134 replies to this topic

#1 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

For what it's worth, I have an "inside source" (the best friend of one of the vets on the team), and he told me that there's a feeling amongst the vets that Marrone is somewhat over the top in terms of being hands on and controlling. The one example cited was that the Bills had a lesson during TC in how they were all supposed to stand during the national anthem (i.e., hold your helmet in this hand, put your feet like this, put your hand like this, etc.).  

I am not sure this is earth shattering news, but I found it mildly interesting--so figured I'd post it.

#2 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

Prowling.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Given what we know about how he ran things at Syracuse, this both inevitable and unsurprising. The man is looking for good soldiers. His way or the high way.

Right, Nigel?

#3 JuanGuzman

JuanGuzman

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Marone doesn't come across as a drill sargent IMO, so I hope he isn't one in. The Greg Schiano's (my way or the highway) of the world I don't think wil be effective coaches for the modern athlete. Yes Tom Coughlin has a couple rings but by his own admission he softned the year of the SuperBowl

iscipline and structure are good bits a fine line, I hope Marrone can balance it.

#4 Lt. Dan's Revenge

Lt. Dan's Revenge

High Motor With Upside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Nathaniel Hackett would appear to be compliment to this type of attitude.  As SJ13 says, handle business and have fun.  It's a good mix!

#5 ddaryl

ddaryl

Dong Work for Yuda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

There is a lot to be said by making sure everyone is on the same page, acts as a unit or as a team I think it promotes a sense of union.

Who cares as long as he gets us the W's

Edited by ddaryl, 20 August 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#6 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

Prowling.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

I think the feeling of 'unrest' that Ann Arbor (always and forever) talked about would best be brought light if we knew which vet felt put off.

#7 beerme1

beerme1

Whadda you lookin at?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Is your friends best friend Mario?

#8 bobblehead

bobblehead

Getting off your damn lawn since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

View Postddaryl, on 20 August 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

There is a lot to be said by making sure everyone is on the same page, acts as a unit or as a team I think it promotes a sense of union.

Who cares as long as he gets us the W's

I was going to say, I doubt that  lesson had all that much to do with the National Anthem.

#9 eball

eball

Omar Sly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Having a litany of "good guy" coaches who all the players love (Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey) hasn't exactly worked out all that well.  Tom Coughlin is another guy the vets had to "get used to" (remember "if you're on time, you're 10 minutes late" for meetings?).  Not surprisingly, Marrone and Coughlin are cut from similar cloth.

#10 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostThe Big Cat, on 20 August 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think the feeling of 'unrest' that Ann Arbor (always and forever) talked about would best be brought light if we knew which vet felt put off.

I'd rather not name anyone expressly, although you may be able to make a pretty educated guess based on my screen name.  He's kind of a "regular" vet (i.e., not one of the superstars on the team).

#11 Just in Atlanta

Just in Atlanta

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Is it John Kreese?

#12 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,531 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 20 August 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

I'd rather not name anyone expressly, although you may be able to make a pretty educated guess based on my screen name.  He's kind of a "regular" vet (i.e., not one of the superstars on the team).

you... um... might not want to name him in other posts if you dont want his name associated here... although it seems you dont mind too much. just something to consider if you are actually worried about sharing the name.

Edited by NoSaint, 20 August 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#13 yall

yall

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

I heard Belicheat and Coughlin are both control freaks. Good company.

#14 UncleMonkeyHead

UncleMonkeyHead

UDFA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

As I recall when the bills were looking for a HC

View Posteball, on 20 August 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Having a litany of "good guy" coaches who all the players love (Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey) hasn't exactly worked out all that well.  Tom Coughlin is another guy the vets had to "get used to" (remember "if you're on time, you're 10 minutes late" for meetings?).  Not surprisingly, Marrone and Coughlin are cut from similar cloth.

As I recall, prior to the 2004 season, during the quest for a new head coach, I was spit at and mocked for saying I would like the FO to pursue Tom Caughlin. From hair cuts to hurt feelings, he transformed the Giants into the only team who can consistently beat Captain Hoodie and his merry men from Foxboro.

Here's to hoping we have at least a fraction of a Tom Coughlin-type leader.

Edited by UncleMonkeyHead, 20 August 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#15 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 20 August 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

you... um... might not want to name him in other posts if you dont want his name associated here... although it seems you dont mind too much. just something to consider if you are actually worried about sharing the name.

Yeah, you're probably right. But, again, it was kind of an unremarkable observation, so I am not sure there is a real issue if it comes out.

#16 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

Prowling.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 20 August 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

My money's on @scorindorin

#17 MOFO

MOFO

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have no problem with this...I think it looks bad when the camera pans the team and guys look disinterested and are warming up...

I have heard of coaches asking players to do things, just to see if they will follow instruction...if a guy wont stand the way I ask them, will they play the way I ask them...who knows..either way I'm good with it...

#18 BobChalmers

BobChalmers

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostJust in Atlanta, on 20 August 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Is it John Kreese?

You mean Gregg "Kobra Kai" Williams??

Big advantage Marrone has over the loser Gregg "Kreese" Willams is that he actually busted his own tail playing NFL ball so he brings some credibility, not just an air horn and an ego.

#19 HurlyBurly51

HurlyBurly51

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

You know what they say, opinions are like !@#$s, everyones got one and they all stink!

#20 K-9

K-9

Long Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,722 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Gotta break 'em down before you build them up. I expect a few washouts along the way.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9, 20 August 2013 - 03:01 PM.