Jump to content


Would the Pats* dynasty happened if Parcells was still head coach?


  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Just Jack

Just Jack

    Lifting things up and putting them down

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Bill Parcells admits he regrets leaving New England Patriots a few years before their dynasty started

Quote

The former New England coach did get the ball rolling with the Patriots' mostly forgotten Super Bowl XXXI appearance. And then Parcells, who left after that Super Bowl because of a power struggle with owner Robert Kraft, watched his protege Bill Belichick take over the Patriot reins (after New England had a few disappointing seasons under Pete Carroll) and surpass Parcells' massive accomplishments and legacy.

discuss....

#2 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

He wouldn't have drafted Brady.

#3 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,509 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostMr. WEO, on 24 June 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

He wouldn't have drafted Brady.

yea its a bit presumptuous to assume that he wouldve seen the same success. he had a good team there, but swapping out coaches could have made huge differences in the narrative.

#4 Gugny

Gugny

    Please pray and send positive thoughts for Chef's back.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Parcells is overrated.

No.

#5 Ralph W.

Ralph W.

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Yea it's all about that Brady pick. And I doubt Parcells would have done it.

#6 Just Jack

Just Jack

    Lifting things up and putting them down

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostMr. WEO, on 24 June 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

He wouldn't have drafted Brady.

Similiar to my thought, he may have not drafted the same players, made the same trades, etc and the hobo has done.

#7 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,527 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Fig is right.  He is overrated.  But without the luck of Brady performing it would have never happened. Think about it.  It was like Levi Brown coming in and performing as well. And remember we had Brohm who was supposed to be the next huge thing.

#8 KD in CT

KD in CT

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,418 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

That would have depended on two things happening;  first obviously is drafting Brady.  Second is playing Brady.   There's a very big question about whether Brady would have gotten a shot under Parcells.   Parcells had a strong preferrence for veterans and he liked Bledsoe.  And it stands to reason that with a different head coach, the stars would not have aligned to allow Mo Lewis to knock Bledsoe's lungs into the 3d row during that September 2001 game.

Add all that up and you probably have a healthy Bledsoe continuing to get the Pats into the playoffs but highly questionable about them winning a SB, much less 3.

Edited by KD in CT, 24 June 2013 - 10:45 AM.


#9 papazoid

papazoid

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,467 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Would the Pats* dynasty happened if Parcells was still head coach?

probably not.....but they still would  have been very very good.

parcells has been successful everywhere he has been and there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have been in new England.

having said that, the biggest difference would of been in the draft. in fact the drafting of WR terry glenn (whom parcel referred to as "she", when parcel wanted to draft a D lineman instead, is what led to the breakup.

#10 Gugny

Gugny

    Please pray and send positive thoughts for Chef's back.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostKD in CT, on 24 June 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

That would have depended on two things happening;  first obviously is drafting Brady.  Second is playing Brady.   There's a very big question about whether Brady would have gotten a shot under Parcells.   Parcells had a strong preferrence for veterans and he liked Bledsoe.  And it stands to reason that with a different head coach, the stars would not have aligned to allow Mo Lewis to knock Bledsoe's lungs into the 3d row during that September 2001 game.

Add all that up and you probably have a healthy Bledsoe continuing to get the Pats into the playoffs but highly questionable about them winning a SB, much less 3.
Excellent point.  Parcells loved him some Bledsoe.  And he was too old-school to let a vet lose his job to injury.

#11 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Anyone who thinks Parcells is overrated knows very little about either coaching or football. Parcells greatest talent was assembling staffs - one of the hardest things to get right. He's the guy who found Belichick and promoted him from within.  Belichick would be nothing without him. He's also the guy who hired Tom Coughlin, who obviously went on to great success. There are a lot of other great hires he made over the years too. He's the guy who took over five sorry franchises and turned them all into contenders in short order: the Giants, the Pats, the Jets, the Cowboys, and the Dolphins. People forget that the teams he took over were horrible before he arrived. The Pats were 2-14 and the Dolphins and Jets were both 1-15.

#12 Gugny

Gugny

    Please pray and send positive thoughts for Chef's back.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postdave mcbride, on 24 June 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Anyone who thinks Parcells is overrated knows very little about either coaching or football. Parcells greatest talent was assembling staffs - one of the hardest things to get right. He's the guy who found Belichick and promoted him from within.  Belichick would be nothing without him. He's also the guy who hired Tom Coughlin, who obviously went on to great success. There are a lot of other great hires he made over the years too. He's the guy who took over five sorry franchises and turned them all into contenders in short order: the Giants, the Pats, the Jets, the Cowboys, and the Dolphins. People forget that the teams he took over were horrible before he arrived. The Pats were 2-14 and the Dolphins and Jets were both 1-15.
Parcells led Dallas to a cumulative 34–32 record and no playoff wins.
The Dolphins have made the playoffs once since 2007, when he "worked his magic."  And I think we can all agree that was a fluke season.

In no way am I saying he wasn't a very good coach.  I'm just saying he's not even in the "best ever" discussion and there are a lot of coaches, past and present, who are were/are far better.

#13 Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

But that's his downfall, great coach poor at evaluating talent IMO.  Anyplace he goes, does improve, but not enough to get over the top, i.e. Dallas, Miami.  I also am not certian his coaching style would still work today??

View Postdave mcbride, on 24 June 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Anyone who thinks Parcells is overrated knows very little about either coaching or football. Parcells greatest talent was assembling staffs - one of the hardest things to get right. He's the guy who found Belichick and promoted him from within.  Belichick would be nothing without him. He's also the guy who hired Tom Coughlin, who obviously went on to great success. There are a lot of other great hires he made over the years too. He's the guy who took over five sorry franchises and turned them all into contenders in short order: the Giants, the Pats, the Jets, the Cowboys, and the Dolphins. People forget that the teams he took over were horrible before he arrived. The Pats were 2-14 and the Dolphins and Jets were both 1-15.


#14 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    10/8/14 - Welcome to Pegulaville

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,453 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostJust Jack, on 24 June 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:


W/O Belichick.....My answer is a resounding NO!

#15 AlwaysBilleve

AlwaysBilleve

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Not a chance.

#16 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostEd_Roch, on 24 June 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

But that's his downfall, great coach poor at evaluating talent IMO.  Anyplace he goes, does improve, but not enough to get over the top, i.e. Dallas, Miami.  I also am not certian his coaching style would still work today??

How quickly his multiple Super Bowl victories are forgotten. It's like people's historical consciousness only extends back to the 1990s.

In 1986, the Giants went 14-2. In the playoffs, they knocked off, in succession, Bill Walsh's 49ers 49-3 and Joe Gibbs' Redskins 17-0.

Edited by dave mcbride, 24 June 2013 - 12:09 PM.


#17 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostFig Newtons, on 24 June 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Parcells led Dallas to a cumulative 34–32 record and no playoff wins.
And that is why Romo is no longer the holder on FGs and PATs.

#18 Gugny

Gugny

    Please pray and send positive thoughts for Chef's back.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostJauronimo, on 24 June 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

And that is why Romo is no longer the holder on FGs and PATs.
Who is Buffalo's PAT Specialist these days?

#19 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    Kyle Williams 95

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

no

#20 Doc

Doc

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, it's a combo of Brady, Belichick, Ernie Adams, and videotaping.  Then there is the BPLoDR (Bill Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns).