NFL.com Top 100 Players - Need some help with the premise
Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:55 PM
My point is this -
How should I interpret this list? Mario is #73 (or around there), if I think he wasn't the best Bills player, should I expect to see Spiller or Byrd or even Stevie higher on the list? I don't see him yet and #51 is R. Wilson. Is Spiller "better" or more valuable than Wilson? I personally don't think so.
I am not aware of who is naming these players. Is it media guys or actual players? If actual player, then I will shut my trap as I don't play the game.
Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:07 PM
Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:10 PM
The players vote and NFL channel has off season content. Win-win.
Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:46 PM
Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:50 PM
Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:12 PM
Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:49 PM
Good to go then. I actually see value in this if it's the players then...
Even if it was a highly effective ranking, does it really give much value? It's space filler.
Beyond the questions you asked, you could also still ask based on history? Future? How far each direction? How does a player really rank the #1 guard vs the #9 qb? Value to team? Personal ability?
Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:36 PM
In all seriousness, still can't get over the fact that Steve Largent was not on the top 100 players of all-time.
Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:31 PM
- They are chosen by their peers - which I thought was good
- According to a BobDVA above,it seems only 30 do the naming of 20 players - this is bad -now I hate it more!
- The list is always for the coming year - it is for 2013 now.
- Therefore there is a lot of projecting - OK, I can live with that.
- But when old players are named for what they did in the past, it is not a reflection on the coming year.
- Then when they talk about it and pan a guy because he hasn't achieved enough yet, I have to wonder what the heck's going on.
- Regarding Spiller - I don't know if he'll make it.
- Regarding Byrd - this morning they said only one more safety is on the list - is it Ed Reed or Byrd? If the list is for 2013 - it should be Byrd even though Reed is still a player, I think his play has been slipping the last few years due to injury and Byrd is trending up.
Edited by Never NEVER Give-up, 24 May 2013 - 10:34 PM.
Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:56 AM
Agreed - if what you say is true, I have even more reason to hate my least favorite segment on NFLN.
it is BS, only around 30 players selected by NFL Network select who they think the top 20 players are and the top 100 is selected from that. Number 100 may have only got 1 vote. Certainly not a scientific process at all, but I guess it is entertainment for those without a life.