181 replies to this topic

#1 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Okay, here's the deal: A few years ago I got tired of being heavy and changed my eating and exercise habits and in 6 months I went from 250+ pounds to 185. By maintaining my new lifestyle, I have kept it off since.

Recently, Poojer has started a similar regimine and he is starting to see some results. I have supreme confidence that he'll get to where he wants to be.

I know from my own experience that starting is the hardest part and that ecouragement and having a sounding board is of great help.

With that in mind, I am hoping to motivate a few of you to make the change in your body weight that will lead to greater happiness and greater health. From now to the end of the Bills' season let's see if we can have a massive loss of weight amongst the fans of the greatest football team ever to pull on shoulder pads.

If you're in just post how much weight you're looking to lose and we'll use this space to monitor and motivate everyone toward their goal.

As incentive I am offering (1) Grand Prize Gift Certificate of $50 and (2) $25 Gift Certificates for both 2nd and 3rd place.

The certificates can be for any number of retail outlets (Like WalMart or Target) or a number of national restaurants chains. (I get them through my rewards program so I'll give the winners a list to choose from).

Enrollment begins now and will run through Oct 12th.

I hope to see far less of you by the season finale. :)

Edited by ChevyVanMiller, 02 October 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#2 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,238 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Always good to see people trying to help the TBD community. care to share any of the food or exercise changes as a jumping off point on the discussion?

it always amazes me how much simple things like trading soda/juice for water can do

#3 MarkAF43

MarkAF43

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

I'm in. Back in January 2012 I was up to 270 pounds. I'm currently sitting at 231 and would like to hit 200. This is a great thing and the support is always helpful. Nowadays I'm in the gym 5-6 days a week and running 7-9 miles a day 4 days a week. I can't believe the difference but being able to help others is a big deal to me.

Lets do it!!!

#4 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Always good to see people trying to help the TBD community. care to share any of the food or exercise changes as a jumping off point on the discussion?

it always amazes me how much simple things like trading soda/juice for water can do

In short, I made 3 basic changes:

1) I stopped all fast food. (Other than the occassional McDonald's ice cream cone - 170 calories - I haven't eaten any FF stuff in over 3 years)
2.) I started walking and do a mile-and-a-half walk or longer twice daily.
3.) I never eat after 7 PM.

Those 3 changes were the framework of my weight-loss plan. Additionally, I eventually switched to fat free milk and whole grain breads. Water in place of soda (even diet soda - I limit myself to one a day with dinner) is a big help.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller, 02 October 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#5 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,238 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

In short, I made 3 basic changes:

1) I stopped all fast food. (Other than the occassional McDonald's ice cream come - 170 calories - I haven't eaten any FF stuff in over 3 years)
2.) I started walking and do a mile-and-a-half walk or longer twice daily.
3.) I never eat after 7 PM.

Those 3 changes were the framework of my weight-loss plan. Additionally, I eventually switched to fat free milk and whole grain breads. Water in place of soda (even diet soda - I limit myself to one a day with dinner) is a big help.

yup - its amazing how reasonable life style tweaks, as opposed to wholesale crash diets, can make such a big difference. once you make one a habit, its easy to add another little tweak, and before you know it you are in pretty good shape.

#6 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

Obnoxiously Obtuse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,055 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

I weighed in at 218.1 this morning

Down from 246 in January.

Bring it.

My 2013 goal was to get down to 210.

Don't think that'll happen this week, but I've dipped as low as 213.

I'll shoot for 212 ON Oct 12. I'll send pics of the scale, day of.

#7 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Although I hate to look at any pictures of me before the weight loss here is a look at before/after which I hope will help motivate some of you.

Here's me before the weight loss at nearly 260 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OyEynwdAY

Edited by ChevyVanMiller, 02 October 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#8 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Here's me after at 185lbs, which I still maintain.(although I know I have to work at it daily)

#9 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm in. there's several 'biggest loser' toolkits to set guidelines, rules, etc, naturally everyone would be on the honor system. Lets pick a date(anytime after next week) and get it going.

naturally if anyone uses any exercise apps that track and monitor and share their progress, please share them. I am using mapmywalk for my walks and gym work, if there are better ones out there(cross o/s platforms) let me know.

i don't have an after picture yet, but this is from a couple weeks ago..

Nice job on the before and after, but frankly, you have more than weight to worry about :-).

I'm in. there's several 'biggest loser' toolkits to set guidelines, rules, etc, naturally everyone would be on the honor system. Lets pick a date(anytime after next week) and get it going.

naturally if anyone uses any exercise apps that track and monitor and share their progress, please share them. I am using mapmywalk for my walks and gym work, if there are better ones out there(cross o/s platforms) let me know.

Edited by The Poojer, 02 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#10 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I am on the " workout like a bitch" weight loss plan LOL.

Seriously , started training again in May when 223, now I am 189. Most attributable to exercise, but like Chevy I have cut out fast food for the most part. If starving and late to an appointment, I may get a McDonalds grilled chicken wrap, or a fresca steak taco from Taco Bell.

Breakfast of either oatmeal , eggs, or Greek yogurt and fruit helps cut down the crap I was eating for lunch.

Having fish/seafood now twice a week for dinner, veggie portion always bigger than protein portion. Quinao swapped for rice/taters most nights.

Last vice is beers and candy bars for desert...but damn man got to have some fun no?

Edited by plenzmd1, 02 October 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#11 Gugny

Gugny

Yeah, I'm a baseball guy at heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

I've been on Weight Watchers for almost a year and a half. I'm taking my weight loss slowly, but I'm okay with that. I've lost about 40 pounds.

Low fat. High Fiber. Lots of fluids (beer counts - it's the one thing I did not give up). Plus I walk at least 3 miles/day; usually 4-5. I am in my 3rd week of "Couch to 5K." which is an app that, over an 8 week period (working out 3 days/week), trains you to run a 5K.

I've never run in my life. When I quit smoking (May 2012, also when I joined Weight Watchers), I made it a goal to get to 180 (I'm at 185 now) and run a 5K.

I wish everyone success with their personal goals!!!!
Attached File  metsgame.jpg   50.33KB   48 downloadsAttached File  largemouth1.jpg   77.85KB   48 downloads

#12 JM57

JM57

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm down roughly 30 since June 15 with an end goal of 45-50

#13 Jy Re

Jy Re

Up Yer Kilt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,038 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Count me in. I always put on weight in winter and topped out at 268 in the March/April timeframe. I'm at 252 right now. I'd ideally love to get to 225. Unfortunately some old snacking habits are starting to creep in already.

#14 BUFFALOKIE

BUFFALOKIE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I definately need to drop a pound or two. Be right back....

Done. Now about that gift certificate...

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land, 02 October 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#15 Quester74

Quester74

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

In June of 2012 I was diagnosed with CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia).. weight crashed from 270ish down to 200 in the 6 months prior to my diagnosis.. but, after 6 months of Chemo was declared in remission, and currently on a 2 year maintence schedule (Chemo).

During the original cycles of Chemo, I had very little reaction to the treatments (No fatigue, hair loss.. nothing.) So, eventually my appetite came roaring back.. I am now back up to around 250 lbs.. and am looking to get into shape. (Don't have a problem with the number on the scale.. just what it looks like in the mirror. HA!) So, I'm game for this, too.. Wouldn't mind too much to see a smaller number on the scale (say around 225-230.. I'm 6'1".) When it comes right down to it.. I just want to look better naked, (Recently started seeing someone who in fact DOES look great naked.. added incentive.) No Pooj, I'm not posting pics.

So long story short.. I'm in.

#16 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'll join this! I'm in Ohio right now, but I will weigh in when I get back on Tuesday.

One thing I'd love to do is start lifting weights, but I've never done it before and don't really know what I'm doing. Never have taken a weightlifting class in my life. Any tips on getting started?

Edited by BlueFire, 02 October 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#17 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,382 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am in. Really need this. I dropped 20 pounds last summer, but put it back on. Am at 210, and would love to get to 180.

@gugny. I did couch to 5k. Got me hooked on watching bonanza reruns too while I ran!

#18 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,561 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

I win. I just lost 25 pounds in 30 seconds.

I cut off my leg.

Edited by Chef Jim, 02 October 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#19 Bad Things

Bad Things

expat in New Zealand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

Count me in.

#20 BUFFALOKIE

BUFFALOKIE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

I win. I just lost 25 pounds in 30 seconds.

I cut off my leg.

How are you you preparing it?