Jump to content


SJ is a slot-man now


  • Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 mitchmurraydowntown

mitchmurraydowntown

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

http://www.buffalone.../130739826/1004

#2 mrags

mrags

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,716 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Love it

#3 johnnywo

johnnywo

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

Great idea. I think it will turn out great. Most of the passes he catches are between 5-10 yards anyway so why not exploit a defense with his unconventional style and quickness. Just as long as we don't get the typical Fitz pass to the shoelaces from EJ or Kolb he should excel! Go Bills!!

#4 Rubes

Rubes

    The Doctor of Football...is IN

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

This is good news.


#5 todzilla

todzilla

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

Love it, the perfect spot for him. Hopefully Woods, Graham, and the rest can fill out the wide spots.

#6 billsfanmiami(oh)

billsfanmiami(oh)

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

If Rogers and or by some miracle Easley can turn out to be a legit physical outside presence, this WR core could be very dangerous. Stevie gets open period and if we can get a QB in there who will consistently get him the ball I feel like his reception and yardage numbers can grow significantly.

#7 ajzepp

ajzepp

    TBD's Resident Focker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,254 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

Stevie is going to have a monster year...

#8 Dragonborn10

Dragonborn10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

He played a ton in the slot last year too so this is not that much of a change.  He and Fitz were great in the red zone with Stevie lined up inside.

#9 MDH

MDH

    My mind is going...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostDadonkadonk, on 01 August 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

He played a ton in the slot last year too so this is not that much of a change.  He and Fitz were great in the red zone with Stevie lined up inside.

According to the article he played 17% of his plays in the slot last year which I wouldn't classify as "a ton."  Compare that to a guy like Wayne who played in the slot more than 50% of the time.  Might be a good idea to read the articles you're posting about.

#10 enlightener

enlightener

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Makes sense, hes always been a great number 2, possession receiver.  I see him getting even more 5 yard slants and taking them another 5 yards. I doubt he'll have another 1000 yard season, but if he does, according to some here will that make him best Bills wr of all time.

#11 8and8Forever

8and8Forever

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

View Postenlightener, on 01 August 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

Makes sense, hes always been a great number 2, possession receiver.  I see him getting even more 5 yard slants and taking them another 5 yards. I doubt he'll have another 1000 yard season, but if he does, according to some here will that make him best Bills wr of all time.
Now they need a #1 WR, as they have since Moulds left.   SJ is a nice slot guy with all the moves, etc.  but he doesn't strike fear into defenses like the top guys do.   Lets Hope (there's that word again) someone with real speed grows into the #1 role.   Otherwise SJ will be getting rocked by safeties and LBs all year and probably won't last the season.

#12 eball

eball

    Omar Sly

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,966 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostDadonkadonk, on 01 August 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

He played a ton in the slot last year too so this is not that much of a change.  He and Fitz were great in the red zone with Stevie lined up inside.

17% of his snaps were in the slot according to stats quoted in the linked article by Gaughan -- you consider that a ton?  This is a significant change.

#13 Doc

Doc

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

View Postbillsfanmiami(oh), on 01 August 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

If Rogers and or by some miracle Easley can turn out to be a legit physical outside presence, this WR core could be very dangerous. Stevie gets open period and if we can get a QB in there who will consistently get him the ball I feel like his reception and yardage numbers can grow significantly.
Whither Woods?

#14 Whitewalker Merriman

Whitewalker Merriman

    Professional Kool-Aid Drinker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

I think this is a good sign of progress from TJ and the rookies. I've been holding out hope that Da'Rick would prove himself in camp, and be places as a starter on the outside...or even placing him there for 3 WR sets to let Stevie work the middle.

With TJ apparently impressing with his ability to just sprint past CB's, that gives him a way to stretch the field, Da'Rick is in the Randy Moss mold, and Goodwin can tear the middle and do reverses as a gadget player and Woods is heir apparent to Stevie. This looks like the most talented 5 WR that we've had on the team in a long time.

#15 mrags

mrags

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,716 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postenlightener, on 01 August 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

Makes sense, hes always been a great number 2, possession receiver.


I doubt he'll have another 1000 yard season, but if he does, according to some here will that make him best Bills wr of all time.
Ugh.....


And yes, if he has 4 straight 1,000 yard seasons he might be considered the best Bills WR of all time. He's at least on track to surpass Reed.

#16 jimmy10

jimmy10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

I've always been a leg-man myself, but to each his own.

#17 mrags

mrags

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,716 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

View Post8and8Forever, on 01 August 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

SJ is a nice slot guy with all the moves, etc.  


but he doesn't strike fear into defenses like the top guys do.

Well, considering he's only played 17% of his snaps in the slot how can you can you come to the conclusion that he's a good slot guy? Now if you said he was a good WR then you'd be in to something.

And I'm sure Revis or any other CB in the league would disagree with you.


#18 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

View Postenlightener, on 01 August 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

Makes sense, hes always been a great number 2, possession receiver.  I see him getting even more 5 yard slants and taking them another 5 yards. I doubt he'll have another 1000 yard season, but if he does, according to some here will that make him best Bills wr of all time.

View Post8and8Forever, on 01 August 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

Now they need a #1 WR, as they have since Moulds left.   SJ is a nice slot guy with all the moves, etc.  but he doesn't strike fear into defenses like the top guys do.   Lets Hope (there's that word again) someone with real speed grows into the #1 role.   Otherwise SJ will be getting rocked by safeties and LBs all year and probably won't last the season.

Still curious as to how a guy that (a) is the primary target on the team, (b) ranks in the top 12-20 NFL WRs in every statistical category in each of the last 3 years, and © has a significant degree of success against top CBs like Revis and Sherman, doesn't qualify as a #1?

But don't bother answering, please, because (a) there is no good answer, and (b) I don't want to thread-jack.

#19 mrags

mrags

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,716 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostWhitewalker Merriman, on 01 August 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

I think this is a good sign of progress from TJ and the rookies. I've been holding out hope that Da'Rick would prove himself in camp, and be places as a starter on the outside...or even placing him there for 3 WR sets to let Stevie work the middle.

With TJ apparently impressing with his ability to just sprint past CB's, that gives him a way to stretch the field, Da'Rick is in the Randy Moss mold, and Goodwin can tear the middle and do reverses as a gadget player and Woods is heir apparent to Stevie. This looks like the most talented 5 WR that we've had on the team in a long time.
great post. Agree 100%. I know it's a long shot to hope that Rogers would win a starting job outright but I hope so too. He's the most talented of the WR group and should have been a 1st or 2nd rounder.

View Postthebandit27, on 01 August 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:




Still curious as to how a guy that (a) is the primary target on the team, (b) ranks in the top 12-20 NFL WRs in every statistical category in each of the last 3 years, and © has a significant degree of success against top CBs like Revis and Sherman, doesn't qualify as a #1?

But don't bother answering, please, because (a) there is no good answer, and (b) I don't want to thread-jack.
well done Bandit

#20 The Wiz

The Wiz

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

View Postthebandit27, on 01 August 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Still curious as to how a guy that (a) is the primary target on the team, (b) ranks in the top 12-20 NFL WRs in every statistical category in each of the last 3 years, and © has a significant degree of success against top CBs like Revis and Sherman, doesn't qualify as a #1?

But don't bother answering, please, because (a) there is no good answer, and (b) I don't want to thread-jack.
Good answer... maybe not.  Best answer would be to say him in the slot would be like Welker when he was on the Pats.

I don't have the article but I read somewhere that their skill sets (Woods, Johnson) are pretty much interchangeable(other than speed) so they will be learning both positions.  SJ is still the #1 receiver in my book.  Doesn't matter where they put him, the defense will be watching for him.