5 replies to this topic

#1 Guffalo

Guffalo

Perpetuating useful fiction since 1960

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

My daughter is in South Carolina at school. Due to construction at the campus, parking is such a bear that she needs to leave about an hour before classes to find parking.

I am looking at mopeds/scooters to allow for easy parking Does anyone have any advice or experience with them.

Option 1 Near campus they lease/sell chinese Taotao scoots, about $850 to buy, $650 to lease. I have heard bad noise about the reliability

Option 2 There is an Italiajet 50 about an hour away from me, $800 to buy. 155 miles on it, 2001, according to owner runs great

Option 3 There is a Vespa near where she is located (about 2 1/2 hours away) $1950 to buy, low miles (under 200)

I think I am stuck between #2 and #3 . The vespa will have better resale value, while the italiajet is a quality bike for considerably less.

Any thoughts?

#2 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,256 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

I forgot which school she is at but I will guess Clemson or USC. Either way, scooters are cheap as heck here. Look around a little, they can be sleazy around this area.

A lot of guys I used to work with drove them. Seems like the biggest issue was that when they needed repairs it got pretty pricey. Plus, as happened a few times, they'd break down at the store or work. You can't just leave it in some places for a couple hours. Getting it to a shop wasn't easy, but it was funny to see them pushing them down the street.

#3 \GoBillsInDallas/

\GoBillsInDallas/

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Speaking from experience, I went through this twice.

As far as mechanical reliability, there isn't much difference between any model out there.

The problem that you will have (guaranteed) is damage due to vandalism due to attempted theft. They are easily re-sellable on the balck market, so people will try to steal them continuously. And if you put locks on them, people will try to move them, sometimes forcibly, and if they break spokes or bend the wheel while doing so, it's your tough luck.

Whatever you do decide to buy:

Buy two big-a$$ locks, put one on each wheel, and make sure that the wheel will not move at all once the locks are on.
Check with your insurance company - there will be a LOT of $300 repairs to fix vandalism, and it's all out of your pocket.

#4 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,631 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure if I'm too late the the party here however my wife has driven a scooter for a few years now. She got really sick and we attributed that to riding the bus everyday to work. She did her research and came to the conclusion that Vespas are too expensive and you're paying for the hip factor. Whatever you do don't get any of the cheap Chinese scooters. Hopefully she didn't go with the Italiajet 50. The only reason I say that is 50cc just doesn't have enough get up and go. Not sure about the hills she'll need to climb but as you can imagine here in the Bay Area we have tons of hills and she went with 125cc. What she settled on was a Honda Vino (ahhhh, how can you not like a scooter with that name). She has has zero issues with it mechanically. And GBID, not sure where you're getting them being stolen constantly. We've not heard anything about that here and there are tons, I mean TONS of scooters here.

Posted Image

#5 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'm not sure if I'm too late the the party here however my wife has driven a scooter for a few years now. She got really sick and we attributed that to riding the bus everyday to work. She did her research and came to the conclusion that Vespas are too expensive and you're paying for the hip factor. Whatever you do don't get any of the cheap Chinese scooters. Hopefully she didn't go with the Italiajet 50. The only reason I say that is 50cc just doesn't have enough get up and go. Not sure about the hills she'll need to climb but as you can imagine here in the Bay Area we have tons of hills and she went with 125cc. What she settled on was a Honda Vino (ahhhh, how can you not like a scooter with that name). She has has zero issues with it mechanically. And GBID, not sure where you're getting them being stolen constantly. We've not heard anything about that here and there are tons, I mean TONS of scooters here.

I think the theft issue is probably due to you being in San Francisco and many people there have too weak of wrists to turn a wrench and steal one...

#6 Guffalo

Guffalo

Perpetuating useful fiction since 1960

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

We ended up with the Italia jet, for the price of the chinese bike, it has the same engine (Piaggio) that comes with the Vespa. I bought a lock, and what we found was there is a reinforced spot marked on the frame for the lock, so we don't need to lock it at the wheels. It is a 50 cc, which does not require a motorcycle license and it goes about 30 mph with me on it, since she is 105lbs so it should be enough power.

Thanks or the help, I didn't realize these things get stolen so often, good advice.