Jump to content


ESPN...Teams targeting tired Bills D


  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Kemp2Warlick

Kemp2Warlick

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:14 AM


ESPN NFL Nation@ESPN_NFLNation8m

Opponents targeting tired Bills defense http://es.pn/1bKEqqZ


View summary


#2 KGUNBILLS

KGUNBILLS

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

Has Rodak been reading what we write on TBD? I did not know he was so clever. Brilliant!!!


#3 QCity

QCity

    GM

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Great article - love the breakdown by quarter. The only thing Hackett is doing with his "fast" offense is wearing down our own team.

#4 CSBill

CSBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Yuuup, the hurry-up offense will wear a defense out, yours, and even the opponents sometimes.

#5 Dean Cain

Dean Cain

    DAS AUTO

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

"My left quad got worn down with 2:00 to go in the 4th Qtr." Alex Carrington

#6 MDFan

MDFan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

There is a better way to fix it - make first downs.  No matter how much they slow down, if the cannot stay on the filed, it is not going to help.  Pace is not the problem - execution is.  If they cannot fix that, it does not matter how long they do or do not take to snap the ball.

#7 Triple Threat

Triple Threat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostMDFan, on 27 September 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

There is a better way to fix it - make first downs.  No matter how much they slow down, if the cannot stay on the filed, it is not going to help.  Pace is not the problem - execution is.  If they cannot fix that, it does not matter how long they do or do not take to snap the ball.
It just doesn't matter as much if they don't make first downs.  Clearly going 3 and out kills your defense but you're dismissing all the other opportunities for rest.   What about 2 first downs and then a punt?  That could be anywhere from say 2-4.5 minutes.  Ask anyone who's ever boxed, wrestled, or played on the line in football, that kind of rest can be crucial.  We're not ready to run plays that fast.  In theory it sounds simply wonderful with the problems we have on offense it sounds stubborn.

#8 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,336 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostMDFan, on 27 September 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

There is a better way to fix it - make first downs.  No matter how much they slow down, if the cannot stay on the filed, it is not going to help.  Pace is not the problem - execution is.  If they cannot fix that, it does not matter how long they do or do not take to snap the ball.

Frankly, that's not an option at this point. Slowing down is.

#9 Sisyphean Bills

Sisyphean Bills

    Trusst Brandon

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Isn't that an offense's job?  Tired or not?

"In other news, NFL offenses will try to score points this weekend!"

#10 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

    Jim K is tough but so is being a Bills fan

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,587 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostQCity, on 27 September 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

Great article - love the breakdown by quarter. The only thing Hackett is doing with his "fast" offense is wearing down our own team.

Agreed.

#11 Punch

Punch

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostTriple Threat, on 27 September 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

It just doesn't matter as much if they don't make first downs.  Clearly going 3 and out kills your defense but you're dismissing all the other opportunities for rest.   What about 2 first downs and then a punt?  That could be anywhere from say 2-4.5 minutes.  Ask anyone who's ever boxed, wrestled, or played on the line in football, that kind of rest can be crucial.  We're not ready to run plays that fast.  In theory it sounds simply wonderful with the problems we have on offense it sounds stubborn.

Getting 2 first downs and punting is still making first downs and is not a pace or tempo related solution to extending drives.

Right?

#12 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Ugh. Just ugh. :wallbash:

#13 BillsFanM.D.

BillsFanM.D.

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Every time this topic comes up I can only think of Parcells after Super Bowl 25:  "Power wins football games."  He repeated it so many times I think I remember puking.  

In essence, he was dissing the 'no huddle, hurry up game' the Bills employed.....and trumpeting traditional offense.  Sounds like the current debate all these years later.

#14 silvermike

silvermike

    The voice of reason is not my friend.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

If we're going to do this, I'd like to see a bigger commitment to depth on defense.  If we can't keep them off the field, let's get enough mid-range guys to keep the personnel shifting long enough to give them some air.

#15 kobe808lak

kobe808lak

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

I'd like to see the coaches scrap this no huddle garbage, it makes no sense with such a young offense.

#16 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postkobe808lak, on 27 September 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'd like to see the coaches scrap this no huddle garbage, it makes no sense with such a young offense.
I read the opposite awhile ago... that they actually tend to use it more with young/rookie QBs because it helps them with the defenses not being able to substitute. Not sure how accurate that is but it made sense at the time. No, I don't have a link. :)

#17 bobm

bobm

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Even Dick Jauron was smart enough to scrap the no huddle uptempo offense.  Hope Marrone does the same.

#18 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostYoloInTheBlo, on 27 September 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

I read the opposite awhile ago... that they actually tend to use it more with young/rookie QBs because it helps them with the defenses not being able to substitute. Not sure how accurate that is but it made sense at the time. No, I don't have a link. :)
That was probably true at one point but defenses have adapted.  The Jets seemed to substitute without too many issues last Sunday.

#19 RevWarRifleman

RevWarRifleman

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostMDFan, on 27 September 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

There is a better way to fix it - make first downs.  No matter how much they slow down, if the cannot stay on the filed, it is not going to help.  Pace is not the problem - execution is.  If they cannot fix that, it does not matter how long they do or do not take to snap the ball.
+1

#20 K-9

K-9

    Long Timer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Using the same 3rd down conversion percentage, I would invite anybody with the time or inclination to calculate just how much extra rest time the offense would have saved for our defense by taking the maximum time allowed between snaps.

Rogers wasn't undressed in the secondary because he was tired.

Our LBs didn't take improper pursuit angles or over pursue because they were tired.

It's a question of execution.

GO BILLS!!!