Jump to content


I hope Marrone learned from this game.


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Harryhood280

Harryhood280

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

I was very happy with EJs play and his exuberance and energy on the field. His stats would have been much better without a couple key drops and a few big plays being called back with penalties. (It was almost like the officials had a certain gameplan in mind themselves! imagine that).

The defense was pretty damn good imo against one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL and without their two best players in the secondary. Amendola was just a monster on their winning drive, I couldn't believe that he was holding on to all of those passes over the middle.

But the clock management and use of Spiller was really atrocious. There is a time to run a speed offense, and there is a time to slow things down. If Doug and Hackett didn't get that difference drilled into their heads today they will soon enough with more winnable games turning into losses. I was left shaking my head with that last offensive drive for the Bills, and I knew then the game was lost. As for Spiller, he is not a power back. They basically ran the same play over and over again, driving him off tackle. Spread the field, give him space to run with screens and outside runs. Obviously you can spread some of the blame on the blocking but not all.

These are rookie coaches, and we have to give them a long leash. I just hope we see them learning on the job rather than them being stubborn and trying to stick with the flawed aspects of their game today. All in all, it was a really tough loss but it's hard to come away from that one too depressed. Their are bright things ahead for this team. The coaches just need to adapt and not get in the way.

#2 microscopes

microscopes

    RFA

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:44 AM

The up tempo offense was in no way responsible for today's loss.

None.

As it was, the Patriots had to run out the last 2 minutes of clock. And they could have ran out an additional minute if they needed to.

#3 billsgpr88

billsgpr88

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

Totally agree with OP. BTW, great username, favorite version of Hood myself would be Pershing Hall 10.21.95..... But I digress

#4 Mickey

Mickey

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostHarryhood280, on 08 September 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I was very happy with EJs play and his exuberance and energy on the field. His stats would have been much better without a couple key drops and a few big plays being called back with penalties. (It was almost like the officials had a certain gameplan in mind themselves! imagine that).

The defense was pretty damn good imo against one of the best QBs in the history of the NFL and without their two best players in the secondary. Amendola was just a monster on their winning drive, I couldn't believe that he was holding on to all of those passes over the middle.

But the clock management and use of Spiller was really atrocious. There is a time to run a speed offense, and there is a time to slow things down. If Doug and Hackett didn't get that difference drilled into their heads today they will soon enough with more winnable games turning into losses. I was left shaking my head with that last offensive drive for the Bills, and I knew then the game was lost. As for Spiller, he is not a power back. They basically ran the same play over and over again, driving him off tackle. Spread the field, give him space to run with screens and outside runs. Obviously you can spread some of the blame on the blocking but not all.

These are rookie coaches, and we have to give them a long leash. I just hope we see them learning on the job rather than them being stubborn and trying to stick with the flawed aspects of their game today. All in all, it was a really tough loss but it's hard to come away from that one too depressed. Their are bright things ahead for this team. The coaches just need to adapt and not get in the way.
It was lost because we didn't get a first down, not because we ran the hurry up.  There was almost 6 minutes left in the game (5:51), the Pats had all three time outs plus the 2 minute warning, were only down one and ended the game with over 400 yards of offense.  They finished the last drive with 2 time outs still left and with Brady taking a knee twice. Do you seriously think that running clock on a three and out possession would have made any difference at all? They needed more points and they definitely needed a first down.  The didn't get either. They were then unable to stop the Patriots on that last drive. And that is why they lost. They were simply outplayed with the game on the line.

#5 Coach Tuesday

Coach Tuesday

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

I hope Marrone learns from every game...

#6 Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

    he who smelt it

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Did anyone else notice that on our first challenge it didn't look like we recovered the supposed fumble?  So what was the point of the challenge?

#7 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostCaptain Caveman, on 09 September 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Did anyone else notice that on our first challenge it didn't look like we recovered the supposed fumble?  So what was the point of the challenge?
Someone said that they thought Marrone must have gotten incorrect info from the staff members who are responsible for telling him when to challenge. That is the only explanation.

I saw Dan Patrick on the NBC pre-game show last night basically laughing at Marrone's Press Conf. He said that it was obvious he was a college coach with how he handled the loss (when he said it was devastating). He said you can't wear your emptions on your sleeve like that in the NFL. I have to admit I was a bit surprised that Marrone said that and acted like it was going to be so hard to get over this. I think he meant that this game was so important to the community, etc because it was Game 1 against the Pats. But aside from vets like Freddy, Wood, etc. I am not sure the rest of the players who just got here feel like it was devastating. The Bills may be 2-23 or whetever against the Pats but this is their 1st loss, so I think they are "on to the next." As for us fans, we all knew it was a loss as soon as Brady got the ball back. We have been there many, many times. So not a shock. Sucks all the same.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo, 09 September 2013 - 07:52 AM.


#8 zow2

zow2

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

Of course Marrone learned.  He's not some idiot that refuses to learn from his mistakes.  I bet he could list 25 things that he learned as a new NFL head coach yesterday. I have no doubt that he is the right guy to lead this team and will adjust as we move ahead.

#9 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostCaptain Caveman, on 09 September 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Did anyone else notice that on our first challenge it didn't look like we recovered the supposed fumble?  So what was the point of the challenge?
He made a mistake.

#10 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

View Postzow2, on 09 September 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Of course Marrone learned.  He's not some idiot that refuses to learn from his mistakes.  I bet he could list 25 things that he learned as a new NFL head coach yesterday. I have no doubt that he is the right guy to lead this team and will adjust as we move ahead.
I hope you are right... again I didn't see the game and listened on radio, but I "saw" a lot of positive things. But I feel Spiller was under utilized and could wring SJ13's neck. As with any close games, you want to point to one thing and say "that is why we lost." But, there are so many things that go right and go wrong. How many times has Brady EVER fumbled on the goal line? I doubt he ever has, or ever will again. When he did that, I thought that we might just win this one.

#11 dpberr

dpberr

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

There are things to be worked on but I was pleasantly surprised by the Bills performance, Marrone included, on Sunday.

I wasn't expecting perfection.  Marrone and Company gave me what I was looking for-a competitive team for all four quarters, not just the first two like we had gotten used to over the last three years.

#12 John in Jax

John in Jax

    Professional

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

View Postzow2, on 09 September 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Of course Marrone learned.  He's not some idiot that refuses to learn from his mistakes.  I bet he could list 25 things that he learned as a new NFL head coach yesterday. I have no doubt that he is the right guy to lead this team and will adjust as we move ahead.

Thanks for chiming in, Doug Marrone's Uncle.  LOL

But what about his post game presser, where he acted like a 10 year-old who just came in second at the Pinewood Derby races?

#13 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostJohn in Jax, on 09 September 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Thanks for chiming in, Doug Marrone's Uncle.  LOL

But what about his post game presser, where he acted like a 10 year-old who just came in second at the Pinewood Derby races?
:lol: