Jump to content


For those of you missing Levitre


  • Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#1 Homey D. Clown

Homey D. Clown

    Fielding Clown Questions

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Living here in Banjo land, I get to listen to sports talk every morning about teams I could care less about in all honesty, but it's better than nothing, so I tune in, really just to see what other sports radio shows sound like, compared to ours.  So, short story long, the big topic as of late is how Chris Johnson has been struggling, and not able to break runs on the inside this year, and guess whose name came up in conversation? nope.... guess again... yes, they were talking about Andy Levitre, and they were not raving about the guy in any way.  In fact, they feel like they may have overpaid for what is being perceived as middling talent.  They were concerned about his run blocking mostly, and other names along the offensive line as well, it wasn't a Levitre bash fest, but I was surprised to hear that he wasn't the second coming of Jesus Christ in guard form.  From all the comments around here, you's think we let the "all mighty" walk(on water to tennessee at that), and bashed the front office for doing so.

Maybe.... Juuuuuust maybe....  our front office was very smart in not over paying for a guard, even if we didn't have a better alternative to replace him.  sometimes you have to let a guy walk, especially one who isn't blowing it up on his new team.


Take this for what it's worth, just thought it would be nice to show a different side to what was perceived as a mistake in not keeping a guy.

Edited by Homey D. Clown, 09 October 2013 - 09:45 AM.


#2 Meatloaf Sandwich

Meatloaf Sandwich

    RFA

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Titans were screwed the second Fitz stepped on the field. Doesn't matter who is blocking.

#3 Homey D. Clown

Homey D. Clown

    Fielding Clown Questions

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostMeatloaf Sandwich, on 09 October 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Titans were screwed the second Fitz stepped on the field. Doesn't matter who is blocking.

They actually raved about how fitz came in and brought the team back...  all I saw were the crippling interceptions...

#4 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,025 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostMeatloaf Sandwich, on 09 October 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Yea I call it Fitz's magic. Make the people that don't know better root for you then when the 4th quarter comes show them how wrong they were. Lol

If he would have restructured, he would be our backup. If he was our backup, he would have led us to a win over Cleveland. I have no doubts about this.

Fitz never gave up games. Plenty of times he failed to bring the team back, but lest we forget he had plenty of games where he did lead them from behind, they fell short in a bunch of those, but that's not the point.

Can anyone here recall a game in which Fitz relinquished a lead late in the game?

#5 BarkLessWagMore

BarkLessWagMore

    Thanks Terry and Kim!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostHomey D. Clown, on 09 October 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:


Maybe.... Juuuuuust maybe....  our front office was very smart in not over paying for a guard, even if we didn't have a better alternative to replace him.  sometimes you have to let a guy walk, especially one who isn't blowing it up on his new team.


Yes, our brilliant front office that went into the season with Brown as the replacement (not to mention an undrafted free agent as our backup QB). I'd take Levitre back in a heartbeat, contract and all.

#6 Gugny

Gugny

    Beerball Brings Crudite to Football Parties

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,728 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostHomey D. Clown, on 09 October 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Living here in Banjo land, I get to listen to sports talk every morning about teams I could care less about in all honesty, but it's better than nothing, so I tune in, really just to see what other sports radio shows sound like, compared to ours.  So, short story long, the big topic as of late is how Chris Johnson has been struggling, and not able to break runs on the inside this year, and guess whose name came up in conversation? nope.... guess again... yes, they were talking about Andy Levitre, and they were not raving about the guy in any way.  In fact, they feel like they may have overpaid for what is being perceived as middling talent.  They were concerned about his run blocking mostly, and other names along the offensive line as well, it wasn't a Levitre bash fest, but I was surprised to hear that he wasn't the second coming of Jesus Christ in guard form.  From all the comments around here, you's think we let the "all mighty" walk(on water to tennessee at that), and bashed the front office for doing so.

Maybe.... Juuuuuust maybe....  our front office was very smart in not over paying for a guard, even if we didn't have a better alternative to replace him.  sometimes you have to let a guy walk, especially one who isn't blowing it up on his new team.


Take this for what it's worth, just thought it would be nice to show a different side to what was perceived as a mistake in not keeping a guy.
Great post.  In my opinion, our FO made the perfect non-move.  You don't pay a "good" guard that kind of money.  No team's success is made or broken by the play of an OG.

#7 joesixpack

joesixpack

    No longer a hermit

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think it was an error in letting him walk, no matter how badly he's perceived to be playing in Ten. He's better than Colin Brown, no doubt. The Bills are 20 MILLION dollars under the cap. There's no excuse to let ANYONE walk when you have that much coin laying around.

#8 beerme1

beerme1

    Whadda you lookin at?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostBarkLessWagMore, on 09 October 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Yes, our brilliant front office that went into the season with Brown as the replacement (not to mention an undrafted free agent as our backup QB). I'd take Levitre back in a heartbeat, contract and all.

View PostGugny, on 09 October 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Great post.  In my opinion, our FO made the perfect non-move.  You don't pay a "good" guard that kind of money.  No team's success is made or broken by the play of an OG.

I agree  :w00t:






With Gugny.

#9 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

    When it's too tough for them it's just right for us

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postjoesixpack, on 09 October 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think it was an error in letting him walk, no matter how badly he's perceived to be playing in Ten. He's better than Colin Brown, no doubt. The Bills are 20 MILLION dollars under the cap. There's no excuse to let ANYONE walk when you have that much coin laying around.

The Bills have pending FA's who might be more  worth the money than Levitre was

CBF

#10 ALF

ALF

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

It takes a lot of time together for a OL to click .Glenn , Levitre and Wood with Joe D'  coaching clicked here.

#11 papazoid

papazoid

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,279 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostCanadian Bills Fan, on 09 October 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:



The Bills have pending FA's who might be more  worth the money than Levitre was

CBF

there are ZERO pending 2014 free agents currently on the team  worth more than $4 mil/year.


carrington, chandler, branch, moats, legursky, choice, summers

Edited by papazoid, 09 October 2013 - 10:20 AM.


#12 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,025 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

View Postjoesixpack, on 09 October 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think it was an error in letting him walk, no matter how badly he's perceived to be playing in Ten. He's better than Colin Brown, no doubt. The Bills are 20 MILLION dollars under the cap. There's no excuse to let ANYONE walk when you have that much coin laying around.

View PostCanadian Bills Fan, on 09 October 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

The Bills have pending FA's who might be more  worth the money than Levitre was

CBF

View Postpapazoid, on 09 October 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

there are ZERO pending 2014 free agents currently on the team  worth more than $4 mil/year.


carrington, chandler, branch, moats, legursky, choice, summers

Can somebody please clarify? I was under the impression it has nothing to do with saving for the future and everything to do with that money being 'dead.' I seem to remember something about it being $20M that's not really there. If that's the case, can we please nip these WTF ARE THEY DOING WITH THAT $20M posts once and for all?

#13 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,909 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

View Postjoesixpack, on 09 October 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think it was an error in letting him walk, no matter how badly he's perceived to be playing in Ten. He's better than Colin Brown, no doubt. The Bills are 20 MILLION dollars under the cap. There's no excuse to let ANYONE walk when you have that much coin laying around.

I don't know if this will change your opinion at all; I just like to point out that the team won't have all that cap space forever, and decisions need to be made.  They are currently paying Urbik $4M/year, and just extended Eric Wood for $6.5M/year.  In another year and a half, they'll need to re-sign Cordy Glenn to LT money ($9M/year minimum).  You can't expect to keep every free agent, and if you intend to be a good all-around team, paying $28M/year to 4 players on the OL isn't practical.  Good teams don't do that.

You won't find a great team paying top 10 money to more than 1 or 2 offensive linemen.  According to Spotrac, here's a list of teams paying top dollar to more than 1 (with average annual salary in parenthesis):

Jets - Mangold (2) and Ferguson (7)
Broncos - Clady (1) and Vasquez (10)
Panthers - Gross (6) and Kalil (1)
Rams - Long (8) and Wells (4)
Seahawks - Okung (9) and Unger (6)
TB - Nicks (1), Joseph (5), and Zuttah (10)
NO - Evans (3) and Grubbs (7)

That's only 7 teams in the 32-team league that are paying more than 1 OL top 10 money.  When Wood's contract kicks in next year, he'll be the 4th-highest paid C in the league in terms of average salary, so saving the big money for Glenn, instead of Levitre, was a wise move IMO.

#14 DDD

DDD

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Whether you think he is overpaid or not, Levitre is a good, reliable football player and would help really any team.

#15 Bangarang

Bangarang

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postjoesixpack, on 09 October 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think it was an error in letting him walk, no matter how badly he's perceived to be playing in Ten. He's better than Colin Brown, no doubt. The Bills are 20 MILLION dollars under the cap. There's no excuse to let ANYONE walk when you have that much coin laying around.

I do believe that we will have $7 million cap hit next season because of Fitz.

#16 Gordio

Gordio

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostThe Big Cat, on 09 October 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

If he would have restructured, he would be our backup. If he was our backup, he would have led us to a win over Cleveland. I have no doubts about this.

Fitz never gave up games. Plenty of times he failed to bring the team back, but lest we forget he had plenty of games where he did lead them from behind, they fell short in a bunch of those, but that's not the point.

Can anyone here recall a game in which Fitz relinquished a lead late in the game?

Agreed.  Fitz over played his hand though.  The Bills did offer him a $3 million contract & he turned it down.  I believe he signed something similar with Tenn.

#17 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostThe Big Cat, on 09 October 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:



If he would have restructured, he would be our backup. If he was our backup, he would have led us to a win over Cleveland. I have no doubts about this.

Fitz never gave up games. Plenty of times he failed to bring the team back, but lest we forget he had plenty of games where he did lead them from behind, they fell short in a bunch of those, but that's not the point.

Can anyone here recall a game in which Fitz relinquished a lead late in the game?
the average fan will only remember he threw an INT on 3rd and 12 with 1:34 left in the 4th down 42-37.

#18 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,025 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 09 October 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

the average fan will only remember he threw an INT on 3rd and 12 with 1:34 left in the 4th down 42-37.

Is it fair to call him Romo Lite?

#19 Gugny

Gugny

    Beerball Brings Crudite to Football Parties

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,728 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postthebandit27, on 09 October 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

I don't know if this will change your opinion at all; I just like to point out that the team won't have all that cap space forever, and decisions need to be made.  They are currently paying Urbik $4M/year, and just extended Eric Wood for $6.5M/year.  In another year and a half, they'll need to re-sign Cordy Glenn to LT money ($9M/year minimum).  You can't expect to keep every free agent, and if you intend to be a good all-around team, paying $28M/year to 4 players on the OL isn't practical.  Good teams don't do that.

You won't find a great team paying top 10 money to more than 1 or 2 offensive linemen.  According to Spotrac, here's a list of teams paying top dollar to more than 1 (with average annual salary in parenthesis):

Jets - Mangold (2) and Ferguson (7)
Broncos - Clady (1) and Vasquez (10)
Panthers - Gross (6) and Kalil (1)
Rams - Long (8) and Wells (4)
Seahawks - Okung (9) and Unger (6)
TB - Nicks (1), Joseph (5), and Zuttah (10)
NO - Evans (3) and Grubbs (7)

That's only 7 teams in the 32-team league that are paying more than 1 OL top 10 money.  When Wood's contract kicks in next year, he'll be the 4th-highest paid C in the league in terms of average salary, so saving the big money for Glenn, instead of Levitre, was a wise move IMO.

Great stuff, Bandit.

#20 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostThe Big Cat, on 09 October 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:



Is it fair to call him Romo Lite?
Romo would and does blow it though. Botched field goal holds, poor passes for no reason. Romo is a starter and to be held to a different level. Fitz has never been considered a starter.

But... I guess it is fair.  Fitz is more of a gamer, though.