clear he just loves to play.

#9 ajzepp

ajzepp

    TBD's Resident Focker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,245 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostNickelCity, on 02 May 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

I'm not worried about Kiko at all. I think everyone will come around when they start seeing him interviewed more frequently, and get past his "unique" speech patterns. More often then not, he's genuinely excited about the game, and it's clear he just loves to play.

Here's the most recent interview I could find...not sure if it makes me feel better or worse lol



As long as the kid stays out of trouble and produces, I'll be his biggest supporter. I've taken care of several victims of someone nailed with a DUI, so it's not something I make light of or disregard. As long as he learned from it and doesn't do it again,  he's good in my book.

#10 ALF

ALF

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

John Murphy has the best radio show for sports talk in Buffalo without a doubt :thumbsup:

#11 eball

eball

    Omar Sly

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

You can also listen to the show through the BIlls mobile app.

#12 KeisterHollow

KeisterHollow

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

I could care how he speaks - as long as he stays out of trouble and plays like a BEAST!  In fact, I'm rather excited we drafted Kiko - I'b beginning to think he might end up being the best of the players we drafted, and might end up being the 1st great linebacker in Buffalo since... Takeo Spikes?  London Fletcher?  It's been awhile.

Once again - the more I look at this draft the happier I am with it!

#13 Mike in Syracuse

Mike in Syracuse

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Have you ever spent some time in the Bills parking lots prior to the games, not a lot of eloquent speech going on yet somehow we want our LB to be James Earl Jones?

#14 Nanker

Nanker

    Blls Nation Unite!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,429 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

He's a prototypical jock with no prospects of a career in broadcasting once his NFL pro career is over.
I'm fine with that, and him for that matter. He's a very interesting cog in the wheel.

#15 swimtoga

swimtoga

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

I listen to it every night as I fall asleep on the Bills mobile app. Best sports show period; John puts great questions out there for the listeners to call in and express their opinion. Like last night he asked what 2nd year player will make the biggest jump this year? That got me thinking about Zerbie Sanders, does anyone think he might be a good switch to guard?

#16 Heitz

Heitz

    Professional Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

ajzepp - thanks for starting this, I had almost started this one a few times!

The John Murphy Show is a MUST listen for any Bills fans - you'll get more insight into the team from one show that a week of reading articles (especially when Nix, Brandon or Marrone are on)!

#17 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    Read The FN Manuel

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Here's a link to the audio segments on the WGR website if anyone wants to listen on demand: http://audio.wgr550....murphy-show.htm

#18 Last Guy on the Bench

Last Guy on the Bench

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

You can also download full episodes on iTunes. I'm just discovering the show and really enjoying it. Murph is smooth.

#19 bopper2

bopper2

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Maybe we could get Leodis to act as his interpreter.

#20 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Boy, this thread has now officially broken the oldwhitey meter.

He's not hard to understand, at all.

View Post26CornerBlitz, on 01 May 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Kiko's audio link is up:  http://forums.twobil...80#entry2801416

Good luck. :)

If there IS an audio takeaway from this, it's the belch at 6:36...dear god :blink: