11 replies to this topic

#1 rockpile

rockpile

JUST WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR! (again)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Now that VCR's are about obsolete, I am looking for a non-subscription DVR for use with cable TV. I do not want more monthly rental fees! Looking for suggestions, reviews, etc.

I would like to know your opinion, what is best and at what price?

thanks,

Rockpile

#2 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,256 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

Now that VCR's are about obsolete, I am looking for a non-subscription DVR for use with cable TV. I do not want more monthly rental fees! Looking for suggestions, reviews, etc.

I would like to know your opinion, what is best and at what price?

thanks,

Rockpile

I haven't seen one in a while but they make DVD recorders that you can plug in to your TV. Of course, the DVD is going to be next on the extinction list.

#3 rockpile

rockpile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

I haven't seen one in a while but they make DVD recorders that you can plug in to your TV. Of course, the DVD is going to be next on the extinction list.

I am looking at a MAGNAVOX MDR513H/F7 HDD and DVD Recorder. It seems to work like a VCR which would be a plus to the techno challenged members of the household. I would think 500GB would be plenty, but they also have 1TB drives.

thoughts?

I wish this thread got more "hits". :thumbsup:

#4 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,256 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

I am looking at a MAGNAVOX MDR513H/F7 HDD and DVD Recorder. It seems to work like a VCR which would be a plus to the techno challenged members of the household. I would think 500GB would be plenty, but they also have 1TB drives.

thoughts?

I wish this thread got more "hits". :thumbsup:

what exactly are you looking to record? Most channels have their content up on a website within days of the original broadcast. And many file sharing site has the show within minutes.

For breaking bad I saw several uploading every commercial to commercial and having it up only minutes after downloading.

Perhaps if we had an idea what you're hoping to get it'd be different.

#5 rockpile

rockpile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

what exactly are you looking to record? Most channels have their content up on a website within days of the original broadcast. And many file sharing site has the show within minutes.

For breaking bad I saw several uploading every commercial to commercial and having it up only minutes after downloading.

Perhaps if we had an idea what you're hoping to get it'd be different.

I am looking for a practical replacement for a VCR basically.

I am looking to record live broadcasts, like a football or baseball game, and watch them "live" when my schedule allows. Sometimes I like to tape a game if I go to see it live (you miss a lot when you go to the game, that you may want to see again).

I would like to be able to record a season of a show and watch it when I want to, without paying for a Netflix subscription to watch it next year.

I work 2nd shift, so almost all prime time shows are missed. Some can be watched on cable 'playback' (which can be delayed or skip episodes).

I do watch whole seasons of shows, usually a year later, available via Roku on Netflix or Amazon Prime, but not all are free - even with a cable and Netflix subscription.

I could stream many shows from the web, but some of them require subscriptions too.

The wife is not a computer person. She does many things extremely well, but she will never be a technical person.

So I am looking for something as easy to use as a VCR, but with the advantages of a HD DVR, without renting yet another device.

:w00t:

Edited by rockpile, 16 October 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#6 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,256 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

I am looking for a practical replacement for a VCR basically.

I am looking to record live broadcasts, like a football or baseball game, and watch them "live" when my schedule allows. Sometimes I like to tape a game if I go to see it live (you miss a lot when you go to the game, that you may want to see again).

I would like to be able to record a season of a show and watch it when I want to, without paying for a Netflix subscription to watch it next year.

I work 2nd shift, so almost all prime time shows are missed. Some can be watched on cable 'playback' (which can be delayed or skip episodes).

I do watch whole seasons of shows, usually a year later, available via Roku on Netflix or Amazon Prime, but not all are free - even with a cable and Netflix subscription.

I could stream many shows from the web, but some of them require subscriptions too.

The wife is not a computer person. She does many things extremely well, but she will never be a technical person.

So I am looking for something as easy to use as a VCR, but with the advantages of a HD DVR, without renting yet another device.

:w00t:

Well, to keep it legal, I think the best way is still the internet. CBS.com, NBC.com, Fox.com, ABC.com stream their shows. You can even go back and watch older shows, like Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, and Beverly Hillbillies.

I'd think a DVD-R would be nice as long as you can can use DVDRW's. there has to be something else, wonder where Fezmid is...?

#7 rockpile

rockpile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well, to keep it legal, I think the best way is still the internet. CBS.com, NBC.com, Fox.com, ABC.com stream their shows. You can even go back and watch older shows, like Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, and Beverly Hillbillies.

I'd think a DVD-R would be nice as long as you can can use DVDRW's. there has to be something else, wonder where Fezmid is...?

Back when we all used VCR's, was it illegal to tape a game and watch it later?
If that is the case, than DVD-R or HDD would be illegal too, right. (just asking not arguing) :lol:

#8 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,256 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Back when we all used VCR's, was it illegal to tape a game and watch it later?
If that is the case, than DVD-R or HDD would be illegal too, right. (just asking not arguing) :lol:

Ha. Gosh, I remember the part of the whole schpeel "without the express written consent of the nfl" part but not if that was for viewing it outside of the home or something. I know its illegal to record off of the radio. (which, why on Sirius, you can record songs to your device - Sirius must pay publishers to play the music).

#9 UConn James

UConn James

I'm a little behind on my paperwork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,308 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:17 AM

Rock,

There's a 537H that is a newer model of that. Reviews *say* that it's available at Walmart.

I'm antenna-only and had been interested in getting a DVR for some of the same reasons several years ago but didn't seem to have many options so gave up. I remember a DTV PAL from Dish Network that was reportedly very buggy and prone to overheating. A few others that had mixed reviews and always were discontinued models. The Asian market had these things in spades, I read, but they just couldn't be sold over here, don't you know. (Full of stevestojan. It's copyright and DVD/digital sales that drove this dearth.) The excuse was that there just didn't seem to be much of a market for DVRs for people w/o cable/sat without a high price and subscription (TiVo). I said BS, we just need a GOOD product. Thanks for reopening the inquiry! I may give this a try.

#10 BuffaloBrad

BuffaloBrad

UDFA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'd highly suggest looking at Windows Media Center. With a TV tuner card, you get a free DVR that is better than 99% of the cable crap out there, You can either setup a PC hooked up to your TV or use a PC with an "extender" hooked up to the TV.

#11 rockpile

rockpile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'd highly suggest looking at Windows Media Center. With a TV tuner card, you get a free DVR that is better than 99% of the cable crap out there, You can either setup a PC hooked up to your TV or use a PC with an "extender" hooked up to the TV.

I need to keep it user friendly for others in the house who need it "VCR simple". If I had my way, most TV would be internet based or digital antenna based, not cable or other subscription. :D

#12 BuffaloBrad

BuffaloBrad

UDFA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I need to keep it user friendly for others in the house who need it "VCR simple". If I had my way, most TV would be internet based or digital antenna based, not cable or other subscription. :D

I know it's tough to believe that Microsoft made something that just works, but once it's setup, it's as simple as any other DVR when you are using an extender. In fact, I think it's a better DVR than what you typically get from the cable company. The challenge is getting a working setup without breaking the bank. You need to keep a computer running 24/7 and have a hard wired connection to each extender. When I put together my system, I had to get an Intel ethernet NIC card because the onboard Gigabit NIC on my computer's motherboard was rubbish.

I'm fairly proud of my setup. I've got a media server with four tuners, soon to be six, with 6TB dedicated to the DVR. All three of the TVs in my house connect to it. Since I'm able to forgo the Time Warner STB, I'm probably saving about $30 a month in rental fees.

I'm not really trying to talk you into this. It's just a great feature that more people need to know about.