Jump to content


Ryan Swope retires


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ny33

ny33

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

http://deadspin.com/...ks-to-917847377

Hopefully Swope can make a recovery and contribute, if he chooses to play football again.

For those of you complaining about the fact that the Bills did not draft Swope, it looks like they had good reason not to.

#2 Coach Tuesday

Coach Tuesday

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,938 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

So I will take my medicine here - I was complaining that they passed on Swope in the later rounds. I clearly was wrong.

#3 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hope the kid recovers this year and thinks about a return to the NFL. Talented WR.

#4 VirginiaMike

VirginiaMike

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Best of luck to him -- I hope he paid attention in school and will have an education to fall back on.

#5 Nanker

Nanker

    Blls Nation Unite!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,848 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostVirginiaMike, on 26 July 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Best of luck to him -- I hope he paid attention in school and will have an education to fall back on.
The quoted article quotes him Tweeting: "In the meantime, I plan to return to Texas A&M to pursue my degree."

#6 Dorkington

Dorkington

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

That's a god damned shame. I don't know who he is, but I can imagine that reaching your dream, only to have it taken away so early must feel terrible.

#7 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    Go Bills

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

That's a drag - I liked the kid and he was a beast on the field.

#8 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,242 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostCoach Tuesday, on 26 July 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

So I will take my medicine here - I was complaining that they passed on Swope in the later rounds. I clearly was wrong.

happens to the best of us.... even when we think we know everything about a guy - often theres stuff that isnt widely reported or you dont know the severity of the problems.

#9 Brainiac21

Brainiac21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

yeah, once i saw this guy's times i looked up his hilights on youtube... and immediately said 'no thanks'.  the way he crossed the middle and whatnot and took hits... part of it fearless, part maybe lack of situational awareness.

i had no idea he actually had concussion problems already, just thought he clearly would eventually.

#10 first_and_ten

first_and_ten

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostCoach Tuesday, on 26 July 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

So I will take my medicine here - I was complaining that they passed on Swope in the later rounds. I clearly was wrong.

Any more confessions to make before we move on? :nana:

Edited by first_and_ten, 26 July 2013 - 10:25 AM.


#11 Nanker

Nanker

    Blls Nation Unite!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,848 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I once thought Fitz was a decent QB.

#12 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    Go Bills

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

I was a JP Losman fan and purchased his jersey.

#13 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostRuntheDamnBall, on 26 July 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

I was a JP Losman fan and purchased his jersey.

CBiscuit was certain that Dick Jauron was the head coaching equivalent of Bill Belichick and vehemently defended his position against all logic for 3 full years of failure.

Oh, wait, was this supposed to be a personal confession? B-)

#14 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostDorkington, on 26 July 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

That's a god damned shame. I don't know who he is, but I can imagine that reaching your dream, only to have it taken away so early must feel terrible.

Swope was a very talented player who if healthy had a promising career in the NFL.

I think he was graded a 2nd-3rd round talent but because of the head injuries he lasted until the 6th round.

And idiots complain and ask why the sport is being "pussified."

#15 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostBADOLBEELZ, on 26 July 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:



CBiscuit was certain that Dick Jauron was the head coaching equivalent of Bill Belichick and vehemently defended his position against all logic for 3 full years of failure.

Oh, wait, was this supposed to be a personal confession? B-)

And you female dog more than a 12 year old girl and struggle with reading comprehension. Twist the facts all you want, Belichick's record pre Brady was Jauron esque.

#16 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    BERSERKER

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:23 AM

View Postny33, on 26 July 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

http://deadspin.com/...ks-to-917847377

Hopefully Swope can make a recovery and contribute, if he chooses to play football again.

For those of you complaining about the fact that the Bills did not draft Swope, it looks like they had good reason not to.

That sucks. kid had skills, I still would have played a couple of years just to play pro ball and buy a house and set my self up financially for the future.

View PostCoach Tuesday, on 26 July 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

So I will take my medicine here - I was complaining that they passed on Swope in the later rounds. I clearly was wrong.

No you were right,  no one can predict these things.

#17 North Buffalo1

North Buffalo1

    Diehard Buffalo fan..

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostBuffalo Barbarian, on 27 July 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

That sucks. kid had skills, I still would have played a couple of years just to play pro ball and buy a house and set my self up financially for the future.


I hear you except, I don't think he could stay on the field.   Think hockey and Joakim Hect with the Sabres, took almost a year off and had a decent final year.  I think if he can be symptom free for a year plus than he might consider a return.  His brain needs to heal first and who knows how long that will take.

P.S. I have had two concussions in my lifetime, one from hockey and it took a while (over a year) before the back of my head stopped feeling cold when I put on my helmet on in the locker room.  Probably shoudn't have kept playing, but didnt realize what I had till I talked to a Dr. years later.

The other was a tailgate of an old mercedes wagon hydrolics gave out and clipped me above the forehead.  Photographed a wedding afterwards and don't remember taking half of the photographs.  Took nices ones but still, had a headache for two days afterwards.

They are not to be messed with.

Edited by North Buffalo1, 27 July 2013 - 07:12 AM.


#18 San Jose Bills Fan

San Jose Bills Fan

    San Jose Bills Fan

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostBuffalo Barbarian, on 27 July 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

That sucks. kid had skills, I still would have played a couple of years just to play pro ball and buy a house and set my self up financially for the future.

With certain symptoms (vertigo, fatigue, migraines, light sensitivity, etc), playing is not an option.

#19 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostNorth Buffalo1, on 27 July 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

I hear you except, I don't think he could stay on the field.   Think hockey and Joakim Hect with the Sabres, took almost a year off and had a decent final year.  I think if he can be symptom free for a year plus than he might consider a return.  His brain needs to heal first and who knows how long that will take.

P.S. I have had two concussions in my lifetime, one from hockey and it took a while (over a year) before the back of my head stopped feeling cold when I put on my helmet on in the locker room.  Probably shoudn't have kept playing, but didnt realize what I had till I talked to a Dr. years later.

The other was a tailgate of an old mercedes wagon hydrolics gave out and clipped me above the forehead.  Photographed a wedding afterwards and don't remember taking half of the photographs.  Took nices ones but still, had a headache for two days afterwards.

They are not to be messed with.
Concussions are scary. Got knocked out once playing basketball and took a nasty hit returning a punt in football. I don't remember the rest of that practice or driving home that day. The next thing I remember was waking up in my bed the fallowing day. Truely scary