78 replies to this topic

#1 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

What do you think the best and worst opening games have been in Bills history?

For me, the worst was the Jax game about 9 years ago, when they beat us on the last play of the game. (there are about 5 horrible games that are candidates).

The best was Kelly over the fins on the QB sneak at the buzzer.

Anyone else?

#2 BarkLessWagMore

BarkLessWagMore

Thanks Terry and Kim!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'll go with beating the Pats 31-0. Sam Adams high stepping into the end zone and the place was bonkers.

#3 smuvtalker

smuvtalker

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostBarkLessWagMore, on 04 September 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'll go with beating the Pats 31-0. Sam Adams high stepping into the end zone and the place was bonkers.

Gotta second that one. We were going bananas when that happened.

#4 ganesh

ganesh

You can do things on a football field that are severely illegal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,123 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostBarkLessWagMore, on 04 September 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

+1.  

One of the worst one had to be the spanking by the Jets last year.  With so much expectations built, that team came out like a bunch of losers.

#5 ScottLaw

ScottLaw

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

MNF against the Patriots in 2009 I think. We had them beat until McKelvin fumbled a kick off return and Brady capitalized.

Edited by ScottLaw, 04 September 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#6 Buftex

Buftex

JIM KELLY: the reason for the seasons!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,892 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

The Pats game was awesome, and right up there... but for this 40-ish, close to 50 year old, the greatest opening day games, in my lifetime (both which I was lucky enough to be at):

#1- 1980- Bills snap the Dolphins streak, tear down the goal posts... it was a really wild scene, back in the days when things were a bit more spontaneous than they are now...Bills win 17-7, and it was the beginning of a short burst of great Buffalo Bills football....an era where, for the first time in my life (just a tad too young to remember the 1965 Bills..the year I was born), it wasn't a laughable notion that the Bills were one of the elite teams in the NFL.

#2- 1986- the Bills lose to the Jets 28-26...if they had won, I might rank this as my #1.  This was Jim Kellys' first start as a Buffalo Bill.  It may sound corny, especially these days, when so many here seem to have disdain for those heroes from the Super Bowl losing teams, but I don't think I have ever been to a live sports event (I have been to a lot) where there was more electricity in the air...from the introduction of the teams, right up to the final drive of the game, where Kelly threw a pick as he was trying to give the Bills the lead...the place was rocking.  Kelly just had an aura about him on the field...coming off those back to back miserable 2-14 seasons, it was so mind blowing...no more "triple threat" of Ferragamo/Mathison/Dufek... just a "real NFL QB"... it really did feel like the beginning of something special.  Really wish I could be there this Sunday... I am so hoping that EJ Manuel has a similar debut...win or lose.

#7 djp14150

djp14150

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Best....

Buffalo end the streak against miami

Buffalo 31-0 over New england

Buffalo over seattle 34-10

tough loses....

Denver at home 15-14 on last second FG

Los at NE 25-24 in final 2 minutes.

#8 Buftex

Buftex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,892 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostScottLaw, on 04 September 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

MNF against the Patriots in 2005? I think. We had them beat until McKelvin fumbled a kick off return and Brady capitalized.

Wasn't that 2008.. TO's (quiet) debut with the Bills?  I don' think Leodis was on the 2005 team.

#9 run dat back

run dat back

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 04 September 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

What do you think the best and worst opening games have been in Bills history?

For me, the worst was the Jax game about 9 years ago, when they beat us on the last play of the game. (there are about 5 horrible games that are candidates).

The best was Kelly over the fins on the QB sneak at the buzzer.

Anyone else?

Clements suffered third degree burns on that huge 4th down completion.

#10 Max997

Max997

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Best for me was vs Phins in 91 when Bills came back after slow start

Too many worst games to pick one

View Postrun dat back, on 04 September 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Clements suffered third degree burns on that huge 4th down completion.

Wasn't that like 4th and 18 and Defense called an all out blitz with no safety help... Just an awful call

#11 Buftex

Buftex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,892 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Not sure if it was the worst (it was actually a very entertaining game) but the opening day loss to the Jets in 2002, in OT was pretty awul...Bledsoe, in his first game as a Bill, was brilliant....he led them the game tying drive in the final minutes, only to have the great offensive effort flushed down the toilet, when Chad Morton returned the opening kick-off of OT for the winning score...that sucked!  As did the Bills special team units that day... as I recall, it was Morton's second kick return of the day for a TD.

#12 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

You guys are bringing back a lot of bad memories.

Anyone remember the OT loss to the jets when chad Morton returned 2 kickoffs for TD's?

#13 djp14150

djp14150

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostBuftex, on 04 September 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Wasn't that 2008.. TO's (quiet) debut with the Bills?  I don' think Leodis was on the 2005 team.

It was 2009...Buffalo up 24-15 late in the 4th.....

NE gets a late TD failed 2 pt for 24-19.

Kickoff and McKelvin fumble the kickoff giving NE a short field to get a TD.

Then on a different note----there was the Kevin Everett game in 2007.

#14 Campy

Campy

Mac Cailein Mor, ne obliviscaris!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostBuftex, on 04 September 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Not sure if it was the worst (it was actually a very entertaining game) but the opening day loss to the Jets in 2002, in OT was pretty awul...Bledsoe, in his first game as a Bill, was brilliant....he led them the game tying drive in the final minutes, only to have the great offensive effort flushed down the toilet, when Chad Morton returned the opening kick-off of OT for the winning score...that sucked!  As did the Bills special team units that day... as I recall, it was Morton's second kick return of the day for a TD.
Yep.  That was the year I met you.  But, without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Morton returned one for a TD to end regulation and get the tie after the PAT only to have Bflo lose the flip and the NJJets received and Morton brought that one back.  I think - and I could be wrong - that he had TDs on consecutive plays...  That was a brutal loss.

As for the wins, when we got fat Sam and Lawyer and stomped on the Pats*, that was pretty special, but I gotta give the nod to the opener in 1980 when the Bills ended the 0-for-the-70s streak against the Fish...  That was even more special.

Edited by Campy, 04 September 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#15 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostBuftex, on 04 September 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Weird-- posted this at the same time as you. Crazy how many bad ones there were.

#16 djp14150

djp14150

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostCampy, on 04 September 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Yep.  That was the year I met you.  But, without looking it up, I'm pretty sure Morton returned one for a TD to end regulation and get the tie after the PAT only to have Bflo lose the flip and the NJJets received and Morton brought that one back.  I think - and I could be wrong - that he had TDs on consecutive plays...  That was a brutal loss.

As for the wins, when we got fat Sam and Lawyer and stomped on the Pats*, that was pretty special, but I gotta give the nod to the opener in 1980 when the Bills ended the 0-for-the-70s streak against the Fish...  That was even more special.

It was 2002////

He returned a KO in the 2nd Q and then again at the start of OT.....

#17 Campy

Campy

Mac Cailein Mor, ne obliviscaris!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postdjp14150, on 04 September 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

It was 2002////

He returned a KO in the 2nd Q and then again at the start of OT.....
Cool, thanks for the clarification.

#18 Charles Romes

Charles Romes

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostBuftex, on 04 September 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

The Pats game was awesome, and right up there... but for this 40-ish, close to 50 year old, the greatest opening day games, in my lifetime (both which I was lucky enough to be at):

#1- 1980- Bills snap the Dolphins streak, tear down the goal posts... it was a really wild scene, back in the days when things were a bit more spontaneous than they are now...Bills win 17-7, and it was the beginning of a short burst of great Buffalo Bills football....an era where, for the first time in my life (just a tad too young to remember the 1965 Bills..the year I was born), it wasn't a laughable notion that the Bills were one of the elite teams in the NFL.

#2- 1986- the Bills lose to the Jets 28-26...if they had won, I might rank this as my #1.  This was Jim Kellys' first start as a Buffalo Bill.  It may sound corny, especially these days, when so many here seem to have disdain for those heroes from the Super Bowl losing teams, but I don't think I have ever been to a live sports event (I have been to a lot) where there was more electricity in the air...from the introduction of the teams, right up to the final drive of the game, where Kelly threw a pick as he was trying to give the Bills the lead...the place was rocking.  Kelly just had an aura about him on the field...coming off those back to back miserable 2-14 seasons, it was so mind blowing...no more "triple threat" of Ferragamo/Mathison/Dufek... just a "real NFL QB"... it really did feel like the beginning of something special.  Really wish I could be there this Sunday... I am so hoping that EJ Manuel has a similar debut...win or lose.

Kelly had zero interceptions his first game.

#19 billsfan1959

billsfan1959

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostBuftex, on 04 September 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

For us old timers, that one was it. For all the younger posters, think of how much you despise the Patriots and how badly you want nothing more than for the Bills to beat them this Sunday (as do I). I'm not sure if that still equals the contempt we had for Miami after going 0 for the 70s against them. Not one single win against them the entire decade. If the 31-0 beatdown they put on the Pats were to happen now, the feeling might be pretty close to the same. As it is, that 31-0 stomping is my second favorite.

Edited by billsfan1959, 04 September 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#20 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,889 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 04 September 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

You guys are bringing back a lot of bad memories.

Anyone remember the OT loss to the jets when chad Morton returned 2 kickoffs for TD's?
I was there. Place was silent when he got to the 30

Best opener was a few years ago against the raiders. Winning on the final drive, the next week was the comeback vs the Pats

Worst game to watch was Trent's last home game as a starter against Miami a few years ago. He had played so well in the preseason then was sacked on the third play from scrimmage on a plainly obvious blitz. I swear he just waited to get hit