6 replies to this topic

#1 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Toying with the idea of getting a light pickup truck, like a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. Any input on either or suggestions on another?

#2 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,153 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Toying with the idea of getting a light pickup truck, like a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. Any input on either or suggestions on another?

You said you were interested in getting a LPT ... why bring those two up?

Is it going to be a daily driver? A weekend warrior truck? An extra toy in the garage?

#3 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Is used okay? I liked my Ford Ranger, but they stopped making them a year or two ago. I got over 200,000 miles on my 1998 XLT model, 2WD, 3.0 liter V6. Only reason I didn't get another was financial.

#4 Gugny

Gugny

Yeah, I'm a baseball guy at heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Is used okay? I liked my Ford Ranger, but they stopped making them a year or two ago. I got over 200,000 miles on my 1998 XLT model, 2WD, 3.0 liter V6. Only reason I didn't get another was financial.

My buddy's Ranger also has well over 200K. A used Ranger is a hell of a lot less expensive than a used Tacoma. Those things hold their value the best out of any small p/u trucks.

#5 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,656 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've had both. Preferred the Nissan. I can't exactly say why, it was more of a general "manufacturing quality" thing than anything else. It just felt like it was put together better.

#6 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Is it going to be a daily driver? A weekend warrior truck? An extra toy in the garage?

Not a daily driver, maybe a couple times a week. More to have one when I need it than having to bug somebody with a truck

Is used okay? I liked my Ford Ranger,

Late model used is okay, but almost as much as buying new. Would love a Ranger, but like you said they don't make them anymore

#7 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,153 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Not a daily driver, maybe a couple times a week. More to have one when I need it than having to bug somebody with a truck

Late model used is okay, but almost as much as buying new. Would love a Ranger, but like you said they don't make them anymore

You're in VA, look around good, I am sure you could find a pretty good deal. I'd not get anything 2wd. You get enough snow there that it could make some days worse then others and having 4wd is just worth it.

There are likely some good used ones out there if you're not going to do a daily driver - I'm talking an early 00's and maybe even a late 90's model that would be enough for this. I've seen 4wd Rangers and S10's/Colorado's go for $3-4k with less then 60,000 miles.