39 replies to this topic

#1 Beebes Bubble

Beebes Bubble

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

What's the purpose of this guy? His title claims he is the "Lead Journalist" of the official Buffalo Bills website, yet I don't think he has ever once broken a story. It seems like he just searches the web to find what info has been found out by other sources, then writes a piece around it. He seems to be much more damage control than journalist.

Here's a recent example:
http://blogs.buffalo...ynn-in-buffalo/

He sites a tweet from someone else who was at the airport when Matt Flynn landed. Brown doesn't add a single thing in his article to even suggest that Flynn is there for a workout with the Bills. Per Brown, "Reports of free agent QB Matt Flynn’s presence in Buffalo is fueling speculation that the Bills are looking for more alternatives at the position."

Of course, they aren't going to include a journalist in any personnel discussions, but to keep a leash on him even after info is out there seems to lessen any credibility an official team reporter has. To not let him even affirm that Flynn was in for a workout?

I guess you do have to hand it to the front office, as it appears they are pretty good at keeping their intentions secret.

#2 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

a lot of people dont read all the rumor sites and just occasionally check out the main page.

#3 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

he works for the Bills, so he is more of PR guy than anything else. Not an objective "journalist" although he may be one by trade. He is more access than anyone else I presume, to interviews of players and staff, practices, etc. But he is not a real "reporter" at least in this current role.

#4 Buftex

Buftex

JIM KELLY: the reason for the seasons!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Not a big fan of Brown (though not a hater either) but you know, he has sort of intimted things in the past, without reporting them as fact...he was the first person I ever heard strongly suggest that the Bills had their sights on EJ Manuel this past draft.

Pretty much every pro-sports team has a guy like Brown on their staff.  There is so much information and mis-infromation on the internet these days, not sure why he would bother anyone so much.

#5 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostBeebes Bubble, on 15 October 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

What's the purpose of this guy? His title claims he is the "Lead Journalist" of the official Buffalo Bills website, yet I don't think he has ever once broken a story. It seems like he just searches the web to find what info has been found out by other sources, then writes a piece around it. He seems to be much more damage control than journalist.

Here's a recent example:
http://blogs.buffalo...ynn-in-buffalo/

He sites a tweet from someone else who was at the airport when Matt Flynn landed. Brown doesn't add a single thing in his article to even suggest that Flynn is there for a workout with the Bills. Per Brown, "Reports of free agent QB Matt Flynn’s presence in Buffalo is fueling speculation that the Bills are looking for more alternatives at the position."

Of course, they aren't going to include a journalist in any personnel discussions, but to keep a leash on him even after info is out there seems to lessen any credibility an official team reporter has. To not let him even affirm that Flynn was in for a workout?

I guess you do have to hand it to the front office, as it appears they are pretty good at keeping their intentions secret.

For that matter, when was the last time a local beat reporter broke any story? The national guys always know who the Bills have hired, released or traded for long before anyone in the supposed know ever has an inkling anything is going down.

#6 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostBuftex, on 15 October 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Not a big fan of Brown (though not a hater either) but you know, he has sort of intimted things in the past, without reporting them as fact...he was the first person I ever heard strongly suggest that the Bills had their sights on EJ Manuel this past draft.

Pretty much every pro-sports team has a guy like Brown on their staff.  There is so much information and mis-infromation on the internet these days, not sure why he would bother anyone so much.
Right, he doesn't bother me at all.... I like his insight on the team when he is on WGR on Mondays and his contributions to the website. He releases the official info from the team, without providing opinion,but people just need to know who signs his checks so you aren't going to get much criticism of the team or rumors.

#7 metzelaars_lives

metzelaars_lives

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Doesn't every team have a guy like this for their website?

#8 Beebes Bubble

Beebes Bubble

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostYoloInTheBlo, on 15 October 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Right, he doesn't bother me at all.... I like his insight on the team when he is on WGR on Mondays and his contributions to the website. He releases the official info from the team, without providing opinion,but people just need to know who signs his checks so you aren't going to get much criticism of the team or rumors.

I never mentioned a thing about opinions or rumors, nor said that he bothered me (to address Buftex comment). And of course his paycheck comes from the Bills. I am talking about confirmation of simple facts. In case you need a further example, it was a Philly beat writer who broke the Colin Brown release. The Bills need to throw Brown (the reporter) a bone once in awhile.

Edited by Beebes Bubble, 15 October 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#9 jr1

jr1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

he's like a QVC host

#10 eme123

eme123

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostChevyVanMiller, on 15 October 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

For that matter, when was the last time a local beat reporter broke any story? The national guys always know who the Bills have hired, released or traded for long before anyone in the supposed know ever has an inkling anything is going down.

The national guys get all their insider info from the agents.

#11 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Posteme123, on 15 October 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

The national guys get all their insider info from the agents.

Ayup, and oftentimes, they share the same agents.

#12 judman

judman

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

He is the "Buffalo Shill"

cool job though, right?

#13 mrags

mrags

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,218 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

View Postjr1, on 15 October 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

he's like a QVC host
id take Ayal Lalo any day of the week over CB.

#14 FluffHead

FluffHead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

View Postjudman, on 15 October 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

He is the "Buffalo Shill"

cool job though, right?

That's a good one but be careful throwing the word shill around this joint

#15 beerme1

beerme1

Whadda you lookin at?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Don't get bent about it cause you know the real story. He 's objective like Kevin Sylvester no?

#16 BUNCH OF MULARKEY

BUNCH OF MULARKEY

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

COLIN brown got released..
Not CHRIS brown...
Geesh sometimes I think you people are dillusional.....

#17 Green Lightning

Green Lightning

Mr. Peanut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

He's a PR guy for the team who writes features to keep fans interested.  He does a decent job of it. No need to beat him up for doing his job.

#18 MarkKelso'sHelmet

MarkKelso'sHelmet

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

see: public relations.  all big companies have them.  if you were running the bills, you would hire someone exactly like chris brown.  it's not complicated.

#19 ldandria

ldandria

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

Chris Brown - the official corporate lackey of the Buffalo Bills

#20 TXBILLSFAN

TXBILLSFAN

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

You would think the Bills would toss Brown a bone now and then and let him break a juicy story, too --- all the NFL teams seem to want to take care of the national guys, Schefter, Rapoport, Clayton, Mort, etc etc --- at expense of their local beat guys

I actually think most of these stories are leaked by agents of players -- that's the connection Brown should make and other Bills beat guys ---

Edited by TXBILLSFAN, 15 October 2013 - 10:06 PM.